Story Poster
Photo by Raymond Carlin III-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #2 Baylor (18-0; 10-0) at #17 KU (17-8; 11-6)

February 26, 2021

#2 Baylor (18-0; 10-0) travels to #17 Kansas (17-8; 11-6) Saturday February 27th at 7pm CST in search of history.  A season sweep of the Kansas Jayhawks and their first ever Big12 title.  The game will be televised on ESPN.  

Prediction:  Baylor 75 Kansas 69

Coaching

Kansas:  Bill Self (58); 724- 222 (518-117 at KU) 21 NCAAs; 13 Sweet 16; 10 Elite 8; 3 Final 4; 1 NC; 5 Level 1 Viol

Baylor: Scott Drew (51); 382-222 overall (362-211 at Baylor); 8 NCAAs; 4 Sweet 16s; 2 Elite 8s

Head to Head:  Self 25-6

Last 6:  Self 3-3

Kansas Starters

Name Pos Class Ht Wt PPG RPG APG FG% 3pt% FT%
Marcus Garrett PG SR 6-5 205 10.0 4.4 3.7 45 31 82
Christian Braun SG SO 6-6 210 10.3 5.1 1.9 41 36 79
Ochai Agbaji SF JR 6-5 215 13.8 3.5 1.9 41 39 71
Jalen Wilson PF FR 6-8 220 12.8 8.2 2.2 44 35 64
Dave McCormack C JR 6-10 250 13.0 6.0 1.1 50 100 80

Kansas Bench

Bryce Thompson G FR 6-5 190 5.4 1.7 1.2 40 24 67
DaJuan Harris G FR 6-1 170 1.6 1.0 2.0 39 57 67
Mitch Lightfoot F SR 6-8 225 3.2 2.5 0.1 49 20 64

Baylor Starters

Namee Pos  Class Ht Wt PPG RPG APG FG% 3pt% FT%
Davion Mitchell PG JR 6-2 205 13.4 2.8 5.7 53 48 72
Jared Butler SG JR 6-3 195 17.1 3.3 5.1 49 45 74
MaCio Teague SF SR 6-4 195 14.7 4.0 1.6 47 35 87
Mark Vital PF SR 6-5 240 5.7 5.9 1.2 47 0 54
Flo Thamba C JR 6-10 250 3.7 4.6 0.2 60 0 56

Baylor Bench

Adam Flagler G SO 6-3 180 10.9 2.1 1.6 51 44 80
Jon Tchamwa F SO 6-8 245 7.8 6.4 0.4 60 0 76
Matt Mayer F JR 6-9 225 7.9 3.8 1.1 60 0 76
LJ Cryer G FR 6-1 185 4.7 0.6 1.1 43 41 67
Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #2 Baylor (18-0; 10-0) at #17 KU (17-8; 11-6)

21,707 Views | 300 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ColoradoGRN&GLD
DanaDane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Updated KenPom now has

Gonzaga - 36.98
Michigan - 33.76
Baylor - 31.35

We've gone from Top 3 in Adjusted D for most of the year, to now #16 after the past 2 games.
historian
We keep winning, we can easily get back to #2 and eventually #1. If the team can get back to 100%--meaning playing the way they were a few weeks ago--and learn from the mistakes, we will be back to being unbeatable.

With only one more win in the regular season, if I understand correctly, we still get a lock on the Big 12 title. We still have a very real potential of winning the Big 12 tournament. And we could still make it to the Final Four & maybe win it all.

This is a disappointment but we need to focus on what is next. No doubt Drew and the rest of the staff will have a similar message. These guys are resilient. They will bounce back.

I was really looking forward to sweeping Kansas. It still could happen, just not in 2021.
ColoradoGRN&GLD
Long term, I don't think this loss will have any effect, negative or positive. Weak legs lead to slow rotations and short shots, and the team is clearly not in game shape after the 3 week layoff.. Simple as that.

In a normal year, I might be able to convince myself that this loss is ultimately a good thing as it could refocus the team for the home stretch. With this disjointed season, I just see more of the same chaos that they have already been dealing with. Of course, I was hoping that they would come out of the layoff guns-a-blazin, but they really do seem to be greatly fatigued compared to what we've seen in the earlier parts of the season.
IowaBear
You don't just flip a switch and bam we're back to how we were playing. This team built to that point over the course of the season. Looking at these next 3 I'm having a hard time seeing a W. Not because we won't improve but because of who we play. I wouldn't be shocked to see 18-4 headed into B12 tournament. I'm hoping for 20-2 but at this point that may be wishful thinking
historian
Granted. But it's also possible to win at least 1-2 of those games. We only need 1 to have a lock on the conference title.
ColoradoGRN&GLD
historian said:

We keep winning, we can easily get back to #2 and eventually #1. If the team can get back to 100%--meaning playing the way they were a few weeks ago--and learn from the mistakes, we will be back to being unbeatable.

With only one more win in the regular season, if I understand correctly, we still get a lock on the Big 12 title. We still have a very real potential of winning the Big 12 tournament. And we could still make it to the Final Four & maybe win it all.

This is a disappointment but we need to focus on what is next. No doubt Drew and the rest of the staff will have a similar message. These guys are resilient. They will bounce back.

I was really looking forward to sweeping Kansas. It still could happen, just not in 2021.
You are correct. If Baylor wins 1 more, OR WVU loses 1 more, Baylor will win the Big12 championship.
Bryceb
Agreed and if the defense doesnt get to were it was I dont see us making it very far in MM either
boognish_bear
ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

Long term, I don't think this loss will have any effect, negative or positive. Weak legs lead to slow rotations and short shots, and the team is clearly not in game shape after the 3 week layoff.. Simple as that.

In a normal year, I might be able to convince myself that this loss is ultimately a good thing as it could refocus the team for the home stretch. With this disjointed season, I just see more of the same chaos that they have already been dealing with. Of course, I was hoping that they would come out of the layoff guns-a-blazin, but they really do seem to be greatly fatigued compared to what we've seen in the earlier parts of the season.

It's a rough two-headed monster....just missing 3 weeks of games and practice in itself will have a bad impact on game stamina....mix in some players recovering from Covid and that's a recipe for bad news in an endurance sport like bball.
EvilTroyAndAbed
ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

historian said:

You are correct. If Baylor wins 1 more, OR WVU loses 1 more, Baylor will win the Big12 championship.
We'll need to beat them. WVU ain't losing their other games.
boognish_bear
ColoradoGRN&GLD
IowaBear said:

You don't just flip a switch and bam we're back to how we were playing. This team built to that point over the course of the season. Looking at these next 3 I'm having a hard time seeing a W. Not because we won't improve but because of who we play. I wouldn't be shocked to see 18-4 headed into B12 tournament. I'm hoping for 20-2 but at this point that may be wishful thinking
Have faith, brother bear! haha. We played like trash tonight (for good reason), had the stripes against us, and still had a chance to win with just a couple minutes left. We'll be ok.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Trash fan base

DanaDane
Staff is gonna have to come up with a better plan to stop Culver than they had tonight for McCormack. He's much more agile and athletic with the ball and under the boards.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Bryceb said:

Yep everyone saying it's not gonna happen but mark my words it will be Gonzaga 1 Michigan 2 and Bears 3. All from one loss also they exposed that we truly dont have a dominant big man like they do.
Mark your words? It's pretty much consensus that we'll be third. Michigan hasn't lost in weeks.
Bear8084
boognish_bear said:

Trash fan base

I love that everyone is piling on them too.
ColoradoGRN&GLD
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

historian said:

Thats where the "OR" comes in.

If WVU loses a game, we can forfeit all of the rest of ours and still win the conference. When we win 1 more, it's the same result.
Johnny Bear
ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

historian said:

If WVU loses a game, we can forfeit all of the rest of ours and still win the conference. When we win 1 more, it's the same result.

As far as winning the conference goes I've got a feeling it's gonna come down to us needing to at least split our last two games which are both at the Ferrell Center. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking Tuesday is going to be loss number two to a WVU team that's going to win out based on how they're playing and the fact that they're getting to end their conference schedule with four straight home games.
StatMan
I hope Baylor shoots better from 3-point range, and free throw % vs West Virginia. It still might not be enough in Morgantown, because of the endurance and stamina not quite where it was prior to the Coronavirus extended break. It could be the Ferrell Center with a win over Oklahoma State before 2,000+ fans when Baylor earns it's 1st Big XII Conference regular season title.
ColoradoGRN&GLD
Johnny Bear said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

historian said:

As far as winning the conference goes I've got a feeling it's gonna come down to us needing to at least split our last two games which are both at the Ferrell Center. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking Tuesday is going to be loss number two to a WVU team that's going to win out based on how they're playing and the fact that they're getting to end their conference schedule with four straight home games.
You may be right. Morgantown is a tough place to play and we still might not have our legs at game strength. OSU and TTU are both playing well, but I 100% trust that Coach Drew will have our guys ready and able to win at least one of those games in Waco.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.