Story Poster
Photo by @Ben Ludeman-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #3 Baylor (18-1; 10-1) at #6 WVU (17-6; 10-4)

March 1, 2021

#3 Baylor (18-1; 10-1) travels to #6 West Virginia (17-6; 10-4) March 2nd at 4:00pm CST.  The game will be televised on ESPN.

KenPom Prediction:  Baylor 78 West Virginia 74

Coaches:

West Virginia:  Bob Huggins (67); 898-378 (308-167 at WVU) 24 NCAAs; 8 Sweet 16s; 4 Elite 8s; 2 Final 4s

Baylor:  Scott Drew (50); 382-223 overall (362-212 at Baylor); 8 NCAAs; 4 Sweet 16s; 2 Elite 8s

Head to Head:  Scott Drew 11-9

West Virginia Starters

Name Pos Class Ht Wt PPG RPG APG FG% 3pt% FT%
Deuce McBride PG SO 6-2 200 15.5 4.0 4.6 43 43 80
Sean McNeil SG JR 6-3 210 11.7 1.9 0.7 41 40 89
Taz Sherman SF SR 6-4 190 13.0 2.0 0.9 41 36 86
Emmitt Matthews PF JR 6-7 215 7.7 3.9 1.2 41 29 79
Derek Culver C JR 6-10 255 15.0 10.1 1.1 50 0 59

West Virginia Bench

Jalen Bridges F FR 6-7 220 5.0 2.8 0.3 51 42 53
Gabe Osabuohein F SR 6-7 235 1.7 4.6 2.3 33 50 39
Jordan McCabe G JR 6-0 190 2.5 1.3 1.5 30 21 85

Baylor Starters

Davion Mitchell PG JR 6-2 205 13.4 2.7 5.6 51 47 69
Jared Butler SG JR 6-3 195 16.4 3.2 4.9 48 43 74
MaCio Teague SF SR 6-4 195 14.8 4.2 1.6 46 35 87
Mark Vital  PF SR 6-5 250 5.8 5.9 1.3 47 0 49
Flo Thamba C JR 6-10 245 4.0 4.5 0.2 64 0 57

Baylor Bench

Adam Flagler G SO 6-3 180 10.5 2.1 1.5 49 43 80
Jon Tchamwa F SO 6-9 245 7.5 6.0 0.3 59 0 76
Matt Mayer F JR 6-9 225 7.5 3.6 1.1 51 45 55
LJ Cryer G FR 6-1 185 4.4 0.6 1.0 43 41 67
Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #3 Baylor (18-1; 10-1) at #6 WVU (17-6; 10-4)

17,387 Views | 270 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by historian
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just win Bears!
Ewalker80
I think the biggest key is increasing our defensive intensity and battling with them on the boards. A more healthy JTT (who is our second leading rebounder) would be a huge boost in the rebounding department. If we can play closer to normal defense and stay relatively close in rebounds, I think we likely win. If not it will require a great shooting day, which we don't want to count on on the road after a 3-week pause.
IowaBear
We're the better overall team. And when healthy a complete WV does not match up at all. But after Saturday I have very little faith that will get a dub tomm. A lot of things would need to change. The defensive intensity/defensive rebounding for starters. If they kill us on the glass it's going to be a long game again. Got to think the 3pt shooting will come around. It can't get much worse then these last 2 games from a 3pt shooting perspective.
BellCountyBear
L#2 on the way.
fubar
Did Lomers make the trip?
gobears20
Staff
We can do this!
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
BUbackerinET
Just don't think so, chicken little. JTT had Covid legs, and therefore our rebounding was substantially sub-par on Saturday. Add to that the fact that all of our guards had bad nights on the same night, and you're going to lose against Kansas almost always. Doubt both of those power outages happen again tomorrow.
william
lwtt.

- kkm

gb!
BellCountyBear
BUbackerinET said:

Just don't think so, chicken little. JTT had Covid legs, and therefore our rebounding was substantially sub-par on Saturday. Add to that the fact that all of our guards had bad nights on the same night, and you're going to lose against Kansas almost always. Doubt both of those power outages happen again tomorrow.
Put your money on it. $20 or $50? Good either way. What apps do you use?
BUbackerinET
Sorry, friend don't bet on my Bears - any team. Just don't do it.
IowaBear
How's everyone feeling about this one? I see a 7-10 point loss. But I've been pleasantly surprised before so I'm a little optimistic.
BUbackerinET
I think we bounce back, but I wouldn't bet on it - just too many variables with this Covid situation - mostly related to stamina.
ImABearToo
I think we'll see a close game throughout but our conditioning becomes an issue in the last five minutes. Rubber legs catch up to us and Neers wear us down and sit on a 5-7 point lead in last 60 seconds. We get rested and healthy after this game and are unbeatable in the final stretch run. Natty on the Brazos.
BUbackerinET
Very well could happen, but I think we dig deep and conquer the stamina issue, and prevail in a very close game - final possession - they miss a 3 to tie, we win by 3. And then get all hands healthy and big runs in both tournaments, ending in a final 4 appearance.
MrGolfguy
I expect Butler to have a big bounce back, coming off possibly his worst game since he's been at Baylor.
As for the team, the last 2 games are troubling but i think they are working their way back to form and this game is a toss up to me; wouldn't be surprised with a BU win or another sluggish looking loss.
Quinton
Crazy the #4 team is Illinois who we handled and has 6 losses. How many losses would take us below 3? It wouldn't make sense until 4 or so but I'm sure recency bias is strong. We're only 100 ahead somehow
StatMan
I honestly don't feel good about Baylor's chances against West Virginia tonight. Even if the Bears shoot and score more consistently, it still might not be enough for a win at Morgantown. Better chance of becoming 2021 Big XII Conference Champions at the Ferrell Center in Waco Thursday night. I'll watch the action late this afternoon and early evening, but will be somewhat nervous most of the basketball game.
Texasjeremy
StatMan said:

I honestly don't feel good about Baylor's chances against West Virginia tonight. Even if the Bears shoot and score more consistently, it still might not be enough for a win at Morgantown. Better chance of becoming 2021 Big XII Conference Champions at the Ferrell Center in Waco Thursday night. I'll watch the action late this afternoon and early evening, but will be somewhat nervous most of the basketball game.
Thank you
IowaBear
It's weird that's it's 3:30... and almost tip off
MrGolfguy
Texasjeremy said:

StatMan said:

Thank you
StatMan
Ready to watch this Top 10 showdown on ESPN from 'StatMan Sports Central'. SIC 'EM, BEARS!
BUbackerinET
Good signs of life early
Jacques Strap
Great start.

36 more minutes like that and we'll all be happy.
BUbackerinET
Mitchell may go off here - he's looking good, both off the dribble and from 3.
vanillabryce
Defense looks quicker today
vanillabryce
Culver is great at drawing fouls. He's able to make explosive moves and draw fouls while being under control
vanillabryce
Mitchell w 8 points
BUbackerinET
BS call on JTT there
vanillabryce
100% BS
vanillabryce
Mayer w great look to Vital.
ImABearToo
We have that look in our eyes again. Confidence.
vanillabryce
Vital 0-2 from line
BUbackerinET
Foul discrepancy a little concerning to me at this point.
DanaDane
Vital at the FT line is almost equivalent to an automatic turnover.
BUbackerinET
1-4 overall made 1 of 2 earlier

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.