Interesting names in the portal

53,901 Views | 353 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by sicem45
BaylorBears_254
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We'll more than likely take 2 guards. Other positions are pretty filled.

Id wait it out a liiiitle bit more for the best available
Swamp
Jada would make for 4 guards in the 5'6" to 5'8" range with Sarah, Jana, and Jaden. We were taken to the woodshed this year with big guards posting up our height compromised guards. Sure we have the 2 transfers to fill the big guard role, but do these 4 small guards want to split 40 minutes? As much as I like Jada's game, unless one of our other 3 is hitting the portal we should pass. With Jada, it's a roster that could look good alotta nights, but not in tourney time.
BaylorBears_254
Almost certain that Jana won't log many minutes next year unless she takes a huge step forward with her game.

Get the best combo guard there is available, and another PG.
Baylorbearsupporter
I think Cat and Erika can transfer out, and I mean this in the most nicest way possible but I also feel like they aren't going to transfer no matter what bc it's not gonna look good for either of them if they leave, as far as what's next.

Am I wrong for saying this?
Brusinbear2001
But playing with 3 players above 6 foot is something we rarely did because of depth issues and next year we should be able to do that consistently.
Adriacus Peratuun
Baylorbearsupporter said:

I think Cat and Erika can transfer out, and I mean this in the most nicest way possible but I also feel like they aren't going to transfer no matter what bc it's not gonna look good for either of them if they leave, as far as what's next.

Women are more realistic about playing days ending & the need to get a degree.

But Ferreira is the current player most likely to make a big jump this Summer. Baylor is her first highly structured BB environment. It takes time.

And unlike Van Gytenbeek, Ferreira isn't physically overmatched. Skill development, time in the systems [O & D], and a ton of pickup games against quality opponents can cause a big jump in her game.
WacoKelly83
Brusinbear2001
How many years can Cat play at Baylor in total? I think she can benefit greatly from us having an experienced big guard to take her under their wing and work with her. As you said, she is physically gifted; the coaches even said she grew a lot over the summer. It was tough for her to grow and learn the system all at once and do scouts. I can see her being someone they might count on as that Big Guard. We did not see her development in practice and things but who knows.
Adriacus Peratuun
Brusinbear2001 said:

How many years can Cat play at Baylor in total? I think she can benefit greatly from us having an experienced big guard to take her under their wing and work with her. As you said, she is physically gifted; the coaches even said she grew a lot over the summer. It was tough for her to grow and learn the system all at once and do scouts. I can see her being someone they might count on as that Big Guard. We did not see her development in practice and things but who knows.
Think one more plus her COVID year.
BUMBA1
Are we looking at Ashley Owesu?
Brusinbear2001
I would doubt it, I do not know if the issues and things people have said she brings could impact the culture we are trying to set. She is a beast of a player, and the VT side of that story is also very messy. She says that at Maryland she wanted a different role and that's why she left. She most likely will have to sit out a year because of the two-time transfer rule. With the way she left, I highly doubt VT signs any waiver. But I also think NCAA got tighter with the two-time transfer rule as well this offseason,
blueeyedbear
6'1" Aneesah Morrow - DePaul

Career: 2022-23 25.7 PPG - 42.5% - 53 3PT's - 12.2 RBPG - 64.6 FT %
1,000 career points in 43 Games -

Career: 2021-22 All-American Second Team by Associated Press (AP), U.S. Basketball Writers Association (USBWA), Sports Illustrated, The Athletic... WBCA All-America Honorable Mention... USBWA, WBCA and The Athletic National Freshman of the Year... ESPN TOP FRESHMAN IN THE COUNTRY... Naismith Trophy and World Exposure Report National Player of the Week... USBWA National Freshman of the Week a record five times... BIG EAST Player of the Week three times... BIG EAST FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK A RECORD 13 TIMES times... set DePaul single-season record for rebounds (457) and rebounding average 13.8)... set BIG EAST single-game rebounding record with 27 at Seton Hall... John Wooden Player of the Year finalist... Naismith Trophy Player of the Year finalist... Katrina McClain Power Forward of the Year Award finalist... NAISMITH DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR TOP 10 FINALIST.... led the nation in rebounds per game... BIG EAST Freshman of the Year, All-BIG EAST First Team and BIG EAST All-Freshmen Team (all unanimous by coaches voting)...

Quoted as saying "Though she liked playing close to home, Morrow told the Tribune in January: "I do feel like I'm kind of overlooked. I feel like numbers don't lie. And at the end of the day, my numbers are not lying."
Brusinbear2001
She is a GREAT PLAYER but look at it this way we have Aijha and Dre this season. I think them leaving next year makes Baylor look desirable for a player like Justice Carolton and Joyce Edwards.

Morrow will be a Junior with that season and one more year left after that. I think we have to start balancing out. our classes so we do not have a mass exodus with graduation. But who knows
blueeyedbear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Baylorbearsupporter said:

Women are more realistic about playing days ending & the need to get a degree.

But Ferreira is the current player most likely to make a big jump this Summer. Baylor is her first highly structured BB environment. It takes time.

And unlike Van Gytenbeek, Ferreira isn't physically overmatched. Skill development, time in the systems [O & D], and a ton of pickup games against quality opponents can cause a big jump in her game.
I too look for Catarina to have a very productive upcoming season after a summer of weights and the extra practice time the Italy and Greece trip will allow for. Also, it's has to be calculated how much of a positive impact there will be when her friend Lety joins her on the team.
blueeyedbear
Brusinbear2001 said:

She is a GREAT PLAYER but look at it this way we have Aijha and Dre this season. I think them leaving next year makes Baylor look desirable for a player like Justice Carolton and Joyce Edwards.

Morrow will be a Junior with that season and one more year left after that. I think we have to start balancing out. our classes so we do not have a mass exodus with graduation. But who knows

I won't argue with that - balance is good.
I prefer to develop talent then have to import it every season.
I am looking for a team next year that will make a very deep run in the tournament so recruits like Carolton and Edwards want to come here to win Championships.
I do not see Morrow as a deterrent to recruits like Carolton and Edwards - she will be a senior when they are Frosh and a good player to learn the ropes from.
However, BU IMO is a longshot for A. Morrow and Kiki Jefferson but it's fun to speculate what if !!!
Brusinbear2001
A lot of people are saying South Carolina for Morrow, but I think they have recruits that still need playing time. It will be interesting to see what South Carolina can do to manage these big recruiting classes they had and them not getting a ton of minutes yet. I think if she brings in a player like Morrow she will definitely lose one of the kids from the 2021 class.
Brusinbear2001
I agree with this a lot!! Hopefully, they can have a little duo action for us in the future, the Brazilian Connection!!
Bear3
I also read that Morrow is friends with Angel Reese and was at Championship Game. LSU could also be possibility.
Brusinbear2001
I personally have not seen her play besides when they did that preseason game at UT but I do not think she played much or at all to protect from injury.
BUMBA1
Brusinbear2001 said:

I would doubt it, I do not know if the issues and things people have said she brings could impact the culture we are trying to set. She is a beast of a player, and the VT side of that story is also very messy. She says that at Maryland she wanted a different role and that's why she left. She most likely will have to sit out a year because of the two-time transfer rule. With the way she left, I highly doubt VT signs any waiver. But I also think NCAA got tighter with the two-time transfer rule as well this offseason,

Good points! Thanks for sharing. Slightly bummed because I love her game but will trust the coaching staff in this one. She was an absolute baller at Maryland.
Baylorbearsupporter
Baylorbearsupporter
Coach Nicki have now started following anessah morrow on instagram, which means she interested in having her, and she's now being ranked the #1 transfer.
Bear3
I have a feeling it will require a lot of NIL money to get Morrow.
Brusinbear2001
I think being on a better team alone will get her more NIL our players do have some deals I see them post all the time. I think if we have a big season the NIL deals go up just like with any program.

But I do get what you are saying it's almost like the bribe money type thing to get them here. I think we can get her ready for the league, she will have a great team around her so it might seem like a step back for her because I do not think she will have to be the number option night in and out. I think if we do get her it will make Dre have to be the 5 and Madison back her up so that Morrow can play the 4 I can see her and Aijha playing that and making the two freshman our wings. I think DLB will have to get more range to really be a wing but she is built for it perfectly.
blueeyedbear
Brusinbear2001 said:

I think being on a better team alone will get her more NIL our players do have some deals I see them post all the time. I think if we have a big season the NIL deals go up just like with any program.

But I do get what you are saying it's almost like the bribe money type thing to get them here. I think we can get her ready for the league, she will have a great team around her so it might seem like a step back for her because I do not think she will have to be the number option night in and out. I think if we do get her it will make Dre have to be the 5 and Madison back her up so that Morrow can play the 4 I can see her and Aijha playing that and making the two freshman our wings. I think DLB will have to get more range to really be a wing but she is built for it perfectly.
DLB has been working on that transition.
Brusinbear2001
I really think once she gets that down and can handle the ball she is unstoppable, and we will be talking about her as a Baylor great. She already has started off on the right track to do that.
Brusinbear2001
Jakia Brown-Turner out of NC State has committed to Mayland
Adriacus Peratuun
Brusinbear2001 said:

Traditional positions don't mean very much these days.

Theoretically Buggs and Fontleroy played the same "position" this past year. When Buggs was in the game she functioned at the high post or as a slasher. When Fontleroy was in the game she roamed the 3 point line, ran off baseline picks [setting or receiving], or ran pick & pop.

Collen runs a form of positionless basketball [but not a motion version of positionless like old UConn] focused on what individual players do well. Ultimately rotation decisions will focus on having enough creators, enough shooters [especially outside shooters to create space], and sufficient defensive matchup capability and not on players playing a certain "position".

Dcheetah
How much does size matter in her scheme?
Brusinbear2001
I guess I just have seen it run a little bit more position based because of players like Lyss and Queen being true post-players, you are right though we do see Buggs and Bella run different things. I think whoever suits up CNC will figure out a way to put them in the best situation possible.
Adriacus Peratuun
Dcheetah said:

How much does size matter in her scheme?
O? Little.

Obviously you want to be able to generate extra possessions through offensive rebounds. And bigs usually are better screeners than smalls. But the biggest key on O is skills.

D. Much.

You need size to defend size.
You need speed & quickness to defend speed & quickness.
Teams are going to force switches. Tiny guards get abused. Lumbering bigs get abused.
You have to finish D possessions with D rebounds.

Also Collen indicated a strong preference to play "switch everything" D which [if you have the size, speed & discipline to do it correctly] destroys all ballscreen action and really hinders motion based offenses.
Brusinbear2001
the guard spot what type of guard do you think would be best then? Do you think a player like Jada Walker will beneficial to our team or will we need a true big guard? I know CNC says that the 3 and the 4 spots have different assignments when it comes to the scheme we run so having a heavy forward lineup do you think she adjusts the scheme or do we have players that can make that transition easier?

Watching Bella play and how she played around the 3-point line a lot more I feel she can make that transition the quickest. We do not know what Dre has been doing and Aijha. I am just really anxious to see how these puzzle pieces come together because there will be a lot of good ones. And recently our staff has started to follow Morrow so we might be interested in that as well. What could you see happening?
Adriacus Peratuun
Brusinbear2001 said:

the guard spot what type of guard do you think would be best then? Do you think a player like Jada Walker will beneficial to our team or will we need a true big guard? I know CNC says that the 3 and the 4 spots have different assignments when it comes to the scheme we run so having a heavy forward lineup do you think she adjusts the scheme or do we have players that can make that transition easier?

Watching Bella play and how she played around the 3-point line a lot more I feel she can make that transition the quickest. We do not know what Dre has been doing and Aijha. I am just really anxious to see how these puzzle pieces come together because there will be a lot of good ones. And recently our staff has started to follow Morrow so we might be interested in that as well. What could you see happening?
The team definitely needs:

#1: guard that has good length and is a high quality 3 point shooter.

#2: backup point guard [press breaker, solid shooter, great creator, able to consistently beat defenders off the bounce]

#3: [luxury item] one more post that can rim roll, rebound at a high level, and function as a rim protector.

If the staff lands the first two [combined with the current post "get"] it is a hugely successful portal season.
Landing all three above would be a grand slam.

Buggs and Fontleroy are well situated to play together [court time]. Fontleroy can function as a wing on O but is better suited to defend a big. Buggs is solid as a high post big on O but can defend on the wing.
Their skills mesh.

Buggs needs to not play with Owens. Consistent outside shooting at 4 positions will help the O percolate.
74Bear
Sources on Twitter saying Sedona Prince withdraws from wnba draft and enters portal.
Giving credit, reported by Em Adler, whoever that is
blueeyedbear
74Bear said:

Sources on Twitter saying Sedona Prince withdraws from wnba draft and enters portal.
Giving credit, reported by Em Adler, whoever that is
Its true - I wonder if Vic will bring her back to Texas ???

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.