Interesting names in the portal

52,483 Views | 353 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by sicem45
Dcheetah
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Great Houston area HS player and came in with Rori but looking to get out even before tourney. Sifting has begun.

KY has some interesting guards one of whom is the sister to number 1 HS recruit Jaloni Cambridge.

blueeyedbear
Dcheetah said:

Great Houston area HS player and came in with Rori but looking to get out even before tourney. Sifting has begun.

KY has some interesting guards one of whom is the sister to number 1 HS recruit Jaloni Cambridge.

I have it from a reliable source that former 4 star Lilly Stoddard 6'3" G from Purdue will enter the Portal tomorrow. She only appeared in 6 games with minimal stats. She was recruited by Purdue's former coach and apparently new coach is not a fit for her. Originally recruited by Iowa, Arizona State, Colorado, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Washington.
Her rep is good defensive player, offense needs work, runs the court well,
baylor1984
No more short guards please unless they are exceptionally good players aka a Rori Harmon or an Azzi Fudd type of player. Fudd's 5'11 so she isn't exactly short but would prefer 6 ft. plus.
Wbbfan29
There is a rumor that Aneesha Morrow might enter the portal. If true, she will make any team twice as good. I would think she would go to the Sec.
Adriacus Peratuun
If Kendall Hunter is 5'8 then I am the Pope. And I am not Catholic.
Max Roguespierre
Wbbfan29 said:

There is a rumor that Aneesha Morrow might enter the portal. If true, she will make any team twice as good. I would think she would go to the Sec.
Aneesah Morrow is a very good player but as the season progressed she has morphed into a volume scorer who takes a lot of bad shots. Some of that has to do with DePaul being a bad offensive team but Morrow's indiscriminate shooting has led to her putting up 42.5 FG% and 25.4 3P%. As DePaul's season went south so did Morrow's shooting percentages. In other words, she kept her scoring high by pumping up as many shots as possible including over 6 3-pointers per game even though she is clearly not efficient from long range.

To me, there are serious questions about her coachability and fit in a team where she is not the featured player.

As always, your mileage may vary.
Dcheetah
Good info - Thanks!
DFW Bill
Morrow is just a Sophomore with two more years of eligibility. She averaged 25.7 points a game and 12.2 rebounds. A terrific offensive rebounder, she will be highly recruited. Shot 51.7 as a Freshman, 13 rebounds per game while averaging over 21 points a game.
KIA
A front line group of Edwards, Blackwell, Littlepage-Buggs, Fontleroy, Abraham, and Lety will be stout.

Andrews will have one of the guard spots, but our biggest need seems to be another good, dependable guard beside her.

I do think we will bring at least 2 in from the portal.
BU71
KIA said:

A front line group of Edwards, Blackwell, Littlepage-Buggs, Fontleroy, Abraham, and Lety will be stout.

Andrews will have one of the guard spots, but our biggest need seems to be another good, dependable guard beside her.

I do think we will bring at least 2 in from the portal.

A couple of SG/wings with length and above average 3 point shooting ability would be very good. If one is a good defender that would be great!
bawitdaball
We need a ball handler and a 3-pt threat, both will take pressure off of Andrews, both from being heavily guarded and from feeling like she has to do too much. Owens turns over the ball at a high rate at times and to me isn't consistent enough to build an offense around. She is a complimentary player. Need someone to keep the defense honest. With Edwards and Blackwell, teams will crowd the paint unless we can give them a reason to guard all five positions.
blueeyedbear
bawitdaball said:

We need a ball handler and a 3-pt threat, both will take pressure off of Andrews, both from being heavily guarded and from feeling like she has to do too much. Owens turns over the ball at a high rate at times and to me isn't consistent enough to build an offense around. She is a complimentary player. Need someone to keep the defense honest. With Edwards and Blackwell, teams will crowd the paint unless we can give them a reason to guard all five positions.
Ownes 85 TO
Sarah 80 TO
Caitlin 73 TO

It's a wide open race for the most TO
Adriacus Peratuun
blueeyedbear said:

bawitdaball said:

Ownes 85 TO
Sarah 80 TO
Caitlin 73 TO

It's a wide open race for the most TO
But Andrews is the main wing initiator and Bickle is the main high post initiator. Owens' TOs should be less than 50% of theirs.
Bone Squad
Owens has 5 more turnovers than the next highest player, but 42 more assists than the next person. 172/85 is a solid 2 to 1 ATO. Nothing to complain about.

What drives me nuts about Owens is all the missed layups.

Adriacus Peratuun
Bone Squad said:

Owens has 5 more turnovers than the next highest player, but 42 more assists than the next person. 172/85 is a solid 2 to 1 ATO. Nothing to complain about.

If Owens comes off the bench and logs minutes against opponent's bench players, her stats improve immensely.

She can be a really solid "15 minutes off the bench" role player.

Starter logging big minutes? Hard to make prime rib from rump roast.
bawitdaball
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Bone Squad said:

If Owens comes off the bench and logs minutes against opponent's bench players, her stats improve immensely.

Yup - a roll player is her ideal usage.
blueeyedbear
bawitdaball said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Bone Squad said:

Yup - a roll player is her ideal usage.
I would agree with that.!! Solid 15 from her would be ideal IF we can find a 5'10" or taller cat quick transfer that can play stellar defense and shoot respectable 3 ball %.
Wbbfan29
Cal transfer and leading scorer Jayda Curry and CNC are now following each other on Instagram.
Dcheetah
I wonder if JJ Quinerly will be looking to move with a new coach? A little shorter than we want at 5'8 but tough, elite acceleration and quick hands. Was 1st team all Big 12 and All Defensive team. Not good 3 pt stats but with next year's team I think she would get more open looks and I would expect that to improve. If she comes out, I hope we look at her. Not a lot of assts for minutes played so we would have to make sure she was a team and culture fit if available.
Dcheetah
https://calbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/jayda-curry/21368

Jayda is short but can fill it up and elite at getting to the line. Pac-12 Frosh of the year
blueeyedbear
Wbbfan29 said:

Cal transfer and leading scorer Jayda Curry are now following each other on Instagram.
Who is following Jayda Curry on instagram ?
Wbbfan29
CNC.. sorry.
Wbbfan29
I noticed CNC started following two Tranfers. Jayla from Cal and Jada walker from Kentucky (Edwards ex teammate). Both are short.
blueeyedbear
Wbbfan29 said:

I noticed CNC started following two Tranfers. Jayla from Cal and Jada walker from Kentucky (Edwards ex teammate). Both are short.
so is Rori Harmon - they are very Rori Harmon like except a little bit taller.
Dawn Staley was very complementary of Jada - would not be surprised she takes a run at her.
Wbbfan29
Jayla reminds me a little bit of Andrew's. Very shifty and can create space.
blueeyedbear
Wbbfan29 said:

Jayla reminds me a little but of Andrew's. Very shifty and can create space.
I would like to know Sarah's vertical. She has done some blocks this year that really caught my attention.
Pac 12 Freshman is still a pretty good indicator that she can play at the D1 level. She will get a lot of offers !
Dcheetah
Wbbfan29
Her step back is one of the best I have ever seen. She can drive and hit the three!! She is short but too good to pass on. She is following CNC and Coach Chole. I hope that is a good indication that she is interested in BU.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqB3KTDjknG/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Max Roguespierre
Curry is a good player but she is a volume scorer. Her 3-point shot is marginal in the low 30s percentagewise and her overall FG% hovered around 38% in her two years at Cal. And her playmaking is rather unremarkable as well, this past season she averaged 3.5 assists and 2.3 turnovers per game.

Oddly enough, she appears remarkably similar to Sarah Andrews.
Wbbfan29
She is pretty much the only good person on Cal's team. She really doesnt have much help, which can contribute to high volume shooting. (Example, Asberry - when she was at OKST) That changes when you have other good players on a team. I am pretty sure that CNC can coach her up. I would definitely welcome a former pac 12 FOY.
HoustonBear15
Jayda Curry broke the Pac-12 record for most consecutive regular season games with a made 3. Her number is 46, passing Shay Murphy of USC from 2006. Third on the list is Kelsey Plum with 38 and 4th is Sabrina Ionescu with 34.
BBWCBear
bawitdaball said:

The last true three point threat BU had was Emily Niemann, a true three point threat. I'm still disappointed in our passing skills or lack there of plus the defense just isn't what I view we have had in the past. ALL correctable, just not sure this staff will refine that.
bawitdaball
BBWCBear said:

bawitdaball said:

The last true three point threat BU had was Emily Niemann, a true three point threat. I'm still disappointed in our passing skills or lack there of plus the defense just isn't what I view we have had in the past. ALL correctable, just not sure this staff will refine that.
Emily was a beast. And yes, our passing needs some improvement. That should be a strong emphasis in the off season.
MrGolfguy
BBWCBear said:

The last true three point threat BU had was Emily Niemann, a true three point threat.
Odyssey Sims & Juicy Landrum say hello.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
baylor1984
MrGolfguy said:

BBWCBear said:

The last true three point threat BU had was Emily Niemann, a true three point threat.
Odyssey Sims & Juicy Landrum say hello.
Kristy Wallace as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.