Interesting names in the portal

52,688 Views | 353 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by sicem45
Max Roguespierre
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Prince and her family have seriously ill feelings towards Texas.

Granted her injury occurred prior to Schaefer's arrival in Austin but, I very much doubt that either party would contemplate a reunion.
Brusinbear2001
* I am replying to this after we already have Yaya Felder

So we got priority number 2, I have not watched a lot of film on her but I do know people were saying she will be great to take in. I like how Coach Nicki recruits not just for next season but also years to come. You can tell she is willing to take the time to develop her athletes. Yaya and Madison will both only be Juniors going into next season.

I think if we can get that Guard we will be good or If we get one more good post we will be good.
I feel like we are boosting our depth with these two players we got from the portal.

Madison did not play a ton of minutes for Belmont she averaged 25. I could see her being a part of a second wave on the bench. Our post position is going to be developing we have a lot of young ones. But I do hope that they see how beneficial it is to play in live games because of what Darianna and Bella experienced this past year. It is raising the bar each person we get of how versatile we will be next season. I think it will make our systems that much more difficult to scheme against.

I like how you explained Bella and Buggs because that is exactly how it is!! Darianna reminds me a lot of Didi Richards and if Coach Tony can get her to really lock in and take her perimeter defense to another level she WILL be a defensive player of the year in our conference. If she develops a consistent 3 also I really do not see a part in her game where she lacks. Bella is strong and you can see that in the way she plays defense. She played the center spot on her High School team and you can tell when she plays defense that she is comfortable down there. She has a ton of hustle and battles for everything. With those two you will never have to question effort. The future to me just keeps getting brighter. Especially if we can avoid the injury bug.

How can players like Cat, Jana, Erika, Lety, and Kyla see the floor where do you think they can take their game to get consistent minutes? I think that's where I struggle is how can you keep all these players happy in the development process, especially when they are not certain to get playtime? Not everyone is Bickle
Brusinbear2001
We got Yaya Felder out of Ohio, she is a 5'8 guard, who averaged 22.0 pts a game. A notable scoring game she had was 21 against a very good defensive Ohio State team
BUVA
Max Roguespierre said:

Granted her injury occurred prior to Schaefer's arrival in Austin but, I very much doubt that either party would contemplate a reunion.

She is from Texas, so might consider coming to home state for last year. She's 6'7", but prone to injury. Sat out last season with elbow injury.
bawitdaball
BUVA said:

Max Roguespierre said:

She is from Texas, so might consider coming to home state for last year. She's 6'7", but prone to injury. Sat out last season with elbow injury.
High valued recruit that has never materialized at the college level. She is most known for twittering out the disparity in equipment during the 2021 bubble tournament in Houston that her play on the court. Likely pulled out of the draft after realizing that she wouldn't be drafted.
Max Roguespierre
Prince broke her leg before beginning her career at Texas and the break did not heal properly (she blames Texas' medical staff). It's difficult to know how good she might have been without that injury. At this point she is more of a finesse player than an interior force. Depending on how she is used she can still be effective at the collegiate level.
Max Roguespierre
The Yaya Felder signing is a little surprising. To sign an under the radar player just a day or two after hosting a player like Jada Walker may strike a casual observer as... underwhelming. Felder did post excellent offensive numbers but production rarely translates 1:1 from an uncompetitive mid-major to a ranked Power 5 team.

Felder had an excellent sophomore season for the Ohio Bobcats and, though she scored a lot less, her shooting percentages were, in fact, better in her freshman season. While the Bobcats were awful in 2022-23, Felder actually performed quite well against her school's toughest opponents. By the same token some of her numbers where put up in what for the Bobcats' opponents was garbage time.

This is why this signing is so interesting. Projecting Felder's effectiveness on a team with aspirations to host in the NCAA Tournament is... difficult. Nicki Collen obviously feels that she is worth a scholarship and is willing to roll the dice on the possibility that Felder flops on a bigger stage.

The player's stats do contain some red flags like 5.6 turnovers and 3.3 fouls per game but neither number is quite as bad when viewed in the context that Felder was the absolute focal point of the Bobcats' offense. She put up 35% of her team's points, created 30% of its assists, and even managed to be second on her team in rebounds. And while she frequently finished with 3 or more fouls she was disqualified from only 3 games (out of a total of 29) all while drawing the opponent's best defender, double teams, traps, and undoubtedly being targeted on defense.

While not a high profile signing, this is definitely an interesting move.
Baylorbearsupporter
Do you think we can fit both her and jada walker?
Max Roguespierre
Probably not. Next season Baylor will almost certainly have 4 of Andrews, Blackwell, Edwards, Fontleroy, and Littlepage-Buggs on the floor at most times leaving one spot. If that spot is filled by Walker that will leave very little PT beyond those 6 players. Bartley and Owens would round out the rotation in competitive games with everyone else in early season and garbage time roles. Just not enough minutes beyond cameos beyond the first eight players in that scenario. In which case why bring in Felder?

I mentioned in a prior comment that Jada Walker would not sign with Baylor unless she was guaranteed a starting spot. blueyeyedbear replied that Nicki Collen would offer no such guarantee. Okay, perhaps not in writing.

Walker is leaving Kentucky not because she didn't play much or wasn't an important player but because the team was uncompetitive. Wherever she signs she wants a significant role. If she is not sold on being given that she won't sign because as a highly rated player she has options.

If Walker does sign for Baylor, Felder can easily be put on the backburner. Not a big deal for the Bears. Sucks to be Felder though because she is now battling with Owens and Van Gytenbeek over the 15 to 20 minutes to back up Andrews and Walker. Collen is one of the few coaches who strikes me as someone unlikely to sell a player on a role only to shrug it off a few days or weeks later.
74Bear
Yaya Felder to Baylor
https://www.thepostathens.com/article/2023/04/ohio-womens-basketball-yaya-felder-transfer-baylor
ScottS
Bear3 said:

I have a feeling it will require a lot of NIL money to get Morrow.
Maybe, but WBB NIL is < MBB and football.
Adriacus Peratuun
Max Roguespierre said:

Probably not. Next season Baylor will almost certainly have 4 of Andrews, Blackwell, Edwards, Fontleroy, and Littlepage-Buggs on the floor at most times leaving one spot. If that spot is filled by Walker that will leave very little PT beyond those 6 players. Bartley and Owens would round out the rotation in competitive games with everyone else in early season and garbage time roles. Just not enough minutes beyond cameos beyond the first eight players in that scenario. In which case why bring in Felder?

I mentioned in a prior comment that Jada Walker would not sign with Baylor unless she was guaranteed a starting spot. blueyeyedbear replied that Nicki Collen would offer no such guarantee. Okay, perhaps not in writing.

Walker is leaving Kentucky not because she didn't play much or wasn't an important player but because the team was uncompetitive. Wherever she signs she wants a significant role. If she is not sold on being given that she won't sign because as a highly rated player she has options.

If Walker does sign for Baylor, Felder can easily be put on the backburner. Not a big deal for the Bears. Sucks to be Felder though because she is now battling with Owens and Van Gytenbeek over the 15 to 20 minutes to back up Andrews and Walker. Collen is one of the few coaches who strikes me as someone unlikely to sell a player on a role only to shrug it off a few days or weeks later.

Zero……even less than zero…….likelihood that Baylor plays a short rotation next year.

Go to the bank, make the deposit.
Bears09
BUVA
ScottS said:

Bear3 said:

I have a feeling it will require a lot of NIL money to get Morrow.
Maybe, but WBB NIL is < MBB and football.

Angel Reese has said she will likely stay as long as she can in college ; her NIL value estimated to go to $875K. Not sure that is per year or spread over college career, not exactly sure how that works. That's more than 3 X highest paid WNBA player at $250K. As long as NIL doesn't dry up, good players won't be eager to go to WNBA and take a considerable pay cut.
74Bear
Jada Walker to Baylor per Raoul
@Raoul_000

Kentucky WBB transfer Jada Walker (5-7 SO point guard, Richmond, VA) has announced her commitment to Baylor; 2022-23 stats: 12.9 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 3.1 APG, 81 steals. Third portal pickup for Baylor, joining Madison Bartley (6-3 F from Belmont) and Yaya Felder (5-8 PG from Ohio
BUatbirth
Yes she is!

JADA WALKER….COMMITTED

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqvP7G-OSSM/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Bone Squad
Assuming no surprise transfers out, this should pretty well do it for our portal recruiting season, right? I'm optimistic for next year.
Adriacus Peratuun
Bone Squad said:

Assuming no surprise transfers out, this should pretty well do it for our portal recruiting season, right? I'm optimistic for next year.
Expect another post. Don't be surprised by another perimeter player.

The days of depth issues, dead legs, matchup limitations, etc. are over.
Bone Squad
I count 13 players on the roster if no one else leaves. I realize we CAN have 15, but it seems like there is a point of diminishing returns, where you are just guaranteeing you'll have unsatisfied benchwarmers eager to jump back into the portal.

Correction: 14 players. I forgot to count Lety.
Adriacus Peratuun
Bone Squad said:

I count 13 players on the roster if no one else leaves. I realize we CAN have 15, but it seems like there is a point of diminishing returns, where you are just guaranteeing you'll have unsatisfied benchwarmers eager to jump back into the portal.
Across the nation coaches are realizing that portal losses during the season are now close to guaranteed.

If a team starts with 13, loses 2 to the portal, then loses 2 to injury/illness/eligibility issues the available roster becomes a short 9. Same scenario starting at 15 leaves a workable 11.

Like every other aspect of basketball, adapt or get left behind.

ScottS
BUatbirth said:

Yes she is!

JADA WALKER….COMMITTED

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqvP7G-OSSM/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Good news!!
fredbear
Coach is doing a great job picking up transfers. Welcome Jada.
Max Roguespierre
Injuries are a fact of life. Still, I am not sure that counting on losing 2 players works in terms of roster management.

You have 200 player minutes in a normal game. Last season Baylor had three players logging over 30 minutes per game (34.3, 32.9, 32.1) and three more players at over 20 minutes (29.5, 25.4, 21.8).

It's great to have depth and I am sure that Sarah Andrews would be happy to play less than 34 minutes a game. And given her offensive limitations, no sensible coach would want Jaden Owens to log 32 minutes per game.

Aijha Blackwell has averaged 28 minutes per game for her career (including her injury-plagued season at Baylor). If healthy, she will want to play significant minutes. Blackwell and Dre'Una Edwards are in the same boat, they want to improve their professional credentials and for that they have to be on the floor.

Jada Walker's career average in minutes per game is 29.3 and I am relatively certain that she isn't coming to Baylor to avoid tired legs.

Darianna Littlepage-Buggs played 25.4 minutes per game in her Big 12 freshman of the year season and Bella Fontleroy chipped in with 21.8 minutes per game. Would any coach cut instead of increase the minutes of impact freshman?

If Baylor has three players who average 29 minutes per game and three more players at 25 minutes per game that is 162 minutes.

That leaves 38 minutes for everyone else! That is a lot of unhappy players with a roster count of 14.

Adriacus Peratuun
Max Roguespierre said:

Injuries are a fact of life. Still, I am not sure that counting on losing 2 players works in terms of roster management.

You have 200 player minutes in a normal game. Last season Baylor had three players logging over 30 minutes per game (34.3, 32.9, 32.1) and three more players at over 20 minutes (29.5, 25.4, 21.8).

It's great to have depth and I am sure that Sarah Andrews would be happy to play less than 34 minutes a game. And given her offensive limitations, no sensible coach would want Jaden Owens to log 32 minutes per game.

Aijha Blackwell has averaged 28 minutes per game for her career (including her injury-plagued season at Baylor). If healthy, she will want to play significant minutes. Blackwell and Dre'Una Edwards are in the same boat, they want to improve their professional credentials and for that they have to be on the floor.

Jada Walker's career average in minutes per game is 29.3 and I am relatively certain that she isn't coming to Baylor to avoid tired legs.

Darianna Littlepage-Buggs played 25.4 minutes per game in her Big 12 freshman of the year season and Bella Fontleroy chipped in with 21.8 minutes per game. Would any coach cut instead of increase the minutes of impact freshman?

If Baylor has three players who average 29 minutes per game and three more players at 25 minutes per game that is 162 minutes.

That leaves 38 minutes for everyone else! That is a lot of unhappy players with a roster count of 14.

Will be very surprised if this coming season doesn't see at least nine players averaging over 14 minutes and ten players averaging over 10 minutes. Load management will be in full effect.
Max Roguespierre
All right. As a thought exercise would you care to put names to minutes?

Adriacus Peratuun
Max Roguespierre said:

All right. As a thought exercise would you care to put names to minutes?

No. No one knows minutes until they compete for them. Not even the staff.

BTW, the roster is already at 14 [absent unannounced attrition]. Adding 1 more to max out [or two if attrition occurs] is simply not impactful to minute management. Competition will be.

Starters will likely get 24-26 minutes, backups 14-16 minutes.

Basically 4 minutes shifts coinciding with TV timeouts.
Max Roguespierre
All right. I chuckled at your initial (brief) response.

Your expanded projection would make for an interesting team dynamic. Importantly, your math works for a ten player rotation.

Personally, I still think that the rotation will be whittled down as the season progresses because this team will and should have national aspirations and Nicki Collen will want to maximize the won-loss record in order to secure as high a seed as possible in the NCAA Tournament. It's one thing to play most of the roster in barely competitive nonconference games and another to do so in back-and-forth affairs against Texas or Oklahoma that are going down to the wire.

The only team that has used mass substitutions throughout the season recently is South Carolina. But that's based in large part on the Gamecocks' overall dominance as well as the consistently high talent level of its players. In addition, Dawn Staley appears to get a higher level of buy-in from her players than any other coach (with the possible exception of Geno Auriemma).

74Bear
Lauren Betts has left Stanford and rumors say Hayley Van Liths dad may be shopping her for highest NIL bidder....if so, that's sad it is turning to that.
BUVA
Gotta love those steals!!!
Adriacus Peratuun
Max Roguespierre said:

All right. I chuckled at your initial (brief) response.

Your expanded projection would make for an interesting team dynamic. Importantly, your math works for a ten player rotation.

Personally, I still think that the rotation will be whittled down as the season progresses because this team will and should have national aspirations and Nicki Collen will want to maximize the won-loss record in order to secure as high a seed as possible in the NCAA Tournament. It's one thing to play most of the roster in barely competitive nonconference games and another to do so in back-and-forth affairs against Texas or Oklahoma that are going down to the wire.

The only team that has used mass substitutions throughout the season recently is South Carolina. But that's based in large part on the Gamecocks' overall dominance as well as the consistently high talent level of its players. In addition, Dawn Staley appears to get a higher level of buy-in from her players than any other coach (with the possible exception of Geno Auriemma).

Some folks get rubbed the wrong way by my brevity so I tried to add clarity.

Most coaches shrink the rotation in post-season but that concept wasn't what I was addressing. I think the past two seasons have created a strong mindset [already there, simply increased] of load management to maximize tournament time fresh legs. Better to lose 1 or 2 games along the way and arrive fresh and with experienced backups than play starters to death to win regular season games. Baylor WBB fans should all know what happens when backups don't get minutes to develop.

Plus it will help the team execute the intended high pressure switch everything high, return backside concepts that the staff wants to play. Most D schemes are far better when played with energy. But pressure schemes thrive off of it. And more D pressure means more transition O which takes the pressure off of the O half court efficiency needs.
Max Roguespierre
Betts is a very good player. Her game is close to flawless in terms of fundamentals. That said, her mobility is noticeably limited. She doesn't run well and lacks quickness.

Regardless, she will be able to choose her landing spot and she will be heavily courted.
bawitdaball
Max Roguespierre said:

Betts is a very good player. Her game is close to flawless in terms of fundamentals. That said, her mobility is noticeably limited. She doesn't run well and lacks quickness.

Regardless, she will be able to choose her landing spot and she will be heavily courted.
Betts was supposed to be the future of the women's game. I watched several Stanford games this year and don't remember seeing her do too much. And with Stanford bowing out super early, it does't surprise me that Tara is losing a few.
blueeyedbear
Max Roguespierre said:

I am surprised - It's a rare thing for undergrads come out of Stanford. Jana was a rare exception - now Lauren ?
I saw something during the tournament when two Stanford players were talking back to Tara during timeouts after turnovers - I have never seen that before.

She does have a turnover problem. 60.0% from floor, 56.0% from line (Needs work there), seems to have a knack for blocks - almost a block every 10 minutes played.

She is defiantly a project - If I was Nicki I would go for her - IF she would agree to red shirt to get stronger, faster, greater endurance and learn Nicki's system.
We did pretty good with the last Lauren - could lightning strike twice ??

Heard Van Lith's daddy is shopping her around for a high $$$ NIL deal for Hailey.
You get Hailey..... daddy comes with the package !!!! He is worse than Jones dad was. I would pass.
I am sure Kim is renting a Brinks truck.

Brusinbear2001
I also think with Brink having 1 if not 2 years she will still be behind her on the depth chart.
Max Roguespierre
Yes, I think that both VanDerveer and Auriemma are starting to show their age.

Betts couldn't have been very happy at playing less than 10 minutes a game. I don't quite understand why VanDerveer was unwilling to use Betts and Brink together. Brink has enough of an outside shot to play some stretch 4. I would have expected VanDerveer to let Betts know that her court time would more than double during the end of the season exit interview.

Regardless, Betts can now pick her landing spot. I suspect that UConn, Notre Dame, and UCLA are probably the leaders for her signature. Actually, Baylor was on her list as well. Should be an interesting chase.

And yes, her free throw shooting was very poor. But that's fixable as long as she is wiling to put the work in.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.