Interesting names in the portal

52,685 Views | 353 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by sicem45
BuinmyBlood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WacoKelly83 said:

Didnt see that one coming

Wow. That is truly a shocker. That girl seemed like the type that would have been there to the bitter end having been the starter for her 1st 3 years. I'm guessing she got tired of not having a shot at a national championship. I will be really surprised if she doesn't show up at a top 10 program somewhere.

Don't know if she would even be interested in Baylor, or if Baylor would have room for her on the roster, but she would be a great get for somebody based on her defensive prowess alone. Would love to have her. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see her land at Notre Dame or Duke.

Kind of feel sorry for Bill Fenneley. Almost his entire returning team has deserted him. Looks like he's going to be starting from scratch...
IowaBear
Been a rumor in Ames for a while now that Lexi would be transferring. Unsure of the exact reason but some in the know say she's wanting an expanded role offensively.
Max Roguespierre
Fennelly created his own problem. For at least the last three seasons the offense completely revolved around Ashley Joens. There was a small window this past season where the offense was diversified through Soares' skillset but that was scrapped after she went down with the ACL tear.

Iowa State does have a good recruiting class coming in but to be competitive next season they will need to add at least a couple of good veteran players from the portal.
blackie
bawitdaball said:

I believe reports had us offering Barnes, the coach from Georgia (who is now at A&M) and the guy at NC State. I honestly feel that bad things gone down a year or two earlier , Vic Shaffer would be our current coach. Again, all things happen for a reason. No doubt about that.
Boy, I don't know how to feel about that possibility. I don't know if I could defend his behavior on the sidelines. Probably one of the few that could outdo Kim. At least never, to my knowledge, did she get into the passing lanes during live play coming out on the court. Certainly, I would at the least have to get a new computer dedicated to keeping track of the roster from year to year, if not game by game.

The guy might be a good coach, but carries a lot of baggage concerning his in-game demeanor and the apparent willingness to throw his players under the bus at any time. I think the jury is still out on him as to whether you really want him on your sidelines. Just my opinion from the bleacher seats.
Task Force 2015
Donarski is salty.She could really help us.
Polarbear
Donarski leaving is a stunner. Thought she would be a Cyclone for life.
She'll be in high demand. An exceptional defender, she's 36% from 3 point and 86% from FT for career. High quality person, tough but clean player. She'd fit into the core rotation of any team in the country.
She's an exact fit for the mold of player Coach NC wants, talented and versatile, able to shoot the 3 or play in the paint, and at 6'0" with long arms can play anywhere from PG to SG to SF.
She's from Lacrosse, WI, so if geography and family play into the equation she'll stay in the Midwest. Total speculation, but Iowa City is a 3 and a half hour drive from home, and she'd pair up really well in a backcourt with Caitlin Clark.
Hoping we'll learn her motivation for leaving. Again speculation, but she may want to play more PG to develop her game, but is blocked by Emily Ryan?
This marks the end of an era for Iowa State, and a rebuild of the program. Joens and Soares graduate, Donarski and Espenmiller-McGraw and Kane transfer out. They only have three players remaining from core rotation last year in Ryan, Fritz, and Diew.
blueeyedbear
BuinmyBlood said:

WacoKelly83 said:

Wow. That is truly a shocker. That girl seemed like the type that would have been there to the bitter end having been the starter for her 1st 3 years. I'm guessing she got tired of not having a shot at a national championship. I will be really surprised if she doesn't show up at a top 10 program somewhere.

Don't know if she would even be interested in Baylor, or if Baylor would have room for her on the roster, but she would be a great get for somebody based on her defensive prowess alone. Would love to have her. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see her land at Notre Dame or Duke.

Kind of feel sorry for Bill Fenneley. Almost his entire returning team has deserted him. Looks like he's going to be starting from scratch...
Why wouldn't she be interested in Baylor ?? She has WNBA aspirations. Baylor has a former WNBA Coach who runs a WNBA offense.
Baylor/Nicki absolutely have room on the roster for a big game experienced, 6'0" Guard, outstanding defensive player (21 Big 12 DPOY), who shoots almost 90.0% from the line, HIGH basketball IQ, very good TO/Assist ratio. Almost 13 points a game on a team with Jones on it !!
I would think she would love the thought of playing with a very scoring balanced BU WBB team with a starting 5 five of Sarah, Bella, Dre, Aijah and herself. Add in Jaden, Darianna, Kyla, Leti, Jana, Catarina and Porter.
She is a Marketing and Management Major and BU MBA Business is highly rated.
Total speculation on my part but I think she wants a more visible role on a final 4 contending team where she can elevate her profile for the WNBA draft.
Then there is the Italy trip this summer !!

I think Nicki has a very, VERY strong pitch to her.
Bear3
I would be surprised if Mack would offer job to Vic. He would not be a good culture fit at all. He lost several players to portal last year and rumor is more are transferring this year. Thank you but I wik keep Nicki '
blackie
blueeyedbear said:

BuinmyBlood said:

WacoKelly83 said:

Why wouldn't she be interested in Baylor ?? She has WNBA aspirations. Baylor has a former WNBA Coach who runs a WNBA offense.
Baylor/Nicki absolutely have room on the roster for a big game experienced, 6'0" Guard, outstanding defensive player (21 Big 12 DPOY), who shoots almost 90.0% from the line, HIGH basketball IQ, very good TO/Assist ratio. Almost 13 points a game on a team with Jones on it !!
I would think she would love the thought of playing with a very scoring balanced BU WBB team with a starting 5 five of Sarah, Bella, Dre, Aijah and herself. Add in Jaden, Darianna, Kyla, Leti, Jana, Catarina and Porter.
Total speculation on my part but I think she wants a more visible role on a final 4 contending team where she can elevate her profile for the WNBA draft.

We can wish. But Polarbear may have mentioned the biggest obstacle to overcome.....geography. We are a long ways from WI. The other consideration is that she may just not want to have to have 2 or 3 games playing against her old coach and team. Perhaps, perhaps not. Nothing but gut, but I wouldn't give us more than a 20% shot, if that. It would SEEM to be too good to be true if it happened.
blueeyedbear
The close to home is a reason you hear a lot so that is a legit point.

However, going to play with Caitlin Clark I think while intriguing I give it a 20.0% chance of happening.
Lexi just spent 3 years in the shadow of Jones. I would be shocked if she went to Iowa to share points/print with the fastest gunner in the NCAA womans game. I think she is looking for more recognition for her game and skill set and being overshadowed by Clark won't fit into that thinking.

It may well be a wish for Baylor fans and the speculation is what makes the portal interesting and frustrating at the same time. But we have the luxury to wish.

If Lexi gives Nicki a listen, I like our chances. Lexi strikes me as a lot like Bella - relationship importance wise.
Dcheetah
I also worry that she has not seen our team play to its full potential because of Dre, Aijha, limiting injuries and lack of size. Next years team should be very strong but I fear she will want a sure thing for her last year and might look for that. I think we are a potential final 4 team next year if we get better breaks but I would sure love to have her!
BuinmyBlood
blueeyedbear said:

BuinmyBlood said:

WacoKelly83 said:

No need to get defensive. Re-read what I wrote. I did not say I did not think she would be interested in Baylor. I said I did not know if she would be interested. One possibility is that she might not be interested in playing for a school that had been a major rival for many years, and with whom she would be competing against her former coach/teammates. Similarly I said I did not know if Baylor would have room - because I don't know what NC's plans are with her roster. Again you're reading things into this that are not what I said.

I have no argument with anything else that you had to say here. Obviously she has great stats, she's a great defender, great free throw shooter, scorer, and leader. And she has extremely desirable height for the position, maturity and experience. Like I did say above, I'd love to have her. That is all...
blueeyedbear
BuinmyBlood said:

blueeyedbear said:

BuinmyBlood said:

WacoKelly83 said:

No need to get defensive. Re-read what I wrote. I did not say I did not think she would be interested in Baylor. I said I did not know if she would be interested. One possibility is that she might not be interested in playing for a school that had been a major rival for many years, and with whom she would be competing against her former coach/teammates. Similarly I said I did not know if Baylor would have room - because I don't know what NC's plans are with her roster. Again you're reading things into this that are not what I said.

I have no argument with anything else that you had to say here. Obviously she has great stats, she's a great defender, great free throw shooter, scorer, and leader. And she has extremely desirable height for the position, maturity and experience. Like I did say above, I'd love to have her. That is all...
You need not to get so defensive - I simply answered your post with reasons why she would be interested....Good grief !! Those are the exact same reasons why Nicki and Staff would love to have her.
Another poster hit the nail on the head - "she is exactly what Nicki's offense needs and is looking for". Point being there is room at Baylor for her.
If I hurt your feelings I apologize - I meant no slight to your post.
Glad to have you onboard supporting the team and Nicki !!!!
Task Force 2015
I can see why fans would hate to see her to play for Baylor.Would there be a similar reaction to her transferring to the University of Iowa?.Would that be like an Aggie transferring to UT?
Polarbear
Just finished Friday Night Fish Fry and New Glarus beer with ISU Cyclone son at the local pub, watching NCAA tournament games and talking sports.
When discussing Lexi hitting the portal, he confirmed that (a) it breaks his heart because she was his favorite Cyclone player, (b) he's stunned at the news and doesn't know the why, and (c) the toughest pill to swallow would be if she became an Iowa Hawkeye.
Although out of conference, many Cyclone fans view Iowa as their biggest sports rival.
sizzles0
Doesn't Baylor have a 60 hour transfer rule (same thing Dre ran into)? And would that be a show stopper for transfers going into their senior season (Donarski)?

The only saving grace may be the extra covid year. Like Donarski would lose a year of credits, but if she plays senior and super senior season it works out.

But that's going to be a massive handicap toward staying competitive in the portal era, to effectively be out of the running for transfers going into their SR season, after covid bonus years have all expired.
Adriacus Peratuun
sizzles0 said:

Doesn't Baylor have a 60 hour transfer rule (same thing Dre ran into)? And would that be a show stopper for transfers going into their senior season (Donarski)?

The only saving grace may be the extra covid year. Like Donarski would lose a year of credits, but if she plays senior and super senior season it works out.

But that's going to be a massive handicap toward staying competitive in the portal era, to effectively be out of the running for transfers going into their SR season, after covid bonus years have all expired.
After 9 semesters at ISU Donarski likely will have her degree. Averaging 14 hours per semester, you finish most degree programs over 9 semesters.

blackie
sizzles0 said:

If this is true, I would think we are not the only school with such a rule. I guess in the past players have transferred in early in their career such that the rule didn't come into play or were graduate transfers. Perhaps someone else can shed some light. I think Asberry came in as a senior, but she did stay two years, allowed because of the Covid situation.
Task Force 2015
Perhaps(as suggested)Lexi is close to a degree and can finish this semester(plus this summer if necessary ).If she has an ISU degree the 60 hour rule doesn't apply.I will now assume she will not graduate.I am pretty sure that we have had upperclass student-athletes transfer in and not seek a Baylor degree because 60 hours earned at Baylor are required to get a BU degree.The hours earned at Baylor are transferred back to the S-Athlete's original school if the original school allows that.I think Kevin Henry in MBB did that and graduated from New Mexico.Also,Dre had an eligibility problem because she had transferred before and thus had to graduate to be eligible this year(or get consent from Kentucky)..Lexi has not transferred before so she could transfer in and be eligible immediately 60 hours short of a degree from BU.If she plans to be here 2 years that might be ok.And,as mentioned before,she might be able to transfer hours back and graduate from ISU.No warranty is made as to the accuracy of this post.It has been a long time since I was involved in these issues.
Dcheetah
Wbbfan29
Her and CNC were following each other before her transfer was announced. I wonder did they already have a connection or was her name silently in the portal before.
blueeyedbear
Wbbfan29 said:

Her and CNC were following each other before her transfer was announced. I wonder did they already have a connection or was her name silently in the portal before.
Yes
Wbbfan29
Yes to which one ? Lol
blueeyedbear
Wbbfan29 said:

Yes to which one ? Lol
Sorry, Prior connection.
Wbbfan29
Just watched some of her highlights and wow.. she doesn't need much room to get it off from behind the arc. She has a very fast release.
BuinmyBlood
blueeyedbear said:

BuinmyBlood said:

blueeyedbear said:

BuinmyBlood said:

WacoKelly83 said:

You need not to get so defensive - I simply answered your post with reasons why she would be interested....Good grief !! Those are the exact same reasons why Nicki and Staff would love to have her.
Another poster hit the nail on the head - "she is exactly what Nicki's offense needs and is looking for". Point being there is room at Baylor for her.
If I hurt your feelings I apologize - I meant no slight to your post.
Glad to have you onboard supporting the team and Nicki !!!!
Just to clarify a little bit, obviously there is no major disagreement here, just mostly a matter of semantics. But I do feel the need to set a couple of things straight regarding those last 2 sentences above.

Being as I am 71 years old, it is highly unlikely that I would have my feelings hurt over something so inconsequential as a difference of opinion on a sports fan board.

As to that second remark, it only illustrates how little you know about me. I've been "on-board supporting" Baylor's athletic programs for more years than most of the posters on these forums have been alive - with women's basketball being one of my absolute favorites to follow. Matter of fact, if you are a former player, I was probably one of your biggest fans.

Bottom line, I was a huge fan of Kim's, for better or worse because of the high level of success, and mostly positive national attention she brought to Baylor. But I also understand now why many have problems with her. And as long as she was ours, I was firmly in her corner. But that was yesterday.

Today is a new day. And from what I've seen in the last 2 years I'm extremely encouraged by what coach Nicki brings to the table. She proved to me last year that she could recruit at a high level, and I have no doubts that she is an exceptional X's and O's coach, and seems to have the total respect and admiration of our players.

Despite this year's roller coaster season (which was totally understandable, given our problems with injuries, eligibility issues, etc.), I am convinced we are on the right track. Our fans have just got to be patient, and allow Coach the necessary time to establish her program over the next 3 to 4 years, at least. Rome was not built in a day. And, as in the past, I'm here for it...

blueeyedbear
Wbbfan29 said:

Just watched some of her highlights and wow.. she doesn't need much room to get it off from behind the arc. She has a very fast release.
Yes, very quick release - might be even quicker than OK's Robertson. I do not have any firsthand knowledge on her defensive abilities to share. But I would assume that quickness is just not limited to her hands.
Brusinbear2001
I really think we should keep a close eye on Kennedy Todd-Williams out of UNC. She is a defensive beast she is a 6'0 guard who can shoot the mid-range and has a high athletic ability. She is capable to shoot the three as well!! I think when given the looks she can come through. She can help on the glass big time!!

I think we have to be getting at least 1 guard from the portal I think it will be a starter to help Sarah. We need a bigger guard so nobody under 5'9 for sure. I am just curious to see what the staff goes for.

Do we bank on the development of Kyla, Lety, or Erika to be the 5 or do they go find a grad transfer to be there for 1 year? I think we will count on developing them but who knows? It will be an exciting off-season and I think we will be a very solid team next season for sure!!
bawitdaball
I'll be disappointed if we don't get a strong 5 to help with rebounding. Without Bickle, we will be missing some strength inside. And we will need the depth. Freshman have to have someone to learn from, and we don't need to be one injury away from a mediocre season - see this year with Blackwell.
74Bear
Just one person's opinion on top 10 in the portal. #1 Kiki Jefferson of James Madison
https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/womens-basketball-players-transfer-portal-2023
Polarbear
Don't we kinda have to sign Kennedy Fauntleroy so she can play with Bella Fontleroy?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Max Roguespierre said:

Fennelly created his own problem. For at least the last three seasons the offense completely revolved around Ashley Joens. There was a small window this past season where the offense was diversified through Soares' skillset but that was scrapped after she went down with the ACL tear.

Iowa State does have a good recruiting class coming in but to be competitive next season they will need to add at least a couple of good veteran players from the portal.
His best signee, Bristow, is one I really liked. Class 1A-4A Texas PoTY
BUVA
ESPN opinion Top 20 portal players...2 from NC
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35970178/womens-college-basketball-transfer-portal-rankings-2023-24
605Bear
74Bear
Brusinbear2001 said:

I really think we should keep a close eye on Kennedy Todd-Williams out of UNC. She is a defensive beast she is a 6'0 guard who can shoot the mid-range and has a high athletic ability. She is capable to shoot the three as well!! I think when given the looks she can come through. She can help on the glass big time!!

I think we have to be getting at least 1 guard from the portal I think it will be a starter to help Sarah. We need a bigger guard so nobody under 5'9 for sure. I am just curious to see what the staff goes for.

Do we bank on the development of Kyla, Lety, or Erika to be the 5 or do they go find a grad transfer to be there for 1 year? I think we will count on developing them but who knows? It will be an exciting off-season and I think we will be a very solid team next season for sure!!

Committed to Ol Miss

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.