Interesting names in the portal

52,860 Views | 353 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by sicem45
bawitdaball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
None of these ladies were 3-point threats to the level of Emily or a Maya Moore etc. And Mulkey never ran plays for them to shoot an open three. That said, I do think Juicy could have lit it up had she had the green light that CNC gives her players.
Baylorkid
bawitdaball said:

None of these ladies were 3-point threats to the level of Emily or a Maya Moore etc. And Mulkey never ran plays for them to shoot an open three. That said, I do think Juicy could have lit it up had she had the green light that CNC gives her players.

Juicy would've hit like 300 plus 3's under nicki's system
74Bear
Per Raoul....and I watched this girl and she can play.

@Raoul_000
Kiki Jefferson (6-1 SR wing, Lancaster, PA) has announced that she's entering her name into the portal, out of James Madison WBB; 2022-23 stats: 18.3 PPG, 7.9 RPG, 2.9 APG; Sun Belt Player of the Year
blueeyedbear
Baylorkid said:

bawitdaball said:

Juicy would've hit like 300 plus 3's under nicki's system
The one game Kim let Juicy let it fly she set a school and NCAA record
woodsa75
Morgan Kane from Iowa State and Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw are on the transfer portal website
blueeyedbear
74Bear said:

Per Raoul....and I watched this girl and she can play.

@Raoul_000
Kiki Jefferson (6-1 SR wing, Lancaster, PA) has announced that she's entering her name into the portal, out of James Madison WBB; 2022-23 stats: 18.3 PPG, 7.9 RPG, 2.9 APG; Sun Belt Player of the Year
Sun Belt is not Big 12 - having said that - She is a solid prospect - well worth a look by Nicki and Staff.
She has shot the ball at a high percentage since high school.
Won just about every post season honor Sun Belt selects.
Runs well - not Bella or Darianna well but then few do. Runs well enough for Nicki's offense. (Comparable to Caitlin)
Good hop
Good handles
She has fascinator skills and IQ.
She makes her free throws !!!!
Can play 5, 4, 3, 2 A swing player that Nicki loves.
SR. transfer. A one and done.
I have been told she has been encouraged by WNBA coaches to stay one more year at a D1 P5 program to learn the nuances of what it takes to play in the WNBA.

Anybody know a former WNBA coach who could school her alongside another WNBA prospect on a high profile Championship caliber team ??
Dcheetah
Adriacus Peratuun
Lauren Ware - Arizona. Part of huge exodus from program.

Even coming off surgery to repair kneecap would be a solid get at post position.

Paris Clark is another Arizona portal player. Long/Tall guard/wing that scores.
bawitdaball
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Even coming off surgery to repair kneecap would be a solid get at post position.

Something doesn't smell right about the long list of exits from Arizona. Reminds me of Kentucky a few years ago. Might not be the most encouraging environment. Might Barnes have been a one-season wonder? And to think she turned down the Baylor job for a more luxurious contract at her alma mater.
bawitdaball
woodsa75 said:

Morgan Kane from Iowa State and Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw are on the transfer portal website
How has Morgan Kane not graduated yet? She is so awkward running the court. You'd think she'd get a bit more attention with Joens moving on. Though Iowa St. does have a strong recruiting class coming in.
Baylorbearsupporter
Arizona WBB Paris Clark, Madison Conner, Lemyah Hilton, Lauren Ware are in transfer portal.

Paris Clark, Freshman 5'8 guard out of the Bronx,N.Y

2022 McDonald's All-American ... 2022 Jordan Brand All-American ... SLAM All-American ... 2022 New York Gatorade Player of the Year ... Was the 21st ranked player in the 2022 class.

Lauren Ware, Junior 6'5 forward out of. Bismarck,N.D

13th-best prospect in the nation according to ProspectsNation.com and the third-best post player in the nation by ESPN.com. The 6-5 forward was named the 2017-18 and 2018-19 Gatorade Player of the Year in the state of North Dakota and averaged 17.3 points, 11.1 rebounds, 4.6 blocks and 2.1 assists per game

Baylorbearsupporter
Destiny Adams (6-3 SO guard/forward, Manchester, NJ) has entered her name into the portal, out of North Carolina WBB; 2022-23 stats: 4.1 PPG, 3.8 RPG, 50 steals; 2021 McDonald's All-American
Dcheetah
Lots of interesting names starting to appear. Hoping Maya Nnaji from AZ appears in the portal.
blackie
bawitdaball said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Something doesn't smell right about the long list of exits from Arizona. Reminds me of Kentucky a few years ago. Might not be the most encouraging environment. Might Barnes have been a one-season wonder? And to think she turned down the Baylor job for a more luxurious contract at her alma mater.
Is there any rock-solid evidence to prove she was ever offered the job? Not the usual "my sources in the athletic department" or my buddy that is close to Mack crap that we get on these boards. I know that there were more than a few hear that criticized Rhoades for not going after this type of coach. So was it a case of our resident "experts" wanting this coach or that Mack Rhoades wanted this coach? Or did this coach imply that she had been offered the job using it as a ploy for a better contract at AZ, when nothing really ever was offered by Baylor.

Bottom line, with that type of player exit, it would seem that hiring her would have been a big mistake...........which would often be the case if we hired most any of all that are promoted by our experts here and then use it as criticism of Rhoades when someone else is hired.
Bone Squad
blackie said:

bawitdaball said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Is there any rock-solid evidence to prove she was ever offered the job? Not the usual "my sources in the athletic department" or my buddy that is close to Mack crap that we get on these boards. I know that there were more than a few hear that criticized Rhoades for not going after this type of coach. So was it a case of our resident "experts" wanting this coach or that Mack Rhoades wanted this coach? Or did this coach imply that she had been offered the job using it as a ploy for a better contract at AZ, when nothing really ever was offered by Baylor.

I don't claim to have any inside knowledge, but I am very curious what evidence you would accept. By the nature of these things, neither the school nor the coach ever publicly state that offers were made and rejected. To the contrary, it's typically the case that both sides lie that they are NOT in discussions, before announcing they've signed a contract about 48 hours later. So by necessity, any possible evidence would have to come from an insider claiming to know the situation, and you openly reject that form of evidence.

Personally, I have never been keen on hiring Barnes. The whole shooting the middle finger and dropping F-bombs on camera business make her seem like a bad culture fit at Baylor. My only real point is that I would not reject out of hand any notion that we tried to hire her.

Edit - in trying to pinpoint the specific part of the quote I was responding to, I appear to have made a mess, whether the quote first doesn't show up at all, or then gets attributed to the wrong poster. So for clarity, I am asking about the request for "rock-solid evidence" which cannot be statements from athletics insiders.
blackie
Bone Squad said:

blackie said:

bawitdaball said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

I don't claim to have any inside knowledge, but I am very curious what evidence you would accept. By the nature of these things, neither the school nor the coach ever publicly state that offers were made and rejected. To the contrary, it's typically the case that both sides lie that they are NOT in discussions, before announcing they've signed a contract about 48 hours later. So by necessity, any possible evidence would have to come from an insider claiming to know the situation, and you openly reject that form of evidence.

Personally, I have never been keen on hiring Barnes. The whole shooting the middle finger and dropping F-bombs on camera business make her seem like a bad culture fit at Baylor. My only real point is that I would not reject out of hand any notion that we tried to hire her.

Edit - in trying to pinpoint the specific part of the quote I was responding to, I appear to have made a mess, whether the quote first doesn't show up at all, or then gets attributed to the wrong poster. So for clarity, I am asking about the request for "rock-solid evidence" which cannot be statements from athletics insiders.
I guess the "rock-solid" would pertain to someone in the athletic department that should have actually known, and that the person relating that information to people like us is beyond reproach concerning not passing along speculations or assumptions. Too many times I suspect the athletic department insider that some refer to is some third assistant to the assistant or the janitor that saw something left on a whiteboard while cleaning up.` So, there is valid truth to your argument. Whoever would know probably wouldn't tell us....or should tell us for that matter.

I also know that sometimes enough speculation by those on the internet who know absolutely nothing about what is actually going on (like most topics you find on internet boards) causes some journalist looking for a "scoop" to report something that has no basis in fact. At that point the reported candidate or their agent refers to such a report or their administrator gets nervous about losing them to use it as leverage for a better contract in their existing position when in fact they were never seriously considered. Now, there might have been due diligence inquiries made to gain information or interest, but that is far from being offered the job to the point where it could be turned down. Anyone looking to hire someone would be stupid not to at least kick the tires on multiple candidates, but once again, that is nowhere near an offer.

If anything is said enough times, it becomes fact for some and Barnes' name being thrown out by us clueless posters or even worse a clueless press when in reality it was never even considered in earnest by those doing the hiring. We certainly will likely never know who was offered or even considered. CNC may have been the first or the fifth. Just like we will never know the truth as to why Mulkey is no longer coaching here. Only two people really know...her and Rhoades.....and I wouldn't expect to get the whole, complete, and true story from either one of them. But without true, factual information that can be trusted there is a void, and there are plenty of people willing to fill that void with agendas, speculations and half-truths. And all that does is to create divisiveness that doesn't do anyone any good.
slimecap
blackie said:

bawitdaball said:

Something doesn't smell right about the long list of exits from Arizona. Reminds me of Kentucky a few years ago. Might not be the most encouraging environment. Might Barnes have been a one-season wonder?
And to think she turned down the Baylor job for a more luxurious contract at her alma mater.
Is there any rock-solid evidence to prove she was ever offered the job?
Not the usual "my sources in the athletic department" or my buddy that is close to Mack crap that we get on these boards. I know that there were more than a few hear that criticized Rhoades for not going after this type of coach. So was it a case of our resident "experts" wanting this coach or that Mack Rhoades wanted this coach? Or did this coach imply that she had been offered the job using it as a ploy for a better contract at AZ, when nothing really ever was offered by Baylor.

Bottom line, with that type of player exit, it would seem that hiring her would have been a big mistake...........which would often be the case if we hired most any of all that are promoted by our experts here and then use it as criticism of Rhoades when someone else is hired.

Hi blackie,
Found this article buried in my old bookmarks folder.
Hope it helps!

Adia Barnes chose Arizona over big-money Baylor,
and the Wildcats are already richer for it
by Greg Hansen, sports columnist, tucson.com
Nov 3, 2021
Updated Dec 5, 2022

If you are a women's college basketball coach who is being sought by Baylor, a school that would double your salary from about $650,000 to $1.2 million, you ask where to sign, right? You say it's not all about money? Baylor has gone 87-3 in the Big 12 the last five conference seasons. Arizona has gone 39-50 in the Pac-12 in the same period.

If you are Arizona coach Adia Barnes, you put your signature on the contract before Baylor athletic director Mack Rhoades changes his mind, right? But you pause because you have long been considered the best women's basketball player in Arizona history. You pause because your quality of life in Tucson is off-the-charts exceptional. You can practically walk to McKale Center from your home near campus.

So why take the Baylor job, or any other job? You've got a winning legacy in Tucson and it might double or triple in the next decade. You are already the most popular coach on campus, only 44, entering the prime of your career. Season ticket sales are about to double the school record.

That's what Barnes had to be asking herself last April, three weeks after Arizona played in the Final Four championship game, one shot a few lousy inches from an NCAA championship.
Can I do any better for myself than stay home and coach at Arizona?

Rhoades arranged for a private jet to fly to Tucson and bring Barnes and her husband, assistant coach Salvo Coppa, back to Waco, Texas, and complete the deal.

Rhoades was armed with his best stuff, the best pitches an AD can make in women's basketball.

He surely told Barnes about the $100 million campaign to build a new basketball arena on the Baylor campus, one to replace 33-year-old Ferrell Center, at which Baylor's women's basketball team has not averaged fewer than 5,849 fans the last 15 seasons.

Baylor has won 11 consecutive Big 12 regular-season championships. It won the Final Fours of 2005, 2012 and 2019. Baylor women's basketball is the equivalent of Duke or Kansas men's basketball. Nobody turns down a job at a Duke or a Kansas. Barnes did.

Maybe Rhoades will never say as much on the record; that would undermine the coach he eventually hired, WNBA head coach Nicki Collen. And it's unlikely Barnes will ever publicly say that the Baylor job was hers to turn down.

But two days after Baylor hired Collen from the WNBA's Atlanta Dream,
UA athletic director Dave Heeke announced that he had reworked Barnes' contract,
awarding her a five-year, $5.85 million deal.
A month earlier,
Arizona and Barnes had agreed to a five-year contract worth $3.35 million.

Two contracts in a month at the same school?
Such is the power and appeal of winning in college sports.

It's not much different now than in 1985 and 1989, when men's basketball blueblood Kentucky twice tried to steal Lute Olson from Arizona. UA athletic director Cedric Dempsey acted swiftly to keep Olson then, and to Heeke's credit, he was alert and proactive, doing all he could to keep Barnes from becoming a Texan.

It's easy to see why Barnes appealed to an elite program such as Baylor.

VanDerveer is 68. Auriemma is 67, nearing the end of their Hall of Fame careers. At 44, Adia Barnes is just getting started, one of the most promising two or three "next generation" coaches in women's college basketball. No wonder Baylor wanted her on that plane to Waco.

Link for entire article
https://tucson.com/sports/greghansen/greg-hansen-adia-barnes-chose-arizona-over-big-money-baylor-and-the-wildcats-are-already/article_507acc4a-2abf-11ec-96ab-db44299b700c.html
Dr. J
bawitdaball said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Toxic culture with Barnes at AZ and Graves at Oregon. That is why you see 3-4 transfers out of that program per year.

I am SO glad we did not get Barnes. Would have been a total disaster for our program.
bawitdaball
slimecap said:

blackie said:

bawitdaball said:

Something doesn't smell right about the long list of exits from Arizona. Reminds me of Kentucky a few years ago. Might not be the most encouraging environment. Might Barnes have been a one-season wonder?
And to think she turned down the Baylor job for a more luxurious contract at her alma mater.
Not the usual "my sources in the athletic department" or my buddy that is close to Mack crap that we get on these boards. I know that there were more than a few hear that criticized Rhoades for not going after this type of coach. So was it a case of our resident "experts" wanting this coach or that Mack Rhoades wanted this coach? Or did this coach imply that she had been offered the job using it as a ploy for a better contract at AZ, when nothing really ever was offered by Baylor.

Hi blackie,
Hope it helps!

Nov 3, 2021
Updated Dec 5, 2022

If you are a women's college basketball coach who is being sought by Baylor, a school that would double your salary from about $650,000 to $1.2 million, you ask where to sign, right? You say it's not all about money? Baylor has gone 87-3 in the Big 12 the last five conference seasons. Arizona has gone 39-50 in the Pac-12 in the same period.

If you are Arizona coach Adia Barnes, you put your signature on the contract before Baylor athletic director Mack Rhoades changes his mind, right? But you pause because you have long been considered the best women's basketball player in Arizona history. You pause because your quality of life in Tucson is off-the-charts exceptional. You can practically walk to McKale Center from your home near campus.

So why take the Baylor job, or any other job? You've got a winning legacy in Tucson and it might double or triple in the next decade. You are already the most popular coach on campus, only 44, entering the prime of your career. Season ticket sales are about to double the school record.

That's what Barnes had to be asking herself last April, three weeks after Arizona played in the Final Four championship game, one shot a few lousy inches from an NCAA championship.

Rhoades arranged for a private jet to fly to Tucson and bring Barnes and her husband, assistant coach Salvo Coppa, back to Waco, Texas, and complete the deal.

Rhoades was armed with his best stuff, the best pitches an AD can make in women's basketball.

He surely told Barnes about the $100 million campaign to build a new basketball arena on the Baylor campus, one to replace 33-year-old Ferrell Center, at which Baylor's women's basketball team has not averaged fewer than 5,849 fans the last 15 seasons.

Baylor has won 11 consecutive Big 12 regular-season championships. It won the Final Fours of 2005, 2012 and 2019. Baylor women's basketball is the equivalent of Duke or Kansas men's basketball. Nobody turns down a job at a Duke or a Kansas. Barnes did.

Maybe Rhoades will never say as much on the record; that would undermine the coach he eventually hired, WNBA head coach Nicki Collen. And it's unlikely Barnes will ever publicly say that the Baylor job was hers to turn down.

UA athletic director Dave Heeke announced that he had reworked Barnes' contract,
A month earlier,

It's not much different now than in 1985 and 1989, when men's basketball blueblood Kentucky twice tried to steal Lute Olson from Arizona. UA athletic director Cedric Dempsey acted swiftly to keep Olson then, and to Heeke's credit, he was alert and proactive, doing all he could to keep Barnes from becoming a Texan.

VanDerveer is 68. Auriemma is 67, nearing the end of their Hall of Fame careers. At 44, Adia Barnes is just getting started, one of the most promising two or three "next generation" coaches in women's college basketball. No wonder Baylor wanted her on that plane to Waco.

Link for entire article
https://tucson.com/sports/greghansen/greg-hansen-adia-barnes-chose-arizona-over-big-money-baylor-and-the-wildcats-are-already/article_507acc4a-2abf-11ec-96ab-db44299b700c.html

Thanks., This is one article I saw at the time discussing it. I also heard from several people within the Baylor community that they felt they were getting used to improve current contracts. It is, by and large, why I think they went the WNBA route. Got tired of pointless discussions etc.
Baylorbearsupporter
Camille Hobby (6-3 SR center, Jacksonville, FL) has announced that she's entering her name into the portal, as a grad xfer out of NC State WBB; 2022-23 stats: 8.8 PPG, 4.2 RPG
Baylorbearsupporter
#BREAKING: Kennedy Todd-Williams (North Carolina) has entered the transfer portal. #NCAAW.
2022-23 stats: 13.4 PPG, 5.4 RPG; second-team All-ACC
Eball
Welcome to the new normal in Basketball...with the transfer portal you can remake your team on the fly! I know people get sick on Kim references, but she took a team that had won 9 games the year before she got there to a team that hosted in the first round of tourney last year...she had some leave and she brought in a couple and completely turned things around. Now this season. 12 players 9 are brand new to the program this year! 4 freshman, 1 JC, and 4 transfers

Teams are going to blow themselves up and rebuild every year...keep your 3-5 top players and shop the portal for kids better than the bottom of your rotation. Yall remember what Syracuse and Maryland lost last year and Syracuse rebounded fairly well and Maryland might be better despite big time losses of talent. You never know who is driving the transfers kids, or coaches.
Olympia3
Get a point and move Sarah to the wing, or double point and have them slash instead of jack up threes.

Get a couple more transfers and we can be good.

Get Buggs in the gym and have her get a jumper and we can be real good.
blackie
slimecap said:

blackie said:

bawitdaball said:

Hi blackie,
Hope it helps!

Nov 3, 2021
Updated Dec 5, 2022

A month earlier,

Link for entire article

Thanks slimecap. I had never seen or heard this before. While it certainly seems to point to Baylor interest in Barnes, it still leaves the door open that she was actually never offered as indicated by the part in the article that says:

Quote:

But it also can lead one to the conclusion that why Baylor may have wanted to look at her, she never had any real interest in coming here, but did see it as a way to leverage her own contract at AZ. Guess we'll never know for sure.

Certainly glad she is not here for whatever the reason. But if it did play out as the article wants its readers to believe that she turned down Baylor, it does support the feeling that I had when the hiring search process was going on and many people here talked about how attractive a job it was. My feeling was that yes, it should be attractive but do you really want to take the risk of leaving a place where you have built a program to be able to complete at a high level or are seen as a rapid up and comer and replace a HOF coach, especially when you looked at the roster situation you would be inheriting. Yes, it could be great the first year with Smith and Egbo, but there wasn't much left after the transfers left after Mulkey left.

It would be a huge risk for a coach that could not depend on their "name" to just pull players in regardless of where your school was located. Only a few coaches might pull elite players in with their name regardless of where they went.....Geno, Tara, Mulkey, Muffet (but she retired), Pat (but she had died). And why would they leave what they had? They were already well-paid. They had no reason to leave. It would be a lateral move at best.

I just thought it was going to be a lot tougher to find an established NCAA coach than people thought. Some thought a coach would give their "right arm" if necessary to come to Baylor, even with a big salary increase. You would be taking the risk of getting that big salary and then going into the career dumpster a few years later, becoming the next Goestenkors. I just thought it was just too big of a risk for someone who was established. If this is true about Barnes, I suspect there may have been others. They didn't not come to Baylor because we weren't willing to pay, but because they weren't willing to take the risk of replacing the legend.

I am thrilled with the coach we have!
ScottS
Think we hit the portal hard?
Dcheetah
Good post. Thank God for unanswered prayers!
bawitdaball
blackie said:

slimecap said:

blackie said:

bawitdaball said:

Hi blackie,
Hope it helps!

Nov 3, 2021
Updated Dec 5, 2022

A month earlier,

Link for entire article

Thanks slimecap. I had never seen or heard this before. While it certainly seems to point to Baylor interest in Barnes, it still leaves the door open that she was actually never offered as indicated by the part in the article that says:

Quote:

But it also can lead one to the conclusion that why Baylor may have wanted to look at her, she never had any real interest in coming here, but did see it as a way to leverage her own contract at AZ. Guess we'll never know for sure.

Certainly glad she is not here for whatever the reason. But if it did play out as the article wants its readers to believe that she turned down Baylor, it does support the feeling that I had when the hiring search process was going on and many people here talked about how attractive a job it was. My feeling was that yes, it should be attractive but do you really want to take the risk of leaving a place where you have built a program to be able to complete at a high level or are seen as a rapid up and comer and replace a HOF coach, especially when you looked at the roster situation you would be inheriting. Yes, it could be great the first year with Smith and Egbo, but there wasn't much left after the transfers left after Mulkey left.

It would be a huge risk for a coach that could not depend on their "name" to just pull players in regardless of where your school was located. Only a few coaches might pull elite players in with their name regardless of where they went.....Geno, Tara, Mulkey, Muffet (but she retired), Pat (but she had died). And why would they leave what they had? They were already well-paid. They had no reason to leave. It would be a lateral move at best.

I just thought it was going to be a lot tougher to find an established NCAA coach than people thought. Some thought a coach would give their "right arm" if necessary to come to Baylor, even with a big salary increase. You would be taking the risk of getting that big salary and then going into the career dumpster a few years later, becoming the next Goestenkors. I just thought it was just too big of a risk for someone who was established. If this is true about Barnes, I suspect there may have been others. They didn't not come to Baylor because we weren't willing to pay, but because they weren't willing to take the risk of replacing the legend.

I am thrilled with the coach we have!

I believe reports had us offering Barnes, the coach from Georgia (who is now at A&M) and the guy at NC State. I honestly feel that bad things gone down a year or two earlier , Vic Shaffer would be our current coach. Again, all things happen for a reason. No doubt about that.
74Bear
Shaylee Gonzales may be exiting UT per several on their board per Craig Way.

And

Jordyn Oliver has entered the transfer portal, per a report from The Next's Mitchell Northam. After coming to Duke following two seasons at Baylor, the redshirt junior saw time on the floor for just one season with the Blue Devils, having sat out the 2021-22 season rehabbing from an injury
Bear3
I can see Vic losing several to the portal. His coaching style is not popular with a number of players. He lost several players last year.
Big Bear
And if I had been the AD she would not have been on my list.
BUVA
Gonzales great shooter! Came to ut from BYU.

Jordyn sat out her frosh year with injury at BU.
BBWCBear
MrGolfguy said:

BBWCBear said:

The last true three point threat BU had was Emily Niemann, a true three point threat.
Odyssey Sims & Juicy Landrum say hello.
Very good, but ain't in the same conversation. Put those three in a 100 count of shooting 3's and Niemann wins going away... almost Larry Byrdish.
74Bear
Lauren Fields leaving Arizona now.
WacoKelly83
Didnt see that one coming
Baylorbearsupporter
Nicki collen and Chloe have both started following her on instagram.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.