2021 WBB Recruiting

56,110 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dcheetah
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hope this helps

Adriacus Peratuun
buildabear1 said:

Chip and Joanna Gaines couldn't fix waco up enough. East side raggedy, Southside raggedy, north side raggedy, and west not great. Sounding area. Bellmead raggedy, Robinson country , Hewitt okay. And i'm from waco, so no shade just facts.
Fact: Storrs Connecticut. Middle of nowhere. Really. UConn was built on undeveloped land not close to anything. Closest city is Hartford [30-40 minute drive]. Students can do stuff on campus or drive to Hartford. Of course, when they arrive in Hartford they find that everyone below 50 years old went to NYC [another 3 hour drive] because Hartford is dead.

Fact: South Bend Indiana. Think smaller and older version of Waco. Students have the college town experience at a lower level. Closest city of size? Gary Indiana......the most disgusting place in America. Or pass through that dump, continue through the dump that is the South Side of Chicago, and hit the Miracle Mile where students can't afford anything. Dallas and Austin are easier drives.

Waco is the CTX version of Lawrence KS, Corvallis OR, Knoxville TN etc. College town.

If location really mattered, we would be recruiting against NYU not UConn, Northwestern not Notre Dame, etc.

blueeyedbear
buildabear1 said:

Chip and Joanna Gaines couldn't fix waco up enough. East side raggedy, Southside raggedy, north side raggedy, and west not great. Sounding area. Bellmead raggedy, Robinson country , Hewitt okay. And i'm from waco, so no shade just facts.
When are you leaving ? Need help loading the moving van ?
buildabear1
Sorry partner, no longer live there. Again if Baylor was in Austin athletes would trip over themselves to get in. Some one already ask the question, with the success of the program why aren't athletes coming in here as quick. I know most of you don't what believe it but it's a fact. Love it or hate it.
Adriacus Peratuun
buildabear1 said:

Sorry partner, no longer live there. Again if Baylor was in Austin athletes would trip over themselves to get in. Some one already ask the question, with the success of the program why aren't athletes coming in here as quick. I know most of you don't what believe it but it's a fact. Love it or hate it.
2020 and prior recruiting cycles....

2020-Baylor signed the Top Two players in Texas [who are both consensus National Top Ten players].
2019-Baylor signed the Top player in Texas [multiple National Top Ten lists, consensus Top 25 lists].
2018-Baylor signed two of the Top Three players in Texas, another National Top Ten Player, another National Top 25 player and another National Top 100 player.

By any reasonable standard, that is high level recruiting. Being selective with scholarship offers isn't the same as a recruiting drought.

2021 isn't a banner year for talent. Many prognosticators think 2022 & 2023 may be the best years for recruits. Ever. With that upcoming talent wave, Baylor needs to save scholarships [and have a "thinner" roster as a recruiting tool].

Baylor's scholarship acceptance rate [# accept/# offered] is exceedingly high [probably in the top 2-3 highest in the nation].

Not sure what axe you are grinding, but your arguments are not strong.
Heart
I'have two recent college kids, both cared Way more about the beautiful campus, culture, athletics, campus experiences, and especially the strength of the academic programs of their college choice than the cities. And truthfully, the cities were a tiny part of their lives. One is a proud Baylor grad. She loved the smaller city, had favorite restaurants and stores she shopped, but most of her activities were centered on campus at Baylor. She was thankful for ease of driving in a smaller city for her shopping needs and volunteering experience. She loved the gorgeous Baylor campus, but most especially the students and faculty
WacoKelly83
Couldn't have said it better.
Swim
And I think it's going to be an even bigger factor once they allow the athletes to make money off of their name and likeness meaning they can sign endorsement deals. Bigger college cities like Austin with UT, Dallas with SMU, Miami with UM, and California with USC and UCLA are going to have an advantage.
Eball
Every year it is the same....the sky is falling... we can't compete...we can't recruit...Mulkey is old and through...Waco is bad Baylor is bad no way anyone comes to Waco and BU just to come...

And every year CKM keeps proving the naysayers wrong...everyone relax and ignore these idiots with some weird axe to grind and/or the Debbie Downers who refuse to look on the bright side of anything.

Stay safe out there...
blueeyedbear
Eball said:

Every year it is the same....the sky is falling... we can't compete...we can't recruit...Mulkey is old and through...Waco is bad Baylor is bad no way anyone comes to Waco and BU just to come...

And every year CKM keeps proving the naysayers wrong...everyone relax and ignore these idiots with some weird axe to grind and/or the Debbie Downers who refuse to look on the bright side of anything.

Stay safe out there...
Yaaaaaaaaa Eball - good to hear from you 11
Adriacus Peratuun
Swim said:

And I think it's going to be an even bigger factor once they allow the athletes to make money off of their name and likeness meaning they can sign endorsement deals. Bigger college cities like Austin with UT, Dallas with SMU, Miami with UM, and California with USC and UCLA are going to have an advantage.

Not so much.

% of people in California with any interest in UCLA or USC WBB? less than .00000000000000000000000001%

Attended a USC vs. Washington game a few years ago. Less than 60 people in attendance. Half were Husky family/friends/fans.

SMU.......nothing more need be said.

Miami........they couldn't get 300 people to attend even if they were playing the games on South Beach.

Endorsement money will either be a way for wealthy alum to funnel money [SEC] or relate to media exposure [winning].
Swim
You're right wbb is totally different than football.
Adriacus Peratuun
Swim said:

You're right wbb is totally different than football.

A nobody lawyer from Miami who graduated from the University of Miami [twice] is proclaiming Miami as a future powerhouse.

Plenty of Credentials and No Bias or Prejudice there.....LOL.

Have any better cards to play?

Swim
As if Miami hasn't won before. It's common sense that bigger thriving cities like Miami, LA, Dallas, and Houston will be able to offer more to athletes in terms marketing opportunities to increase their brand. Most high school athletes already have huge followings on social media. A billboard with your face on it in downtown LA or a commercial in LA hits a little different than if it was in a small rural college town.
gone to Tickfaw
Unless things have drastically changed since my day, most students on most campuses live in the campus "bubble." Even at USC. Especially at USC. There are forays off the campus, but the town "community" of the university campus is where most students spend their time.

As for Austin, I'd rather not spend most of my life in traffic... it's horrendous. Give me Waco, except 35 when all the Austinites are traveling to Dallas for something to do
Swim
Yeah, we'll just agree to disagree on that but the bottom line is that as long as Baylor wbb continues to win they won't have any problem attracting recruits.
Dcheetah
Tx appears to be moving on without 21 recruit Paige Bradley to make more room. Just last week she tweeted at Rori H telling her welcome to the team and she was excited.to play with her. She won't be the last.
Wbbfan29
Didn't make the cut for another in state recruit

Top-60 2021 prospect Jasmine Shavers, 5-10 G, Mesquite Horn HS (TX), has announced her final eight schools: Arizona, Kentucky, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Northwestern, Rutgers, Tennessee, and Texas Tech

Eball
Wbbfan29 said:

Didn't make the cut for another in state recruit

Top-60 2021 prospect Jasmine Shavers, 5-10 G, Mesquite Horn HS (TX), has announced her final eight schools: Arizona, Kentucky, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Northwestern, Rutgers, Tennessee, and Texas Tech

I don't think we were interested in her or had offered her?
Wbbfan29
Well she was mentioned on this thread....I was just giving an update
Baylorkid
Which top prospects are left from this class? We have 10 girls on our roster this year and we lose 2 after the year so only 8 girls returning for 2021-2022. We'd have to sign a few or wait for the transfer.
Eball
Baylorkid said:

Which top prospects are left from this class? We have 10 girls on our roster this year and we lose 2 after the year so only 8 girls returning for 2021-2022. We'd have to sign a few or wait for the transfer.
In the ESPN Top 100 43 out of 100 (2021) have committed if my math is any good...(counting skills) I am old...we still have more the half the top 100 left to commit. We are getting pretty far ahead of ourselves...let's worry about this year and any potential additional Grad or regular transfers...
57Bear
Eball said:

Baylorkid said:

In the ESPN Top 100 43 out of 100 (2021) have committed if my math is any good...(counting skills) I am old...we still have more the half the top 100 left to commit. We are getting pretty far ahead of ourselves...let's worry about this year and any potential additional Grad or regular transfers...
Alternatively 10 out of 21 have committed if you look at those rated 98. (Two of those 10 are committed to Texas.) Most of KM's recent commits have been rated 98.
Baylorkid
Haha I mean we are Baylor! We should be getting these recruits more easily
Adriacus Peratuun
Observations:

From the outside Coach Mulkey seems to be happiest [for purposes of team management and playing time allocation] with a roster of 11-12 players. Less cats to herd. Less stress to balance playing time, practice reps, outside issues.

The program is at a level where she can accumulate top talent without having to put up with unnecessary drama. Juxtapose that with Louisville where the % of high maintenance players keeps growing [their 2021 commit Verhulst came equipped with a Top 1000 Demand List].

Looking more like 2021 recruiting may resemble 2019 recruiting: one high level recruit [this time a post].

Transfers are changing the game. Better to wait and take a proven transfer than take "might develop" high schooler.

SA Finest, Texas Tar Heels, Texas Elite, Houston Elite, ProSkills, CyFair Elite, Lady Drive Nation, Texas Flight Elite, etc......Baylor seems to be well situated with all of the major Texas basketball development teams. Bodes well as the teams are loaded with talent [guards/wings/posts] in the 2022 & 2023 classes.

Tampa Final Four win may pay an additional dividend.

Not getting Wolfenbarger makes selling to Sa'Myah Smith easier.

2023 is going to match 2017 in Texas point guard recruit quality.

With the increasing size of wings [6'4 and above], the ability/willingness to incorporate more 1 In 4 Out & 5 Out schemes in Baylor's offense is huge.

Wbbfan29
Wow a demand list ??? The nerve of some of these kids...
Dcheetah
Is the 21 list likely to look like 1 HS and 2 transfers?

Are we interested in any of the remaining 21 guards (K McPherson...?)

Is the Tampa Bay benefit possibly Janiah B class22?

Since Moratorium lifted but early word is that vote will not pass til 21-22 - are you still thinking vote will ultimately pass so we can get another Big potentially and JO be approved to play this year?
Adriacus Peratuun
Wbbfan29 said:

Wow a demand list ??? The nerve of some of these kids...
The pendulum is starting to swing very far the other way [power sharing among players/coaches/programs].

There is something in the Kansas water with players having detailed "must have" lists.
Adriacus Peratuun
Dcheetah said:

Is the 21 list likely to look like 1 HS and 2 transfers?

Are we interested in any of the remaining 21 guards (K McPherson...?)

Is the Tampa Bay benefit possibly Janiah B class22?

Since Moratorium lifted but early word is that vote will not pass til 21-22 - are you still thinking vote will ultimately pass so we can get another Big potentially and JO be approved to play this year?
While the lack of Summer Ball [almost certain] means fewer changes in player evaluation/rating, stuff can still happen. That said, 1 high school post and 1 transfer wing would not shock me at all.

Interested as in watching? Yes. Offers? Not that I have heard.

Yes.

What I heard is that the Vote to change the One Time Transfer Rule will be voted on and passed in May but it won't take effect until 2021. That said, was also told that 100% of the 2020 Transfer Waiver requests will be Granted [the same direct effect as having the Rule become effective immediately (all transfers playing next year) but "hoping" that it avoids the indirect effect of causing a transfer stampede]. I would be shocked if Owens transfer isn't granted and she isn't eligible next year. I think the granting of the waivers will be SLOW [to avoid incentivizing more] but in the end they will all be granted. That decision is a big item for Baylor as it help balance the roster allocation [and fix our short term shooting woes].

Side Comment: keep hearing outstanding feedback on Baylor's 2022 and 2023 recruiting efforts.
Dcheetah
Great! Thank you!
BaylorBears_254
I'm fine with the approach Mulkey is taking to recruiting.

We'll be fine. Only true needs we have to address is a wing player and post, which can also we addressed through the transfer portal. Honestly just enough to hold off until 2023 when we get Wagner and the others who will jump on board,
BUbackerinET
Thanks, Cap - really confusing to me - how would anybody know about her outside Arkansas, unless she was being hyped that early, and I don't recall that, whatever...wish her the best, but she is lacking a supporting cast, and don't project them into the FF anytime soon.
David Lasseter
Yes 2023 is the biig year Wagner and another Cox in the pipeline....how awesome those 2 outstanding players as Wagner is rated #2 for 2023 and also in the ESPN Top Ten of future classes 2021-2024.

SICEM LADY BEARS!!!!!!!!!!
David
Dcheetah
Kaylin Rice and Sammie Wagners Mom liking a post by Raven Johnson...maybe?
SirBearALot
Since this thread was started we have since added #1 post player of 2021 class and two highly touted guard transfers. In Mulkey we trust. SicEm !!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.