Deconstructing from Fundamental Christianity

62,424 Views | 1255 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TexasScientist
TexasScientist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BearlySpeaking said:

TexasScientist said:

BearlySpeaking said:

TexasScientist said:

Eminent scientists? Most scientists, especially eminent, don't share your views.
Boyle, Lavoisier, Euler, Pascal, Newton, Leibniz, Faraday, Maxwell, Mendel, Compton, Riemann, LeMaitre, Townes, Gibbs, Gauss, Walton, J J Thomson, Kelvin, Cantor, Babbage, Heisenberg, Davy, and others disagree with you. If you know anything at all about the history of science and mathematics, you will recognize those names. They range from the Enlightenment period to the 20th century.

You make it clear you think Christians are idiots, and that's fine; I've had atheists tell me that before when they found out I was a Christian and they are entitled to their opinion of me. But don't lie and say "especially eminent scientists" are not Christians when even a cursory glance at the history of science show your claim is false. I met numerous very intelligent professors and students at Baylor who were committed Christians, some who were not raised in the faith as children. While I have met a few thoughtful and intelligent atheists, I have also met a lot more village atheists whose only argument is to say the phrase "sky daddy" like it is a deep concept and think it is a slam dunk argument. Talked to one who actually denied that logic was a necessary part of philosophical arguments in order to preserve the status of his "sky daddy" stand-alone phrase as an 'argument.' There is nothing essentially inherent in being an atheist that entails rationality and logical thinking.
Those were eminent scientists who made scientific advances in their day. Many, as enlightened as they were, were still ignorant by today's knowledge. Most eminent scientists living today do not believe in the god of the OT, NT, and Koran, nor any other man made religion.

Imaginary friend is a better description. Your experience at Baylor is irrelevant to reality, and what we know to be compatible with science.
You didn't qualify it as "today's" eminent scientists. You made a universal claim and now you are backtracking. This last post really strikes me as an "In this moment, I am euphoric" meme post. You claim superiority to some of the greatest scientists because they were Christians. That is pretty hubristic. It's pretty laughable to say Heisenberg or Reimann were ignorant people compared to you. I also guess the 19th and 20th century scientists that were mentioned lived in the dark ages according to you?

My experience at Baylor was real, despite your claim that it was not. I met plenty of very intelligent and well-read people by the standards of "today's knowledge" who were committed Christians. I have met atheists who couldn't find the first page of a beginner's logic book. Your denial of that reality does not make it so, and it's very strange to say that my empirical encounters with these people is "not compatible with science." That doesn't even make sense.

There is a lot more to what science is, historically, epistemologically, and metaphysically, than you seem to be aware of. The fusion of mathematics and experimental methods generated out of Descartes philosophy doesn't entail anything about the world other than that there is an isomorphism between mathematics (an idealistic non-empirical field that lies outside the field of science) and experimental science that can be used to study the material aspect of the world. To make a metaphysics out of this form of science, over and above just being a practitioner of science, brings a whole set of problems along with it. I still haven't found a scientist, for example, who has completely answered Hume's arguments about the problem of causal necessity, and scientists who aren't averse to investigating the epistemological and metaphysical foundations of science are grappling with the problems of what constitutes scientific truth. Even in mathematics there has been a logical breakdown in the goal of truth-completeness in the early 20th century. Science is not the absolute that has the "truth" locked down you make it out to be either in regard to content or method. You would benefit from reading works on the philosophy of science to break you out of your scientism ideology. The scientific world is a lot richer and puzzling than you think it is.

I'll say it again - There is nothing essentially inherent in being an atheist that entails rationality and logical thinking. Your denial of the truth of that statement is irrelevant to the reality of its truth. The fact you stick by the "sky daddy" phrase (even if you dress it up as "imaginary friend") shows your position is ultimately rhetorical and not rationally based.
In regards to your first paragraph, any collection of SciGuy's post will demonstrate a lack of humility.
So says someone who believes their cultist beliefs are reality. ???
JXL
"The argument on the basis of design, though trite, has never been adequately refuted. On the contrary, as we learn more about our world, the probability of its having resulted by chance processes becomes more and more remote, so that few indeed are the scientific men of today who will defend an atheistic attitude."

Arthur Compton, Nobel Prize-winning physicist
TexasScientist
JXL said:

"The argument on the basis of design, though trite, has never been adequately refuted. On the contrary, as we learn more about our world, the probability of its having resulted by chance processes becomes more and more remote, so that few indeed are the scientific men of today who will defend an atheistic attitude."

"As you learn more about the irrelevance of human life to the general mechanism of the universe, the idea of an interested god, becomes increasingly implausible."

"It's a consequence of the experience of science. As you learn more and more about the universe, you find you can understand more and more without any reference to supernatural intervention, so you lose interest in that possibility. Most scientists I know don't care enough about religion even to call themselves atheists. And that, I think, is one of the great things about science - that it has made it possible for people not to be religious."

Steven Weinberg, Nobel laureate in physics
BusyTarpDuster2017
TX Scientist, you, as well your friends here, have still yet to provide their BEST example of a scientific fact or knowledge we know today that disproves a God or Christianity, despite my challenge to you all to do so. The others scurried away at the challenge, and we've not heard from them since. You're here repeating the claim that what we know today debunks the truth of Christianity (despite this having been defeated repeatedly), so why not take another shot here? Just one example, your BEST one, so that you don't go into a long diatribe. And we can focus like a laser beam on just that one for the purpose of discussion.
LIB,MR BEARS
TexasScientist said:

JXL said:

"As you learn more about the irrelevance of human life to the general mechanism of the universe, the idea of an interested god, becomes increasingly implausible."

So Weinberg can't defend it either all he can say is that mankind is insignificant. Amazingly, he seems to rephrase this passage: "When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and the stars, which You have ordained;
What is man that You take thought of him,
And the son of man that You care for him?"
Psalm 8:3-4

It's great to see you coming around.
BusyTarpDuster2017
TexasScientist said:

JXL said:

"As you learn more about the irrelevance of human life to the general mechanism of the universe, the idea of an interested god, becomes increasingly implausible." A non scientific statement or argument from logic or physics. Its just an assertion of his belief.

"It's a consequence of the experience of science. As you learn more and more about the universe, you find you can understand more and more without any reference to supernatural intervention, so you lose interest in that possibility. (Obviously, this isn't true, given what many other scientists like Compton believe) Most scientists I know don't care enough about religion even to call themselves atheists. And that, I think, is one of the great things about science - that it has made it possible for people not to be religious." Another non scienctific statement. It's just an anti-religion sentiment.

(Compton's statement above is based on actual scientific and mathematical reasoning.)
BearlySpeaking
TexasScientist said:

BearlySpeaking said:

TexasScientist said:

BearlySpeaking said:

TexasScientist said:

Eminent scientists? Most scientists, especially eminent, don't share your views.
Boyle, Lavoisier, Euler, Pascal, Newton, Leibniz, Faraday, Maxwell, Mendel, Compton, Riemann, LeMaitre, Townes, Gibbs, Gauss, Walton, J J Thomson, Kelvin, Cantor, Babbage, Heisenberg, Davy, and others disagree with you. If you know anything at all about the history of science and mathematics, you will recognize those names. They range from the Enlightenment period to the 20th century.

You make it clear you think Christians are idiots, and that's fine; I've had atheists tell me that before when they found out I was a Christian and they are entitled to their opinion of me. But don't lie and say "especially eminent scientists" are not Christians when even a cursory glance at the history of science show your claim is false. I met numerous very intelligent professors and students at Baylor who were committed Christians, some who were not raised in the faith as children. While I have met a few thoughtful and intelligent atheists, I have also met a lot more village atheists whose only argument is to say the phrase "sky daddy" like it is a deep concept and think it is a slam dunk argument. Talked to one who actually denied that logic was a necessary part of philosophical arguments in order to preserve the status of his "sky daddy" stand-alone phrase as an 'argument.' There is nothing essentially inherent in being an atheist that entails rationality and logical thinking.
Those were eminent scientists who made scientific advances in their day. Many, as enlightened as they were, were still ignorant by today's knowledge. Most eminent scientists living today do not believe in the god of the OT, NT, and Koran, nor any other man made religion.

Imaginary friend is a better description. Your experience at Baylor is irrelevant to reality, and what we know to be compatible with science.
You didn't qualify it as "today's" eminent scientists. You made a universal claim and now you are backtracking. This last post really strikes me as an "In this moment, I am euphoric" meme post. You claim superiority to some of the greatest scientists because they were Christians. That is pretty hubristic. It's pretty laughable to say Heisenberg or Reimann were ignorant people compared to you. I also guess the 19th and 20th century scientists that were mentioned lived in the dark ages according to you?

My experience at Baylor was real, despite your claim that it was not. I met plenty of very intelligent and well-read people by the standards of "today's knowledge" who were committed Christians. I have met atheists who couldn't find the first page of a beginner's logic book. Your denial of that reality does not make it so, and it's very strange to say that my empirical encounters with these people is "not compatible with science." That doesn't even make sense.

There is a lot more to what science is, historically, epistemologically, and metaphysically, than you seem to be aware of. The fusion of mathematics and experimental methods generated out of Descartes' (another Christian) philosophy doesn't entail anything about the world other than that there is an isomorphism between mathematics (an idealistic non-empirical field that lies outside the field of science) and experimental science that can be used to study the material aspect of the world. To make a metaphysics out of this form of science, over and above just being a practitioner of science, brings a whole set of problems along with it. I still haven't found a scientist, for example, who has completely answered Hume's arguments about the problem of causal necessity, and scientists who aren't averse to investigating the epistemological and metaphysical foundations of science are grappling with the problems of what constitutes scientific truth. Even in mathematics there has been a logical breakdown in the goal of truth-completeness in the early 20th century. Science is not the absolute that has the "truth" locked down you make it out to be either in regard to content or method. You would benefit from reading works on the philosophy of science to break you out of your scientism ideology. The scientific world is a lot richer and puzzling than you think it is.

I'll say it again - There is nothing essentially inherent in being an atheist that entails rationality and logical thinking. Your denial of the truth of that statement is irrelevant to the reality of its truth. The fact you stick by the "sky daddy" phrase (even if you dress it up as "imaginary friend") shows your position is ultimately rhetorical and not rationally based.
I'm using the term your brought up. It's all about context. Science is how we unlock truth from the shackles of ignorance and cultural beliefs. Isn't it remarkable, in spite of it's historical origins and the prejudices of those origins, that science has been able to reveal what we know of the universe today. We'll know even more in the future.

Imaginary friend is not rhetorical. All monotheistic religions are predicated upon an imaginary being.

Your rhetorical assertions of your personal beliefs not only does not refute what I said about science and mathematics, it doesn't even address it.

You lied when you said eminent scientists like Boyle, Lavoisier, Euler, Pascal, Newton, Leibniz, Faraday, Maxwell, Mendel, Compton, Riemann, LeMaitre, Townes, Gibbs, Gauss, Walton, J J Thomson, Kelvin, Cantor, Babbage, Heisenberg, Davy and others of their caliber didn't believe in God, and when called out on it, instead of admitting you lied, you claimed you are superior to them intellectually because they were ignorant people on the basis of not living in our lifetime with your current cultural biases, despite some of them living in our lifetime - which directly contradicts the basis of your claim about why they are inferior to your intellect.

This being so, your statements don't have any credibility.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

joseywales said:

A Woman has a right to do with her body as she pleases, no one is turning a back to God because you don't even know of there is a personal God. Why people hang on to belief systems created when people were totally uneducated about the world and how it works and how we got here and where we stand in perspective to the whole universe. There is no way a belief system like Christianity or Muslim etc could be created in today's environment of richness of knowledge.

Those human beings that created their belief systems based on their worldly experience and the religion beliefs that came before them. They are all culturally created systems not God made. I agree there seems to be a higher power that may have put all this in motion however as I have said before all of man's religions fall so ridiculously short of a God who could have created the universe.

It is hard to overcome brainwashing started at young ages. RELIGION has thrive on teaching brains these absurd superstitious beliefs like the p
romise of eternal life and a god watching over and protecting you each and every moment of your life. There is overwhelimg evidence today that none of that is true and most likely when you die you die like all the ancestors mankind came from did.

Sin is a man-made idea that helped control the masses and created guilt so churches had power to punish, burn and eliminate any belief system that differed from their own. There was never an Adam and eve and like the rest
Of the so called man in God's form from the other various belief systems, Jesus was just a man.
Congratulations, you might have just broken the sicem365 record for the most nonsense written in a single post. Previously held by JB Katz, I think. TXScience and Waco47 were very close contenders.
Not near the nonsense of a man made imaginary friend.
I have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. I hope, TexasScientist, that you too can find joy in your life.

Thank you, but I don't have to find joy. I already have it.
Odd. I don't see it in your posts.
I wonder if that has anything to do with your posts?
Nope, if you mean are you controlled by me in what you say. Although you may well be using my posts to excuse your own rudeness.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
TexasScientist
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TX Scientist, you, as well your friends here, have still yet to provide their BEST example of a scientific fact or knowledge we know today that disproves a God or Christianity, despite my challenge to you all to do so. The others scurried away at the challenge, and we've not heard from them since. You're here repeating the claim that what we know today debunks the truth of Christianity (despite this having been defeated repeatedly), so why not take another shot here? Just one example, your BEST one, so that you don't go into a long diatribe. And we can focus like a laser beam on just that one for the purpose of discussion.
Preponderance of the evidence. No god is needed to explain existence of the universe. BTW - Your delusion doesn't equate to my defeat.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

joseywales said:

A Woman has a right to do with her body as she pleases, no one is turning a back to God because you don't even know of there is a personal God. Why people hang on to belief systems created when people were totally uneducated about the world and how it works and how we got here and where we stand in perspective to the whole universe. There is no way a belief system like Christianity or Muslim etc could be created in today's environment of richness of knowledge.

Those human beings that created their belief systems based on their worldly experience and the religion beliefs that came before them. They are all culturally created systems not God made. I agree there seems to be a higher power that may have put all this in motion however as I have said before all of man's religions fall so ridiculously short of a God who could have created the universe.

It is hard to overcome brainwashing started at young ages. RELIGION has thrive on teaching brains these absurd superstitious beliefs like the p
romise of eternal life and a god watching over and protecting you each and every moment of your life. There is overwhelimg evidence today that none of that is true and most likely when you die you die like all the ancestors mankind came from did.

Sin is a man-made idea that helped control the masses and created guilt so churches had power to punish, burn and eliminate any belief system that differed from their own. There was never an Adam and eve and like the rest
Of the so called man in God's form from the other various belief systems, Jesus was just a man.
Congratulations, you might have just broken the sicem365 record for the most nonsense written in a single post. Previously held by JB Katz, I think. TXScience and Waco47 were very close contenders.
I have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. I hope, TexasScientist, that you too can find joy in your life.

Nope, if you mean are you controlled by me in what you say. Although you may well be using my posts to excuse your own rudeness.
No, you have the corner on rudeness.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

joseywales said:

Again, judging from your posts that's absolutely not true. And there are many fine purveyors of rudeness, arrogance, bitterness and/or spite.

My occasional contribution is ordinary and passe next to your hard-spit efforts, TS.
BusyTarpDuster2017
TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Preponderance of the evidence. No god is needed to explain existence of the universe. BTW - Your delusion doesn't equate to my defeat.
Re: (bolded part above) - Therefore God does not exist? It does not follow. It would be like a situation where a person builds a house of cards and you come across it when no one is there, and you argue that it is theoretically possible for the house of cards to have formed when a deck of cards fell and landed in that shape; therefore, since it is possible to explain its existence without a person making it, the person who made it doesn't exist. Logical fail.

Give one example of evidence, your BEST one, that is part of the "preponderance of evidence". You're just dodging.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

joseywales said:

TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

joseywales said:

Again, judging from your posts that's absolutely not true. And there are many fine purveyors of rudeness, arrogance, bitterness and/or spite.

My occasional contribution is ordinary and passe next to your hard-spit efforts, TS.
You need to learn to look inward. You'll see much more clearly if you do.
TexasScientist
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Re: (bolded part above) - Therefore God does not exist? It does not follow. It would be like a situation where a person builds a house of cards and you come across it when no one is there, and you argue that it is theoretically possible for the house of cards to have formed when a deck of cards fell and landed in that shape; therefore, since it is possible to explain its existence without a person making it, the person who made it doesn't exist. Logical fail.

Give one example of evidence, your BEST one, that is part of the "preponderance of evidence". You're just dodging.
Absence of any evidence of existence outside of the human mind. Where is your evidence of a god's existence?
Coke Bear
TexasScientist said:

And…..? One can be intelligent, and yet ignorant. If they had the benefit of the knowledge we have today, they may have held a different belief. The more we learn of this universe, the less need there is for a god.
Chuckle.

All but Jaki (who died in 2009) are alive today.

Your bolded stated is also false. Learning more about the universe is learning more about God's amazing creation.

A quantum vacuum is still "something."
LIB,MR BEARS
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

joseywales said:

Look inward? Do other conglomerations of matter look inward? How? Why?
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

joseywales said:

You need to learn from these exchanges. Have a great Monday, TS.
BusyTarpDuster2017
TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Absence of any evidence of existence outside of the human mind. Where is your evidence of a god's existence?
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Another logical fail.

Don't turn this around on me. YOU repeatedly claim that knowledge we have today debunks God's existence. And as always, you are completely unable to back it up.

So it's no "delusion" that you've been defeated. The reality is evidenced right here.
JXL
TexasScientist said:

JXL said:

"It's a consequence of the experience of science. As you learn more and more about the universe, you find you can understand more and more without any reference to supernatural intervention, so you lose interest in that possibility. Most scientists I know don't care enough about religion even to call themselves atheists. And that, I think, is one of the great things about science - that it has made it possible for people not to be religious."

"But the context of religion is a great background for doing science. In the words of Psalm 19,
'The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament showeth his handiwork' Thus scientific research is a worshipful act, in that it reveals more of the wonders of God's creation."

Arthur Schawlow, Nobel Laureate in Physics
TexasScientist
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

There is no best one. There are numerous, including no evidence. Certainly, the character written in the various stories collected in the Bible does not exist. That character often described as all loving, all knowing, all powerful is incompatible with his alleged actions, and the universe. Consider the fact that people are insignificant in the scope of the universe as is this planet.
TexasScientist
JXL said:

TexasScientist said:

JXL said:

"But the context of religion is a great background for doing science. In the words of Psalm 19,
'The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament showeth his handiwork' Thus scientific research is a worshipful act, in that it reveals more of the wonders of God's creation."

Eminent scientists reject the supernatural: a survey of the Fellows of the Royal Society
https://evolution-outreach.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1936-6434-6-33

Leading scientists still reject God
https://www.nature.com/articles/28478

Religion among Scientists in International Context: A New Study of Scientists in Eight Regions
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2378023116664353
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

joseywales said:

You just can't help yourself, can you? Example ^^^^^ Almost everything you write, or post has overtones of rudeness.
TexasScientist
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Don't turn this around on me. YOU repeatedly claim that knowledge we have today debunks God's existence. And as always, you are completely unable to back it up.

So it's no "delusion" that you've been defeated. The reality is evidenced right here.
It's pretty good evidence when you have a religion that claims god intervenes supernaturally without any evidence. If there were supernatural intervention in accordance with his stated purpose and objectives, there would be objective evidence.

We have the evidence of reality. We have plausible evidence and explanation for the existence of the universe without the need for any supernatural being, especially the ones who are characterized in the stories of the Bible. Where is your evidence and explanation for the existence of any supernatural being, especially the ones characterized in the Bible stories?
TexasScientist
LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

joseywales said:

Possibly. It's a vast universe. In the case of humans, we have comparatively highly evolved cognitive brains. How - Physical processes of evolution. Why - There is no overarching or controlling purpose.
Coke Bear
TexasScientist said:

There is no best one. There are numerous, including no evidence. Certainly, the character written in the various stories collected in the Bible does not exist. That character often described as all loving, all knowing, all powerful is incompatible with his alleged actions, and the universe. Consider the fact that people are insignificant in the scope of the universe as is this planet.
Take the bible out of the equation and there is still many proofs for the existence of God.

With respect to so-called a God that is "incompatible with his alleged actions", once again, you fail to understand them when you will not look objectively at the explanations that have been offered.
Coke Bear
TexasScientist said:

It's pretty good evidence when you have a religion that claims god intervenes supernaturally without any evidence. If there were supernatural intervention in accordance with his stated purpose and objectives, there would be objective evidence.
You refuse to accept the 70+ miracles at Lourdes that have been independently medically verified. Plenty of evidence there.

Just one miracle is proof of the supernatural.

TexasScientist said:

We have the evidence of reality. We have plausible evidence and explanation for the existence of the universe without the need for any supernatural being, especially the ones who are characterized in the stories of the Bible. Where is your evidence and explanation for the existence of any supernatural being, especially the ones characterized in the Bible stories?
No, science still does NOT have "plausible evidence and explanation" of a creation ex nihilo. A quantum vacuum is NOT nothing.

Any thing at this point is still Science of the Gaps.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

joseywales said:

You just can't help yourself, can you? Example ^^^^^ Almost everything you write, or post has overtones of rudeness.
It's "rudeness" to wish you a good day, after suggesting you could learn from the exchange?

I think you project things which are not there, sir.
BusyTarpDuster2017
TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

You've not produced one bit of evidence that debunks God's existence or the truth of Christianity.

And you're just not smart enough to realize that.
LIB,MR BEARS
TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I can absolutely be seen as insignificant and yet, Christ died for me. He also died for you but you seem to struggle with humility and realizing that you actually need a savior.
LIB,MR BEARS
TexasScientist said:

JXL said:

TexasScientist said:

JXL said:

Eminent scientists reject the supernatural: a survey of the Fellows of the Royal Society
https://evolution-outreach.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1936-6434-6-33

Leading scientists still reject God
https://www.nature.com/articles/28478

Religion among Scientists in International Context: A New Study of Scientists in Eight Regions
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2378023116664353
Is this what science has come down to today, a majority say x and a minority y so it has to be x? Science has grown by taking the exact opposite position you are taking.
LIB,MR BEARS
TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

joseywales said:

Possibly. It's a vast universe. In the case of humans, we have comparatively highly evolved cognitive brains. How - Physical processes of evolution. Why - There is no overarching or controlling purpose.

Possible, like that house of cards?
TexasScientist
Coke Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

You refuse to accept the 70+ miracles at Lourdes that have been independently medically verified. Plenty of evidence there.

Just one miracle is proof of the supernatural.

TexasScientist said:

No, science still does NOT have "plausible evidence and explanation" of a creation ex nihilo. A quantum vacuum is NOT nothing.

Any thing at this point is still Science of the Gaps.
You mean the 70 or so, so called Church verified miracles out of the thousands of anecdotal sketchy claims of healings. None require miraculous explanation. Why are there no obvious miracles, such as regrowing a limb or raising the indisputable dead?

Your definition of nothing may not be applicable in quantum mechanics.

Science is in the business of closing the gaps by replacing the superstition, and myths of religion with knowledge. That is something no religion has been able to replicate.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

joseywales said:

It's "rudeness" to wish you a good day, after suggesting you could learn from the exchange?

I think you project things which are not there, sir.
Yes, the whole sentence is snarky, just the way you like - as you know.
TexasScientist
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

You've not produced one bit of evidence that debunks God's existence or the truth of Christianity.

And you're just not smart enough to realize that.
The evidence is that we find ourselves inconsequentially in this vast universe, without the need for any supernatural shenanigans. The 'truth' of Christianity is internally falsified by its own internal inconsistencies. Otherwise, you wouldn't need the excuses of apologetics.

Which version Christianity do you think represents the the truth of Christianity? Why is there so much confusion about that? If there were a Christian god, wouldn't he make that clear, and wouldn't he clear up the question about other religions also?

It's not a matter of being smart, for someone. Rather, it's about coming to grips, being honest with one's self, and acknowledging religious self delusion.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.