Why Are We in Ukraine?

292,519 Views | 5714 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Redbrickbear
Bear8084
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

You already know my opinion. I'm asking what you would do. Short of committing American troops to a five or ten-year war with potentially hundreds of thousands killed (if we're lucky and it doesn't go nuclear), how are you going to win?

What we're doing now has no significant effect and isn't a strategy for victory. It's just a way of buying time. The question you need to ask yourself is, buying time for what?

You may find you don't like the answer.
Buying time for negotiated Peace that is NOT all Russia's way. This is going to end up with a buffer/DMZ. Ukraine has lost Dombas and Crimea. Ukraine will enter NATO and this is over.

That is the what. And I like it fine. It meets all the requirements and the DMZ keeps Poland and the Baltics happy. Done. Biden is the ******* that is keeping it going, Trump ends it in 3 months.
Russia would have to be in a much, much worse position before they'd even talk about Ukraine entering NATO. So that just brings us back to the question of how to get there.
Keep going obviously.
What does that mean? Another year of so-called stalemate? Escalation with NATO troops? Missile strikes on the Kremlin?

"Just keep doing something" isn't a plan.
Sure it is, you have to cause Putin enough pain to bring him to the table.
Which we're not doing, at least not on our terms. These attacks aren't changing anything on the battlefield. If they led to a major setback, or even any setback, that might be causing pain. Then you'd have some semblance of a strategy.

Putin is complaining about targets being hit in Russia and talking about peace, Putin is feeling pain.
He's made half a dozen offers, and each one is worse than the last. That is not a sign of feeling pain.
His offers have not gotten worse.
You don't think Russia keeping four provinces is worse than two? That's interesting.
He's demanded 4 from the start.
No. See Istanbul and Minsk, among others.
But the Russians rejected that approach publicly in the first days of April. "Among our non-negotiable demands," Medinsky later recalled, "were the recognition of Russian sovereignty over Crimea [and] the recognition of the independence of the Donbass republics." There was no prospect that Ukraine could have kept its eastern territories by agreeing to neutrality.

Minsk was 15 years ago and wasn't followed anways.
Donbas = two provinces.
Wait, what 4 are you talking about then?

Edit: I got it now. I was including Crimea. You were including Kherson and Zap.
Right. Kyiv and Odesa will be if we keep this going.

ROFL.
Sam Lowry
FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

You already know my opinion. I'm asking what you would do. Short of committing American troops to a five or ten-year war with potentially hundreds of thousands killed (if we're lucky and it doesn't go nuclear), how are you going to win?

What we're doing now has no significant effect and isn't a strategy for victory. It's just a way of buying time. The question you need to ask yourself is, buying time for what?

You may find you don't like the answer.
Buying time for negotiated Peace that is NOT all Russia's way. This is going to end up with a buffer/DMZ. Ukraine has lost Dombas and Crimea. Ukraine will enter NATO and this is over.

That is the what. And I like it fine. It meets all the requirements and the DMZ keeps Poland and the Baltics happy. Done. Biden is the ******* that is keeping it going, Trump ends it in 3 months.
Russia would have to be in a much, much worse position before they'd even talk about Ukraine entering NATO. So that just brings us back to the question of how to get there.
Keep going obviously.
What does that mean? Another year of so-called stalemate? Escalation with NATO troops? Missile strikes on the Kremlin?

"Just keep doing something" isn't a plan.
Sure it is, you have to cause Putin enough pain to bring him to the table.
Which we're not doing, at least not on our terms. These attacks aren't changing anything on the battlefield. If they led to a major setback, or even any setback, that might be causing pain. Then you'd have some semblance of a strategy.

Putin is complaining about targets being hit in Russia and talking about peace, Putin is feeling pain.
He's made half a dozen offers, and each one is worse than the last. That is not a sign of feeling pain.

So, your position is that it is not only OK for Putin to invade a sovereign Nation, but no one can help the invaded Nation and cannot even provide them ammunition.

Should we wash his windshield too while at it? Maybe require Ukraine to only test fire into the sea with any US weapons? Your position is ludicrous.

We should help Ukraine as long as Ukraine needs help. That is what allies do.
My position is that it's past time to stop moralizing and start strategizing. Telling Russia "that's not okay" is, once again, not a strategy.

Supplying weapons, Intel and aid is a strategy.
No. It is not a strategy unless you can explain how it leads to victory.

You just don't agree with it. What military action guarantees victory? Especially if you are out manned?
It's not about guarantees. Supplying weapons, intel, and aid is a strategy in the same way that firing bullets is a strategy. How many bullets do you need to fire, and how many do you have available? How did you choose your targets, and what advantage will those particular targets give you? How will you exploit that advantage? Is there a serious plan to cripple Russia's oil production or destroy their ammo stockpiles? If so how far into Russian territory will you have to strike? How long will it take? What will happen to your troops in the mean time?

No one has a clue about any of this. They're just throwing **** at the wall and calling it a plan. And when it doesn't work, we'll be back to the question I keep asking. How far are you willing to go? Think, man.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

He's got a faulty premise that he cannot/will not drop, no matter how many times it has been pointed out to us. Providing weapons to a sovereign country is not an act of war.
You know very well that we're not just providing weapons.

Of course! We have had intel liaison since Ukrainian independence and likely a broad range of military training in and out of country. Plus observers.

That's what great powers do!
Everyone on both sides knows we're committing acts of war against Russia.
Not one time. Not one single act. No matter how hard you try......

The act of war was when Russia invaded Ukraine.
LOL
I agree that it is highly amusing you do not know what constitutes an act of war.
FLBear5630
How far am I willing to go? That is the wrong question, how far is Ukraine? I would go as far as they want to go at this level. It is not for us to tell them what to give up of their Nation. You have this Paternalistic, dare I say Colonial, view that you know what is best for poor backward Ukraine. I disagree, let them decide. They are the ones that have to defend their freedom, not us. We are doing less than the French did for the US.
FLBear5630
FLBear5630 said:

How far am I willing to go? That is the wrong question, how far is Ukraine? I would go as far as they want to go at this level. It is not for us to tell them what to give up of their Nation. You have this Paternalistic, dare I say Colonial, view that you know what is best for poor backward Ukraine. I disagree, let them decide. They are the ones that have to defend their freedom, not us. We are doing less than the French did for the US.

If Ukraine wants to settle, I am all for that too. It is up to them how far they want to go. I support the US honoring that. I do believe they should be in NATO and if allowed in when the Baltics, Romanians and Plans. If we had the guts to not half ass Budapest none of this happens.

Doc Holliday
What's the point of global western hegemony if the west is turning into an abusive anti Christian autocratic state that seeks to usurp the power of its citizens into the hands of banks and corporations?

It sucks that our politicians will bend over backwards for Ukraine, but they don't give a rats ass about their own taxpaying citizens. We have mass illegal immigration, out of control inflation, low buying power, media censorship and control, radical leftist cultural movement and the American dream completely dying.

Some of ya'll seem more concerned with Russia than realizing we have enemies at home that seek to destroy us.
sombear
Doc Holliday said:

What's the point of global western hegemony if the west is turning into an abusive anti Christian autocratic state that seeks to usurp the power of its citizens into the hands of banks and corporations?

It sucks that our politicians will bend over backwards for Ukraine, but they don't give a rats ass about their own taxpaying citizens. We have mass illegal immigration, out of control inflation, low buying power, media censorship and control, radical leftist cultural movement and the American dream completely dying.

Some of ya'll seem more concerned with Russia than realizing we have enemies at home that seek to destroy us.
Since I was a kid, I've been able to walk and chew gum at the same time
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

It will be NATO vs China at some point. I think it should consider expanding to Japan and S Korea. We learned in 1938 that isolationism is a thing of the passed.
Doc Holliday
FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

It will be NATO vs China at some point. I think it should consider expanding to Japan and S Korea. We learned in 1938 that isolationism is a thing of the passed.
If NATO or China wins, it ends with a giant government that's hell bent on turning this world into an anti Christian 1984-esque hellscape.
Doc Holliday
sombear said:

Doc Holliday said:

Since I was a kid this country has gone down the toilet.

We're spending $892 Billion in the current fiscal year on interest payments. This ends in catastrophe if we don't get our sh it together. Defeating Russia will mean nothing if we don't get our home in order.
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

If NATO or China wins, it ends with a giant government that's hell bent on turning this world into an anti Christian 1984-esque hellscape.

There is a third choice??? You think living with China dominating will be more for individual freedom than NATO/US???? The world you guys want hasn't existed since pre-civil war. You are not paring back the Fed to "Constitutional levels" and the US being isolationist. Best we do is keep is manage it and keep US top economic power. Give me NATO over Chinese anyway.
sombear
Doc Holliday said:

sombear said:

Doc Holliday said:

We're spending $892 Billion in the current fiscal year on interest payments. This ends in catastrophe if we don't get our sh it together. Defeating Russia will mean nothing if we don't get our home in order.
Agree, but if we don't reduce entitlements, cuts elsewhere also mean nothing.
FLBear5630
sombear said:

Doc Holliday said:

sombear said:

Doc Holliday said:

You are not making meaningful cuts to get out of this. You are not dealing with a 30 T debt knocking off 1-2% in Opsa year. The only answer is expand economy. Be more concerned with generating more revenue and less with trying to cut what 50% don't want you to cut.

That is the one aspect of the current mind set I agree, new markets, new tech, new resources (space, arctic, asteroid, moon). We will never deal with what you are worried about, by cutting and contracting.

Dems ****ed up implementation with fossil fuels. We need it all. Fossil, alternative, fission, fusion, etc... time to be aggressive, not retracting.
Doc Holliday
FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

There is a third choice??? You think living with China dominating will be more for individual freedom than NATO/US???? The world you guys want hasn't existed since pre-civil war. You are not paring back the Fed to "Constitutional levels" and the US being isolationist. Best we do is keep is manage it and keep US top economic power. Give me NATO over Chinese anyway.
I'm not saying to be isolationist or that stopping Russia isn't the right thing to do.

Congress is over here waving Ukrainian flags and simultaneously allowing 12 million illegals to pour in. The behavior of our politicians and bureaucracy is just as much of a threat against our way of life as Russia or China.

Does them bending over backwards for Ukraine while sh itt ing on us not piss you the hell off?! It makes my blood boil. What I'm asking is do you have the same concern against our own that you do against Russia?
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

I'm not saying to be isolationist or that stopping Russia isn't the right thing to do.

Congress is over here waving Ukrainian flags and simultaneously allowing 12 million illegals to pour in. The behavior of our politicians and bureaucracy is just as much of a threat against our way of life as Russia or China.

Does them bending over backwards for Ukraine while sh itt ing on us not piss you the hell off?! It makes my blood boil. What I'm asking is do you have the same concern against our own that you do against Russia?

The current Congress is horrible. No argument. If GOP doesn't F it up, should get a conservative House and Senate. Should be no excuses. I want Trump to go bold and take us to the next big economic jump through innovation and resource expansion. That is the way out. I want to Trump that saw the what future areas could he if he invested in one property. Use Govt investment to fuel next leap, like Interstate, Apollo, SDI etc...
sombear
FLBear5630 said:

sombear said:

Doc Holliday said:

sombear said:

Doc Holliday said:

You are not making meaningful cuts to get out of this. You are not dealing with a 30 T debt knocking off 1-2% in Opsa year. The only answer is expand economy. Be more concerned with generating more revenue and less with trying to cut what 50% don't want you to cut.

That is the one aspect of the current mind set I agree, new markets, new tech, new resources (space, arctic, asteroid, moon). We will never deal with what you are worried about, by cutting and contracting.

Dems ****ed up implementation with fossil fuels. We need it all. Fossil, alternative, fission, fusion, etc... time to be aggressive, not retracting.
If we're serious about the deficit, it requires both.

I have nothing good to say about Biden, but, despite his efforts, we're producing more oil than we ever have.

KaiBear
sombear said:

Doc Holliday said:

But your family didn't have to borrow billions of dollars to pay for your gum.
sombear
KaiBear said:

sombear said:

Doc Holliday said:

My gum budget took up more of my fun budget than Ukraine does for our national budget . . . . .
trey3216
Doc Holliday said:

I'd love to see a picture of the interior of your house to see about this 'low buying power'. C'mon! Show us how low the buying power of the American citizen is. What's your weekly grocery bill? How much do you spend/month on that family cell phone plan?

I'll take a quick guess and assume you have 2 or more vehicles at the house newer than 2018 as well.

Doc Holliday
trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

I'd love to see a picture of the interior of your house to see about this 'low buying power'. C'mon! Show us how low the buying power of the American citizen is. What's your weekly grocery bill? How much do you spend/month on that family cell phone plan?

I'll take a quick guess and assume you have 2 or more vehicles at the house newer than 2018 as well.
I'm in the 95th percentile of earners for my age, so comparing me to average or even above average isn't going to jive with the vast majority of workers.

People are going to have to live very minimalistic to be able to make ends meet and retire. That's also exactly what your response to me implies. Sure we can all live in trailer homes and live just above poverty and survive...but is that acceptable to you?
trey3216
Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

I'm in the 95th percentile of earners for my age, so comparing me to average or even above average isn't going to jive with the vast majority of workers.

People are going to have to live very minimalistic to be able to make ends meet and retire. That's also exactly what your response to me implies. Sure we can all live in trailer homes and live just above poverty and survive...but is that acceptable to you?
Not at all. People just have to be smart how they spend their money. Pay yourself first. Cash flow everything possible. Make assets pay for other assets. They don't need to be $3mm piles flowing cash to do fund everything. Small cash flows create small assets. Those assets create their own cash flows that help them grow to bigger assets. Start planning early and don't deviate. I'm not saying eat Ramen noodles and drive 1988 Camry's. I"m telling people to just be smart and work with someone who can help you implement a cash flow plan. Piling it into the best returning mutual fund ain't gonna do shlt for you if you can't access it

My response to you is that you whine and complain about things and can't relate to them at all. Even the lowest quartile of American wage earners lives a better life than about 95% of the people in the world.
Doc Holliday
trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Not at all. People just have to be smart how they spend their money. Pay yourself first. Cash flow everything possible. Make assets pay for other assets. They don't need to be $3mm piles flowing cash to do fund everything. Small cash flows create small assets. Those assets create their own cash flows that help them grow to bigger assets. Start planning early and don't deviate. I'm not saying eat Ramen noodles and drive 1988 Camry's. I"m telling people to just be smart and work with someone who can help you implement a cash flow plan. Piling it into the best returning mutual fund ain't gonna do shlt for you if you can't access it

My response to you is that you whine and complain about things and can't relate to them at all. Even the lowest quartile of American wage earners lives a better life than about 95% of the people in the world.
People aren't smart and they never will be. The average IQ in this country is 98...hell most people can't even understand a concept as simple as compound investing. On one hand that is genetics and humanity, on the other its our politicians/bureaucrats mismanaging education for decades.

I want to conserve our standard of living. The current trajectory for the past several decades is not sustainable and the math proves it...we can't continue down the path we're on forever.
ron.reagan
Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

People aren't smart and they never will be. The average IQ in this country is 98...hell most people can't even understand a concept as simple as compound investing. On one hand that is genetics and humanity, on the other its our politicians/bureaucrats mismanaging education for decades.

I want to conserve our standard of living. The current trajectory for the past several decades is not sustainable and the math proves it...we can't continue down the path we're on forever.
I tutored math for 8 years between HS and College and never met a person that couldn't understand such a basic concept. It seems like your inner circle is exceptionally stupid.
Doc Holliday
ron.reagan said:

Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

I tutored math for 8 years between HS and College and never met a person that couldn't understand such a basic concept. It seems like your inner circle is exceptionally stupid.
You can't extrapolate the entire nation's mental capabilities based on anecdotal evidence through tutoring. We're talking nationwide where math and reading comprehension is dismal. 2/3rds of American kids can't read fluently. Average IQ is low. IQ highly correlates with job type and abilities.

Do you believe the current trajectory of US spending is sustainable?

What even is your argument? That because I have it good and that other people could have it good that there's nothing to worry about?
KaiBear
sombear said:

KaiBear said:

sombear said:

Doc Holliday said:

My gum budget took up more of my fun budget than Ukraine does for our national budget . . . . .

100 BILLION we don't possess but have to borrow in order to give it away.

Yeah that's a rational business model.
trey3216
KaiBear said:

sombear said:

KaiBear said:

sombear said:

Doc Holliday said:

about 90%+ of which was money spent 20-30 years ago on the equipment going there.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
KaiBear
trey3216 said:

KaiBear said:

sombear said:

KaiBear said:

sombear said:

Doc Holliday said:

about 90%+ of which was money spent 20-30 years ago on the equipment going there.

30 years ago the US government barely acknowledged that Ukraine even existed at all.
sombear
KaiBear said:

sombear said:

KaiBear said:

sombear said:

Doc Holliday said:

I've posted more times than I can count, usually responding to Red, that I totally understand the argument that we cannot afford to send billions to Ukraine.

What I have never understood, however, is the argument that "we can't do __, but we can do __." Sorry, but that's a 1st grader argument.
ATL Bear
Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

America isn't, or wasn't, about being average. People used to focus on working harder to achieve. Today our culture seems to feel entitled to our privilege, and we've made a cottage industry about complaining about such. If we're honest, the enemy is us. It always happens to societies that reach an apex of success. In a nation with a massive skills and labor shortage, we've framed the enemy as illiterate brown people crossing the border. I'm all for dealing with illegal immigration, but if that's your competition, here's a bulletin. You aren't going to ever make much money unless you up your game.

We're hailing the gig economy that allows people to work 26 hours a week from their couch, but then lamenting why they can't afford a starter home. Just because you alter the work dynamic doesn't mean the income dynamic changes too. Let's stop trying to out Europe Europe.
FLBear5630
KaiBear said:

trey3216 said:

KaiBear said:

sombear said:

KaiBear said:

sombear said:

Doc Holliday said:

30 years ago the US government barely acknowledged that Ukraine even existed at all.

The screw up 30 years ago caused this issue. They should have been in NATO in the 90's.
KaiBear
sombear said:

KaiBear said:

sombear said:

KaiBear said:

sombear said:

Doc Holliday said:

I've posted more times than I can count, usually responding to Red, that I totally understand the argument that we cannot afford to send billions to Ukraine.

What I have never understood, however, is the argument that "we can't do __, but we can do __." Sorry, but that's a 1st grader argument.

I have never stated it was ok or even in the strategic interest of the US to give billions of dollars to Ukraine.
Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

There is a third choice??? You think living with China dominating will be more for individual freedom than NATO/US????

For the record... China is not going to be dominating anything on a global level in the future.

Its got lots of corruption issues (single party Communist rule), stagnating wages, and is in demographic free fall.

[China's total natural population dropped by more than 2 million in 2023, according to the latest Chinese statistics. The country recorded 9.0 million births and 11.1 million deaths. Births continued their precipitous post-2016 decline, now down by more than 50 percent in just eight years, while deaths ticked up marginally again. This chart shows trends in Chinese birth and death rates (per 1,000 capita) since 1985]

https://www.piie.com/research/piie-charts/2024/chinas-population-decline-getting-close-irreversible

India legitimacy has more of a chance of dominating in the future than does China.
Robert Wilson
Did anybody ever figure out why we are slap dicking around in the Ukraine?
trey3216
Robert Wilson said:

Did anybody ever figure out why we are slap dicking around in the Ukraine?
Did anyone ever figure out why Putin wanted to go on a 3 day Special Military Operation that involved launching multiple missiles into Children's Hospitals?
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
J.R.
Doc Holliday said:

that is just ill informed and dumb , but expect from a Maga.
First Page Last Page
Page 147 of 164

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.