Why Are We in Ukraine?

322,342 Views | 5859 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by whiterock
4th and Inches
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Has Ukraine won already ?

Millions of dead Russian troops.
The embargo reducing the Russian economy to that of Haiti.
Thousands of square miles of Russian territory occupied by Ukrainian soldiers.

Time to give another 100 billion dollars while the treasury still has enough ink left
Ninety percent of the money expended on Ukraine goes to American companies, primarily for arms.
which gets sent back to our congress people thru lobby work and campaign contributions and 100k per plate dinner party speeches
Adopt-a-Bear 2024

#90 COOPER LANZ ( DL )
CLASS Junior
HT/WT 6' 3", 288 lbs

#50 KAIAN ROBERTS-DAY ( DL )
CLASS Sophomore
HT/WT 6' 3", 273 lbs
Osodecentx
4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Time to give another 100 billion dollars while the treasury still has enough ink left
Ninety percent of the money expended on Ukraine goes to American companies, primarily for arms.
which gets sent back to our congress people thru lobby work and campaign contributions and 100k per plate dinner party speeches
Some of it. Probably.
Also gets back to American workers and companies
Redbrickbear
Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Some of it. Probably.

So the ole trickle down philosophy....but for endless government spending.

And we wonder how we got into Trillions of dollars into debt.

https://www.truthinaccounting.org/about/our_national_debt?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7OqrBhD9ARIsAK3UXh0MWMaPA_CitJM-nlxB-zkpFcKGPMIODBlGGeDlSjrT3Fk5d-7_NMQaAtE7EALw_wcB
Redbrickbear
Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Realitybites said:

Osodecentx said:

Russia Has Suffered Staggeringly High Losses, U.S. Report Says

I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Quote:

At the start of the war the Russian army stood at 360,000 troops. Russia has lost 315,000 of those troops

Nobody believes this outside the beltway.

I mean we have no reason to think the U.S. intelligence community would lie to the American people…right?

This was a sorry and embarrassing episode. Each of the people pictured lost credibility and should be ashamed.

That said, what number of Russian soldiers do you think have been killed or wounded? Who is your source? Please cite. Is it more credible than US intel?

I would try to find a sources that does not have a 100% interest in rooting on either side.

People say good things about the DPCR at Uppsala University in Sweden

[Ukrainian estimates of Russian military losses tended to be high, while Russian estimates of their own losses tended to be low. Combat deaths can be inferred from a variety of sources, including satellite imagery and video image of military actions. According to a researcher at the Department of Peace and Conflict Research at Uppsala University in Sweden, regarding Russian military losses, Ukraine engaged in a misinformation campaign to boost morale and Western media were generally happy to accept its claims, while Russia was downplaying its own casualties.]

https://www.uu.se/en/news/archive/2023-06-13-number-of-deaths-in-armed-conflicts-has-doubled

[Together, the wars in Ethiopia and Ukraine resulted in at least 180,000 battle-related deaths in 2022. This is a low estimate as information from these conflicts is scarce and subject to extensive propaganda. The numbers are likely to be significantly revised as more information becomes available. Even so, the data shows that more people died in those two conflicts in 2022 than in the whole world the year before.]
KaiBear
Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

What a relief !

Was worried all those billions were being wasted on US border security, our homeless, the mentally ill, reduction of our national debt and job creation.

trey3216
Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Some of it. Probably.

https://www.truthinaccounting.org/about/our_national_debt?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7OqrBhD9ARIsAK3UXh0MWMaPA_CitJM-nlxB-zkpFcKGPMIODBlGGeDlSjrT3Fk5d-7_NMQaAtE7EALw_wcB
I guess we should just gut every industry. I agree, there is bloat aplenty. But gut 'em all. See where we are then. Luckily, that'll break other countries faster than it'll break us (lookin' at you China).

The defense industry didn't get us into inescapable debt. That actually adds back to society via employment.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Redbrickbear
trey3216 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Some of it. Probably.

I guess we should just gut every industry.

How many of our industries rely completely on government spending?

If its more than a few limited sectors then the USA is starting to look more like the old USSR and less like a true free market system with a dynamic economy.

And if we are talking about military spending...I don't think people are against defense spending...they are just against foolish wasteful proxy wars that do very little for our own real defense.

We spent about $2.313 trillion on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan...for very little if any benefit.
Osodecentx
Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Realitybites said:

Osodecentx said:

Quote:

At the start of the war the Russian army stood at 360,000 troops. Russia has lost 315,000 of those troops

I mean we have no reason to think the U.S. intelligence community would lie to the American people…right?

This was a sorry and embarrassing episode. Each of the people pictured lost credibility and should be ashamed.

That said, what number of Russian soldiers do you think have been killed or wounded? Who is your source? Please cite. Is it more credible than US intel?

I would try to find a sources that does not have a 100% interest in rooting on either side.

[Ukrainian estimates of Russian military losses tended to be high, while Russian estimates of their own losses tended to be low. Combat deaths can be inferred from a variety of sources, including satellite imagery and video image of military actions. According to a researcher at the Department of Peace and Conflict Research at Uppsala University in Sweden, regarding Russian military losses, Ukraine engaged in a misinformation campaign to boost morale and Western media were generally happy to accept its claims, while Russia was downplaying its own casualties.]

https://www.uu.se/en/news/archive/2023-06-13-number-of-deaths-in-armed-conflicts-has-doubled

[Together, the wars in Ethiopia and Ukraine resulted in at least 180,000 battle-related deaths in 2022. This is a low estimate as information from these conflicts is scarce and subject to extensive propaganda. The numbers are likely to be significantly revised as more information becomes available. Even so, the data shows that more people died in those two conflicts in 2022 than in the whole world the year before.]
Universities never have an agenda.

I'll stick with the IC
Osodecentx
Redbrickbear said:

trey3216 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Some of it. Probably.

I guess we should just gut every industry.

How many of our industries rely completely on government spending? Uppsala University is state funded.

If its more than a few limited sectors then the USA is starting to look more like the old USSR and less like a true free market system with a dynamic economy.
I don't disagree with the second sentence. Would you purchase arms from the private sector or prefer a government agency?
Redbrickbear
Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Realitybites said:

Osodecentx said:

Quote:

I'll stick with the IC

You are sticking with US intelligence agencies....who just came out with these massive Russian death figures right as Congressional Republicans are asking why we should be funding this Ukraine proxy war.

Very convenient timing

"Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy made a last-ditch plea for more military aid to U.S. lawmakers on Capitol Hill, where he faced a skeptical reception from key Republicans"

Someone might almost think the US intelligence community was trying to selectively release info to put pressure on the Republicans in Congress.....

Info that we can't confim if its accurate or just more propaganda
Bear8084
Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Realitybites said:

Osodecentx said:

Quote:

I'll stick with the IC

As you should with this.
trey3216
Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Realitybites said:

Osodecentx said:

Quote:

I'll stick with the IC

You are sticking with US intelligence agencies....who just came out with these massive Russian death figures right as Congressional Republicans are asking why we should be funding this Ukraine proxy war.

Very convenient timing

"Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy made a last-ditch plea for more military aid to U.S. lawmakers on Capitol Hill, where he faced a skeptical reception from key Republicans"

Someone might almost think the US intelligence community was trying to selectively release info to put pressure on the Republicans in Congress.....

Info that we can't confim if its accurate or just more propaganda
I mean, they pretty much give those assessments on a quarterly basis and sometimes monthly…it just doesn't move the needles as much when Zelensky isn't here/congress isn't voting on shlt/etc.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
ATL Bear
$2 Trillion in direct transfer payments every year and the hill to die on is the defense industry? Good grief…
Redbrickbear
ATL Bear said:

$2 Trillion in direct transfer payments every year and the hill to die on is the defense industry? Good grief…

No one is dying on any hill and no spending (anywhere) is being cut from the bloated Federal government spending.

But we still as Americans citizens have the right to complain.

ATL Bear
Redbrickbear said:

ATL Bear said:

No one is dying on any hill and no spending (anywhere) is being cut from the bloated Federal government spending.

Your numbers need an update. An over $2.5 Trillion increase (70%) in 7 years. Feel free to complain all you want, I just prefer to focus on the elephant and not the dancing bear.

Redbrickbear
ATL Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

ATL Bear said:

Your numbers need an update. An over $2.5 Trillion increase (70%) in 7 years. Feel free to complain all you want, I just prefer to focus on the elephant and not the dancing bear.

So the spending is even more insane….

But God forbid we don't spend $200 billion more on a proxy war in Eastern Europe.

And to think there are people in DC still upset we pulled out of the trillion dollar boondoggles of Iraq and Afghanistan
ATL Bear
Redbrickbear said:

ATL Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

ATL Bear said:

So the spending is even more insane….

But God forbid we don't spend $200 billion more on a proxy war in Eastern Europe.

And to think there are people in DC still upset we pulled out of the trillion dollar boondoggles of Iraq and Afghanistan

Your concern seems more a political one than a fiscal one. You want insanity? Despite a 30% increase in defense spending dollars between 2015 (still in Afghanistan) and 2022, defense spending as a percentage of the federal budget actually went DOWN over that same period. In fact defense spending didn't even out pace revenue increases (defense spending up 30%, tax revenues up 50%).

You want an "industrial complex" to be questioning? Check out healthcare. Not only is their lobbying investment 5 (or more) times greater than the defense industry, healthcare is now the largest expenditure item across all government spending, and the one budget item that has consistently outpaced revenue growth. More than a third of all healthcare spending comes from the federal government.

https://www.cms.gov/data-research/statistics-trends-and-reports/national-health-expenditure-data/nhe-fact-sheet#:~:text=Prescription%20drug%20spending%20increased%208.4,the%206.8%25%20growth%20in%202021.
Realitybites
About that Ukrainian bridgehead (from the BBC)

""The entire river crossing is under constant fire. I've seen boats with my comrades on board just disappear into the water after being hit, lost forever to the Dnipro river."We must carry everything with us - generators, fuel and food. When you're setting up a bridgehead you need a lot of everything, but supplies weren't planned for this area."We thought after we made it there the enemy would flee and then we could calmly transport everything we needed, but it didn't turn out that way."When we arrived on the [eastern] bank, the enemy were waiting.They threw everything at us - artillery, mortars and flame thrower systems. I thought I'd never get out.""Every day we sat in the forest taking incoming fire. We were trapped - the roads and paths are all riddled with mines. The Russians cannot control everything, and we use it. But their drones are constantly buzzing in the air, ready to strike as soon as they see movement."Supplies were the weakest link. The Russians monitored our supply lines, so it became more difficult - there was a real lack of drinking water, despite our deliveries by boat and drone."We paid for a lot of our own kit - buying generators, power banks and warm clothes ourselves. Now the frosts are coming, things will only get worse - the real situation is being hushed up, so no-one will change anything."
Bear8084
Realitybites said:

""The entire river crossing is under constant fire. I've seen boats with my comrades on board just disappear into the water after being hit, lost forever to the Dnipro river."We must carry everything with us - generators, fuel and food. When you're setting up a bridgehead you need a lot of everything, but supplies weren't planned for this area."We thought after we made it there the enemy would flee and then we could calmly transport everything we needed, but it didn't turn out that way."When we arrived on the [eastern] bank, the enemy were waiting.They threw everything at us - artillery, mortars and flame thrower systems. I thought I'd never get out.""Every day we sat in the forest taking incoming fire. We were trapped - the roads and paths are all riddled with mines. The Russians cannot control everything, and we use it. But their drones are constantly buzzing in the air, ready to strike as soon as they see movement."Supplies were the weakest link. The Russians monitored our supply lines, so it became more difficult - there was a real lack of drinking water, despite our deliveries by boat and drone."We paid for a lot of our own kit - buying generators, power banks and warm clothes ourselves. Now the frosts are coming, things will only get worse - the real situation is being hushed up, so no-one will change anything."

About those VDV orcs trying to dislodge them:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/12/06/russia-formed-a-fifth-airborne-brigade-it-wasnt-ready-for-the-drone-and-artillery-apocalyse/?sh=a509ad13ad78

"Russia Formed A Fifth Airborne Division. It Wasn't Ready For The Drone and Artillery Apocalypse."
Doc Holliday
boognish_bear
Bear8084
boognish_bear said:

Finland is in NATO now due to Russian aggression. This is not super shocking.
KaiBear
boognish_bear said:

Unnecessarily provocative actions by Finland.

And in the past Finland has paid dearly for poking the bear.
quash
whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

not resurrecting it at all. Just noting the bloody flippin' obvious - that moving Russian armies 600mi closer to NATO armies increases risk of direct contact between Nato/Russia.

The obvious is that Russia considered NATO an existential threat and putting Ukraine in NATO upped the ante

Duh
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Sam Lowry
Realitybites said:

The good news is that thousands of additional Ukrainian troops will arrive at the Dnieper by springtime. The bad news is that they'll be coming from the east and they won't stop to say hello.
Bear8084
Sam Lowry said:

Realitybites said:

The good news is that thousands of additional Ukrainian troops will arrive at the Dnieper by springtime. The bad news is that they'll be coming from the east and they won't stop to say hello.

False, vatnik.
Redbrickbear
Bear8084
Redbrickbear
Bear8084 said:

Bear8084
Redbrickbear
Bear8084 said:

https://responsiblestatecraft.org/2022/09/02/diplomacy-watch-why-did-the-west-stop-a-peace-deal-in-ukraine/
Bear8084
https://www.businessinsider.com/israel-bennett-walks-back-claim-west-blocked-ukraine-russia-peace-deal-2023-2
Bear8084
https://www.thebulwark.com/no-the-united-states-and-its-allies-did-not-blow-up-a-ukraine-russia-peace-deal/
Redbrickbear

Bear8084
First Page Last Page
Page 46 of 168

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.