Why Are We in Ukraine?

237,172 Views | 5032 Replies | Last: 52 min ago by sombear
Realitybites
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sombear said:

As I've illustrated, very much similar in numerous ways that count. I'm still waiting on that list of major differences in name and practice.

Well, here's the most important one: under the Bolsheviks, the USSR martyred millions of Christians and destroyed around 43,000 churches. In modern Russia, Christianity is flourishing. All the other neocon excuses to support the Jewish dictator of Ukraine pale in comparison.
Redbrickbear
Realitybites said:

sombear said:

As I've illustrated, very much similar in numerous ways that count. I'm still waiting on that list of major differences in name and practice.

Well, here's the most important one: under the Bolsheviks, the USSR martyred millions of Christians and destroyed around 43,000 churches. In modern Russia, Christianity is flourishing.

He literally thinks the Orthodox Church under the Soviets had a similar relationship as the Orthodox Church under the Russian Federation

Realitybites
Redbrickbear said:

He literally thinks the Orthodox Church under the Soviets had a similar relationship as the Orthodox Church under the Russian Federation

People come up with all sorts of excuses to believe the things they want to believe.
trey3216
Realitybites said:

sombear said:

Well, here's the most important one: under the Bolsheviks, the USSR martyred millions of Christians and destroyed around 43,000 churches. In modern Russia, Christianity is flourishing. All the other neocon excuses to support the Jewish dictator of Ukraine pale in comparison.
If flourishing means the head of the Orthodox church goes on an approved government news site and claims volunteers for their war of expansion are reincarnating in order to lessen the fears of the populace, then sure, it's flourishing.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Redbrickbear
Realitybites said:

Redbrickbear said:

People come up with all sorts of excuses to believe the things they want to believe.

The desperation to try and tie the modern Russian Federation (nationalist and Orthodox) to the old USSR (internationalist, leftist, radically atheist) is just sad.

Even interventionist organs like the Atlantic Council or Foreign Affairs magazine will not make the argument that the USSR and the Russian Federation are the same.

Even if they will understandably make a connection between Putin himself (and his buddy ex-soviet stooges) and the old late stage USSR intelligence/security apparatus

https://www.cato.org/commentary/russia-not-soviet-union
[The bottom line is that Russia is a conventional, somewhat conservative, power, whereas the Soviet Union was a messianic, totalitarian power.]
Redbrickbear
trey3216 said:

Realitybites said:

sombear said:

If flourishing means the head of the Orthodox church goes on an approved government news site and claims volunteers for their war of expansion are reincarnating in order to lessen the fears of the populace, then sure, it's flourishing.

Well its certainly not flourishing in Russia or the West

[According to a January Pew Research Center survey, 29% of US adults are religiously unaffiliated...In 2023, research from the World Value Survey found that only 49% of Britons said they believed in God....academic sources estimating that 46-85% of Swedes are atheists. In 2016, a Gallup poll found that 18% of Swedes identified as atheists and 55% as non-religious.... As of 2021, approximately 42% of Germans are irreligious....Adding together those who are undecided, those who are spiritual but not religious, and those who are atheistic, as of a 2012 survey, 37.5% of Russians claim no particular religious affiliation.]

Its bad all over.

In Russia you have a Church under State capture that now celebrates war and excessive nationalism.

In the West in places like the UK or Sweden you have a Church under State capture that now celebrates sexual immorality and sodomy.

Its a bad situation everywhere you go unfortunately.

p.s.

Largest Episcopalian Cathedral in the USA (one of the largest in the world) celebrating something unworthy of celebration

Realitybites
trey3216 said:

the head of the Orthodox church goes on an approved government news site and claims volunteers for their war of expansion are reincarnating in order to lessen the fears of the populace, then sure, it's flourishing.

Or, you could read what he actually said:

"We know that today many are dying on the fields of internecine warfare. The Church prays that this war will end as soon as possible, that as few brothers as possible will kill each other in this fratricidal war. At the same time, the Church realizes that if someone, driven by a sense of duty, the need to fulfill an oath, remains faithful to his vocation and dies in the performance of military duty, then he undoubtedly commits an act tantamount to sacrifice. He sacrifices himself for others. Therefore, we believe that this sacrifice washes away all the sins that a person has committed."

Basically John 15:13.
Doc Holliday
Redbrickbear
Realitybites said:

trey3216 said:

the head of the Orthodox church goes on an approved government news site and claims volunteers for their war of expansion are reincarnating in order to lessen the fears of the populace, then sure, it's flourishing.

"We know that today many are dying on the fields of internecine warfare. The Church prays that this war will end as soon as possible, that as few brothers as possible will kill each other in this fratricidal war. At the same time, the Church realizes that if someone, driven by a sense of duty, the need to fulfill an oath, remains faithful to his vocation and dies in the performance of military duty, then he undoubtedly commits an act tantamount to sacrifice. He sacrifices himself for others. Therefore, we believe that this sacrifice washes away all the sins that a person has committed."

Trey is also a big fan of America's World War Two struggle.

Our own Churches jumped right into the war with both feet and blessed the mass bloodshed as necessary. (except for some of the smaller peace Churches & weirdo anabaptist hold outs)

[Involvement of the United States in a second World War came at the close of two decades during which American religious bodies had widely proclaimed that the church, as an institution, would "never bless another war." Resolutions adopted by church organizations during the months since Pearl Harbor indicate that the necessity of fighting the present war is accepted]

https://cqpress.sagepub.com/cqresearcher/report/churches-war-cqresrre1942072400

And it was not the first time Christian Churches in the USA jumped into supporting bloody war.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/05/21/how-abraham-lincoln-broke-the-barrier-between-church-and-state-00097707

[Lincoln believed that God had willed the Civil War, and, in time, the president would echo popular jeremiads that cast the suffering imposed on the nation as divine retribution for the sin of slavery. With Lincoln's active encouragement, the Northern churches mobilized in full force behind the war effort, firm in the belief that theirs was a holy writ. Breaking with decades of tradition that respected a wall between religion and politics, the largest evangelical churches engaged fully in politics, coming over the course of the war to champion not only the war effort, but particular policies (notably, abolition and total war) and, by 1864, the Republican Party]

Religious organizations will make justification for war no matter if they are in the USA, Britain, Russia or anywhere else.

And a small few will refuse to go along with the demands of the State.
Realitybites
Doc Holliday said:

Well, a little disappointed I didn't make it.

Tell Zelensky to...

Doc Holliday
Realitybites said:

Doc Holliday said:

Well, a little disappointed I didn't make it.

Tell Zelensky to...

Seems like everyone here doesn't care that Zelensky suspending elections because of war...I suppose that means they won't care if Biden did the same thing if we are in direct war.
Realitybites
Doc Holliday said:

Seems like everyone here doesn't care that Zelensky suspending elections because of war...I suppose that means they won't care if Biden did the same thing if we are in direct war.

I wouldn't be at all surprised it they did, either before the election to "postpone" it, or if the good guys somehow overcome their margin of cheating launch it in the two month period between election day and the inaugurtion.
Realitybites
Seig Heil!

Biden Regime Lifts Ban on Arming Ukraine's Neo-Nazi Azov Battallion

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2024/06/biden-regime-lifts-ban-arming-ukraines-neo-nazi/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=biden-regime-lifts-ban-arming-ukraines-neo-nazi
Redbrickbear
Realitybites said:

Seig Heil!

Biden Regime Lifts Ban on Arming Ukraine's Neo-Nazi Azov Battallion

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2024/06/biden-regime-lifts-ban-arming-ukraines-neo-nazi/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=biden-regime-lifts-ban-arming-ukraines-neo-nazi

It's actually a Brigade size unit now

I remember when the Liberal establishment in DC had a collective freak out when 500 right-wingers dared march in Charlottesville Virginia without guns (heck who I'm I kidding there are still freaking out about it 8 years later…endlessly talking about it still)

But they are completely fine with arming literal neo-Nazis

lol the hypocrisy of DC is almost comical

ATL Bear
Kirill was a state asset under the USSR and the church an instrument of the state. He remains one for the state today and the church an instrument as well.

The state owned the major industrial and energy assets under the USSR, doling out special positions to political powerbrokers and political allies. The state still owns the major industrial and energy assets, doling out wealth to political powerbrokers and political allies.

Party heads approved who could and couldn't run for positions in the government under the USSR. Party heads approve who can and can't run for positions in the government today.

The state owned the major media outlets under the USSR. The state owns the major media outlets in Russia today.

The list goes on, but as they say, the more things change, the more they stay the same.
whiterock
Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

How many pro-hamas/anti-us rallies do you attend a week?

You're the liberal internationalist on here…so you tell me.

I'm not interested in supporting either side of a Semitic blood fueled on the other side of the planet.

The only thing you could point out liberal about me was I hurt your Russian feelings

I only have American feelings there little guy

You should try putting America first for a change before some other foreign country like Ukraine or Israel
you should try not putting Russia first......

Name me one way I have ever "put Russia first"

Advocating for less wasteful spending and a more rational foreign policy is in the interest of America and the American people first and foremost
Russia invades Ukraine to subsume it in entirety? It's the natural order of things.
We send help to Ukraine? it's empire!

The Maidan protests weren't caused by Russian interference in Ukrainian politics (to reject an EU bill passed by the Ukrainian Parliament that he'd promised for years to sign). Oh no. It was caused by interference from Victoria Nuland.

Yanukovich signs an agreement with the political opposition to end the Maiden, then flees the country. the Ukrainian Parliament then formally removes him from office and forms an interim government followed by elections. You describe the whole thing as a CIA-led coup d'etat.

I could go on a bit. Russia can do no wrong in Ukraine, and we have a moral obligation to let them.

1. You assume the war is to "subsume" the entirely of Ukraine into Russia. For all we know its just a regime change operation to install a friendly government in Kyiv.

Not much different than the war DC waged in Iraq.

You don't see how to most countries in the world the actions of DC and Moscow seem very similar (invade who they want and over throw governments they don like)
The stated goal (see annexations) is to subsume parts of Ukraine. The obvious implicit goal, both from statements and actions, was to move the remnant of Ukraine toward Belarus status. And it is fairly obvious that Belarus is a client leaning toward return to Russian polity.

2. The Maidan protests of course had a native element to them (so do our own BLM protests) but the fact that you and others refuse to deal with the role of Victoria Nuland and the CIA/State Department in those protests just makes it seem like you don't want any criticism spoken of about ruling class. DC has spent billions on Ukraine to influence their internal political system (for good or bad)
Neither Nuland nor CIA organized unarmed crowds to fight police and paramilitary units for days. No evidence. There was no "leader" of that. Names please. What you completely ignore is that those leaderless crowds did not take power after Yanukovich fled. Nope. Yanukovich was removed and replaced by entirely constitutional processes.....by existing elected leadership in an interim unity coalition of elected parties. At literally every step of analysis, facts blow your presumption clean out of the water. There was no coup. There was no change in constitutional order. Just spontaneous riots when Yanukovich at the last minute (due to Russian meddling) refused to sign an EU bill passed by the Ukrainian parliament, a bill which had overwhelming public support, for years, a bill he'd made repeated promises to sign, in campaigns and in office.
It was RUSSIAN MEDDLING which caused the Maidan, not American meddling!

But no one ever said Russia was not active in Ukraine...hat is the whole point....Russia has always been there on the political level...its DC getting itself involved in the country that is new and outside our traditional area.
You keep issuing that platitude with studious indifference to the real world. We were involved at the breakup of the USSR, were we not? We were involved in the disposition of Ukranian nukes, were we not? We are a part of Nato, are we not? Ukraine is a strategic question for Nato, is it not? And on and on and on. Ukraine does not belong to Russia. It is a sovereign country recognized by the entire world.

3. I never said it was a completely thought up and executed CIA coup...Ukraine (like our own country was political-cultural divided) yet from the perspective of the ethic russians in the East of the country and the powers that be in Moscow that protest/coup in Kyiv was a massive seismic event in the internal politics of Ukraine.
Stop it with the motte & bailey. Your entire argument is premised on the idea that we orchestrated the Maidan. You say it just like you did above "the role of Nuland/CIA." Well, were their actions dispositive or not?

How many voters in the East of the country looked at what happened in Kyiv and said "well even when we vote our guy in they just use street thugs to throw him out"
about half. And Russia exploited that with little green men to destabilize the province, then invade it. Which of course, is our fault, according to you.

Example...lets say you were an average conservative American in flyover country and you watched as the BLM protesters drove Trump from power in summer of 2020 how would you feel? What if you then found out that the Chinese communists had been giving billions to Leftists NGOs and Leftists activist groups on the ground. What if Chinese politicians had flown into DC to give encouragement to the protestors? What if Chinese bureaucrats were seen on the streets handing out sweats?
The proper analog would be this: the MAGA movement drove Trump from power for NOT signing a bill that would fully fund the wall and build the infrastructure to conduct mass deportations like he promised, because the Mexico (controlled by drug cartels) paid him to balk at it. And then, after he left and RDS was sworn in and started actually building wall and deporting people, Mexico invaded to take New Mexico and Arizona. Yeah, the public would be pretty upset about that. People from all across the political spectrum would line up to go fight the Mexican Army and take back Arizona and New Mexico.

Would you come away from that bloody event thinking everything was on the up and up?
You are letting false premises lead you to sophomoric conclusions.

A governing majority of Ukrainians wanted to join the EU. That number has risen, thanks the the Russian invasion of their country. It is in our interest that Ukraine belong to EU rather than some notional Russian equivalent. it is in our interest that Russians not have any more military bases in Ukraine. it is in our interest that if Ukraine cannot be non-aligned, that it is aligned with us rather than Russia. All very simple, obvious facts......

Ukraine has fought Russia to remain independent many times. We are not obligated to stand by and let them lose this one just because they've lost others. We are in fact obligated to do what is good for us. And a Ukraine aligned with us is good for us. That getting to that point involves destroying tens of thousands of tanks and arty tubes and killing a generation of Russians?.....well that is tens of thousands of tanks and tubes and a generation of Russian soldiers that we no longer have to plan to destroy in central Europe. That we will have to help rebuild Ukrainian cities rather than Baltic cities, Polish cities, Romanian cities, etc......that is an entirely noble endeavor. It's why we engage in alliance. To deter, and if necessary defeat threats.

Realitybites
Quote:

We are in fact obligated to do what is good for us.

Indeed...and destroying the status of our currency as the global reserve, unleashing inflation, and destabilizing our own economy and society as the military-industrial complex and government-americans tilt at windmills for fun and profit does not fall into the category of "what is good for us."

Quote:

And a Ukraine aligned with us is good for us.

Ukraine's alignment is irrelevant. That "country" is literally nothing but a crossroads that grows grain. The only relevance Ukraine has to the world: (1) Continue to grow and export grain and do not destabilize the world food supply, (2) Do not act in such a way that you obstruct the flow of energy to Europe, thereby destabilizing the economies of the EU, (3) Do not act in such a way that you allow foreign military forces to approach the Russian border, risking a military response by Russia. That's it.

Aside from those three points, Ukraine is entirely irrelevant to the world. No one in the rest of the world cares if Ukraine is independent, a vassal state, about Bandera, none of it. As the saying goes "You had one job!" *Any* Ukraininan government has three, in the big picture.

In fact Ukraine, like Iraq, could be dissolved as a political entity and be subsumed into Hungary, Poland, Russia, and the world would be no worse for wear.

Quote:

That getting to that point involves destroying tens of thousands of tanks and arty tubes and killing a generation of Russians?.....well that is tens of thousands of tanks and tubes and a generation of Russian soldiers that we no longer have to plan to destroy in central Europe. That we will have to help rebuild Ukrainian cities rather than Baltic cities, Polish cities, Romanian cities, etc......that is an entirely noble endeavor.

Your entire view of foreign policy is a half century out of date. With the collapse of communism, nothing makes war with Russia inevitable. In fact, even communism didn't make war with Russia inevitable. Kennedy successfully navigated the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Bear8084
Realitybites said:

Quote:

Indeed...and destroying the status of our currency as the global reserve, unleashing inflation, and destabilizing our own economy and society as the military-industrial complex and government-americans tilt at windmills for fun and profit does not fall into the category of "what is good for us."

Quote:

Ukraine's alignment is irrelevant. That "country" is literally nothing but a crossroads that grows grain. The only relevance Ukraine has to the world: (1) Continue to grow and export grain and do not destabilize the world food supply, (2) Do not act in such a way that you obstruct the flow of energy to Europe, thereby destabilizing the economies of the EU, (3) Do not act in such a way that you allow foreign military forces to approach the Russian border, risking a military response by Russia. That's it.

Aside from those three points, Ukraine is entirely irrelevant to the world. No one in the rest of the world cares if Ukraine is independent, a vassal state, about Bandera, none of it. As the saying goes "You had one job!" *Any* Ukraininan government has three, in the big picture.

In fact Ukraine, like Iraq, could be dissolved as a political entity and be subsumed into Hungary, Poland, Russia, and the world would be no worse for wear.

Quote:

That getting to that point involves destroying tens of thousands of tanks and arty tubes and killing a generation of Russians?.....well that is tens of thousands of tanks and tubes and a generation of Russian soldiers that we no longer have to plan to destroy in central Europe. That we will have to help rebuild Ukrainian cities rather than Baltic cities, Polish cities, Romanian cities, etc......that is an entirely noble endeavor.

Your entire view of foreign policy is a half century out of date. With the collapse of communism, nothing makes war with Russia inevitable. In fact, even communism didn't make war with Russia inevitable. Kennedy successfully navigated the Cuban Missile Crisis.

More Russian BS. Vatnik gonna vatnik.
whiterock
Realitybites said:

Quote:

That is an impressive number of false statement sin a single sentence.
-The Russian Army is no windmill.
-Neither the Ruble nor the Yuan is going to replace the dollar.
-Our spending on Ukraine is a couple of percentage points of the overall deficit

Quote:

to that list you should add production of Urkainian oil/gas which is of critical importance to Europe, as it would greatly reduce the need for Russian oil/gas. And critical minerals for use in steel production, fertilizer production, etc......(did you know Ukraine is the world's largest producer of potash?....are you paying more for food yet? Nuland/CIA/Nato did not cause that. Ukraine did not cause that. RUSSIA DID when it invaded Ukraine. But most important of all is the issue you left off: 4) do not allow Russian armies to encamp on Nato borders. That's a pretty big frickin' deal.

Quote:

Kennedy also CAUSED the Cuban missile crisis (for which my then US Army Reserve father was mobilized).
your foreign policy views are a few sacks of concrete short of inchoate
whiterock
Bear8084 said:

Realitybites said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

More Russian BS. Vatnik gonna vatnik.
He's rather more like this:
sombear
Redbrickbear said:

Realitybites said:

sombear said:

Well, here's the most important one: under the Bolsheviks, the USSR martyred millions of Christians and destroyed around 43,000 churches. In modern Russia, Christianity is flourishing.

We have our back and forth, which I enjoy, but you're usually honest. You know this is not what I said. We had multiple exchanges on this very topic. What I said, which really is not controversial except evidently in this thread, is that (1) for most of the Soviet empire, the treatment of ROC and its members was nowhere near as bad in practice as it was on paper, (2) the relationship between the state and church improved dramatically starting in the 70s, and (3) there were about as many ROC members then as now.
trey3216
Realitybites said:

trey3216 said:

Or you could watch the video I posted a few weeks back to which I was referring.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/1d35gt7/the_russian_orthodox_church_has_announced_that/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button
Redbrickbear
sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Realitybites said:

sombear said:

We have our back and forth, which I enjoy, but you're usually honest. You know this is not what I said. We had multiple exchanges on this very topic. What I said, which really is not controversial except evidently in this thread, is that (1) for most of the Soviet empire, the treatment of ROC and its members was nowhere near as bad in practice as it was on paper, (2) the relationship between the state and church improved dramatically starting in the 70s, and (3) there were about as many ROC members then as now.

"improvements" in treatment during the 70s and 80s does not change the basic point. That the USSR and Russ Fed. had very different relationships of the Orthodox Church

And you and ATL still continue to try and make a connection between the RCC under the Soviet system and the RCC under the Russian Federation.

I am willing to concede on issues like corruption and being resource dependence the USSR and Russ Fed. have some similarities.

On the Orthodox Church its not the same at all...

Under Lenin & the early Bolsheviks the Church was put through one of the great persecutions of all time. 40,000- 50,000 church buildings destroyed, thousands of Priests and Bishops killed, its money, land, and relics stolen, etc.

[The Soviet government viewed the ROC as part of the former political order and a rival to its ideological system and sanctioned the destruction of churches and the arrest and execution of clerics. By 1939, only about 200 churches remained open out of the 46,000 that existed before the Russian Revolution.]

After Khrushchev an official stance of mild toleration was enacted. But the Soviet system still controlled the Church and was more interested in spying on the organization than supporting it.

The Soviet system never became a supporter of the Church or renounced its program of State supported atheism

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0002716286483001012

Since the beginning of the new Russ. Federation its been a different story.

[Under Communism, the Church was a threat to the state as a body closely associated with power structures, a rival ideology and capable of inspiring the affection and support of a large proportion of the Russian population. Putin, however, is on record as seeing that attitude as a mistake on the part of the USSR. The Church, for Putin, has a significant and powerful value in forging a strong Russian state. Under Putin, the Church and nationalism are increasingly closely united. The Church serves a powerful role in supporting Putin's true political ideology his identity as a gosudarstvennik or 'Statist'. The "Russian Idea" as described by Putin in his socalled 'Millennium Message', delivered in 1999 and still seen as the core of his political model, includes patriotism, collectivism, solidarity and derzhavnost (destiny). Religion, even were Putin not religious himself, has a very clear and obvious instrumental value in meeting those goals.

This instrumental use of the Church has been seen on a number of occasions both internally and, increasingly, externally. Internally, Putin has done much to encourage and support the growth of the Church and to restrain the proselytising activities of other religious bodies (Jehovah's Witnesses and Pentecostal groups have found it very difficult to be registered as an official belief group in Russia, and are portrayed as a security threat to the Russian state). Under Putin's watch, icons and church bells that were sold or smuggled out of Russia under Communism have been restored, churches have been built or rebuilt (and particularly the vast Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Moscow) with oligarchs and local businesses strongly encouraged (even allegedly coerced) into funding the work.]

https://www.theosthinktank.co.uk/comment/2022/02/16/essay-on-vladimir-putin
Redbrickbear
whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

I'm not interested in supporting either side of a Semitic blood fueled on the other side of the planet.

The only thing you could point out liberal about me was I hurt your Russian feelings

You should try putting America first for a change before some other foreign country like Ukraine or Israel

Advocating for less wasteful spending and a more rational foreign policy is in the interest of America and the American people first and foremost
Russia invades Ukraine to subsume it in entirety? It's the natural order of things.

The Maidan protests weren't caused by Russian interference in Ukrainian politics (to reject an EU bill passed by the Ukrainian Parliament that he'd promised for years to sign). Oh no. It was caused by interference from Victoria Nuland.

Yanukovich signs an agreement with the political opposition to end the Maiden, then flees the country. the Ukrainian Parliament then formally removes him from office and forms an interim government followed by elections. You describe the whole thing as a CIA-led coup d'etat.

I could go on a bit. Russia can do no wrong in Ukraine, and we have a moral obligation to let them.

1. You assume the war is to "subsume" the entirely of Ukraine into Russia. For all we know its just a regime change operation to install a friendly government in Kyiv.

You don't see how to most countries in the world the actions of DC and Moscow seem very similar (invade who they want and over throw governments they don like)
The stated goal (see annexations) is to subsume parts of Ukraine. The obvious implicit goal, both from statements and actions, was to move the remnant of Ukraine toward Belarus status. And it is fairly obvious that Belarus is a client leaning toward return to Russian polity.

2. The Maidan protests of course had a native element to them (so do our own BLM protests) but the fact that you and others refuse to deal with the role of Victoria Nuland and the CIA/State Department in those protests just makes it seem like you don't want any criticism spoken of about ruling class. DC has spent billions on Ukraine to influence their internal political system (for good or bad)
Neither Nuland nor CIA organized unarmed crowds to fight police and paramilitary units for days. No evidence. There was no "leader" of that. Names please. What you completely ignore is that those leaderless crowds did not take power after Yanukovich fled. Nope. Yanukovich was removed and replaced by entirely constitutional processes.....by existing elected leadership in an interim unity coalition of elected parties. At literally every step of analysis, facts blow your presumption clean out of the water. There was no coup. There was no change in constitutional order. Just spontaneous riots when Yanukovich at the last minute (due to Russian meddling) refused to sign an EU bill passed by the Ukrainian parliament, a bill which had overwhelming public support, for years, a bill he'd made repeated promises to sign, in campaigns and in office.

But no one ever said Russia was not active in Ukraine...hat is the whole point....Russia has always been there on the political level...its DC getting itself involved in the country that is new and outside our traditional area.
You keep issuing that platitude with studious indifference to the real world. We were involved at the breakup of the USSR, were we not? We were involved in the disposition of Ukranian nukes, were we not? We are a part of Nato, are we not? Ukraine is a strategic question for Nato, is it not? And on and on and on. Ukraine does not belong to Russia. It is a sovereign country recognized by the entire world.

3. I never said it was a completely thought up and executed CIA coup...Ukraine (like our own country was political-cultural divided) yet from the perspective of the ethic russians in the East of the country and the powers that be in Moscow that protest/coup in Kyiv was a massive seismic event in the internal politics of Ukraine.
Stop it with the motte & bailey. Your entire argument is premised on the idea that we orchestrated the Maidan. You say it just like you did above "the role of Nuland/CIA." Well, were their actions dispositive or not?

How many voters in the East of the country looked at what happened in Kyiv and said "well even when we vote our guy in they just use street thugs to throw him out"
about half. And Russia exploited that with little green men to destabilize the province, then invade it. Which of course, is our fault, according to you.

Example...lets say you were an average conservative American in flyover country and you watched as the BLM protesters drove Trump from power in summer of 2020 how would you feel? What if you then found out that the Chinese communists had been giving billions to Leftists NGOs and Leftists activist groups on the ground. What if Chinese politicians had flown into DC to give encouragement to the protestors? What if Chinese bureaucrats were seen on the streets handing out sweats?
The proper analog would be this: the MAGA movement drove Trump from power for NOT signing a bill that would fully fund the wall and build the infrastructure to conduct mass deportations like he promised, because the Mexico (controlled by drug cartels) paid him to balk at it. And then, after he left and RDS was sworn in and started actually building wall and deporting people, Mexico invaded to take New Mexico and Arizona. Yeah, the public would be pretty upset about that. People from all across the political spectrum would line up to go fight the Mexican Army and take back Arizona and New Mexico.

Would you come away from that bloody event thinking everything was on the up and up?

A governing majority of Ukrainians wanted to join the EU. That number has risen, thanks the the Russian invasion of their country. It is in our interest that Ukraine belong to EU rather than some notional Russian equivalent. it is in our interest that Russians not have any more military bases in Ukraine. it is in our interest that if Ukraine cannot be non-aligned, that it is aligned with us rather than Russia. All very simple, obvious facts......

Ukraine has fought Russia to remain independent many times. We are not obligated to stand by and let them lose this one just because they've lost others. We are in fact obligated to do what is good for us. And a Ukraine aligned with us is good for us. That getting to that point involves destroying tens of thousands of tanks and arty tubes and killing a generation of Russians?.....well that is tens of thousands of tanks and tubes and a generation of Russian soldiers that we no longer have to plan to destroy in central Europe. That we will have to help rebuild Ukrainian cities rather than Baltic cities, Polish cities, Romanian cities, etc......that is an entirely noble endeavor. It's why we engage in alliance. To deter, and if necessary defeat threats.

And we are not obligated to get involved.

Also its reasonable to believe that most Ukrainians in the central and western parts of the country have now become even MORE pro-Western in their views since the invasion.

But also reasonable to believe that the eastern part of the country (Donbas & Crimea) have become MORE pro-Moscow in its orientation since the war

In a sane world a UN monitored partition of the country along lines that are reasonable to the voters would be on the table. (we did it in Serbia with Kosovo)

Kyvi can't control the 20% of the east that wants out of Ukraine. Russian can't absorb the 80% of the rest of Ukraine that wants to be with the USA-EU

Redbrickbear
ATL Bear said:

Kirill was a state asset under the USSR and the church an instrument of the state. He remains one for the state today and the church an instrument as well.

The state owned the major industrial and energy assets under the USSR, doling out special positions to political powerbrokers and political allies. The state still owns the major industrial and energy assets, doling out wealth to political powerbrokers and political allies.

Party heads approved who could and couldn't run for positions in the government under the USSR. Party heads approve who can and can't run for positions in the government today.

The state owned the major media outlets under the USSR. The state owns the major media outlets in Russia today.

The list goes on, but as they say, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

When even the most aggressively anti-Putin and anti-Russian newspapers and commentators are not making the argument that the USSR and Russ. Federation are the same you should probably drop the losing argument.

1. No would could run for office in the USSR and not be a member of the Communist party. It was a totalitarian system

In the modern Russ Federation there are other parties in the State Duma even if United Russia has the lions share. Its autocratic not totalitarian

[The political system of the Soviet Union took place in a federal single-party soviet socialist republic framework which was characterized by the superior role of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (CPSU), the only party permitted by the Constitution.]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Duma

2. Despite the similarity in corruption the economic system was drastically different under the USSR and Russ. Fed

[As a socialist state, the Soviet Union did not include open markets. The Soviet Union was a command economy, in which economic decisions were made by the state and not left to the market to decide. During the Soviet era, for example, industrial production was planned by the central government. The government would decide what would be produced, where it would be produced, the quantity produced, the number of workers who would produce it, where the raw materials would come from, and how the final product would be distributed. By mobilizing the entire country to work toward common goals, the USSR was able to achieve the rapid industrialization that it so desired. However, the Soviets underestimated the power and efficiency of free-enterprise capitalism, and their socialist system was undermined by waste, fraud, and corruption.

Another main economic feature of the Soviet Union was collectivized agriculture. The Soviet leaders did not want individual, capitalist farmers to become rich and threaten their economic system. Nor did they want thousands of small, inefficient farms when the country was perpetually unable to feed itself. Instead, they decided to streamline agricultural production into large farm factories. All the farmland in each area was consolidated into a government-owned collective operation....Collectivized agriculture remained the norm in the Soviet Union until the country's dissolution in 1991...

A Russian style of capitalism replaced the social, political, and economic system of the Communist era with a growing market economy. The export of Russia's vast quantities of natural resources, such as oil, natural gas, and timber, to Europe and the rest of the world helped the country rebound from the economic collapse of the 1990s. Russia has benefited from the recent increase in energy prices, and oil, natural gas, metals, and timber account for more than 80 percent of exports and 30 percent of government revenues..]

[Wealth, once controlled by the political/party elite, was now being shifted to the business elite, a pattern found in most capitalist countries]

https://open.lib.umn.edu/worldgeography/chapter/3-2-the-ussr-and-the-russian-federation/

[One obvious difference between the Soviet Union and Russia is that the Soviet governing elite embraced Marxism-Leninism and its objective of world revolution. Today's Russia is not a messianic power. Its economic system is a rather mundane variety of corrupt crony capitalism, not rigid state socialism. The political system is a conservative autocracy with aspects of a rigged democracy, not a one party dictatorship that brooks no dissent whatsoever.
Russia is hardly a Western style democracy, but neither is it a continuation of the Soviet Union's horrifically brutal totalitarianism. Indeed, the country's political and social philosophy is quite different from that of its predecessor. For example, the Orthodox Church had no meaningful influence during the Soviet era something that was unsurprising, given communism's official policy of atheism. But today, the Orthodox Church has a considerable influence in Putin's Russia, especially on social issues.
The bottom line is that Russia is a conventional, somewhat conservative, power, whereas the Soviet Union was a messianic, totalitarian power. That's a rather large and significant difference, and U.S. policy needs to reflect that realization.]

Doc Holliday
whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

This 'good guys vs. bad guys' bs has got to stop. Its all bad guys.

We're not fighting to keep Ukraine independent. We're fighting to own them.

You have to fight for peace so the bankers can make $$ on the bombs and then loans to the country for the rebuild, and when they cant pay the debt, the bankers take the REAL ASSETS. Same playbook has been used for centuries. Warriors and fighters are being eliminated, resistance to the western machine is being culled on all fronts.

If Russia owns them, then oligarchs run the show, and there's a VERY TINY chance they are more powerful and become a marginally larger threat to Europe.

If the west owns them, we flood their country with anti Judeo-Christian immigrants and spread our woke dogma just like we've done all over Europe for quite some time now.

Lets just skip to the end and set aside $5 trillion, get directly involved in this war, avoid peace and spread the woke gospel as the American people continue to be wage slaves battling money printing to make this all possible.
trey3216
Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

You have to fight for peace so the bankers can make $$ on the bombs and then loans to the country for the rebuild, and when they cant pay the debt, the bankers take the REAL ASSETS. Same playbook has been used for centuries. Warriors and fighters are being eliminated, resistance to the western machine is being culled on all fronts.

If Russia owns them, then oligarchs run the show, and there's a VERY TINY chance they are more powerful and become a marginally larger threat to Europe.

If the west owns them, we flood their country with anti Judeo-Christian immigrants and spread our woke dogma just like we've done all over Europe for quite some time now.

Lets just skip to the end and set aside $5 trillion, get directly involved in this war, avoid peace and spread the woke gospel as the American people continue to be wage slaves battling money printing to make this all possible.
Redbrickbear
trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

You can be assured that Western financial elite are not interested in Ukraine as a vacation spot

And if Western elites have been willing to food the US-Canada-UK- and other European states with vast numbers of 3rd world immigrants I'm not sure why it would give them pause to do it to Ukraine.

You think they would not bring in Africans and MENA migrants given the demographic implosion Ukraine is going through?

sombear
Hilarious: "conventional, somewhat conservative . . ."

Meantime:

Closest allies: North Korea, China, Cuba, Venezuela, Iran
Elections: Kill or jail your opponents no matter where they are. "Rewrite" constitution to keep dictator Putin (note: not future presidents) in power.
Economy: Government still controls, just in different ways. While not socialist in the traditional sense, to most of the population it is worse, as gov benefits are less. And Russia supports socialist/communist movements.
Freedom of speech in name only.
Mass state corruption.
State-controlled media.
Surveillance state.
No due process.
Nominal judicial independence.
Major restrictions on non-ROC churches.
Redbrickbear
sombear said:

Meantime

Take it up with the CATO institute…a non MAGA outfit …that unlike you has actual experts on the subject matter and did real research on the issue

"Conservative" is also how they define the difference between the messianic USSR bent on world Marxist revolution and the modern Russian Federation that is not interested in such radical world revolution.

Conservative in this case does not mean non-Authoritarian or Constitutional-Democratic

Redbrickbear
sombear said:

Meantime:

Closest allies: North Korea, China, Cuba, Venezuela, Iran

If you really wanted to be smart about it you would follow the lead of the Media and NGO think tanks in DC and give up on the USSR comparisons (that don't work)

And instead focus on the line of argument that the new Russian Federation under Putin is dangerous because its hyper nationalistic, corrupt, and expansionist

A different type of threat than the old USSR

As the Tampa times article here does….

"Muh modern Russia is the Soviet Union" is a dog that just won't hunt

Realitybites
sombea said:

Elections: Kill or jail your opponents no matter where they are.
Economy: Government still controls, just in different ways. While not socialist in the traditional sense, to most of the population it is worse, as gov benefits are less.
Freedom of speech in name only.
Mass state corruption.
State-controlled media.
Surveillance state.
No due process.
Nominal judicial independence.

I'm not sure why you're trying to interject our state of affairs domestically here in the US into this discussion, since we're talking about Ukraine and avoiding (or starting) WW3.
Redbrickbear
ATL Bear
Redbrickbear said:

ATL Bear said:

When even the most aggressively anti-Putin and anti-Russian newspapers and commentators are not making the argument that the USSR and Russ. Federation are the same you should probably drop the losing argument.

1. No would could run for office in the USSR and not be a member of the Communist party. It was a totalitarian system

In the modern Russ Federation there are other parties in the State Duma even if United Russia has the lions share. Its autocratic not totalitarian

[The political system of the Soviet Union took place in a federal single-party soviet socialist republic framework which was characterized by the superior role of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (CPSU), the only party permitted by the Constitution.]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Duma

2. Despite the similarity in corruption the economic system was drastically different under the USSR and Russ. Fed

[As a socialist state, the Soviet Union did not include open markets. The Soviet Union was a command economy, in which economic decisions were made by the state and not left to the market to decide. During the Soviet era, for example, industrial production was planned by the central government. The government would decide what would be produced, where it would be produced, the quantity produced, the number of workers who would produce it, where the raw materials would come from, and how the final product would be distributed. By mobilizing the entire country to work toward common goals, the USSR was able to achieve the rapid industrialization that it so desired. However, the Soviets underestimated the power and efficiency of free-enterprise capitalism, and their socialist system was undermined by waste, fraud, and corruption.

Another main economic feature of the Soviet Union was collectivized agriculture. The Soviet leaders did not want individual, capitalist farmers to become rich and threaten their economic system. Nor did they want thousands of small, inefficient farms when the country was perpetually unable to feed itself. Instead, they decided to streamline agricultural production into large farm factories. All the farmland in each area was consolidated into a government-owned collective operation....Collectivized agriculture remained the norm in the Soviet Union until the country's dissolution in 1991...

A Russian style of capitalism replaced the social, political, and economic system of the Communist era with a growing market economy. The export of Russia's vast quantities of natural resources, such as oil, natural gas, and timber, to Europe and the rest of the world helped the country rebound from the economic collapse of the 1990s. Russia has benefited from the recent increase in energy prices, and oil, natural gas, metals, and timber account for more than 80 percent of exports and 30 percent of government revenues..]

[Wealth, once controlled by the political/party elite, was now being shifted to the business elite, a pattern found in most capitalist countries]

https://open.lib.umn.edu/worldgeography/chapter/3-2-the-ussr-and-the-russian-federation/

[One obvious difference between the Soviet Union and Russia is that the Soviet governing elite embraced Marxism-Leninism and its objective of world revolution. Today's Russia is not a messianic power. Its economic system is a rather mundane variety of corrupt crony capitalism, not rigid state socialism. The political system is a conservative autocracy with aspects of a rigged democracy, not a one party dictatorship that brooks no dissent whatsoever.
Russia is hardly a Western style democracy, but neither is it a continuation of the Soviet Union's horrifically brutal totalitarianism. Indeed, the country's political and social philosophy is quite different from that of its predecessor. For example, the Orthodox Church had no meaningful influence during the Soviet era something that was unsurprising, given communism's official policy of atheism. But today, the Orthodox Church has a considerable influence in Putin's Russia, especially on social issues.
The bottom line is that Russia is a conventional, somewhat conservative, power, whereas the Soviet Union was a messianic, totalitarian power. That's a rather large and significant difference, and U.S. policy needs to reflect that realization.]

The guy that wrote the Cato article was fired by them for being a Russian shill. True story.

To your points, it doesn't require an identical match to see the continued autocratic similarities in all aspects. Let's have the intelligence of nuance and not absurd rigidity. For example, state sponsored socialism and political crony capitalism share many of the same traits. Both Russia and China took their control economies and incorporated global markets, but still consolidated back to central/political ownership. China just did a better job of minimizing gross corruption in it.

Even the Communist Party had wings and sub parties. That's usually why the transitions were tough for the losers. They controlled candidates then, and they control candidates now.

Just because they dropped their Marxist dogma and traded it for a different autocratic frame, doesn't mean the operation of power economically, politically, and socially changed tremendously.

So as I said, the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Redbrickbear
Speaking of the Soviets and the Orthodox Church…

So many architectural and religious works of art destroyed

First Page Last Page
Page 134 of 144

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.