Can We Have a Serious, Objective Discussion About Kamala Harris?

21,730 Views | 443 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by Jacques Strap
Midnight Rider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's try to have a serious, objective discussion without the tribalism and conspiracy theories that are so prevalent on this board.

From my viewpoint, as one who leans Democratic but has never, ever been a fan of Joe Biden, what Kamala Harris has accomplished in the last three days has been nothing short of amazing. I am talking about the money she has raised, about garnering the support of enough delegates to become the presumptive nominee. and about now leading Trump in one of the most recent polls. All this in three days time. Like her or not, she is off to a great start.

As for her VP pick, it seems to be coming down to either Mark Kelly or Josh Shapiro. Either would be a solid pick, but Shapiro, being Jewish, might be considered too much pro-Israel in the current political environment.

Can we have a serious, objective discussion?
Forest Bueller_bf
It is absolutely amazing what the pragmatic democratic machine has done for her.

They have decided no drama, this is who we are going with, their pragmatism at keeping power,
far exceeds their desire to get the best candidate possible thru an internal war that would fragment
the democratic party, and tear them apart.

This is a smart move, it will shore up any black female defection, it will go well with the far left branch of the
party while still keeping the more moderate democrats in the fold.

Shapiro might be a risk, but he would shore up Penn. and play well with other rust belt states.

If anything we can see clearly the democrat machine will win by any means necessary.

They will weigh carefully if Shapiro will help more than hurt.

Imho he will help more with the rust belt than he will hurt with the far left in the party, they have already given the far left Harris, they need to throw the rust belt a bone to shore up several states.

I am thinking Shapiro is the man.

But, make no mistake about it. This is about the democratic machine, not Harris. We have seen what kind of candidate she is if she has to stand on her own merit. Not a good one. With the full force of the machine behind her she will be formidable.

Good grief the machine pulled Biden over the finish line in 2020. He basically was a no-show. If they can achieve that with him, Harris is much better than that.

In 2016 they had possibly the least likeable person I have ever seen within a whisker of the presidency.

That is how powerful the machine is.
Doc Holliday
Lets look at her background:

- She sucked her way up the ladder of power.
- Put people in prison for no reason.
- She's not well spoken or personable.
- She was supposed to be a border czar and allowed 12+ million illegals to enter.
- She's a champion of identity politics.

She's more coherent than Joe and doesn't have Parkinson's. She will use her younger age against Trump...despite media circling wagons to say Joe's age wasn't an issue.

In polling aggregate she's lower than Joe, even at his worst. The "excitement" behind her is being astroturfed.

If elected, we'd get an onslaught of idpol agendas, no border control, continued economic struggles and I don't see her handling war issues well.
Jack Bauer
Her main task as VP was Border Czar...do I have to continue?
whitetrash
As far as fundraising "accomplishments", Biden's debate debacle caused a 3 week long bout of fundraising constipation. Kamala was like downing an entire package of Ex-Lax at one sitting, so for the next 36 hours there was a deluge of financial fecal explosion.

Average out the $$$ raised from 6/27 to 7/22 and it's probably within norms.
Bestweekeverr
I think it will be very interesting to see how this plays out, very cool and also scary to see history being made.

As an independent, here is my best attempt at an objective look at the situation:

If Kamala were not the VP then I don't think she would be the choice, as I do not think she is very popular in the Democratic party or the nation in general. However, her being the VP presents as the safest choice when it comes to optics when it comes to selecting a choice that had been voted upon being on the Joe Biden ticket and the procedural successor.

I think Dems were desperate to get a new candidate, and even though Kamala isn't especially likeable she has brought fresh life and hope to the Dems leading to huge amounts of money raised. After the debate Biden simply had no shot of winning that was clear to everyone.

I think Reps are rightfully worried of the switch as now their main attack point on Biden (age, mental decline) can now be used against them. If Abortion is a huge factor in this election as it was in the midterms than Kamala will get that advantage for the Dems and gather more of the female vote than Biden would have.

I think Shapiro would be her best VP pick to help shore up Pennsylvania, and would do well of rounding out her weaknesses of moderate independents. Roy Cooper of North Carolina would also be a good pick. Whitmer is a no go, I don't think you can run an all female ticket this election.

It will be interesting to see if she can successfully navigate aligning herself with the positives of the Biden presidency while distancing herself from the negatives.
Jack Bauer
Can the media be honest???

Jack Bauer
Harrison Bergeron
Genuinely, I do not think it is a reaction to Brown but a reaction against Trump and Biden. The Democrats are just energized by not having that old corrupt, rac/pist fool on the ballot. Let's not forget she did not get a single delegate in 2020 and calling her an incompetent VP is really unfair to incompetent. But Democrats do not care for anything but power, so they would vote for anyone with a "D" by his name.
Jack Bauer
"it never happened..."

LIB,MR BEARS
Midnight Rider said:

Let's try to have a serious, objective discussion without the tribalism and conspiracy theories that are so prevalent on this board.

From my viewpoint, as one who leans Democratic but has never, ever been a fan of Joe Biden, what Kamala Harris has accomplished in the last three days has been nothing short of amazing. I am talking about the money she has raised, about garnering the support of enough delegates to become the presumptive nominee. and about now leading Trump in one of the most recent polls. All this in three days time. Like her or not, she is off to a great start.

As for her VP pick, it seems to be coming down to either Mark Kelly or Josh Shapiro. Either would be a solid pick, but Shapiro, being Jewish, might be considered too much pro-Israel in the current political environment.

This is as serious as I can get discussing any democrat
LIB,MR BEARS
Midnight Rider said:

donations for Joe had dried up. Nobody knew who the donations would be going to so there was something of a backup. She gets named and the money flowed. It would have happened to any name they threw out
Frank Galvin
As VP how was Kamala supposed to stop the flow of illegal/undocumented?

She failed to accomplish an impossible task.
LIB,MR BEARS
Border czar, failure

Set up a bail fund for rioters in 2020

CNN: Harris' voting record in the Senate is certainly one of the most liberal

What more do I need to know?
Frank Galvin
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Border czar, failure

That her opponent is unfit to hold the office.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Frank Galvin said:

If I'm not mistaken, she has never even visited the Southern border. She has not even made the effort. Is it apathy or incompetence? Neither option is good.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
GrowlTowel
How can you have a serious conversation about a non-serious person?
GrowlTowel
Frank Galvin said:

She didn't even try, which is the point.
whitetrash
Frank Galvin said:

Just like with Willie Brown, she had one job and she blew it.
KaiBear
Frank Galvin said:

Yes, as VP and a forceful member of Biden's administration…..she had no more influence than a gal working part time at Starbucks.

Yet Obama and Trump miraculously accomplished this 'impossible task'.

Guess they were just lucky.

GrowlTowel
Frank Galvin said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Border czar, failure

That didn't stop you from voting for Dementia and it won't stop you from voting for Giggles, so what is your point?
LIB,MR BEARS
Frank Galvin said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Border czar, failure

that unfit individual had
record low Hispanic unemployment precovid

record low black unemployment precovid

increased US petroleum production

released a huge number of nonviolent
offenders

peaceful Middle East during his term

Putin held in check during his term

Iran held in check during his term

I'm all for more of this type of unfit leadership
LIB,MR BEARS
KaiBear said:

Frank Galvin said:

Yes, as VP and a forceful member of Biden's administration…..she had no more influence than a gal working part time at Baskin-Robins

Yet Obama and Trump miraculously accomplished this 'impossible task'.

Guess they were just lucky.

FIFY
fubar
Democrats nominating Harris isn't about some nefarious "machine" that will do anything to win. It's classic realpolitik.

First, there simply isn't enough time to contest the nomination. We're less than four months from election day, and less than four weeks to the convention. It takes time to build support and, for that matter, simple name recognition. It also takes time to ...

,,, raise money. Biden/Harris 2024 was doing quite well on that front until the debate. Harris now controls those $$$ (she's the only one outside of Joe who could), giving her a huge head start over any other contender.

Given the time and money problems, any Dem with an eye to the White House would do best to keep her/his powder dry until the next go-round. Harris is the party's best chance to win now, but let's get real: She ain't winning in November. If you're a Dem the next four years are going to suck, but there's nothing a prospective candidate can do now to avoid that. And you won't have to wait eight years while Harris campaigns for re-election.

Realpolitik.
drahthaar
The sad reality is that Trump might be "unfit" for office, but he is less "unfit" than Harris.
Forest Bueller_bf
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Frank Galvin said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Border czar, failure

that unfit individual had
record low Hispanic unemployment precovid

record low black unemployment precovid

increased US petroleum production

released a huge number of nonviolent
offenders

peaceful Middle East during his term

Putin held in check during his term

Iran held in check during his term

I'm all for more of this type of unfit leadership

Yep,

Interest rates were low,
fuel prices low.
food prices too.
parch
Doc Holliday said:

- She was supposed to be a border czar and allowed 12+ million illegals to enter.

She's more coherent than Joe and doesn't have Parkinson's. She will use her younger age against Trump...despite media circling wagons to say Joe's age wasn't an issue.

In polling aggregate she's lower than Joe, even at his worst. The "excitement" behind her is being astroturfed.

If elected, we'd get an onslaught of idpol agendas, no border control, continued economic struggles and I don't see her handling war issues well.
I thought this was supposed to be objective.

She's never been a "border czar."

"Put people in prison for no reason" is an interesting way to put it. As the ranking state attorney, she didn't put anyone anywhere. She made several bad calls on follow-up investigations, which she has been (and should be) held to account for, but to paint it as if she was some rogue attorney throwing innocent people behind bars willy nilly is not accurate and not even her role. There are four mistaken innocence cases I'm aware of that she fumbled.

The rest is subjective, including how she handles wars, border control and economic agenda. There is no way to know any of that based on fact. And the gross ladder of power comment does not deserve rebuttal or serious thought.

Harris, like all candidates, is imperfect and has political skeletons. I would say on balance in relation to past (and present) candidates, her skeletons are relatively minute, which is what has Trump's corner scrambling for talking points at the moment.
whitetrash
parch said:

Doc Holliday said:

"Put people in prison for no reason" is an interesting way to put it. As the ranking state attorney, she didn't put anyone anywhere. She made several bad calls on follow-up investigations, which she has been (and should be) held to account for, but to paint it as if she was some rogue attorney throwing innocent people behind bars willy nilly is not accurate and not even her role. There are four mistaken innocence cases I'm aware of that she fumbled.

The rest is subjective, including how she handles wars, border control and economic agenda. There is no way to know any of that based on fact. And the gross ladder of power comment does not deserve rebuttal or serious thought.

Harris, like all candidates, is imperfect and has political skeletons. I would say on balance in relation to past (and present) candidates, her skeletons are relatively minute, which is what has Trump's corner scrambling for talking points at the moment.
When your only qualifications for advancement that don't involve a golf ball and a garden hose are your level of skin pigment and your inability to urinate while standing, there are fewer opportunities for skeletons to develop themselves.
KaiBear
fubar said:

Harris is the party's best chance to win now, but let's get real: She ain't winning in November. If you're a Dem the next four years are going to suck, but there's nothing a prospective candidate can do now to avoid that.

Governor of Michigan or Pennsylvania was the Dem's best shot.

But most likely one of them will be selected for VP so they can still be of help.

Harris is a disaster, both intellectually and emotionally.
Dem policies are a disaster ; both economically and culturally.

But 90% of the national media is in your camp. Voter harvesting is still a thing . Mail in balloting and no voter ID requirements will produce magic .

Harris will carry Michigan , Pennsylvania, Georgia and Arizona to victory.

Her total vote count will exceed Joe Biden's 81 million votes by any amount necessary.

Enjoy your 'win'.

Harrison Bergeron
Frank Galvin said:

Thank you for agreeing she's unfit for office.
TrojanMoondoggie
The reality of the situation is the Dems had no choice but to go with her. They stepped in it from the get go by playing the DEI card. And they knew, with this person in particular, she was not qualified. To pull her from the ticket is to have to admit this. They played it fast and loose with not only their constituency, but every other legal voter in this country. Had something happened to JB, and we knew he wasn't in the best of shape when he was running, the most powerful position in the world would have been left in her hands?

Talk about the joke heard 'round the world. She has already made some serious silliness of herself on the world stage. I'm sure they have to prep her like no one who has ever crossed the threshold of the White House.

I know, cue the DT comments now. But the fact is, he was already president for four years. He may not have been to everyone's liking but he got things done. His accomplishments have already been cited here.

Now did the world think DT was a joke? Probably. But they also think JB is a joke too. Just for a different reason. And KH? Insert an eye roll. That's all I can give her.

She could still win. She's got everyone rallying around her.

But again, it's because they don't have a choice; it isn't because she is qualified. The only way she wins is because of who she is running against. So it's in DT's hands as to how he wants to play this. If he keeps his cool, and can get her to go off script, she'll fall back to the giggles, and jokes, and nervousness, and the rather banal "quotes" she likes to throw out there.

The fact is, she has nothing to run on. Her time as senator got nothing passed. And as someone pointed out, her primary appearance was an embarrassment. Tulsi ripped her a new one, and she only got 3% of the California vote.

Everyone knows how she got to where she's at here in California. And while there may be some women who have historically used that as a stepping stone to something greater, and have been successful when they got there, this one isn't one of those women. This lady has fallen upward.

DT needs to tone it down. I know his brazenness is what people love about him. But he still has to tone down the personal insults. I'm not sure he can do it. If he can though he should be able to defeat her. The numbers are already in his favor.

I heard one pundit say that she is going to come at him like nobody's business. She'll do what she tried to do to JB. She'll pull the race card on him. The sexist card. You name it. She did it to the dude who chose her as his VP, a fellow Dem. Stand back and get ready. Because going after him will be the order of every day. Her supporters will have to do the same thing for her that they did for GN in Californian when they came out to "support" him during the recall. There was little to nothing they could say on his behalf, so all they could do was go after the opposition. It will be the same with her. Because she really hasn't done anything. And as many have pointed out here already, she's not especially likable, or smooth.

This will be about the Independents, and those centrists sitting on the fence. DT already has his base, and will most likely get a good percentage of the Republicans. In light of what the alternative is. The Dems will vote for her, even though they will have to hold their noses while they do it. It will be up to the rest to swing one direction, or the other.

Harrison Bergeron
parch said:

Doc Holliday said:

The gaslighting begins ... "fact check" would make Orwell blush.

https://easttexasradio.com/vice-president-coming-to-texas-friday-06-25/

VP Kamala Harris

Vice President Kamala Harris, named "border czar" three months ago, is making her first trip to the southwest border. El Paso State Senator Cesar Blanco is excited about the visit to his district today. It's unclear if the Vice President will meet with Governor Abbott, who issued a disaster declaration to combat the surge in illegal immigrants and drug trafficking."
parch
Harrison Bergeron said:

parch said:

Doc Holliday said:

VP Kamala Harris

Vice President Kamala Harris, named "border czar" three months ago, is making her first trip to the southwest border. El Paso State Senator Cesar Blanco is excited about the visit to his district today. It's unclear if the Vice President will meet with Governor Abbott, who issued a disaster declaration to combat the surge in illegal immigrants and drug trafficking."

You're quoting "East Texas Radio" as a source here? If you want to dispute PolitiFact's sourced, factual assessments, please do. I'll be waiting.

Harris was tasked with exploring and addressing factors that lead to mass northward migration in the first place at the root, one of the many useless errand-boy tasks VPs are set to to make it seem like they're busy. It was a diplomatic branch offered to El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. She had no role in border enforcement, border policy, or any border issues at all. Biden kept those isolated within Homeland Security's remit, where they always are.

One of Biden's many mistakes, which Obama did not make when he issued VP Biden with a similar task, was outlining her actual KPIs in this. When Biden was given this task as VP, he secured a $700 million funding package intended to beef up Central American border security, law enforcement, prison reform and support. The outcome of that is a discussion point, but there was an outcome.

Harris was not given any similar task. She was just sent on a diplomatic mission to Central America in summer 2021, told migrants not to come to the US and left. She had no authority or tasking to do anything else. I think that's a failure of Biden's, but to somehow pin this inane "border czar" tag on Harris is disingenuous in the extreme and just a nonsense political football.
GrowlTowel
parch said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

parch said:

Doc Holliday said:

VP Kamala Harris

You're quoting "East Texas Radio" as a source here?

Harris was tasked with exploring and addressing factors that lead to mass northward migration in the first place at the root, one of the many useless errand-boy tasks VPs are set to to make it seem like they're busy. It was a diplomatic branch offered to El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. She had no role in border enforcement, border policy, or any border issues at all. Biden kept those isolated within Homeland Security's remit, where they always are.

One of Biden's many mistakes, which Obama did not make when he issued VP Biden with a similar task, was outlining her actual KPIs in this. When Biden was given this task as VP, he secured a $700 million funding package intended to beef up Central American border security, law enforcement, prison reform and support. The outcome of that is a discussion point, but there was an outcome.

Harris was not given any similar task. She was just sent on a diplomatic mission to Central America in summer 2021, told migrants not to come to the US and left. She had no authority or tasking to do anything else. I think that's a failure of Biden's, but to somehow pin this inane "border czar" tag on Harris is disingenuous in the extreme and just a nonsense political football.

When you cut and paste the left's talking points, which for this came out last night, please include the link.
Doc Holliday
parch said:

Doc Holliday said:

Politifact debunked itself and uses faulty logic:

"I've asked her … to lead our efforts with Mexico and the Northern Triangle and the countries that help are going to need help in stemming the movement of so many folks, stemming the migration to our southern border," Biden said in March 2021.
They stated "her role is addressing the factors that make people leave their home countries, not managing the border".

Not managing the border is the reason people leave their home countries.

She's publicly said she's not going to treat people who illegally cross the border as criminals. That alone is all I need to know that she has no intentions of handling the border.

She was the Cali AG from 2011-2016 and in that time frame number of admissions to California state prisons for marijuana and hashish was 1,974. That was on her watch and within her power to undo.

I'm basing it on her 2020 campaign:

During her previous presidential campaign, then candidate Harris told members of an Iowa roundtable that the corporate tax rate has "got to" be increased. Some sources are citing intentions of increasing it to as high as 35%.

Another policy she proposed was to "get rid of Trump's 2017 tax cuts immediately". What will this do?Raise tax brackets by ~4%, lower child tax credits, remove 199A deduction, lower estate exemptions.

She also previously proposed to give people a monthly tax credit of $500 for people earning less than $100,000 as part of the policy known as "LIFT the Middle Class Act". This would have cost an estimated $3 trillion over 10 years. Not only would it cost a lot of money, but it could also increase inflation and discourage people from working.

I also think that she will adopt similar tax changes as Biden.
From the individual side, things like:

- Increase tax on long term capital gains
- Increase top individual tax rate
- Increase NIIT and Medicare to 5%

Trump isn't scrambling to attack Harris, he can attack her on what she's publicly said. If her proposals are in line with her party, her past statements and during Biden's presidency then that equates to bad economic conditions for the middle class.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.