Trump Plans National Emergency to Build Border Wall

23,420 Views | 231 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jack and DP
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tommie said:

Trump is banking on otherwise good dudes making an excuse and justifying his actions for politics.

We are 48 hours away from many here telling us how right this wrong is. Or telling us, "yeah, but".
I was going to agree with you and add it would be some Trumper saying Obama did it first.

But the Obama first justification beat me to it.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
syme
Obama declared 9 emergencies in his first 6 years. There's been 53 "states of emergency" since 1976.

Exactly what precedent is Trump setting?
Edmond Bear
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Edmond Bear said:

Lying no longer matters and these repubs will always say the end justifies the means. The majority of American voters voted against the wall candidate but that doesnt matter.

True. But, you could replace Repubs with Dems and it would also be true.

Yes, except for the majority of voters part.

If they only voted against Trump because of the wall, your argument would make sense. But, I suspect there were other reasons people voted.
Waco1947
Mr President do not enact a National Emergency for an unnecessary wall. It is beyond our democratic principles. It's smacks of dictatorship.
Sir, you lie continually to us. I do not believe in your crisis. Stop scaring and dividing us.
Doc Holliday
Waco1947 said:

Mr President do not enact a National Emergency for an unnecessary wall. It is beyond our democratic principles. It's smacks of dictatorship.
Sir, you lie continually to us. I do not believe in your crisis. Stop scaring and dividing us.
Me and my generation will be personally disenfranchised by massive illegal immigration.

It seems you do not care for people like me.
DioNoZeus
Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Me and my generation will be personally disenfranchised by massive illegal immigration.

Both of these statements are gross exaggerations and perfectly illustrate what is wrong with the political discourse in this country.
Doc Holliday
DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Both of these statements are gross exaggerations and perfectly illustrate what is wrong with the political discourse in this country.
Oh really? Because spending $150 billion a year on 22 million people and growing isn't playing with fire?

This is a real problem. Are you saying I should not be concerned?
DioNoZeus
Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Oh really? Because spending $150 billion a year on 22 million people and growing isn't playing with fire?
Of course it's a problem. But you're being hyperbolic. Please explain to me how you will be "personally disenfranchised" by "massive illegal immigration."
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
I am not convinced Trump signs the spending bill. Yes, there are a few land mines that may be deal breakers. One is the restriction of NOT being able to build on federal land and the other to do with sponsors of "unaccompanied" minors being exempt from deportation. These two things are a big deal.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Doc Holliday
DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Please explain to me how you will be "personally disenfranchised" by "massive illegal immigration."
When the supply of workers goes up, the price that firms have to pay to hire workers goes down. Wage trends over the past half-century suggest that a 10 percent increase in the number of workers with a particular set of skills probably lowers the wage of that group by at least 3 percent. Even after the economy has fully adjusted, those skill groups that received the most immigrants will still offer lower pay relative to those that received fewer immigrants.

Both low- and high-skilled natives are affected by the influx of immigrants. But because a disproportionate percentage of immigrants have few skills, it is low-skilled American workers, including many blacks and Hispanics, who have suffered most from this wage dip. The monetary loss is sizable. The typical high school dropout earns about $25,000 annually. According to census data, immigrants admitted in the past two decades lacking a high school diploma have increased the size of the low-skilled workforce by roughly 25 percent. As a result, the earnings of this particularly vulnerable group dropped by between $800 and $1,500 each year.

So yes. My children will be effected.

Somebody's lower wage is always somebody else's higher profit. In this case, immigration redistributes wealth from those who compete with immigrants to those who use immigrants from the employee to the employer. And the additional profits are so large that the economic pie accruing to all natives actually grows. I estimate the current "immigration surplus"the net increase in the total wealth of the native population to be about$50 billion annually. But behind that calculation is a much larger shift from one group of Americans to another: The total wealth redistribution from the native losers to the native winners is enormous, roughly a half-trillion dollars a year. Immigrants, too, gain substantially; their total earnings far exceed what their income would have been had they not migrated.

When we look at the overall value of immigration, there's one more complicating factor: Immigrants receive government assistance at higher rates than natives. The higher cost of all the services provided to immigrants and the lower taxes they pay (because they have lower earnings) inevitably implies that on a year-to-year basis immigration creates a fiscal hole of at least $50 billion a burden that falls on the native population.

What does it all add up to? The fiscal burden offsets the gain from the $50 billion immigration surplus, so it's not too far fetched to conclude that immigration has barely affected the total wealth of natives at all. Instead, it has changed how the pie is split, with the losers the workers who compete with immigrants, many of those being low-skilled Americans sending a roughly $500 billion check annually to the winners. Those winners are primarily their employers. And the immigrants themselves come out ahead, too. Put bluntly, immigration turns out to be just another income redistribution program.
PartyBear
Trump just said a week ago the state of the union was strong. Now he says we are in a crisis and national emergency under his watch. This would ironically result in a reduction in defense spending. Which contradicts why he is saying we are in a crisis under him. That is from where he wants to take the money for the wall in his crisis. That said the national emergency power will likely last maybe 24 hours or less before it is shut down. Then you are left with Trump having done nothing but claim the US has gone into dystopia under him. So not good politics either.
DioNoZeus
Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Please explain to me how you will be "personally disenfranchised" by "massive illegal immigration."
When the supply of workers goes up, the price that firms have to pay to hire workers goes down. Wage trends over the past half-century suggest that a 10 percent increase in the number of workers with a particular set of skills probably lowers the wage of that group by at least 3 percent. Even after the economy has fully adjusted, those skill groups that received the most immigrants will still offer lower pay relative to those that received fewer immigrants.

Both low- and high-skilled natives are affected by the influx of immigrants. But because a disproportionate percentage of immigrants have few skills, it is low-skilled American workers, including many blacks and Hispanics, who have suffered most from this wage dip. The monetary loss is sizable. The typical high school dropout earns about $25,000 annually. According to census data, immigrants admitted in the past two decades lacking a high school diploma have increased the size of the low-skilled workforce by roughly 25 percent. As a result, the earnings of this particularly vulnerable group dropped by between $800 and $1,500 each year.

Somebody's lower wage is always somebody else's higher profit. In this case, immigration redistributes wealth from those who compete with immigrants to those who use immigrants from the employee to the employer. And the additional profits are so large that the economic pie accruing to all natives actually grows. I estimate the current "immigration surplus"the net increase in the total wealth of the native population to be about$50 billion annually. But behind that calculation is a much larger shift from one group of Americans to another: The total wealth redistribution from the native losers to the native winners is enormous, roughly a half-trillion dollars a year. Immigrants, too, gain substantially; their total earnings far exceed what their income would have been had they not migrated.

When we look at the overall value of immigration, there's one more complicating factor: Immigrants receive government assistance at higher rates than natives. The higher cost of all the services provided to immigrants and the lower taxes they pay (because they have lower earnings) inevitably implies that on a year-to-year basis immigration creates a fiscal hole of at least $50 billion a burden that falls on the native population.

What does it all add up to? The fiscal burden offsets the gain from the $50 billion immigration surplus, so it's not too far fetched to conclude that immigration has barely affected the total wealth of natives at all. Instead, it has changed how the pie is split, with the losers the workers who compete with immigrants, many of those being low-skilled Americans sending a roughly $500 billion check annually to the winners. Those winners are primarily their employers. And the immigrants themselves come out ahead, too. Put bluntly, immigration turns out to be just another income redistribution program.
What jobs do you think people who are crossing our southern border illegally are taking?
Doc Holliday
DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

What jobs do you think people who are crossing our southern border illegally are taking?
That is your response to this? Wow.

Did you even read it?

Highlighted in bold for you.
DioNoZeus
Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Did you even read it?
Yes. I'm trying to see how you're being "personally disenfranchised." Are you a low skilled worker competing for the same jobs?
Doc Holliday
DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Did you even read it?
Yes. I'm trying to see how you're being "personally disenfranchised." Are you a low skilled worker competing for the same jobs?
My children will be low skilled workers from age 16 to probably 22 or so and by the time they are that age the population of illegal immigration given 2000+ per day will be:

2000 x 365 = 730,000 new illegal immigrants per year.
So another 11,680,000 illegal immigrants by the time my children are going to need to work.

There will be virtually zero low skilled jobs IMO available for the native population.

It effects me and millions of native low skilled workers. Not everyone is capable of high skills.
DioNoZeus
Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Did you even read it?
My children will be low skilled workers from age 16 to probably 22 or so and by the time they are that age the population of illegal immigration given 2000+ per day will be:

So another 11,680,000 illegal immigrants by the time my children are going to need to work.

There will be virtually zero low skilled jobs IMO available for the native population.

It effects me and millions of native low skilled workers. Not everyone is capable of high skills.
Immigrants (both legal and illegal) come to this country for opportunity. Our population is aging and retiring while the birth rate in this country is declining, which is leading to an increasing number of jobs our citizens cannot fill. We will need an increasing number of immigrants to fill the void. Rather than demonizing these people, we should be welcoming them and making it easier for them to get work visas to come to work when the jobs are available, making it easier to keep track of the people who are entering and leaving the country.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/03/08/immigration-projected-to-drive-growth-in-u-s-working-age-population-through-at-least-2035/

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/immigration/news/2017/05/11/431974/immigrant-workers-important-filling-growing-occupations/
ValhallaBear
DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Did you even read it?

Immigrants (both legal and illegal) come to this country for opportunity. Our population is aging and retiring while the birth rate in this country is declining, which is leading to an increasing number of jobs our citizens cannot fill. We will need an increasing number of immigrants to fill the void. Rather than demonizing these people, we should be welcoming them and making it easier for them to get work visas to come to work when the jobs are available, making it easier to keep track of the people who are entering and leaving the country.
A completely erroneous leftist talking point and economically illiterate

We have plenty of people to fill the jobs. The fact that the immigrant labor is willing to work for third world wages in a first world economy drives the price of labor down where it is unsustainable for normal Americans. These immigrants send the money back home to their families in the third world which equates to a 6 figure job
Doc Holliday
DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Did you even read it?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/03/08/immigration-projected-to-drive-growth-in-u-s-working-age-population-through-at-least-2035/

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/immigration/news/2017/05/11/431974/immigrant-workers-important-filling-growing-occupations/
I'm not demonizing them. There are several cartel and MS-13 members that come through, but the majority of illegal immigrants want a better life and they're likely good people.

My stance is about enforcing the current laws and costs to the taxpayer in America which under principle is wholly unfair and wrong. We can't spend $70k per illegal at over 2000 per day while homeless limbless veterans are starving.

I've made a pretty damn good case that we need high quality immigrant which will benefit everyone.

This entire issue is probably not what you think it is
Read up on how both parties are making money by perpetuating it:

https://sicem365.com/forums/7/topics/37116

DioNoZeus
Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Did you even read it?

I'm not demonizing them. There are several cartel and MS-13 members that come through, but the majority of illegal immigrants want a better life and they're likely good people.

My stance is about enforcing the current laws and costs to the taxpayer in America which under principle is wholly unfair and wrong. We can't spend $70k per illegal at over 2000 per day while homeless limbless veterans are starving.

I've made a pretty damn good case that we need high quality immigrant which will benefit everyone.

The bolded is a ridiculous statement. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Also, chuckle at your source...the conservative treehouse.com
YoakDaddy
DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

I don't see it as taking jobs because honestly all of the wets I've come into contact with are hired, low skill hands, but what the wets do is burden government systems such as education, criminal justice, and healthcare. When I've got to go armed to a ranch where there's a drop off point for wets, their drugs, and their women/children not 20 yards from the gate and the county sheriff does nothing but ignore to as to push them through to another county so he doesn't have to deal with it, there's a massive problem.
Doc Holliday
DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Did you even read it?

The bolded is a ridiculous statement. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Also, chuckle at your source...the conservative treehouse.com
They both have to do with who and what we spend money on.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
My grandchildren are probably the same age as your children. I have no doubt they will be able to find jobs, go to college and compete in the job market.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
DioNoZeus
YoakDaddy said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

I don't see it as taking jobs because honestly all of the wets I've come into contact with are hired, low skill hands, but what the wets do is burden government systems such as education, criminal justice, and healthcare. When I've got to go armed to a ranch where there's a drop off point for wets, their drugs, and their women/children not 20 yards from the gate and the county sheriff does nothing but ignore to as to push them through to another county so he doesn't have to deal with it, there's a massive problem.
I agree with this statement (other than calling them wets). Clearly we need to keep track of who is entering this country.
DioNoZeus

My grandchildren are probably the same age as your children. I have no doubt they will be able to find jobs, go to college and compete in the job market.
This
Edmond Bear
Waco1947 said:

Just curious, did you post the same thing when Obama declared national emergencies for things that were not related to the US? Did Obama's national emergencies to help situations in Yemen, Burundi, and Central African Republic smack of dictatorship.

I don't remember your posts on these. It was wrong when Obama did it and it's wrong when Trump does it. When you are dishonest or so one sided, all of your other arguments have the scent of dishonesty.
HuMcK
Testament to how little Trump respects his supporters' intellect, from "45 year low" to declaring national emergencies in 1 year.
PartyBear
Trump is a damn idiot. In his declaration of national emergency he claims there isn't really an emergency. He just wants to build the wall faster. He is trying to get his declaration blocked by this afternoon apparently.
GoneGirl

Canada2017
tommie said:

Canada2017 said:

YoakDaddy said:

I'm a Trump supporter in general and this is a bad idea. Not only does it set bad precedent, but there's only 1 profane word among land owners...eminent domain.

Not if the price is right....I promise you.

Some things don't have a price.

Your comment has little to do with the realities of land sales and eminent domain.
Mitch Blood Green
Canada2017 said:

tommie said:

Canada2017 said:

YoakDaddy said:

I'm a Trump supporter in general and this is a bad idea. Not only does it set bad precedent, but there's only 1 profane word among land owners...eminent domain.

Your comment has little to do with the realities of land sales and eminent domain.

It has to do with emotion. I knew a guy whose family owned thousands of acres near Waxahachie. This land had been on their family for generations.

In 1989 (or so), the government wanted to use their land to build the super conducting supercollider. He refused to sale. Therefore, eminent domain was used to confiscate their land.

It destroyed him. It wasn't about the money for him. Imagine if a future president wanted to take your land from your great grandson for foolish project in the future.

Your future great grandson would be right to want to honor you.

BTW, that was a failed project.
Forest Bueller
Didn't Trump and the Republican Senate reject a bill that included 25 billion for a wall one year ago today? Yea it would have doled it out over a 10 year period, but still.....

Bet he wished he had that option today.
Canada2017
tommie said:

Canada2017 said:

tommie said:

Canada2017 said:

YoakDaddy said:

It has to do with emotion. I knew a guy whose family owned thousands of acres near Waxahachie. This land had been on their family for generations.

In 1989 (or so), the government wanted to use their land to build the super conducting supercollider. He refused to sale. Therefore, eminent domain was used to confiscate their land.

It destroyed him. It wasn't about the money for him. Imagine if a future president wanted to take your land from your great grandson for foolish project in the future.

Your future great grandson would be right to want to honor you.

BTW, that was a failed project.

My adult offspring want the El Paso farm sold ....ASAP . They aren't farmers and figure they could re invest the money closer to home .

Have faced 'eminent domain ' issues on 3 separate occasions. Only once did we get what I considered a fair price . But you should never go to go to court over it ....it's a guaranteed loser .

Much of the border lands are already owned by the states or by the feds . Most of the privately owned acreage is wide open -super dry grazing land . I've seen much of it . It's the kind of country where you need 50+ acres per head.

For the most part the owners will be thrilled to sell for the right price . Especially since the fence won't be cutting through the middle of their land .....obviously just the southern boundary.

Of course the media will focus on the guy with 2 acres out in the middle of nowhere who will be 'outraged '.
riflebear
Johnny Bear
syme said:

Obama declared 9 emergencies in his first 6 years. There's been 53 "states of emergency" since 1976.

Exactly what precedent is Trump setting?
And additionally, it's laughable to think that if and when a socialist democrat lune becomes POTUS they would be less inclined to declare "national emergencies" to attempt to do things like violating the 2nd Amendment and/or force economic disaster over so called man made climate change because Trump didn't declare a national emergency over border security. The end always justifies the means to those people and precedent means little to nothing to them.
YoakDaddy
DioNoZeus said:

YoakDaddy said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

I agree with this statement (other than calling them wets). Clearly we need to keep track of who is entering this country.

Just calling them what my Mexican (South Texas natives) friends call them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.