Trump Plans National Emergency to Build Border Wall

23,410 Views | 231 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jack and DP
Doc Holliday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Waco1947 said:

I don't trigger you? You are projecting your crap on to me. I am sorry that I trigger that repulsive stuff in you. God be with you in your pain. It simply cannot feel good to attempt to hurt so many people - blacks, women, illegally, asylum seekers, Muslims, Dems, gays, liberals.
You have a lot hate. God can release you if open yourself to love.
God will condemn muslims....does that mean god is hateful?
Waco1947
Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

I don't trigger you? You are projecting your crap on to me. I am sorry that I trigger that repulsive stuff in you. God be with you in your pain. It simply cannot feel good to attempt to hurt so many people - blacks, women, illegally, asylum seekers, Muslims, Dems, gays, liberals.
You have a lot hate. God can release you if open yourself to love.
God will condemn muslims....does that mean god is hateful?
Hahahahahahahaha! You are confusing your direct line to Rush or Hannity with God. Bless your You.
quash
YoakDaddy said:

Booray said:

YoakDaddy said:

Booray said:

YoakDaddy said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

TechDawgMc said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

Are you sure his successor didn't set that precedent lol?
Does it really matter? This decision is dumb.
It's the only option if congress can't represent their constituents.

Plus we got el chapo's 14 billion back so technically Mexican cartels paid for it lmao

No. We don't ignore the constitution just because we don't like what Congress does. We especially don't allow one man the right to do that. Rule by law is what protects us. Violating that concept is way beyond dangerousand never justified by "oh but I know what's best"
Please show me where this violates the constitution.

Let's here the argument for why he is not violating the appropriations clause.

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/interpretations/appropriations-clause-article-i-section-9-clause-7

Just positing that a declaration as an emergency under the National Emergency Act (Congress gave the Executive that power), he can spend money from any statutes that allow new or transfer spending during emergency periods.
I don't even know what that means. Even during physical land wars between nations, it is Congress that appropriates funds for the military. Having a hard time understanding why this is different. If Roosevelt had to ask for money to fight the Nazis, it seems a little odd that Trump can just name his price to fight off 12 year olds from Honduras.

Give me an example of a "statute that allows new or transfer spending during emergency periods."

As you know, bills that appropriate spending may limit that spending on certain specific line items. An example of this would be what Trump just signed that limits him to spending no more than $1.375 billion on a physical barrier. Under an NEA declaration, he could, for example, utilize military funding bills that are specific only to certain programs that don't limit or are not specific as to what the funds could be spent on. For example, there are border protection funds for the military, yet it's not the military that chases, catches, and prosecutes illegals, that's ICE. The military merely observes. Funds appropriated to the military for border protection, if not specific or limited in the bill, could be used to build a wall in addition to what he just received from congress.
Thanks. Not sure that is how it will work out. The rationale presupposes that the crisis requires the use of the military. It seems like circular logic to me. Also doesn't seem very "originalist."

Regardless, my guess is the Democrat's plan is to just tie it up in the courts for 23 months.

Yeah. It's not very "originalist" at all. I don't care for an emergency declaration use under any circumstances for that very reason. To me it's like the War Powers Act...yeah it limits a presidents use of the military, but it allows a president to use the military without a congressional declaration of war.
Only if Congress fails to do their duty, which they have always failed to do for decades now. When POTUS acts Congress should refuse to fund. Power retrieved. Instead we have something like a parliamentary govt, but no votes of "no confidence".
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
HuMcK
Here's a GOP POTUS telling Congress to ignore "constitutionality and precedent" to do what he wants.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
If you are against the boondoggle wall you must be for open borders. This is a lie and framing the question this way should only work in the minds of those with no reasoning skills. Unfortunately it is widespread.
Canada2017
settegast said:

On 20 nov 2014 donald tweeted:
"Repubs must not allow pres obama to subvert the constitution of the US for his own benefit & because he is unable to negotiate w/ congress"
This was posted in response to obama dealings with illegal immigration.
Karma is a mother

The only karma that matters.......

is Hillary Clinton will go down as the biggest choke artist in the history of American politics.

Twice
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
HRC is really on your mind isnt she?

Waco1947
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

More like his fantasies
Waco1947
Florda_mike
Waco1947 said:

More like his fantasies

She's certainly quite the catch indeed
Canada2017
Florda_mike said:

Waco1947 said:

More like his fantasies

Indeed

Dirty Bill deserves the Medal of Honor for staying with that carpet munching cow .
Florda_mike
Canada2017 said:

Florda_mike said:

Waco1947 said:

More like his fantasies

Indeed

Dirty Bill deserves the Medal of Honor for staying with that carpet munching cow .
settegast
Notice in the previous 6 post, there isn't a response to donald's tweet but only a deflection
Florda_mike
settegast said:

Notice in the previous 6 post, there isn't a response to donald's tweet but only a deflection

Again, thanks for serving our country my friend!

What particular donald tweet are you referring?

Thread's a month old btw
YoakDaddy
Canada2017 said:

Florda_mike said:

Waco1947 said:

More like his fantasies

Indeed

Only a marriage on paper....Bill has been out tomcattin' for so long that I think he's the Wilt Chamberlain of politics.
Waco1947
You guys just love s good circle le j**k with your favorite HRC fantasy. Geez what juveniles.
News Flash. Hollow Man won.
Waco1947
Waco1947
YoakDaddy said:

Canada2017 said:

Florda_mike said:

Waco1947 said:

More like his fantasies

Indeed

Only a marriage on paper....Bill has been out tomcattin' for so long that I think he's the Wilt Chamberlain of politics.

"Here we go round the *****ly pear
*****ly pear *****ly pear
Here we go round the *****ly pear
At five o'clock in the morning."
TS Eliot
Waco1947
YoakDaddy
Waco1947 said:

YoakDaddy said:

Canada2017 said:

Florda_mike said:

Waco1947 said:

More like his fantasies

Indeed

"Here we go round the *****ly pear
*****ly pear *****ly pear
Here we go round the *****ly pear
At five o'clock in the morning."
TS Eliot

Two trailer park girls go round the outside
Round the outside, round the outside
Two trailer park girls go round the outside
Round the outside, round the outside
-Eminem
Waco1947
"Trump is but a walking shadow, a poor player,
Who struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing." W Shakespeare with edits by me.
Waco1947
Florda_mike
Waco1947 said:

Drinking now?
Waco1947
Waco1947
riflebear
Dam Trump separating children from their families again...

Florda_mike
riflebear said:

I can't watch such a terrible thing because that's such a terrible thing to do

But democrats can't watch because they don't care about the 6 and 10 year old

All democrats care about is the 10 additional voters they just got on the welfare rolls

Democrats suc
Waco1947
riflebear said:

5,000 border patrol agent vacancies are still open.
Waco1947
Florda_mike
Waco1947 said:

riflebear said:

Did you watch that video!

HE|_|_ no ya didn't

All you care about is those 10 additional dimwit dimcrat voters like yourself

I mean if you're ok with killing babies then you're dam sure ok with children cut up with razor wire you valueless wannabe preacher
quash
Florda_mike said:

Waco1947 said:

riflebear said:

HE|_|_ no ya didn't

I mean if you're ok with killing babies then you're dam sure ok with children cut up with razor wire you valueless wannabe preacher
He's not ok with killing babies. Don't believe those who would lie about that.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Florda_mike
quash said:

Florda_mike said:

Waco1947 said:

riflebear said:

HE|_|_ no ya didn't

He's not ok with killing babies. Don't believe those who would lie about that.

Yes he is!
quash
Senate votes to override. At least 7 Republicans. Watch fake conservatives castigate real conservatives for doing the right thing.
Doc Holliday
quash said:

Senate votes to override. At least 7 Republicans. Watch fake conservatives castigate real conservatives for doing the right thing.
They don't have enough votes to override Trump's upcoming veto of this.

So I applaud the RINO's for ratting themselves out. First time congress has ever rejected a Presidential emergency under the 1976 national emergency act.

Illegal immigration is big business: too bad you know nothing about that. You just applauded the swamp in it's attempt to perpetuate illegal immigration so they can get rich from it.
quash
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

So I applaud the RINO's for ratting themselves out. First time congress has ever rejected a Presidential emergency under the 1976 national emergency act.

Illegal immigration is big business: too bad you know nothing about that. You just applauded the swamp in it's attempt to perpetuate illegal immigration so they can get rich from it.
I applaud Senators who follow the Constitution. Thanks for proving my point.
Mitch Blood Green
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Maybe true. That's a different vote. Others could change their mind.
Booray
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Translation: "ends justify the means, separation of powers isn't that big of a deal."
YoakDaddy
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Did congress take away that 1976 law giving the president that authority? Did I miss something?

BTW....I think this is a poor use of that authority, but nevertheless they gave it to a president.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
So much for the will of the people.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
quash
YoakDaddy said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Did congress take away that 1976 law giving the president that authority? Did I miss something?

BTW....I think this is a poor use of that authority, but nevertheless they gave it to a president.
Elsewhere I have argued that there are several unconstitutional delegations of congressional power to the executive. Doesn't matter how long Congress has let it go. Really ironic that this particular authority was granted so soon after the imperial presidency.
YoakDaddy
quash said:

YoakDaddy said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Elsewhere I have argued that there are several unconstitutional delegations of congressional power to the executive. Doesn't matter how long Congress has let it go. Really ironic that this particular authority was granted so soon after the imperial presidency.

Nixon or the book? Not disagreeing that all government branches have exceeded the authority granted under the constitution (IMO the constitution isn't a suicide pact.) and government has grown too large exceeding what the Framers intended, but congress did authorize a president this authority.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.