The Real Economy isn't Booming

41,594 Views | 436 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Waco1947
contrario
How long do you want to ignore this user?
contrario
quash said:

Florda_mike said:

Back on topic, economy is booming

What indicators are you using, jobs, GDP, or what?

One leading indicator, freight loads, is down 50% June to June. Some of that is regression to the mean, but a big chunk of that is not. Slowing production, possibly inflationary pressures.
Source? The most recent Cass Freight index report was from May. Do you have another source that has figures through June?

I can't find a reputable source that indicates anywhere close to a 50% decline. Declines in the 3-10% range, depending on measure, yes, but not 50%.

And all freight market analysts recognize the current declines are mostly due to the artificially high numbers in 2018 due to the anticipation of tariffs with China. The 2 year running average is still positive.

Edit: and for the record, I was critical and Florida Mike and team last year when they pointed to economic indexes that were artificially inflated due to the anticipated China tariffs. That's the danger of people with little economic knowledge try to act like they do.
quash
D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

Any chance you'll do what Florda cannot? What metric are you using for the boom?
I'm not characterizing the economy one way or another. Just observing that we have more jobs than workers right now in a number of places.
Hmm, maybe we should loosen up work visas.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash
contrario said:

quash said:

Florda_mike said:

One leading indicator, freight loads, is down 50% June to June. Some of that is regression to the mean, but a big chunk of that is not. Slowing production, possibly inflationary pressures.
Source? The most recent Cass Freight index report was from May. Do you have another source that has figures through June?

I can't find a reputable source that indicates anywhere close to a 50% decline. Declines in the 3-10% range, depending on measure, yes, but not 50%.

And all freight market analysts recognize the current declines are mostly due to the artificially high numbers in 2018 due to the anticipation of tariffs with China. The 2 year running average is still positive.

Edit: and for the record, I was critical and Florida Mike and team last year when they pointed to economic indexes that were artificially inflated due to the anticipated China tariffs. That's the danger of people with little economic knowledge try to act like they do.

Glad you asked https://www.dat.com/industry-trends/trendlines

As I noted, some of this is regression to the mean from 2018 and the pre-tariff prep.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
contrario
quash said:

contrario said:

quash said:

Florda_mike said:

As I noted, some of this is regression to the mean from 2018 and the pre-tariff prep.
I know you chose your words carefully, but how do you define a big chunk of the decline is due to other factors than regression to the mean? Because every expert I've talked to or read from indicate much of this is a regression to the mean and they point to the long term averages that still show increases.
curtpenn
I'm certain this is all due to Obama, but anyway:

https://issuesinsights.com/2019/07/08/govt-dependency-plunges-under-trump-why-arent-we-celebrating/?fbclid=IwAR2WyIUSWweeSW5jSZLPZ43o_nH_qr8r0ZMR6x5OBSOaLxonbS7w5R7qJ_M
contrario
quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

Any chance you'll do what Florda cannot? What metric are you using for the boom?
I'm not characterizing the economy one way or another. Just observing that we have more jobs than workers right now in a number of places.
What would that do to wages?
riflebear
BrooksBearLives said:

The Nation recently published a stunning overview of the working poor and underpaid. One of the most powerful data points in the piece described how empty the decline in unemployment actually is: having a job doesn't exempt anyone from poverty anymore. About 12% of Americans (43 million) are considered poor, and yet they are employed. They earn an individual income below $12,140 per year, and slightly more than that for a family of two. If you include housing and medical expenses in the calculation, it raises the percentage of Americans living in poverty to 14%. That's 45 million people.

At that level of income, there's almost no way to pay for food and shelter in any sizeable American city. That means people now can both be employed and homeless.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petergeorgescu/2018/08/22/americas-real-economy-it-isnt-booming/?fbclid=IwAR19dvytJ4THMcesHk6m3F5ou1DX6rKBF4WYWC6bJusKdgJaqSexfN5XF_k#320433c060b7

Tell that to these people...

quash
contrario said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

Not much given that this is a supply issue. But let's say it depresses wages a little. So what? That is what the market does, it responds.
quash
contrario said:

quash said:

contrario said:

quash said:

Florda_mike said:

I know you chose your words carefully, but how do you define a big chunk of the decline is due to other factors than regression to the mean? Because every expert I've talked to or read from indicate much of this is a regression to the mean and they point to the long term averages that still show increases.
Got that from the article that linked to DAT. I can't remember what device I was on (not this one apparently) but let me keep looking, gotta be on the history somewhere..
contrario
quash said:

contrario said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

Not much given that this is a supply issue. But let's say it depresses wages a little. So what? That is what the market does, it responds.
Well considering this entire thread is about how some people work their tail off and still can't get by, shouldn't we do everything we can to avoid over-saturating the lower-wage labor pool, which is the employment sector most of the work visas would contribute to? I'm all for a free flow of labor, but then you will have people like BBL and cinque and Jinx who will complain about the low wages. So we need to decide what we want. Do we want a free flow of labor and people, which will keep wages (and costs) low, particularly in the lower-income sector, or do we want to put a halt to this and allow wages to catch up to the requirements needed just to "get by"?
quash
contrario said:

quash said:

contrario said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

Well considering this entire thread is about how some people work their tail off and still can't get by, shouldn't we do everything we can to avoid over-saturating the lower-wage labor pool, which is the employment sector most of the work visas would contribute to? I'm all for a free flow of labor, but then you will have people like BBL and cinque and Jinx who will complain about the low wages. So we need to decide what we want. Do we want a free flow of labor and people, which will keep wages (and costs) low, particularly in the lower-income sector, or do we want to put a halt to this and allow wages to catch up to the requirements needed just to "get by"?

I've probably said it six times in the last three months but this is a good place to repeat it: I want a free flow of labor.

Some big restaurant chain in the Pacific northwest just filed for bankruptcy citing labor costs linked to municipal living wage ordinances. They have a lot of debt to service, too, but it doesn't help when the govt tells you what a worker is worth. Hint: the govt is usually wrong.

A living wage is available by virtue of experience and training, not govt fiat.
BrooksBearLives
contrario said:

quash said:

contrario said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

Low wages are THE problem right now. Wage growth is around 3.1% which is maddening given full employment.
YoakDaddy
quash said:

contrario said:

quash said:

contrario said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

I've probably said it six times in the last three months but this is a good place to repeat it: I want a free flow of labor.

Some big restaurant chain in the Pacific northwest just filed for bankruptcy citing labor costs linked to municipal living wage ordinances. They have a lot of debt to service, too, but it doesn't help when the govt tells you what a worker is worth. Hint: the govt is usually wrong.

A living wage is available by virtue of experience and training, not govt fiat.

And the non-partisan CBO just reported that an increase of the minimum wage to $15/hr would lift some from poverty but result in job losses...."Overall, CBO economists wrote that resulting job losses would likely range between "about zero and 3.7 million."
https://www.npr.org/2019/07/08/739607964/-15-minimum-wage-would-boost-17-million-workers-cut-1-3-million-jobs-cbo-says
I'm not a fan of minimum wage because it's an artificial, one size fits all floor that doesn't take a local wage market into account.
Canada2017
BrooksBearLives said:

contrario said:

quash said:

contrario said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

Low wages are THE problem right now. Wage growth is around 3.1% which is maddening given full employment.

Suspect the impact of millions of illegals flooding the job market would negatively impact wage growth.
Florda_mike
BrooksBearLives said:

contrario said:

quash said:

contrario said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

^^^ Too bad "know nothing" inexperienced idiots like this can be heard at all

His stupidity just clogs up wisdom
quash
Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

contrario said:

quash said:

contrario said:

quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

^^^ Too bad "know nothing" inexperienced idiots like this can be heard at all

His stupidity just clogs up wisdom
C'mon, man, Iron-O-Meters aren't built to take this kind of abuse.
Waco1947
Canada "Suspect the impact of millions of illegals flooding the job market would negatively impact wage growth."
I would add that it's congress that does nothing for immigration reform. Business wants low labor costs. Cheap Labor reduces those costs.
But business also want
1. highly skilled workers and that means education
2. Relief from healthcare cost for workers.
3. Roads, bridges, power grids and sources.
Investment in human capital and structural capital should be governments concern too
Waco1947

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.