How well is Trump and his administration handling the Coronavirus epidemic?

68,850 Views | 843 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Booray
Kyle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TexasScientist said:

Kyle said:

I am curious - I would genuinely like to know, but it always ends up in the same rabbit holes:
1. What has President Trump done specifically wrong?
2. What should he have done better?
3. What did previous president's do better?

TS - I started to read your article, but when the guy praised China for its response, I stopped. I am looking for facts not partisan hit jobs.
1. Dismissed and downplayed, for weeks, the threat as insignificant - Here is a chronology of Trump's dismissive narrative:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/opinion/trump-coronavirus.html

2. He should have recognized it was potentially a serious health problem, instead of treating it more as a personal public relations issue, and referendum on his performance. He should have followed advice and been forthright about the potential problem, He should have taken comprehensive steps recommended to address the problem, by implementing widespread testing, tracking, identifying, quarantining, and isolating, as information became available, in lieu of treating it as a public relations problem that he could talk around.

3. Not since the Spanish Flu has there been a comparable virus in terms of transmissibility, virulence, morbidity, and mortality. George W. Bush didn't put his political fortunes ahead of the country's.

You should have read a little further. China, despite a slow start and refusal to admit the problem, finally got on track and rapidly took action to slow the spread. South Korea has done a very good job by taking a comprehensive approach, something we could have done.
Thanks. I appreciate. Trump's personality certainly is not suited for leadership or managing a crisis. However, I also acknowledge he does not get a fair shake from most (fair discussion on whether that is his fault).

riflebear
This is why it doesn't matter what most of the country does, it will spread regardless.

curtpenn
quash said:

curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

No worse than yours or mine .
I don't believe you conduct yourself in the same manner as Trump conducts himself. I haven't seen that characteristic in your writings on this board. Surely, you see there is a difference.
We all have our quirks.

You and I waste time on a message board knowing full well our opinions have minimal impact on anyone else.

Trump is POTUS and making incredibly tough decisions that effect the entire world......every day .

Believe he has earned his quirks .
I respectfully disagree. His 'quircks' are manifestations of a serious personality disorder that dangerously determines how he makes decisions. That's why he couldn't recognize the magnitude and seriousness of this disease until it began to effect the economy, which has been his personal mantra for re-election. With the economy pulled out from under him, he pivoted, recognizing his only chance at re-election is to be seen as leading the effort in fighting the epidemic. It's very obvious.

With respect ...that's ridiculous . Trump closed air travel to China in January......Dems said he was xenophobic . Trump formed the C-19 task force....leftists said it was 'too white'.

The only thing that is obvious........the only solution to this viral nightmare would have been to close ALL international travel back in January along with closing ALL our borders.

An action you know would have NEVER been accepted by the American people.

Every thing else is just chatter.
Closing the border with China was the right thing to do, although I cynically believe, in part it conveniently fit with his trade war with China. That essentially is all he did for six weeks, when he should have embraced the German (which he doesn't like) made WHO test, in order to get ahead of this as South Korea has done. Instead, because of his personality disorder, he was dismissive and ignored the gravity of what this disease presents. The wrong kind of leadership you need in a crisis. With the right leadership we could be ahead of this and on the trajectory of South Korea, as opposed to trying to avoid the disaster Italy is facing.

Further, he's savaged and purged his advisors to the point that his 'quirks' leave him making poorly and inadequately informed decisions. All part of malignant naricissim. It's very likely he's making decisions without being fully and adequately informed.
So, Trump did the right thing but I believe for the wrong reason.... Okay, gotcha
Yes, unfortunately, that's the way he works in my opinion. My opinion of Trump's motives aside, he didn't go far enough after reducing travel with China, because he didn't appreciate the threat. That's why we're behind in addressing this here now, and faced with an overwhelmed health care system.
Seriously, how could we expect any government to get this 100% correct. Even now, as a 65 year old presumably at greater risk I'm more concerned about the financial fallout than the health issues. I think any rational person must struggle to balance those thoughts. Should we intentionally crater the economy at the expense of something that may, or may not, be any worse than common flu? Just very difficult to see forward with any clarity. And face it, those in charge are likely to be less well informed and/or lower in cognitive skills than many of us here. If we don't have an answer, why should we expect them to?
Absent the measures we have taken the damage to the economy is worse if workers die than if they stay home for a while.
How will we know that?
curtpenn
TexasScientist said:

Kyle said:

I am curious - I would genuinely like to know, but it always ends up in the same rabbit holes:
1. What has President Trump done specifically wrong?
2. What should he have done better?
3. What did previous president's do better?

TS - I started to read your article, but when the guy praised China for its response, I stopped. I am looking for facts not partisan hit jobs.
1. Dismissed and downplayed, for weeks, the threat as insignificant - Here is a chronology of Trump's dismissive narrative:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/opinion/trump-coronavirus.html

2. He should have recognized it was potentially a serious health problem, instead of treating it more as a personal public relations issue, and referendum on his performance. He should have followed advice and been forthright about the potential problem, He should have taken comprehensive steps recommended to address the problem, by implementing widespread testing, tracking, identifying, quarantining, and isolating, as information became available, in lieu of treating it as a public relations problem that he could talk around.

3. Not since the Spanish Flu has there been a comparable virus in terms of transmissibility, virulence, morbidity, and mortality. George W. Bush didn't put his political fortunes ahead of the country's.

You should have read a little further. China, despite a slow start and refusal to admit the problem, finally got on track and rapidly took action to slow the spread. South Korea has done a very good job by taking a comprehensive approach, something we could have done.
I recall being very sick with Hong Kong flu when I was in junior high. Both my parents got it, too. I've read there were 100,000 fatalities in the US. I'm too young to remember what else was going on in the country, but my parents (now 89 and 90) say there was no great crisis they can recall. On the plus side, my dad was a heavy smoker but gave it up after being so sick with the flu. I will forever wonder if we are over-reacting this time.

Sadly can't recall the title now, but I read a book maybe 5-10 years ago set in the near future in which Big Daddy controlled every aspect of a dystopian society. The underlying foundation was a global pandemic in which everyone was tested and their DNA info cataloged. This gave rise to a whole new totalitarian society able to monitor every movement and facet of peoples' lives. Not saying we are headed there, but one wonders a bit.
Aliceinbubbleland
I don't believe a word that crosses Trumps lips. He has one interest and one interest only. The markets and he has failed miserably. He has added an unbelievable burden on the tax payers back with tax "cuts". He surrounds himself with nincompoops. I never hear him speak of education, only the market. He is an economic disaster that juiced the markets to please a less then solid majority of the population. He inherited his wealth and failed miserably at running his properties.

All that said, he is not as bad as the other side. I'm just happy I didn't vote for the man who is nothing but a TV reality star.

My problem is I trust Pelosi, Schumer, Reid and all their ass kissers even worse. Much worse..

I'd hope Bloomberg could derail this train wreck we're headed for in November but everyone hated him because he earned his money and was too boring. I don't know what I'll do in November but I'll probably pass just like I did in 2016.
TexasScientist
Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

I don't believe you conduct yourself in the same manner as Trump conducts himself. I haven't seen that characteristic in your writings on this board. Surely, you see there is a difference.
We all have our quirks.

You and I waste time on a message board knowing full well our opinions have minimal impact on anyone else.

Trump is POTUS and making incredibly tough decisions that effect the entire world......every day .

I respectfully disagree. His 'quircks' are manifestations of a serious personality disorder that dangerously determines how he makes decisions. That's why he couldn't recognize the magnitude and seriousness of this disease until it began to effect the economy, which has been his personal mantra for re-election. With the economy pulled out from under him, he pivoted, recognizing his only chance at re-election is to be seen as leading the effort in fighting the epidemic. It's very obvious.

With respect ...that's ridiculous . Trump closed air travel to China in January......Dems said he was xenophobic . Trump formed the C-19 task force....leftists said it was 'too white'.

The only thing that is obvious........the only solution to this viral nightmare would have been to close ALL international travel back in January along with closing ALL our borders.

Closing the border with China was the right thing to do, although I cynically believe, in part it conveniently fit with his trade war with China. That essentially is all he did for six weeks, when he should have embraced the German (which he doesn't like) made WHO test, in order to get ahead of this as South Korea has done. Instead, because of his personality disorder, he was dismissive and ignored the gravity of what this disease presents. The wrong kind of leadership you need in a crisis. With the right leadership we could be ahead of this and on the trajectory of South Korea, as opposed to trying to avoid the disaster Italy is facing.

Further, he's savaged and purged his advisors to the point that his 'quirks' leave him making poorly and inadequately informed decisions. All part of malignant naricissim. It's very likely he's making decisions without being fully and adequately informed.
So, Trump did the right thing but I believe for the wrong reason.... Okay, gotcha
Yes, unfortunately, that's the way he works in my opinion. My opinion of Trump's motives aside, he didn't go far enough after reducing travel with China, because he didn't appreciate the threat. That's why we're behind in addressing this here now, and faced with an overwhelmed health care system.
Seriously, how could we expect any government to get this 100% correct. Even now, as a 65 year old presumably at greater risk I'm more concerned about the financial fallout than the health issues. I think any rational person must struggle to balance those thoughts. Should we intentionally crater the economy at the expense of something that may, or may not, be any worse than common flu? Just very difficult to see forward with any clarity. And face it, those in charge are likely to be less well informed and/or lower in cognitive skills than many of us here. If we don't have an answer, why should we expect them to?
I agree we can't expect government to get it 100% correct, and I agree with most of what you just said. However, we already know this is worse than influenza. Therefore, we need leaders who will take the advice of those who are well informed, as opposed to going on hunches.

You are getting silly .

The president you hate is obviously acting upon the input of the medical experts .

Finally.
90sBear
Sadly I think one factor contributing to this fiasco (and horribly bad timing) is that it is an election year. That's a negative commentary on both sides as I think both sides early on treated this at least partially as a political issue.
Canada2017
riflebear said:

This is why it doesn't matter what most of the country does, it will spread regardless.

Just one of many examples .

Another is our hundreds of thousands of homeless . They have no where to quarantine themselves . No access to sanitizers ....no way to store food .

Jack Bauer

BrooksBearLives
Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

We all have our quirks.

Where did Dems say he was xenophobic for closing down air travel?

It was late. And it was weird he exempted countries where he had resort properties. And he completely created an unsafe mess by announcing it on tv before talking to European leaders... and also screwing up the announcement.

But I didn't see anyone say it was xenophobic.

Are you making things up again? Is this like the phantom libs that we're excited to watch people die that was so obvious you couldn't find one example?
BrooksBearLives
Canada2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Germany has confirmed Trump tried to bribe scientists for exclusive use to the US.
Named or unnamed source? Tomorrow's headline, "Trump Tried To Buy Germany To Control All Of Europe." Ahhhh, the convenience of fiction.
It's in the article you didn't read.
Your right, I didn't waste my time. I'll wait for tomorrow's headlines. His taking over Germany will make interesting reading.

It literally cites sources in the German government.

It is refreshing to see you admit you didn't read. The fact the headline was all you read is EXACTLY my point.
Just wondering is there any rule, regulation, law, Constitutional problem, whatever that says Trump can't hire the best minds? The problem I see is optics. Question, what if he pulled it off and a cure for this deadly virus came about in a week? Instead of bashing his efforts, how about everyone pulling or pushing the wagon in the same direction. Personally, I don't care who gets the credit or how the cat is skinned, I care about results. If that hurts German feelings, tough. Political BS needs to be left at the door during this time of crisis. As for me, I appreciate all the efforts our leaders are doing. Finally, I would be disappointed if our Government, which includes Trump, weren't exploring all options. Hiring the best minds sounds like thinking outside-the-box. Something leaders do. So shall we push or pull the wagon? My glass is half full. Point COUNTER Point.

The point is that he is incompetent. If we succeed it will be IN SPITE of him, not because of him.

People like Rifle say he's perfect. He is not. And it is REALLY important to understand that. I don't care if he's a monster at this point. I care that he's not fit for the job. He's getting in the way of progress and response.

Rifle said he's doing a great job now.

Did you graduate H.S.?

I've NEVER said Trump was perfect - the complete opposite actually many times
I'm not saying he's doing a great job - I'm listening to LIBERAL governors (that you IGNORE) from California New York & Washington say Trump Pence & the Administration & their TASK force is doing a GOOD JOB and going above and beyond. How can you IGNORE that?

It's not my fault you have blinders on and can't read or refuse to listen to the facts or people on your side completely disagree w/ you who are actually have the facts. You are surpassing Cinque and others as some of the most uneducated and misinformed people to ever roam this site and spread lies that continue to be debunked.

Carry on though....

10 out of 10 is perfect.

You defended that.

Just shut up.
Always love how you misrepresent the positions of others then act like a 3 year old. Impressive.

Find it hard to believe this individual is in his 30's , much less a PhD candidate.

Posts read more like those of a pre adolescent.

You spend a lot of time trying to make fun of me for getting a PhD. Okay. You're literally wrong about every other assertion.

Sorry my learning bothers you I guess?

Not really sure why you obsess about my education...

Oh wait. It's because you're deflecting.
BrooksBearLives
riflebear said:

Cool. So we've reached the part in your argument where you have evolved from "it's nothing" to "only he can fix it" to "we're all going to die anyway."

Thanks for playing.
Florda_mike
BrooksBearLives said:

Canada2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Germany has confirmed Trump tried to bribe scientists for exclusive use to the US.
Named or unnamed source? Tomorrow's headline, "Trump Tried To Buy Germany To Control All Of Europe." Ahhhh, the convenience of fiction.
Your right, I didn't waste my time. I'll wait for tomorrow's headlines. His taking over Germany will make interesting reading.

It is refreshing to see you admit you didn't read. The fact the headline was all you read is EXACTLY my point.
Just wondering is there any rule, regulation, law, Constitutional problem, whatever that says Trump can't hire the best minds? The problem I see is optics. Question, what if he pulled it off and a cure for this deadly virus came about in a week? Instead of bashing his efforts, how about everyone pulling or pushing the wagon in the same direction. Personally, I don't care who gets the credit or how the cat is skinned, I care about results. If that hurts German feelings, tough. Political BS needs to be left at the door during this time of crisis. As for me, I appreciate all the efforts our leaders are doing. Finally, I would be disappointed if our Government, which includes Trump, weren't exploring all options. Hiring the best minds sounds like thinking outside-the-box. Something leaders do. So shall we push or pull the wagon? My glass is half full. Point COUNTER Point.

The point is that he is incompetent. If we succeed it will be IN SPITE of him, not because of him.

People like Rifle say he's perfect. He is not. And it is REALLY important to understand that. I don't care if he's a monster at this point. I care that he's not fit for the job. He's getting in the way of progress and response.

Did you graduate H.S.?

I'm not saying he's doing a great job - I'm listening to LIBERAL governors (that you IGNORE) from California New York & Washington say Trump Pence & the Administration & their TASK force is doing a GOOD JOB and going above and beyond. How can you IGNORE that?

It's not my fault you have blinders on and can't read or refuse to listen to the facts or people on your side completely disagree w/ you who are actually have the facts. You are surpassing Cinque and others as some of the most uneducated and misinformed people to ever roam this site and spread lies that continue to be debunked.

Carry on though....

10 out of 10 is perfect.

You defended that.

Just shut up.
Always love how you misrepresent the positions of others then act like a 3 year old. Impressive.

Find it hard to believe this individual is in his 30's , much less a PhD candidate.

You spend a lot of time trying to make fun of me for getting a PhD. Okay. You're literally wrong about every other assertion.

Perhaps it's because you're a professional student going back to school after you lost your Title 9 government job that Trump eliminated?

Professional students avoid working in private sector or are unqualified to work in real world. Many here would judge from your posts that you possess an attitude that makes you unemployable because you're angry and not a team player with just an overall bad attitude about private sector

Hence, you go back to school instead of supporting your family with a real job. We all continue our education but do it in real world instead of hiding behind college walls
D. C. Bear
Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Canada2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Did you graduate H.S.?

Carry on though....

10 out of 10 is perfect.

You defended that.

Just shut up.

Perhaps it's because you're a professional student going back to school after you lost your Title 9 government job that Trump eliminated?

Professional students avoid working in private sector or are unqualified to work in real world. Many here would judge from your posts that you possess an attitude that makes you unemployable because you're angry and not a team player with just an overall bad attitude about private sector

Hence, you go back to school instead of supporting your family with a real job. We all continue our education but do it in real world instead of hiding behind college walls

You are reasoning beyond the data. There is a decent chance that he is not as big an ass off line as he is behind the anonymity of the Internet. In any event, because he is smarter than the rest of us, a private sector employer might tolerate his apparent inability to avoid acting like a jerk.
Mitch Blood Green
Aliceinbubbleland said:

I don't believe a word that crosses Trumps lips. He has one interest and one interest only. The markets and he has failed miserably. He has added an unbelievable burden on the tax payers back with tax "cuts". He surrounds himself with nincompoops. I never hear him speak of education, only the market. He is an economic disaster that juiced the markets to please a less then solid majority of the population. He inherited his wealth and failed miserably at running his properties.

All that said, he is not as bad as the other side. I'm just happy I didn't vote for the man who is nothing but a TV reality star.

My problem is I trust Pelosi, Schumer, Reid and all their ass kissers even worse. Much worse..

I'd hope Bloomberg could derail this train wreck we're headed for in November but everyone hated him because he earned his money and was too boring. I don't know what I'll do in November but I'll probably pass just like I did in 2016.

Your choices are going to be Biden or Trump. Don't accept sitting it out.
BrooksBearLives
D. C. Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Canada2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Did you graduate H.S.?

Carry on though....

10 out of 10 is perfect.

You defended that.

Just shut up.

You are reasoning beyond the data. There is a decent chance that he is not as big an ass off line as he is behind the anonymity of the Internet. In any event, because he is smarter than the rest of us, a private sector employer might tolerate his apparent inability to avoid acting like a jerk.

Remember, I am a jerk because I am sick and tired of people who openly lie in service of this president.

You know absolutely nothing about me. Florda knows even less. He's literally wrong about 90% of the things he posts about me. I let it go, because honestly, the less he knows about me really, the better I feel.

Call me a jerk. Fine. But I don't lie. And I am not racist. And I genuinely care about other people.

I used to care about being nice on the board, but years of having posts like that have removed any sort of guilt I may have ever felt about upsetting the poor sensibilities of old white men who think they deserve every nice thing they have.

None of us do.

I only come in to try and pushback a little. Just in the hopes that MAYBE one of y'all will realize that you've insulated yourselves from alternative points of view.
BearTruth13
I think Trump completely botched this. He is an old guy with probably zero knowledge of how pandemics could actually affect the world. He didn't realize how serious it was until it was too late.

Not just him though. Must countries are failing in a similar fashion. Only Singapore and SK have really been stopping this thing.
GoneGirl
BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

Cool. So we've reached the part in your argument where you have evolved from "it's nothing" to "only he can fix it" to "we're all going to die anyway."

Thanks for playing.
Is anybody seriously proposing we let Drunk College Boy Brady Sluder dictate the nation's response to the coronavirus by concluding from his stupid behavior that we really can't do anything to stop it when it's clear we can flatten the curve by staying home and social distancing? That's not only irresponsible, it's outright stupid.

(My guess is that Brady just Brock-Turnered his post-college employment prospects. Anyone want to hire the guy whose main concern about corona is that it's messing up his spring break?)
Aliceinbubbleland
tommie said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Those are not choices. Those are poison. I have no problem sitting this one out again. I do like Pence but regardless of which nitwit Biden is told to appoint as his VP, nada.
TexasScientist
Aliceinbubbleland said:

tommie said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Those are not choices. Those are poison. I have no problem sitting this one out again. I do like Pence but regardless of which nitwit Biden is told to appoint as his VP, nada.
He's probably looking at Gretchen Whitmer, Governor of Michigan, as his choice. He's already said his choice will be a woman, and she is from a key swing state.
GoneGirl
BearTruth13 said:

I think Trump completely botched this. He is an old guy with probably zero knowledge of how pandemics could actually affXi ect the world. He didn't realize how serious it was until it was too late.

Not just him though. Must countries are failing in a similar fashion. Only Singapore and SK have really been stopping this thing.
Xi in China tried to act quickly, but the virus outsprinted him, and China has too many people. Their medical facilities were quickly overwhelmed. The instant hospitals they erected were nothing short of amazing, but we will probably never get an accurate evaluation of China's true success in containing an outbreak that could have been much worse because Xi controls information.

What baffles me is that lots of other nations, including the U.S. and Italy, watched China take extreme measures, still had people flying to and from Asia, still had people on cruises (petri dishes for diseases) and didn't do enough to prepare for the spread.
Aliceinbubbleland
TexasScientist said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

tommie said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

He's probably looking at Gretchen Whitmer, Governor of Michigan, as his choice. He's already said his choice will be a woman, and she is from a key swing state.
That would make sense since Trump was in a spat with her earlier this week. That would be truly ugly.
Booray
BearTruth13 said:

I think Trump completely botched this. He is an old guy with probably zero knowledge of how pandemics could actually affect the world. He didn't realize how serious it was until it was too late.

Hard to say. The CDC did him no favors with the testing issues. The CDC is part of the federal government and therefore, the Trump Administration. So the "buck stops there." But I have a hard time believing that anybody else would not have trusted the CDC to do what they have done very capably many times before.

In retrospect, his travel bans look like really good decisions.

But where I do blame him is at the intersection of his assault against truth and facts and this particular crisis. For four years (the campaign and three years of his administration) President Trump has relentlessly attacked the "elite," meaning the institutions that have in large part built modern society.

The intelligence community, the courts, law enforcement, science and, most of all, the media are constantly portrayed as anti-American. Those institutions are far from perfect and have deserved some of that criticism. But by and large, the institutions are not perfect because they are made up of humans who make human mistakes, not because they are part of some grand conspiracy to subjugate the American masses.

That is the line Trump has obliterated.Millions of relatively intelligent people will now refuse to believe anything written in the New York Times, Washington Post or reported on CNN despite the fact that those institutions have strict journalistic standards and are right 99% of the time. (To be fair, the same is true on the other side for Fox News.) Those same people, however, will believe all sorts of wild BS from any random internet website if it paints their perceived political opponent as the devil.

In just the last week, many folks confidently told me that: (1) you could test for the coronavirus by holding your breath; (2) the coronavirus was cover for the break up of a pedophile ring; (3) that Nancy Pelosi was busy taking down an "In God We Trust" sign from the U.S. Capital and (4) that Nancy Pelosi's secret agenda in the disaster relief bill was funding abortions.

Trump attacks anyone and everyone who reports something that does not serve his immediate interest by attacking their motive. It has been his life's pattern, modeled on the advice of Roy Cohn, who helped bring us McCarthyism.

He did so here also, attacking anyone who cared about the virus and its potential for havoc on the world. The result of these attacks is that many people ignore what is in our common interest as a nation and as humans because they do not believe what our best minds are telling us, even after Trump himself changed course.

I don't know how much real difference there would have been if at the time Trump announced his China travel ban he also would have started to prepare us for what was likely to come. I can't model alternate realities. All I know is that it can't help if we begin every crisis as a divided nation with no faith in our institutions.

Forest Bueller_bf
Aliceinbubbleland said:

I hate to say this is a pretty common sentiment. I would guess 25% or more of folks that usually vote, simply don't have a choice.

Trump is Trump.

Biden is a prop.

This will be another general election with no real vote.
Forest Bueller_bf
Aliceinbubbleland said:

tommie said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

yep
BrooksBearLives
Booray said:

BearTruth13 said:

Hard to say. The CDC did him no favors with the testing issues. The CDC is part of the federal government and therefore, the Trump Administration. So the "buck stops there." But I have a hard time believing that anybody else would not have trusted the CDC to do what they have done very capably many times before.

In retrospect, his travel bans look like really good decisions.

But where I do blame him is at the intersection of his assault against truth and facts and this particular crisis. For four years (the campaign and three years of his administration) President Trump has relentlessly attacked the "elite," meaning the institutions that have in large part built modern society.

The intelligence community, the courts, law enforcement, science and most of all the media are constantly portrayed as anti-American. Those institutions are far from perfect and have deserved some of that criticism. But by and large, the institutions are not perfect because they are made up of humans who make human mistakes, not because they are part of some grand conspiracy to subjugate the American masses.

That is the line Trump has obliterated.Millions of relatively intelligent people will now refuse to believe anything written in the New York Times, Washington Post or reported on CNN despite the fact that those institutions have strict journalistic standards and are right 99% of the time. (To be fair, the same is true on the other side for Fox News.) Those same people, however, will believe all sorts of wild BS from any random internet website if it paints their perceived political opponent as the devil.

In just the last week, many folks confidently told me that: (1) you could test for the coronavirus by holding your breath; (2) the coronavirus was cover for the break up of a pedophile ring; (3) that Nancy Pelosi was busy taking down an "In God We Trust" sign from the U.S. Capital and (4) that Nancy Pelosi's secret agenda in the disaster relief bill was funding abortions.

Trump attacks anyone and everyone who reports something that does not serve his immediate interest by attacking their motive. It has been his life's pattern, modeled on the advice of Roy Cohn, who helped bring us MCCarthyism.

He did so here also, attacking anyone who cared about the virus and its potential for havoc on the world. The result of these attacks is that many people ignore what is in our common interest as a nation and as humans because they do not believe what our best minds are telling us. even after Trump himself changed course.

I don't know how much real difference there would have been if at the time Trump announced his China travel ban he also would have started to prepare us for what was likely to come. I can't model alternate realities. All I know is that it can't help if we begin every crisis as a divided nation with no faith in our institutions.

This is an excellent post.
D. C. Bear
BrooksBearLives said:

D. C. Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Canada2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Did you graduate H.S.?

Carry on though....

10 out of 10 is perfect.

You defended that.

Just shut up.

Remember, I am a jerk because I am sick and tired of people who openly lie in service of this president.

You know absolutely nothing about me. Florda knows even less. He's literally wrong about 90% of the things he posts about me. I let it go, because honestly, the less he knows about me really, the better I feel.

Call me a jerk. Fine. But I don't lie. And I am not racist. And I genuinely care about other people.

I used to care about being nice on the board, but years of having posts like that have removed any sort of guilt I may have ever felt about upsetting the poor sensibilities of old white men who think they deserve every nice thing they have.

None of us do.

I only come in to try and pushback a little. Just in the hopes that MAYBE one of y'all will realize that you've insulated yourselves from alternative points of view.

You are a jerk because you are a jerk. Odds are, you were a jerk before Trump was elected, and you will be a jerk after he is no longer president. You can rationalize it, you can excuse yourself, you can justify yourself all you want, but you are what you are and you alone are responsible for your own behavior. You seem to have the emotional maturity of a child who, when confronted with his own poor behavior, points to the behavior of others as an excuse.

You say I know nothing about you. That is not true. I know that you are very proud of your intelligence and education. I know that you believe yourself to be intellectually superior to nearly everyone who posts on here, and, I would suspect that you consider yourself the intellectual superior of nearly everyone you meet.

You are not behaving the way you are in the hope of changing someone else's perspective unless you are a whole lot less educated than you think you are, because educated, intelligent people know that what you are doing is not effective for changing someone else's perspective.

You talk about others having insulated themselves from other points of view, but you demonstrate the same thing yourself, sometimes to the point of absurdity.
quash
curtpenn said:

quash said:

curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

We all have our quirks.

Absent the measures we have taken the damage to the economy is worse if workers die than if they stay home for a while.
How will we know that?
How productive is a dead guy?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
curtpenn
quash said:

curtpenn said:

quash said:

curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

We all have our quirks.

How will we know that?

How much will we save in reduced Social Security payments?
Aliceinbubbleland
curtpenn said:

How much will we save in reduced Social Security payments?
Enough to gift every student with a huge buyout of their "loan" that we all knew as garbage in the first place. I still like the guy who asked Elizabeth Warren "I paid for my three kids education, do I get my money back?" Her answer. "Of course not" That's how they think.
4yrletterbear
Brooks, you must live a sad life. Obviously a very sheltered life as well. I want to invite you to come to my town and see how real people live and what real people know.

Also you can learn about how to interact with a cross section of Americans and then maybe you can appreciate why those of us who have built businesses from the ground up appreciate how this President is working every day to make our lives much more livable and reduce the boot of Government on out necks.

Nothing is free. WE pay for it all.
Florda_mike
4yrletterbear said:

Brooks, you must live a sad life. Obviously a very sheltered life as well. I want to invite you to come to my town and see how real people live and what real people know.

Also you can learn about how to interact with a cross section of Americans and then maybe you can appreciate why those of us who have built businesses from the ground up appreciate how this President is working every day to make our lives much more livable and reduce the boot of Government on out necks.

Nothing is free. WE pay for it all.

^^^ =s BBL culture shock to the max

But a week with you, wherever that is, could be life changing
4yrletterbear
Florda_mike

You are welcome anytime...we'll keep the light on.
riflebear
BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

Thanks for playing.
When did I ever say "it's nothing". I've been saying since the beginning we wouldn't be able to stop the spread in the U.S. no matter what we did. It's why I sold 25% of my portfolio back in mid Feb.

And I never said "he" can fix it - nice try

And my post above had nothing to do w/ everyone is going to die - it was saying it's going to spread regardless which means maybe less than 1% of those infected will die. The point since you can't listen or figure anything out is that w/ our youth going on Spring Break it doesn't matter how many quarantine it's going to spread if the millennials don't take it seriously which obviously most aren't.

I'm starting to figure you out - you don't read well or you just ignore facts and make up anything you want or you are a drop out Aggy and are just mentally unstable.
Canada2017
quash said:

curtpenn said:

quash said:

curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

We all have our quirks.

How will we know that?

Depends...are we comparing the productivity of dead men against the likes of James P. Allen , Michael W Young or Jimmy Carter ?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.