How well is Trump and his administration handling the Coronavirus epidemic?

69,431 Views | 843 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Booray
curtpenn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

No worse than yours or mine .
I don't believe you conduct yourself in the same manner as Trump conducts himself. I haven't seen that characteristic in your writings on this board. Surely, you see there is a difference.
We all have our quirks.

You and I waste time on a message board knowing full well our opinions have minimal impact on anyone else.

Trump is POTUS and making incredibly tough decisions that effect the entire world......every day .

Believe he has earned his quirks .
I respectfully disagree. His 'quircks' are manifestations of a serious personality disorder that dangerously determines how he makes decisions. That's why he couldn't recognize the magnitude and seriousness of this disease until it began to effect the economy, which has been his personal mantra for re-election. With the economy pulled out from under him, he pivoted, recognizing his only chance at re-election is to be seen as leading the effort in fighting the epidemic. It's very obvious.

With respect ...that's ridiculous . Trump closed air travel to China in January......Dems said he was xenophobic . Trump formed the C-19 task force....leftists said it was 'too white'.

The only thing that is obvious........the only solution to this viral nightmare would have been to close ALL international travel back in January along with closing ALL our borders.

An action you know would have NEVER been accepted by the American people.

Every thing else is just chatter.
Closing the border with China was the right thing to do, although I cynically believe, in part it conveniently fit with his trade war with China. That essentially is all he did for six weeks, when he should have embraced the German (which he doesn't like) made WHO test, in order to get ahead of this as South Korea has done. Instead, because of his personality disorder, he was dismissive and ignored the gravity of what this disease presents. The wrong kind of leadership you need in a crisis. With the right leadership we could be ahead of this and on the trajectory of South Korea, as opposed to trying to avoid the disaster Italy is facing.

Further, he's savaged and purged his advisors to the point that his 'quirks' leave him making poorly and inadequately informed decisions. All part of malignant naricissim. It's very likely he's making decisions without being fully and adequately informed.
So, Trump did the right thing but I believe for the wrong reason.... Okay, gotcha
Yes, unfortunately, that's the way he works in my opinion. My opinion of Trump's motives aside, he didn't go far enough after reducing travel with China, because he didn't appreciate the threat. That's why we're behind in addressing this here now, and faced with an overwhelmed health care system.
Seriously, how could we expect any government to get this 100% correct. Even now, as a 65 year old presumably at greater risk I'm more concerned about the financial fallout than the health issues. I think any rational person must struggle to balance those thoughts. Should we intentionally crater the economy at the expense of something that may, or may not, be any worse than common flu? Just very difficult to see forward with any clarity. And face it, those in charge are likely to be less well informed and/or lower in cognitive skills than many of us here. If we don't have an answer, why should we expect them to?
curtpenn
PartyBear said:

GruntTuff said:

Thank you Jackson Bear. So many have sold their souls to that devil and they have no concept of what they have done to their souls. What are they teaching young people? That truth and integrity do not matter. All that matters is to win, regardless of the cost.

Richard Nixon, a severely compromised human, introduced, supported and signed the first environmental legislation in this country, the National Environmental Policy Act. Now, for a Republican to support environment legislation makes him or her a pariah. The idea of government telling any of us what to do, to "regulate" our activities, is a four letter word.

So sad.
Dont be fooled. They are fine with government telling people what to do. They are fine with making a plague 50 times worse and economic collapse. They are fine with social unraveling. j They are fine with no products being on grocery store shelves. They are fine with $1000 checks sent to all adult Americans as some sort of solution. They are fine with all of these things as long as there is an R next to the name on ballot.
Stupid assertion. Full stop.
Jack Bauer
curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Germany has confirmed Trump tried to bribe scientists for exclusive use to the US.
Named or unnamed source? Tomorrow's headline, "Trump Tried To Buy Germany To Control All Of Europe." Ahhhh, the convenience of fiction.
It's in the article you didn't read.
Your right, I didn't waste my time. I'll wait for tomorrow's headlines. His taking over Germany will make interesting reading.

It literally cites sources in the German government.

It is refreshing to see you admit you didn't read. The fact the headline was all you read is EXACTLY my point.
Just wondering is there any rule, regulation, law, Constitutional problem, whatever that says Trump can't hire the best minds? The problem I see is optics. Question, what if he pulled it off and a cure for this deadly virus came about in a week? Instead of bashing his efforts, how about everyone pulling or pushing the wagon in the same direction. Personally, I don't care who gets the credit or how the cat is skinned, I care about results. If that hurts German feelings, tough. Political BS needs to be left at the door during this time of crisis. As for me, I appreciate all the efforts our leaders are doing. Finally, I would be disappointed if our Government, which includes Trump, weren't exploring all options. Hiring the best minds sounds like thinking outside-the-box. Something leaders do. So shall we push or pull the wagon? My glass is half full. Point COUNTER Point.

The point is that he is incompetent. If we succeed it will be IN SPITE of him, not because of him.

People like Rifle say he's perfect. He is not. And it is REALLY important to understand that. I don't care if he's a monster at this point. I care that he's not fit for the job. He's getting in the way of progress and response.

Rifle said he's doing a great job now.

Did you graduate H.S.?

I've NEVER said Trump was perfect - the complete opposite actually many times
I'm not saying he's doing a great job - I'm listening to LIBERAL governors (that you IGNORE) from California New York & Washington say Trump Pence & the Administration & their TASK force is doing a GOOD JOB and going above and beyond. How can you IGNORE that?

It's not my fault you have blinders on and can't read or refuse to listen to the facts or people on your side completely disagree w/ you who are actually have the facts. You are surpassing Cinque and others as some of the most uneducated and misinformed people to ever roam this site and spread lies that continue to be debunked.

Carry on though....

10 out of 10 is perfect.

You defended that.

Just shut up.
Always love how you misrepresent the positions of others then act like a 3 year old. Impressive.

I honestly thought BBL was 15 years old at first glance.
PartyBear
curtpenn said:

PartyBear said:

GruntTuff said:

Thank you Jackson Bear. So many have sold their souls to that devil and they have no concept of what they have done to their souls. What are they teaching young people? That truth and integrity do not matter. All that matters is to win, regardless of the cost.

Richard Nixon, a severely compromised human, introduced, supported and signed the first environmental legislation in this country, the National Environmental Policy Act. Now, for a Republican to support environment legislation makes him or her a pariah. The idea of government telling any of us what to do, to "regulate" our activities, is a four letter word.

So sad.
Dont be fooled. They are fine with government telling people what to do. They are fine with making a plague 50 times worse and economic collapse. They are fine with social unraveling. j They are fine with no products being on grocery store shelves. They are fine with $1000 checks sent to all adult Americans as some sort of solution. They are fine with all of these things as long as there is an R next to the name on ballot.
Make your case or make mine with these simple question. Have you turned on Trump? If not.
If all of this was happening under a Democrat along with the same exact solutions would you support that POTUS?
Canada2017
curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Germany has confirmed Trump tried to bribe scientists for exclusive use to the US.
Named or unnamed source? Tomorrow's headline, "Trump Tried To Buy Germany To Control All Of Europe." Ahhhh, the convenience of fiction.
Your right, I didn't waste my time. I'll wait for tomorrow's headlines. His taking over Germany will make interesting reading.

It is refreshing to see you admit you didn't read. The fact the headline was all you read is EXACTLY my point.
Just wondering is there any rule, regulation, law, Constitutional problem, whatever that says Trump can't hire the best minds? The problem I see is optics. Question, what if he pulled it off and a cure for this deadly virus came about in a week? Instead of bashing his efforts, how about everyone pulling or pushing the wagon in the same direction. Personally, I don't care who gets the credit or how the cat is skinned, I care about results. If that hurts German feelings, tough. Political BS needs to be left at the door during this time of crisis. As for me, I appreciate all the efforts our leaders are doing. Finally, I would be disappointed if our Government, which includes Trump, weren't exploring all options. Hiring the best minds sounds like thinking outside-the-box. Something leaders do. So shall we push or pull the wagon? My glass is half full. Point COUNTER Point.

The point is that he is incompetent. If we succeed it will be IN SPITE of him, not because of him.

People like Rifle say he's perfect. He is not. And it is REALLY important to understand that. I don't care if he's a monster at this point. I care that he's not fit for the job. He's getting in the way of progress and response.

Did you graduate H.S.?

I'm not saying he's doing a great job - I'm listening to LIBERAL governors (that you IGNORE) from California New York & Washington say Trump Pence & the Administration & their TASK force is doing a GOOD JOB and going above and beyond. How can you IGNORE that?

It's not my fault you have blinders on and can't read or refuse to listen to the facts or people on your side completely disagree w/ you who are actually have the facts. You are surpassing Cinque and others as some of the most uneducated and misinformed people to ever roam this site and spread lies that continue to be debunked.

Carry on though....

10 out of 10 is perfect.

You defended that.

Just shut up.
Always love how you misrepresent the positions of others then act like a 3 year old. Impressive.

Find it hard to believe this individual is in his 30's , much less a PhD candidate.

Posts read more like those of a pre adolescent.
Forest Bueller_bf
Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

I don't believe you conduct yourself in the same manner as Trump conducts himself. I haven't seen that characteristic in your writings on this board. Surely, you see there is a difference.
We all have our quirks.

You and I waste time on a message board knowing full well our opinions have minimal impact on anyone else.

Trump is POTUS and making incredibly tough decisions that effect the entire world......every day .

I respectfully disagree. His 'quircks' are manifestations of a serious personality disorder that dangerously determines how he makes decisions. That's why he couldn't recognize the magnitude and seriousness of this disease until it began to effect the economy, which has been his personal mantra for re-election. With the economy pulled out from under him, he pivoted, recognizing his only chance at re-election is to be seen as leading the effort in fighting the epidemic. It's very obvious.

With respect ...that's ridiculous . Trump closed air travel to China in January......Dems said he was xenophobic . Trump formed the C-19 task force....leftists said it was 'too white'.

The only thing that is obvious........the only solution to this viral nightmare would have been to close ALL international travel back in January along with closing ALL our borders.

The bolded is the only thing that would have had any chance to work, from the moment we knew of any cases getting worse in China.

International travel incoming or outgoing shut down immediately. No exceptions for American citizens. All Cruise Ships stay in harbor until all affected are resolved, both the southern and northern borders shut down. All international shipping shut down.

Even now seriously, every time I go to the grocery there are 100's of people gathered in one location. We really aren't self isolating. Very few to none had a mask, and the spread of germs continues.

The things it would have taken to stop this was never going to happen and is not happening right now, even though we have basically shut down regular society.

Time will tell how many of us get the serious version, before this virus works it's way through our entire population and then it has nowhere else to go.
Forest Bueller_bf
Canada2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Did you graduate H.S.?

Carry on though....

10 out of 10 is perfect.

You defended that.

Just shut up.

Find it hard to believe this individual is in his 30's , much less a PhD candidate.

My next door neighbors daughter, 36 years old, multiple advanced degrees, travels all over the globe, still living on parents dime, still not getting on with a career but continually being educated, behaves like a 13 years old interpersonally. Age and education do not mandate maturity.
Canada2017
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Canada2017 said:

curtpenn said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

CHP Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Did you graduate H.S.?

Carry on though....

10 out of 10 is perfect.

You defended that.

Just shut up.

My next door neighbors daughter, 36 years old, multiple advanced degrees, travels all over the globe, still living on parents dime, still not getting on with a career but continually being educated, behaves like a 13 years old interpersonally. Age and education do not mandate maturity.

Yes I've seen the same .

And no matter how much money and emotional support is provided....it is never enough .
TexasScientist
curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

We all have our quirks.

Closing the border with China was the right thing to do, although I cynically believe, in part it conveniently fit with his trade war with China. That essentially is all he did for six weeks, when he should have embraced the German (which he doesn't like) made WHO test, in order to get ahead of this as South Korea has done. Instead, because of his personality disorder, he was dismissive and ignored the gravity of what this disease presents. The wrong kind of leadership you need in a crisis. With the right leadership we could be ahead of this and on the trajectory of South Korea, as opposed to trying to avoid the disaster Italy is facing.

Further, he's savaged and purged his advisors to the point that his 'quirks' leave him making poorly and inadequately informed decisions. All part of malignant naricissim. It's very likely he's making decisions without being fully and adequately informed.
So, Trump did the right thing but I believe for the wrong reason.... Okay, gotcha
Yes, unfortunately, that's the way he works in my opinion. My opinion of Trump's motives aside, he didn't go far enough after reducing travel with China, because he didn't appreciate the threat. That's why we're behind in addressing this here now, and faced with an overwhelmed health care system.
Seriously, how could we expect any government to get this 100% correct. Even now, as a 65 year old presumably at greater risk I'm more concerned about the financial fallout than the health issues. I think any rational person must struggle to balance those thoughts. Should we intentionally crater the economy at the expense of something that may, or may not, be any worse than common flu? Just very difficult to see forward with any clarity. And face it, those in charge are likely to be less well informed and/or lower in cognitive skills than many of us here. If we don't have an answer, why should we expect them to?
I agree we can't expect government to get it 100% correct, and I agree with most of what you just said. However, we already know this is worse than influenza. Therefore, we need leaders who will take the advice of those who are well informed, as opposed to going on hunches.
Canada2017
TexasScientist said:

curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

We all have our quirks.

I agree we can't expect government to get it 100% correct, and I agree with most of what you just said. However, we already know this is worse than influenza. Therefore, we need leaders who will take the advice of those who are well informed, as opposed to going on hunches.

You are getting silly .

The president you hate is obviously acting upon the input of the medical experts .

curtpenn
PartyBear said:

curtpenn said:

PartyBear said:

GruntTuff said:

So sad.
Make your case or make mine with these simple question. Have you turned on Trump? If not.
If all of this was happening under a Democrat along with the same exact solutions would you support that POTUS?
"That which can be asserted with no evidence can be refuted with no evidence."

I think there is no way to know the outcomes of different paths/solutions beforehand. Further, regardless of which path we take, we can never know with certainty how effective the path actually was.
curtpenn
TexasScientist said:

curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

We all have our quirks.

Not saying you are wrong, just struggling with the notion that this is "worse than influenza". Probably because I have limited faith in scientists or "experts". Perfectly willing to admit I may be wrong.
Forest Bueller_bf
curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

We all have our quirks.

Every single government has made serious mistakes, this has spread everywhere. Even the ones getting it right now, just didn't get it right early enough.

Right now the economic impact of this is the worse affect, if the virus mutates and young folks start dying in large numbers, then I would feel the panic more, then I would be very worried about our children.
TexasScientist
Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

We all have our quirks.

You are getting silly .

The president you hate is obviously acting upon the input of the medical experts .

Now.
TexasScientist
curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

We all have our quirks.

Not saying you are wrong, just struggling with the notion that this is "worse than influenza". Probably because I have limited faith in scientists or "experts". Perfectly willing to admit I may be wrong.
Fair enough.
curtpenn
Forest Bueller_bf said:

curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

We all have our quirks.

Every single government has made serious mistakes, this has spread everywhere. Even the ones getting it right now, just didn't get it right early enough.

Right now the economic impact of this is the worse affect, if the virus mutates and young folks start dying in large numbers, then I would feel the panic more, then I would be very worried about our children.
This is pretty much where I am now. Our son's employer has sent everyone home nationwide for at least 2 weeks with pay (for now). Beyond that, who knows? Our son-in-law and daughter both work for the same company at corporate HQ. A high percentage of their staff is now working from home and they've been told to expect serious pay cuts if those goes on "too long". Seems hard to swallow if they face little personal health risk.
Jack Bauer
And one of MSMs biggest concerns is still POTUS calling it Chinese virus.
chriscbear
I would call it the Chinese communist party virus. Maybe that is more PC.
Jackson Bear
Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

We all have our quirks.

Totalitarians and dictators have quirks too (See the Politico article a few years at on "Dictator Chic). Some quirks are more harmful than others. I know people whose quirks have destroyed their lives.
Jackson Bear
HashTag said:

Wow, the wacky lefters (or lefter) is out in full force today.

Trump is the boogey man - BOO!
I am a Republican with an uncle on the Republican National Committee. Nothing left about me. Just a traditional Republican.
PartyBear
curtpenn said:

PartyBear said:

curtpenn said:

PartyBear said:

GruntTuff said:

So sad.

I think there is no way to know the outcomes of different paths/solutions beforehand. Further, regardless of which path we take, we can never know with certainty how effective the path actually was.
You completely avoided my 2 questions which were simple and so simple that the dodging of them is an answer.
curtpenn
PartyBear said:

curtpenn said:

PartyBear said:

curtpenn said:

PartyBear said:

GruntTuff said:

So sad.

You completely avoided my 2 questions which were simple and so simple that the dodging of them is an answer.
I haven't turned on Trump because I don't expect any government to actually have the correct answer in this situation. Same would apply to a Dem. Simple enough for a moron to understand.
PartyBear
You didnt say that. I however do not believe you to be frank about it that you would be supporting a Democrat in the WH under all of the same exact circumstances.
curtpenn
PartyBear said:

You didnt say that. I however do not believe you to be frank about it that you would be supporting a Democrat in the WH under all of the same exact circumstances.
Very difficult to measure how little I care what you believe about me. Just hoping we never have to find out what a Democrat would do in the WH. Haven't seen a candidate this year that isn't an existential threat to our country and liberty.
PartyBear
curtpenn said:

PartyBear said:

Very difficult to measure how little I care what you believe about me. Just hoping we never have to find out what a Democrat would do in the WH. Haven't seen a candidate this year that isn't an existential threat to our country and liberty.
You are voting for the one who is just because he has an R next to his name. My original point.
curtpenn
PartyBear said:

curtpenn said:

PartyBear said:

You are voting for the one who is just because he has an R next to his name. My original point.
No. Voting for the one who is not an enemy of our culture/nation/tribe/future, etc. Simple.
PartyBear
curtpenn said:

PartyBear said:

curtpenn said:

PartyBear said:

No. Voting for the one who is not an enemy of our culture/nation/tribe/future, etc. Simple.
The results show otherwise.
curtpenn
PartyBear said:

curtpenn said:

PartyBear said:

curtpenn said:

PartyBear said:

The results show otherwise.
Another stupid assertion. Apparently your specialty. Quelle surprise?
PartyBear
Coming from you this should be considered very complimentary.
Kyle
I am curious - I would genuinely like to know, but it always ends up in the same rabbit holes:
1. What has President Trump done specifically wrong?
2. What should he have done better?
3. What did previous president's do better?

TS - I started to read your article, but when the guy praised China for its response, I stopped. I am looking for facts not partisan hit jobs.
quash
curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

We all have our quirks.

Absent the measures we have taken the damage to the economy is worse if workers die than if they stay home for a while.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Canada2017
TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

We all have our quirks.

You are getting silly .

Now.

So Trump formed the C-19 task force back in February on a hunch right ?

No input from the medical community ........of course .
Jack Bauer
Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

We all have our quirks.

You are getting silly .

Now.

Actually it was late January.
Canada2017
Jack Bauer said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

curtpenn said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

We all have our quirks.

You are getting silly .

Now.

Actually it was late January.

Honestly.....blaming Trump for this is ridiculous.
Giving Trump 'credit ' for his actions in January is also ridiculous. Because it wasn't near enough .

Only a complete and total closure of our borders in January would have stood any chance of stopping the epidemic from reaching our country .

But anyone with a shred of honesty knows the American people would never have supported such a pre emptive action .

TexasScientist
Kyle said:

I am curious - I would genuinely like to know, but it always ends up in the same rabbit holes:
1. What has President Trump done specifically wrong?
2. What should he have done better?
3. What did previous president's do better?

TS - I started to read your article, but when the guy praised China for its response, I stopped. I am looking for facts not partisan hit jobs.
1. Dismissed and downplayed, for weeks, the threat as insignificant - Here is a chronology of Trump's dismissive narrative:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/opinion/trump-coronavirus.html

2. He should have recognized it was potentially a serious health problem, instead of treating it more as a personal public relations issue, and referendum on his performance. He should have followed advice and been forthright about the potential problem, He should have taken comprehensive steps recommended to address the problem, by implementing widespread testing, tracking, identifying, quarantining, and isolating, as information became available, in lieu of treating it as a public relations problem that he could talk around.

3. Not since the Spanish Flu has there been a comparable virus in terms of transmissibility, virulence, morbidity, and mortality. George W. Bush didn't put his political fortunes ahead of the country's.

You should have read a little further. China, despite a slow start and refusal to admit the problem, finally got on track and rapidly took action to slow the spread. South Korea has done a very good job by taking a comprehensive approach, something we could have done.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.