Texas now grapples with one of country's worst outbreaks

12,115 Views | 205 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by quash
TexasScientist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

C'mon November 3rd! We just gotta hang on til then.
Do you think the headline will be that HC cures it or just that there will be no more headlines about it? This is all based on my assumption that it disappears if the DEM nominee wins. I also think it will disappear if the REP nominee wins because there wont be a political enemy for the media to destroy either way, the election will simply be over.
It will still be around, just not most every minute of every day in the 24/7 news cycle. Covid will have to share the stage with cancer, heart disease, diabetes and all the other diseases we have battled for centuries. I think this happens, regardless of which candidate wins.
It's on track to exceed the cancer death rate, which will keep it in the forefront.
Doc Holliday
Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Username checks out said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Do you think the headline will be that HC cures it or just that there will be no more headlines about it? This is all based on my assumption that it disappears if the DEM nominee wins. I also think it will disappear if the REP nominee wins because there wont be a political enemy for the media to destroy either way, the election will simply be over.

His comment mimics the trumpist talking point, this whole thing is a hoax fabricated to help Democrats. It's really sad given the hundreds of thousands that have died and will continue to die. The tribalist mindset can't fathom a world bigger than the dominion of the tribe, neighbors be damned.
Covid-19 has killed .00038 percent of America's 330,000,000 people.

No doubt that Covid is real, it is just not that deadly. Sorry.

I think overall, our tribes are safe.
That number would be much larger we had not shut down.

That number would be smaller if we would socially distance and wear masks.

Trump undermined the lockdowns and the mask wearing and by example refuses to promote social distancing.
That number would be much smaller had China and the WHO not promoted relaxing precautions even in February.

We take their advice: For the two-year budget cycle of 2018 and 2019, the U.S. government pledged to contribute $893 million to WHO's budget.

You'd expect them to give us the correct answers.

They downplayed that the virus was human to human. All while they knew the results in China for months.

You're pointing the finger at POTUS who got the recommendations from who we pay for answers and they were wrong...purposely wrong.
We knew about human to human transmission well before Trump started undermining social distancing and mask wearing as well as tweeting about "Free Michigan."

All that is on him.

And the other 8 European countries doing way worse than us, it's on their leaders too?

Trump should have gone rogue from the scientific globalist community and pushed for extreme measures instantly when nobody else was doing so?
Several points here.

First, "Our World in Data" puts 8 European Co countries with a worse overall per capita death rate while Statista lists only 6 (https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/) Not sure why the difference.

Second, Belgium always has the worst stats. That is because it reports probably Covid deaths even when there was no confirmed tests. While Belgium's numbers are likely more accurate, including it in the comparison is not really correct.

Third, that means there are 5 developed, populous countries that definitively have fared worse than we have so far: England, Italy, Spain,. France and Sweden. What do those countries have in common? They either never embraced social distancing (Sweden); were late to embrace social distancing (England); or had a population that in the early days of exposure ignored government directives to social distance (Italy, France and Spain). But those countries were smart enough to learn from their mistakes. As a result they eventually got serious about fighting the virus. Almost like magic their statistics vastly improved. As a result there curves in terms of number of cases are relatively flattened while ours rises.

Fourth, we have the best healthcare system in the world, we should get some benefit for that in a cirsis like this compared to other countries.

We had the benefit of seeing what could happen because Europe got hit first. Rather than organizing a coordinated and focused national response, Trump offloaded most of the responsibility on governors then undermined any of them that did not appropriately prioritize economic recovery. When it became relatively clear that mask wearing would help, his own vanity prevented him from leading on the issue. He was cheerleader for early and aggressive re-opening, in essence begging us to emulate the mistakes the five listed countries made at the beginning of the outbreak. As a bonus he has used a time of crisis to further divide us.

This was going to be bad no matter what. But the confused, undisciplined govern by twitter response has made it far worse than it had to be. You can insert "globalist" into every sentence you type and it doesn't change things. Trump' s leadership on the issue has been horrific.

There are other factors: how many people flew from China to Europe vs the US?

You can't just look at one set of stats and call it a day. Everything is much more complex than that.

What we're seeing right now is more cases because we have the best testing. No spike in deaths. That's actually good signs that we're treating it well and catching it quickly.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

C'mon November 3rd!!!!
Seriously, what do you think is going to happen Nov. 3?
Covid won't be on TV any more, and therefore it won't be real.
You folks should quarantine at home until 2024. We will let you know when it is safe to come out again.
We will all be quarantining at home a lot longer because of guys like you, who flatly refuse to follow basic health guidleines in the short term so we can do what New Zealand did and shut the virus down.

This is an order of magnitude worse that not "believing in" climate change because the damage is immediately visible.

It'll be interesting to see if any of you listen as the likes of Mike Pence and governors of states with bad outbreaks continue to backpeddle because they've realized that political expediency--claiming the precautins recommended by public health professionals aren't really necessary--has backfired bigtime and outed them as putting their own personal short-term political gain, and boy the term was really short, ahead of the health and welfare of the people they were elected to govern.

I hope we have tribunals for some of these guys: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/06/here-are-governors-who-hurt-so-many-so-needlessly/

What basic health guidelines have I not followed? I wear my damn mask at the grocery store. I social distance. I am working from home which is not easy for an outside salesman. I have not been able to visit my 83-year old mother in her memory care facility in 3 months.

I am playing the game for now and doing my best to follow all of the constantly changing rules, but I promise you, will not be doing this forever. Not gonna happen.
Good. But you sound like a volcano that's about to erupt. We've done the same exact thing.

But lots of people haven't, and they've been aided and abetted by your governor, Gov. Ducey of Arizona, my governor and lots of others.
I sound like I am a volcano that is about to erupt because I want to live life like it was back in 2019? Ummmm.....okay.

All of this crap lost credibility with me when the media embraced and encouraged the marches and protests and all of a sudden masks and social distancing were no longer important. That just confirmed to me that none of this is about public safety.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Flaming Moderate
What's Texas' mortality rate vs. other states?
Wallace
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Good. But you sound like a volcano that's about to erupt. We've done the same exact thing.

But lots of people haven't, and they've been aided and abetted by your governor, Gov. Ducey of Arizona, my governor and lots of others.
I sound like I am a volcano that is about to erupt because I want to live life like it was back in 2019? Ummmm.....okay.

All of this crap lost credibility with me when the media embraced and encouraged the marches and protests and all of a sudden masks and social distancing were no longer important. That just confirmed to me that none of this is about public safety.
Fox News talking point.
Johnny Bear
Wallace said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Fox News talking point.
True talking point.
TexasScientist
br53 said:

br53 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

His comment mimics the trumpist talking point, this whole thing is a hoax fabricated to help Democrats. It's really sad given the hundreds of thousands that have died and will continue to die. The tribalist mindset can't fathom a world bigger than the dominion of the tribe, neighbors be damned.
What disease will the Chinese unleash on us next? I say it this way because it does not appear to be a virus that behaves in any fashion similar to "natural" viruses. Generally when it gets hot a natural virus will fade a little bit, slow down in terms of spread and also I have not read enough on it but there have been few mentions of it morphing or changing. Do you think it is a man made disease?

If you're going to make bat**** crazy claims about it being manufactured by Chinese, the onus is on you to provide non-circumstancial proof. So no, I haven't seen anything rigorous to suggest it is a man-made virus.
Not bat**** crazy. It is about science and I have read multiple articles that state it is a natural virus and multiple articles that state it was manufactured. For each scientist that says it is natural there is one that says it is manufactured. They both have their reasons but most credible scientists say it is natural and some say it is not and some in the Govt intelligence community say both. Depends on what you read. Just like everything with this virus. As soon as I read one article that says one thing, I read another that disputes that article.
I haven't seen any credible scientist saying it is manufactured. They all say the genetics don't support that it is man made. Some however speculate that it may have been studied in the Wuhan lab and it could have possibly escaped the lab by accident, which doesn't seem likely due to the security of the lab. Most seem to think it more plausible to have come from the wet market, jumping from animal to man through mutation, the way most viruses of this nature make it into the human population. Not all viruses die down in the summer, some do some don't. Obviously this one doesn't. Enteroviruses spread more easily in the summer. H5N1 only slows at best in the summer.
Booray
Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Trump undermined the lockdowns and the mask wearing and by example refuses to promote social distancing.
That number would be much smaller had China and the WHO not promoted relaxing precautions even in February.

We take their advice: For the two-year budget cycle of 2018 and 2019, the U.S. government pledged to contribute $893 million to WHO's budget.

They downplayed that the virus was human to human. All while they knew the results in China for months.

You're pointing the finger at POTUS who got the recommendations from who we pay for answers and they were wrong...purposely wrong.
We knew about human to human transmission well before Trump started undermining social distancing and mask wearing as well as tweeting about "Free Michigan."

All that is on him.

And the other 8 European countries doing way worse than us, it's on their leaders too?

Trump should have gone rogue from the scientific globalist community and pushed for extreme measures instantly when nobody else was doing so?
Several points here.

First, "Our World in Data" puts 8 European Co countries with a worse overall per capita death rate while Statista lists only 6 (https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/) Not sure why the difference.

Second, Belgium always has the worst stats. That is because it reports probably Covid deaths even when there was no confirmed tests. While Belgium's numbers are likely more accurate, including it in the comparison is not really correct.

Third, that means there are 5 developed, populous countries that definitively have fared worse than we have so far: England, Italy, Spain,. France and Sweden. What do those countries have in common? They either never embraced social distancing (Sweden); were late to embrace social distancing (England); or had a population that in the early days of exposure ignored government directives to social distance (Italy, France and Spain). But those countries were smart enough to learn from their mistakes. As a result they eventually got serious about fighting the virus. Almost like magic their statistics vastly improved. As a result there curves in terms of number of cases are relatively flattened while ours rises.

Fourth, we have the best healthcare system in the world, we should get some benefit for that in a cirsis like this compared to other countries.

We had the benefit of seeing what could happen because Europe got hit first. Rather than organizing a coordinated and focused national response, Trump offloaded most of the responsibility on governors then undermined any of them that did not appropriately prioritize economic recovery. When it became relatively clear that mask wearing would help, his own vanity prevented him from leading on the issue. He was cheerleader for early and aggressive re-opening, in essence begging us to emulate the mistakes the five listed countries made at the beginning of the outbreak. As a bonus he has used a time of crisis to further divide us.

This was going to be bad no matter what. But the confused, undisciplined govern by twitter response has made it far worse than it had to be. You can insert "globalist" into every sentence you type and it doesn't change things. Trump' s leadership on the issue has been horrific.

There are other factors: how many people flew from China to Europe vs the US?

You can't just look at one set of stats and call it a day. Everything is much more complex than that.

What we're seeing right now is more cases because we have the best testing. No spike in deaths. That's actually good signs that we're treating it well and catching it quickly.
What stats did you use to determine 8 European countries had a worse record than us? You looked at one Covid death per capita chart. When I explain why that stat is not the be all and end all you then say " Oh, don't depend on one stat." What a crock of BS you fill.

Johns Hopkins disagrees with you on the best testing thing:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/international-comparison.

We will see relatively son how the recent surge in case numbers impacts mortality, too early to make that a point of argument.

But mainly I have seen POTUS with my own eyes and ears. He is easily distracted, over promises and under delivers, worries way too much about his re-election, delegates to and relies on people who have no experience and refuses to accept responsibility for anything. He is a case study in poor leadership/

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
TexasScientist said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

It will still be around, just not most every minute of every day in the 24/7 news cycle. Covid will have to share the stage with cancer, heart disease, diabetes and all the other diseases we have battled for centuries. I think this happens, regardless of which candidate wins.
It's on track to exceed the cancer death rate, which will keep it in the forefront.
I believe there were over 600,000 cancer deaths in the U.S. last year. We've got quite a ways to go to get there.

-- Barack Obama
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Wallace said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Fox News talking point.
I wasn't watching FoxNews. I was watching NBC, CNN, and MSNBC.

Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies closer.

-- Barack Obama
Booray
Flaming Moderate said:

The ranking is upside down, because in a mortality analysis last should be first. But Texas is currently died for 37th.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/international-comparison

Generally the mortality rates closely track population density, which you can see if you use this chart with the first one:

even under this metric Texas looks pretty good, being the 26th most densely populated sate but being 37th in per capita deaths.

Lets hope it stays that way. The McLennan County death count has more than doubled in the past week-10 days.So things can change.
TexasScientist
Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

POTUS advisors, Peter Navarro et al, advised him of the danger early on January and he chose to ignore them to avoid interfering with his trade deal. He is doing the same now.
Booray
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

TexasScientist said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I believe there were over 600,000 cancer deaths in the U.S. last year. We've got quite a ways to go to get there.
Heart disease and cancer each are at that amount:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm

But in all likelihood, Covid 19 will be the third-leading cause of death in the United States for 2020.
Johnny Bear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Well stated and you're also correct that the hair on fire MSM hysteria about Covid will likely either end or at least be greatly diminished after November 3rd - regardless of what is happening with the number of confirmed cases and the number of deaths, etc. If Trump wins, the MSM will view all of the panicked hysteria as just another in a long list of failed schemes, failed fraudulent investigations and failed bogus "scandals" targeted at prematurely ending Trump's Presidency and they'll be on to whatever the next "gotcha thing" is designed to prematurely end his second term. If Biden wins, the MSM will initially congratulate themselves on "mission accomplished" and then end all the Covid hype because they'll need to clear the deck for Biden's Presidency - after all, he can't have something like a severe pandemic hanging over him, especially in his impaired condition.

Either way, it's a goner as far as a major non-stop 24/7 MSM story thereafter.
TexasScientist
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

It is that deadly, and it comes with a high comorbidity. It takes at least 70% infection of the population to get to herd immunity. That's 231 million people in the US. If the death rate is only .005 that is well over 1 million deaths.

Your math is irrelevant and meaningless. Only 2,922,000 have been infected with 130,000 deaths. That's 4.4%. The remaining 227 million +/- have not been infected yet.
Flaming Moderate
Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

The ranking is upside down, because in a mortality analysis last should be first. But Texas is currently died for 37th.

Generally the mortality rates closely track population density, which you can see if you use this chart with the first one:

even under this metric Texas looks pretty good, being the 26th most densely populated sate but being 37th in per capita deaths.

Lets hope it stays that way. The McLennan County death count has more than doubled in the past week-10 days.So things can change.
How does our currently total deaths compare to a bad flu season?
TexasScientist
Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

All that is on him.

The EU has a higher population and their numbers are better than ours in terms of death rate, and the curve has been flattened there while ours is skyrocketing. They followed the protocols and have it under control. We essentially gave lip service and a half a##ed attempt at Trump's encouragement. The failed response or lack there of is all on him, and he'll take down the Republican Party with him in November.
Booray
Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

How does our currently total deaths compare to a bad flu season?
By "our" do you mean Texas or the US?
Whiskey Pete
Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

All that is on him.

Yeah, sure thing... scooter. Evil Trump tweeted and got the country sick.

TexasScientist
Johnny Bear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Well stated and you're also correct that the hair on fire MSM hysteria about Covid will likely either end or at least be greatly diminished after November 3rd - regardless of what is happening with the number of confirmed cases and the number of deaths, etc. If Trump wins, the MSM will view all of the panicked hysteria as just another in a long list of failed schemes, failed fraudulent investigations and failed bogus "scandals" targeted at prematurely ending Trump's Presidency and they'll be on to whatever the next "gotcha thing" is designed to prematurely end his second term. If Biden wins, the MSM will initially congratulate themselves on "mission accomplished" and then end all the Covid hype because they'll need to clear the deck for Biden's Presidency - after all, he can't have something like a severe pandemic hanging over him, especially in his impaired condition.

Either way, it's a goner as far as a major non-stop 24/7 MSM story thereafter.
It won't go away because it is not political. The sad thing is another more deadly novel virus could come along on top of this, and we will be no better prepared for that one than we are this one. That is a political issue.
TexasScientist
Flaming Moderate said:

That's not a good comparison, unless the state has the same number of cases, because of the lag time. States were not uniformly infected at the same time.
Doc Holliday
TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

All that is on him.

The EU has a higher population and their numbers are better than ours in terms of death rate, and the curve has been flattened there while ours is skyrocketing. They followed the protocols and have it under control. We essentially gave lip service and a half a##ed attempt at Trump's encouragement. The failed response or lack there of is all on him, and he'll take down the Republican Party with him in November.
Their numbers aren't better than ours.
Booray
HashTag said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

All that is on him.

How do you know when you have won an argument with a Trumpkin? The meme appears.

Again, Covid 19 is not trump's fault. We were going to have serious problems with it no matter who was in the White House. None of that excuses his inept performance.
TexasScientist
HashTag said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

All that is on him.

Exactly. He tweeted and tried to ignore it hoping it wouldn't impact the economy he was counting on for reelection. Instead of trying talk and BS it away, he should have been leading us through this, which would have carried him to reelection, but he is to much of a narcissist to get that.
Canada2017
Who cares about 'talking points ' or a news channel or a freaking football season ?

It's been months now ....WAKE UP.

The worst pandemic in over a century is in our midst .

It's not about politics or 'winning' an internet argument
( which never happens ).

It's about staying isolated as much as possible, wear a damn mask when out of the house , save your cash however you can and use social distancing.

Ask Limited how this virus affected him .

Learn something .
Doc Holliday
Booray said:

HashTag said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

All that is on him.

How do you know when you have won an argument with a Trumpkin? The meme appears.

Again, Covid 19 is not trump's fault. We were going to have serious problems with it no matter who was in the White House. None of that excuses his inept performance.
That's not a meme.
Sam Lowry
Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

All that is on him.

Several points here.

What we're seeing right now is more cases because we have the best testing.
Not true.
Doc Holliday
We don't have the most/best testing?
4th and Inches
cinque said:

The White House issued a list of COVID benchmarks that would need to be met before municipalities could safely reopen their economies. Texas met none of those benchmarks and rushed to open anyway.

Why is anybody surprised that COVID cases are exploding here?

Nobody is surprised, better question is why is everyone alarmed? If you follow common sense recommendations then your risk is low. And so far we havent sent elderly sick back to nursing homes to spread like wildfire...

I am an essential worker who is out there every day. My risk is high because of number of contacts in public but my risk is low because i use common sense. Some days it seems that common sense is a super power.

Sanitize, social distance, and wear a mask.
Whiskey Pete
Booray said:

HashTag said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

All that is on him.

Congratulations on "winning". I'll send you a blue ribbon that you can pin to your bedroom wall in your parent's basement.
Sam Lowry
Doc Holliday said:

We don't have the most/best testing?
The positivity rate indicates that the increase in cases is not just a result of more testing.
Whiskey Pete
TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

All that is on him.

Exactly. He tweeted and tried to ignore it hoping it wouldn't impact the economy he was counting on for reelection. Instead of trying talk and BS it away, he should have been leading us through this, which would have carried him to reelection, but he is to much of a narcissist to get that.
Gotcha.... so Trump lied and people died.

Still voting for him in a few months.

Trump 2020
Stranger
Texas has 91 deaths per million people.

That's .000091 of a million souls.
Gold Tron
TexasScientist said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

It is that deadly, and it comes with a high comorbidity. It takes at least 70% infection of the population to get to herd immunity. That's 231 million people in the US. If the death rate is only .005 that is well over 1 million deaths.

Your math is irrelevant and meaningless. Only 2,922,000 have been infected with 130,000 deaths. That's 4.4%. The remaining 227 million +/- have not been infected yet.

You're a moron. We have at least 10 people infected for every person that has tested positive.
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
Booray
Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

You're a moron. We have at least 10 people infected for every person that has tested positive.
That makes it a 0,44% mortality rate. If you get herd immunity at 227 million people, to get there, you have 227,000,000 x .0044=998,000 deaths. (Actual that is for 9 for every one infected).You might note that TS estimated the death rate at 0.5% rather than at the 4.4% that comes from the case mortality rate.

So maybe not such a moron?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.