Texas now grapples with one of country's worst outbreaks

12,100 Views | 205 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by quash
ATL Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

What's Texas' current death rate? How does it compare to the flu? How does it compare to other states for Wuhan virus?
Just under 2700 deaths. Rate is 93/million population.
So we cancelled the State Fair when we have > 7,000 deaths to go to reach a bad influenza season? We're smart.
I think you mean 700?
Whut?
If I weren't so mad at Abbott and his stupid constituents, this telling post would have made me laugh.
Abbott has 29 million constituents. Why exactly are they stupid? Thanks in advance.
Abbott followed Trump instead of public health experts. Now Texas will have more cases, more deaths and more economic damage. You can try to put a positive spin on that now. I'll be interested to see how long you can sustain the gaslighting about what's happening in Texas, and what the talking-point excuses for more cases and deaths will be.

The only silver lining-and it's a tarnished one-is that maybe people will vote out Trump and some of the state leaders, both governors and mayors, who wouldn't listen to public health experts and work together to reduce the number of deaths. And even that's a big question, as a large number of people are willing to accept obviously false narratives and excuses rather than admit that they, the media they consume and the leaders they support are wrong.
Death isn't increasing.
Death isn't increasing because it lags behind, taking as long as four to six weeks of suffering for someone to succumb to the virus. Death rate will begin to go up in a few weeks. Surely you understand that.
The bolded is categorically false. We have only had a single patient that required more than two weeks of ventilation before declaring themselves one way or the other.
Wrong. Nick Cordero suffered for over a month before he died. Read what I wrote that you bolded. I said as long as. Some people die much sooner. The evidence is abundantly clear that death rate lags behind infection rate and hospitalization.
Deaths have decoupled from cases, and the data shows it. Yes, deaths lag positive diagnosis, but the death rate has been declining for almost 2 months. It's most visible in the graphs below. First image is the US, and second is Texas. It's likely due to more positives in the "survivor" age range, and we're better at treatment. Another factor could be that the virus is weakening.

Booray
10,000 more cases today with 98 deaths after 60 deaths yesterday. Trend is ugly.

But it seems like people are back to trying to contain this by and large. We might see things start to subside in 3-4 weeks.
Booray
Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

What's Texas' current death rate? How does it compare to the flu? How does it compare to other states for Wuhan virus?

So we cancelled the State Fair when we have > 7,000 deaths to go to reach a bad influenza season? We're smart.
I think you mean 700?

Whut?
How are you measuring a "bad flu season?" CDC reports an average of about 3400 Texas deaths from the flu each year. Because we are at about 2700 covid deaths I assumed you meant we were 700 deaths or more away from a "bad flu season."

~10K Texans died in 2018 flu season. Why didn't we shut down the State Fair?
To start with, because the State Fair does not happen during flu season. As we are learning, there does not appear to be a "Covid Season." To add on, the facts that the flu was less contagious, had a vaccine and a known treatment, meant that the risk of materially increasing the number of deaths by having the fair was negligible. Not so for Covid.

It is simply amazing to see bright people fail to accept basic science.

If one wants to argue that reviving economy is more important than saving the hundreds of thousands of lives that would be lost by ignoring the virus, go ahead and do it. (And explain why you think people will still be going out as hundreds of thousands of people are dying). But pretending we can just return to normal without a staggering human cost is just wishful thinking.
Sam Lowry
Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?
If I weren't so mad at Abbott and his stupid constituents, this telling post would have made me laugh.
Abbott has 29 million constituents. Why exactly are they stupid? Thanks in advance.
Abbott followed Trump instead of public health experts. Now Texas will have more cases, more deaths and more economic damage. You can try to put a positive spin on that now. I'll be interested to see how long you can sustain the gaslighting about what's happening in Texas, and what the talking-point excuses for more cases and deaths will be.

The only silver lining-and it's a tarnished one-is that maybe people will vote out Trump and some of the state leaders, both governors and mayors, who wouldn't listen to public health experts and work together to reduce the number of deaths. And even that's a big question, as a large number of people are willing to accept obviously false narratives and excuses rather than admit that they, the media they consume and the leaders they support are wrong.
Death isn't increasing.
Death isn't increasing because it lags behind, taking as long as four to six weeks of suffering for someone to succumb to the virus. Death rate will begin to go up in a few weeks. Surely you understand that.
The bolded is categorically false. We have only had a single patient that required more than two weeks of ventilation before declaring themselves one way or the other.
Wrong. Nick Cordero suffered for over a month before he died. Read what I wrote that you bolded. I said as long as. Some people die much sooner. The evidence is abundantly clear that death rate lags behind infection rate and hospitalization.
I have taken care of more than 50 Covid + patients personally, half of them on a vent, but I am sure you know more.
They don't go on a vent the same day they're exposed. The whole process can take many weeks.
bear2be2
Booray said:

10,000 more cases today with 98 deaths after 60 deaths yesterday. Trend is ugly.

But it seems like people are back to trying to contain this by and large. We might see things start to subside in 3-4 weeks.
That's my hope. That this spike will serve as the wake-up call we need to get back ahead of this virus and mitigate its damage. My fear is that we'll continue to argue the severity of the threat, get complacent and prolong the impact of this outbreak.

If we don't learn from our past mistakes/successes, we're going to watch this thing spiral out of control here like it did in the northeast/midwest.
Gold Tron
Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
I have taken care of more than 50 Covid + patients personally, half of them on a vent, but I am sure you know more.
They don't go on a vent the same day they're exposed. The whole process can take many weeks.
You are correct. We try early proning with nasal cannula first. It has been my experience that 4-6 weeks is significantly longer than any of our patients have needed to leave the hospital one way or the other. Tell me about your patients.
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
4th and Inches
Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
did you just tell a doctor who does this for a living how this process works? Wow...
ATL Bear
Booray said:

Texas has been tracking case levels similar to NY for 3 weeks now, but the death rate continues to be way below those trends. I think we forget NY was between 400 and 1000 deaths per day for nearly 2 months.
blackie
ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

Texas has been tracking case levels similar to NY for 3 weeks now, but the death rate continues to be way below those trends. I think we forget NY was between 400 and 1000 deaths per day for nearly 2 months.
We should now know more about the virus and while there is no consistent cure, we should be at least treating it better which could result in a lower death rate of those needing hospitalization. At least I hope so. The doctors in NY were shooting in the dark to some extent. Regardless of the death rate, what we don't know is how many (percentage wise) people's health is screwed for the remainder of their lives even though they "recovered" because the damage the virus did to their body.
ATL Bear
blackie said:

ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

We should now know more about the virus and while there is no consistent cure, we should be at least treating it better which could result in a lower death rate of those needing hospitalization. At least I hope so. The doctors in NY were shooting in the dark to some extent. Regardless of the death rate, what we don't know is how many (percentage wise) people's health is screwed for the remainder of their lives even though they "recovered" because the damage the virus did to their body.
We actually have a pretty good grasp on that too. I've read and been told that what "screws"
people for the rest of their lives are those who have extreme resistance reaction within their immune system.
TexasScientist
Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
did you just tell a doctor who does this for a living how this process works? Wow...
Don't know if he is a doctor, but they need to get him out of the ICU with that attitude. Incompetent doctors are sued all the time.
TexasScientist
Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
It was the second day in a row that U.S. deaths climbed by more than 900 in a day, the highest levels seen since early June, according to the tally.
https://news.trust.org/item/20200709004308-v2n88
bear2be2
TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
It was the second day in a row that U.S. deaths climbed by more than 900 in a day, the highest levels seen since early June, according to the tally.
https://news.trust.org/item/20200709004308-v2n88

Texas has had three of its four highest single-day death totals in the past three days. Unfortunately, this death rate talking point is going to age about as well as the right's others have. And even more unfortunate is the fact that that data won't change anyone's opinion of this virus and the threat it poses if uncontrolled.
Gold Tron
TexasScientist said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
Don't know if he is a doctor, but they need to get him out of the ICU with that attitude. Incompetent doctors are sued all the time.

Your funny. Some of the best surgeons I know are arrogant a-holes. Do you go to them for their skill or their personality?
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
Whiskey Pete
TexasScientist said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
Did you just really call him an incompetent doctor? I bet you really believe you're the smartest one in the room wherever you go; a real internet genius, a real clown.

D. C. Bear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

C'mon November 3rd!!!!
Seriously, what do you think is going to happen Nov. 3?
Covid won't be on TV any more, and therefore it won't be real.
You folks should quarantine at home until 2024. We will let you know when it is safe to come out again.
We will all be quarantining at home a lot longer because of guys like you, who flatly refuse to follow basic health guidleines in the short term so we can do what New Zealand did and shut the virus down.

This is an order of magnitude worse that not "believing in" climate change because the damage is immediately visible.

It'll be interesting to see if any of you listen as the likes of Mike Pence and governors of states with bad outbreaks continue to backpeddle because they've realized that political expediency--claiming the precautins recommended by public health professionals aren't really necessary--has backfired bigtime and outed them as putting their own personal short-term political gain, and boy the term was really short, ahead of the health and welfare of the people they were elected to govern.

I hope we have tribunals for some of these guys: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/06/here-are-governors-who-hurt-so-many-so-needlessly/

What basic health guidelines have I not followed? I wear my damn mask at the grocery store. I social distance. I am working from home which is not easy for an outside salesman. I have not been able to visit my 83-year old mother in her memory care facility in 3 months.

I am playing the game for now and doing my best to follow all of the constantly changing rules, but I promise you, will not be doing this forever. Not gonna happen.
Good. But you sound like a volcano that's about to erupt. We've done the same exact thing.

But lots of people haven't, and they've been aided and abetted by your governor, Gov. Ducey of Arizona, my governor and lots of others.
I sound like I am a volcano that is about to erupt because I want to live life like it was back in 2019? Ummmm.....okay.

All of this crap lost credibility with me when the media embraced and encouraged the marches and protests and all of a sudden masks and social distancing were no longer important. That just confirmed to me that none of this is about public safety.

Just because the media is hypocritical does not mean that the pandemic isn't what it is.
TexasScientist
Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.

Your funny. Some of the best surgeons I know are arrogant a-holes. Do you go to them for their skill or their personality?
Unfortunately, some doctors don't always know what they are talking about. I wouldn't go to an arrogant a-hole though because in their hubris, they're likely to be the one to screw up and then deny or cover it up. I had an internal medicine doctor once tell me that diabetes (type 2) was incurable.
TexasScientist
HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
Did you just really call him an incompetent doctor? I bet you really believe you're the smartest one in the room wherever you go; a real internet genius, a real clown.

I didn't call him a doctor because he doesn't say he's a doctor. I made a statement about his attitude not mixing well in and ICU. I then made a general comment about incompetent doctors. They do exist.
D. C. Bear
TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.

I didn't call him a doctor because he doesn't say he's a doctor. I made a statement about his attitude not mixing well in and ICU. I then made a general comment about incompetent doctors. They do exist.

Rule number one for when you find yourself in a hole:
Stop digging.
Sam Lowry
Gold Tron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
You are correct. We try early proning with nasal cannula first. It has been my experience that 4-6 weeks is significantly longer than any of our patients have needed to leave the hospital one way or the other. Tell me about your patients.
I'm sure you're doing a good job with your patients, and I hope you'll continue. The illness is believed to last from two to ten weeks, so there is likely to be a lag between case count and death count.
Flaming Moderate
https://ibb.co/f2sfDHm
Flaming Moderate
[img][url=https://ibb.co/f2sfDHm][/url] image upload[/img]
bear2be2
Flaming Moderate said:

This chart has a lot more to do with timing than anything. The northeast and midwest were hit first, so all of their numbers are higher. The south and southwest will be catching up shortly.

This virus doesn't give a **** about political affiliation. Once your population is hit, it sits on you for about a month and does what it does. The only limiting factor here is density.
4th and Inches
TexasScientist said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
lol, get a refund on who taught your reading comprehension class... he has been talking all over this site for months about his work with COVID patients. He doesnt push an agenda, he tells what he sees...

FYI, most doctors who get sued are sued for other reasons than competency...
TexasScientist
ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
Deaths have decoupled from cases, and the data shows it. Yes, deaths lag positive diagnosis, but the death rate has been declining for almost 2 months. It's most visible in the graphs below. First image is the US, and second is Texas. It's likely due to more positives in the "survivor" age range, and we're better at treatment. Another factor could be that the virus is weakening.

What you say is true, but the current death rate is irrelevant to the current spike in new cases. Death rate will increase as a result. Yes, it may be dampened by the age group, but it will go up. The other consideration is the long term morbidity that is showing up in many of those who survive.
TexasScientist
Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?

Whut?
How are you measuring a "bad flu season?" CDC reports an average of about 3400 Texas deaths from the flu each year. Because we are at about 2700 covid deaths I assumed you meant we were 700 deaths or more away from a "bad flu season."

~10K Texans died in 2018 flu season. Why didn't we shut down the State Fair?
To start with, because the State Fair does not happen during flu season. As we are learning, there does not appear to be a "Covid Season." To add on, the facts that the flu was less contagious, had a vaccine and a known treatment, meant that the rick of materially increasing the number of deaths by having the fair was negligible. Not so for Covid.

It is simply amazing to see bright people fail to accept basic science.

If one wants to argue that reviving economy is more important than saving the hundreds of thousands of lives that would be lost by ignoring the virus, go ahead and do it. (And explain why you think people will still be going out as hundreds of thousands of people are dying). But pretending we can just return to normal without a staggering human cost is just wishful thinking.
Well said.
TexasScientist
D. C. Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

HashTag said:

TexasScientist said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.

Rule number one for when you find yourself in a hole:
Stop digging.
Rule number two: read what is said.
TexasScientist
Flaming Moderate said:

The problem here is not all states or on the same Covid time line. Texas for instance is just now seeing significant Covid spread.
TexasScientist
Gruvin said:

TexasScientist said:

Gruvin said:

Sam Lowry said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
lol, get a refund on who taught your reading comprehension class... he has been talking all over this site for months about his work with COVID patients. He doesnt push an agenda, he tells what he sees...

FYI, most doctors who get sued are sued for other reasons than competency...
I'm glad you have time to read all over this site for months. Thanks for keeping me informed.
Waco1947
Without arguments over death rates there are suffering rates. That is people survive but only after great suffering.
Canada2017
Jinx 2 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jinx 2 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Yeah, it would be much smarter to wait and cancel it after everyone's dead.
"everyone's dead"

Well, that will eventually be true, but well over 99% of them will not have died from covid.
More than 40% of COVID deaths are occurring in nursing homes.

The one where my mother-in-law lives in Dallas just had their first case.

She's 89, frail and already has a chronic cough.

Maybe her life doesn't mean enough to you to take public health precautions, but it means a lot to us.

Now would be a good time for you to shut up about how few people will die from COVID when, thanks to voters like you, Abbott opened up too soon, with the predictable results you're now seeing.
Yes, a large % of the covid deaths are happening in nursing homes. The largest #s happened in blue states during lockdowns. But I'm glad you can find sufficient people to blame for virus-caused deaths and deaths that haven't even happened yet. Hope it helps you with those anger issues.

Do you go to church every Sunday and feel like you belong there?
Says the atheist who only goes to church because she enjoys the choir .

You are, without a doubt, the biggest hypocrite on this board .

ATL Bear
TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.

What you say is true, but the current death rate is irrelevant to the current spike in new cases. Death rate will increase as a result. Yes, it may be dampened by the age group, but it will go up. The other consideration is the long term morbidity that is showing up in many of those who survive.
Lower death rates and naturally developed antibodies means more survivability in the present and future. I'm not arguing for throwing caution to the wind, but this is a good thing since vaccines are unlikely to be the panacea we expect if possible at all.
Booray
ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.

Lower death rates and naturally developed antibodies means more survivability in the present and future. I'm not arguing for throwing caution to the wind, but this is a good thing since vaccines are unlikely to be the panacea we expect if possible at all.
I am more hopeful that the more we understand the disease, the better the treatment and prevention of spread gets. If you test a lot, catch most cases early and have good treatment regimes, we can get back pretty close to normal. Similarly, we will know more about the efficacy of air filters, UV light, etc. in preventing spread.
ATL Bear
Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.

I am more hopeful that the more we understand the disease, the better the treatment and prevention gets. If you test a lot, catch most cases early and have good treatment regimes, we can get back pretty close to normal. Similarly, we will know more about the efficacy of air filters, UV light, etc. in preventing spread.
I agree with you. And as crazy as it sounds, I think we're closer to this than people are willing to acknowledge. I think these spikes will help to affirm that (I hope). The Spanish Flu eventually morphed into one of our H1N1 type seasonal flus, so I'm hopeful Covid will do the same and become a regular virus most of our bodies are capable of fighting off, but similar to the flu we'll likely always be stuck with some fatalities.
Booray
ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.

I am more hopeful that the more we understand the disease, the better the treatment and prevention gets. If you test a lot, catch most cases early and have good treatment regimes, we can get back pretty close to normal. Similarly, we will know more about the efficacy of air filters, UV light, etc. in preventing spread.
I agree with you. And as crazy as it sounds, I think we're closer to this than people are willing to acknowledge. I think these spikes will help to affirm that (I hope). The Spanish Flu eventually morphed into one of our H1N1 type seasonal flus, so I'm hopeful Covid will do the same and become a regular virus most of our bodies are capable of fighting off, but similar to the flu we'll likely always be stuck with some fatalities.
One of the disconnects of this being such a big media event is that people like the drama. Their focus is on the climatic scene where the hero scientist delivers the vaccine just in time to save Christmas. The truth is that wars are won by attrition in much smaller battles. Like you, I am seeing incremental reasons for optimism in the short to medium term.

It would also help if we would get the focus of the overall death toll. The relevant question is how many people died over the past two weeks, not who dies 4 months ago. The White House's lack of message discipline is not doing its occupant or us any favors on that score.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.