Texas now grapples with one of country's worst outbreaks

12,094 Views | 205 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by quash
Flaming Moderate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

What's Texas' current death rate? How does it compare to the flu? How does it compare to other states for Wuhan virus?

Just under 2700 deaths. Rate is 93/million population.
So we cancelled the State Fair when we have > 7,000 deaths to go to reach a bad influenza season? We're smart.
I think you mean 700?

Whut?
4th and Inches
Jinx 2 said:

Gruvin said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

What's Texas' current death rate? How does it compare to the flu? How does it compare to other states for Wuhan virus?

So we cancelled the State Fair when we have > 7,000 deaths to go to reach a bad influenza season? We're smart.
First case at my mother-in-law's nursing care facility in Dallas.

She's bedridden and we haven't seen her since February. My b- and s-in-law who live in Dallas haven't een her since the lock-down in March.

If you guys had flattened the curve insead of letting Trump override the strong recommendations of public health policy makers, we might be coming out the other end by now.

You're all hothead flaming and no "moderate." Can you just give the B.S. about how much more important the economy is than old people a rest right now?
nope, too many people who think that their civil liberty to not wear a mask and social distance is more important than doing the right thing. It would not matter how many lock down orders or whatever the government and CDC recommend,
And why is that? One big reason is the example set by Trump and by governors like Abbott and Ducey.
nope, I don't believe that is the case at all. My decision to wear a mask has absolutely nothing to do with those people say and do. I use a general element of common sense that says I can't spread it to others easily if I'm wearing a mask and other people can't spread it to me easily if they're wearing a mask plus if I wash my hands/sanitize often touched items and don't touch my face then I'm in a low risk category. Blaming others is for the weak minded.
Whiskey Pete
Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

First case at my mother-in-law's nursing care facility in Dallas.

She's bedridden and we haven't seen her since February. My b- and s-in-law who live in Dallas haven't een her since the lock-down in March.

If you guys had flattened the curve insead of letting Trump override the strong recommendations of public health policy makers, we might be coming out the other end by now.

You're all hothead flaming and no "moderate." Can you just give the B.S. about how much more important the economy is than old people a rest right now?
The curve was flattened and hospitals weren't overrun, but keep spreading misinformation... you're good for it
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Yeah, it would be much smarter to wait and cancel it after everyone's dead.
"everyone's dead"

Well, that will eventually be true, but well over 99% of them will not have died from covid.
1% of Americans is over 3 million people. You talk about deaths that haven't happened yet. The whole point of pandemic response is to act before those deaths happen. Otherwise what good does it do?
Booray
Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?

Whut?
How are you measuring a "bad flu season?" CDC reports an average of about 3400 Texas deaths from the flu each year. Because we are at about 2700 covid deaths I assumed you meant we were 700 deaths or more away from a "bad flu season."
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"everyone's dead"

Well, that will eventually be true, but well over 99% of them will not have died from covid.
1% of Americans is over 3 million people. You talk about deaths that haven't happened yet. The whole point of pandemic response is to act before those deaths happen. Otherwise what good does it do?

You missed the well over pet?

Heck a minute ago you were at everyone.
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"everyone's dead"

The issue isn't that more deaths haven't happened. It's that you don't think they're going to happen. If you have an argument better than the flat-earther stuff that most people have been posting, let's hear it. But let's not waste bandwidth pretending this pandemic doesn't develop over time.
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"everyone's dead"

The issue isn't that more deaths haven't happened. It's that you don't think they're going to happen. If you have an argument better than the flat-earther stuff that most people have been posting, let's hear it. But let's not waste bandwidth pretending this pandemic doesn't develop over time.
I never said more deaths won't happen. Quite the opposite, including on this thread.

You said something ridiculous about waiting until "everyone is dead." I pointed out how silly it was, and now you're just spinning strawman in some vain attempt to win a non-argument.
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"everyone's dead"

I never said more deaths won't happen. Quite the opposite, including on this thread.

You said something ridiculous about waiting until "everyone is dead." I pointed out how silly it was, and now you're just spinning strawman in some vain attempt to win a non-argument.
You're being too literal. "Everyone" refers to all the dead, not to every actual person in the world.
GoneGirl
Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?
If I weren't so mad at Abbott and his stupid constituents, this telling post would have made me laugh.
GoneGirl
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"everyone's dead"

700, 7000, what's the difference? Trump doesn't care. So neither do these guys.
Flaming Moderate
Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?

Whut?
How are you measuring a "bad flu season?" CDC reports an average of about 3400 Texas deaths from the flu each year. Because we are at about 2700 covid deaths I assumed you meant we were 700 deaths or more away from a "bad flu season."

~10K Texans died in 2018 flu season. Why didn't we shut down the State Fair?
Flaming Moderate
Jinx 2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"everyone's dead"

How many Texas black babies did you cheer getting aborted this year? Can't let them get too uppity.
Robert Wilson
Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?

Whut?

~10K Texans died in 2018 flu season. Why didn't we shut down the State Fair?

It's only this year that tolerating any human death (inevitable though it may be) at any cost of other human life or endeavor made you a horrible person. We used to call that living.
cinque
Flaming Moderate said:

Jinx 2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"everyone's dead"

How many Texas black babies did you cheer getting aborted this year? Can't let them get too uppity.
You cons have lost the right to play the pro life card ever since you made it clear you have no problem with old people dying to resurrect the economy.
Flaming Moderate
cinque said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Jinx 2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"everyone's dead"

You cons have lost the right to play the pro life card ever since you made it clear you have no problem with old people dying to resurrect the economy.
You Uncle Toms love killing black babies by "doctor" or firearm.
GrowlTowel
cinque said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Jinx 2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"everyone's dead"

Made it clear? You accused Bob Dole of pushing old people off of cliffs in 1996.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
cinque
Flaming Moderate said:

cinque said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Jinx 2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"everyone's dead"

You Uncle Toms love killing black babies by "doctor" or firearm.
You need to do some reading on the historical Uncle Tom. It will help you not appear so completely ignorant.
Forest Bueller
cinque said:

Canada says hi.
Canada has lost 230 lives per million.

Texas has lost 97 lives per million.

If the subject is the Texas outbreak, so far at least, we are faring better than Canada.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?
If I weren't so mad at Abbott and his stupid constituents, this telling post would have made me laugh.
Abbott has 29 million constituents. Why exactly are they stupid? Thanks in advance.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
GoneGirl
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?
Abbott has 29 million constituents. Why exactly are they stupid? Thanks in advance.
Abbott followed Trump instead of public health experts. Now Texas will have more cases, more deaths and more economic damage. You can try to put a positive spin on that now. I'll be interested to see how long you can sustain the gaslighting about what's happening in Texas, and what the talking-point excuses for more cases and deaths will be.

The only silver lining-and it's a tarnished one-is that maybe people will vote out Trump and some of the state leaders, both governors and mayors, who wouldn't listen to public health experts and work together to reduce the number of deaths. And even that's a big question, as a large number of people are willing to accept obviously false narratives and excuses rather than admit that they, the media they consume and the leaders they support are wrong.
Doc Holliday
Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?
Abbott followed Trump instead of public health experts. Now Texas will have more cases, more deaths and more economic damage. You can try to put a positive spin on that now. I'll be interested to see how long you can sustain the gaslighting about what's happening in Texas, and what the talking-point excuses for more cases and deaths will be.

The only silver lining-and it's a tarnished one-is that maybe people will vote out Trump and some of the state leaders, both governors and mayors, who wouldn't listen to public health experts and work together to reduce the number of deaths. And even that's a big question, as a large number of people are willing to accept obviously false narratives and excuses rather than admit that they, the media they consume and the leaders they support are wrong.
Death isn't increasing.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Texans don't like being controlled. The elimination of law-enforcement is HUGE loser in Texas. This little dose of Socialism we are all experiencing right now has most Texas voters chomping at the bit for November 3rd. And it is not for the guy that is six months away from Memory Care that wants to take.their guns. Trust me on this.

-- Barack Obama
TexasScientist
Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
Death isn't increasing because it lags behind, taking as long as four to six weeks of suffering for someone to succumb to the virus. Death rate will begin to go up in a few weeks. Surely you understand that.
TexasScientist
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Texans don't like being controlled. The elimination of law-enforcement is HUGE loser in Texas. This little dose of Socialism we are all experiencing right now has most Texas voters chomping at the bit for November 3rd. And it is not for the guy that is six months away from Memory Care that wants to take.their guns. Trust me on this.
Most Texans are reasonable people who have compassion for others, and don't mind temporary inconvenience for others benefit until we get through this. Texans endured rationing in WWII. Do you think that was socialism and a threat to their individual freedoms?
Whiskey Pete
GrowlTowel said:

cinque said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Jinx 2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"everyone's dead"

Made it clear? You accused Bob Dole of pushing old people off of cliffs in 1996.
They also resurrected it in ads against Ryan and later tweaked it for Romney in 2012. Funny how they keep going back to the same 'ole playbook and bag of lies.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/paul-ryan-ad-wisconsin_n_1792380
GoneGirl
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Not
Nobody likes being controlled. But people will work together to deal with a crisis if they have good leadership. We have done so following hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and floods.

We haven't had good political leadership at the federal level or in many states. Including Texas.

Here's a Covid map. Note that Washington state, where one of the first bad outbreaks occurred because it's a port state for Asia, has managed to get COVID under control. The outbreaks on the West Coast, particularly California, and the East Coast, particularly New York and New Jersey, were predictable given that both states had lots of travelers from Asia before the shutdown.

In rural states and states across the Southeast through Texas and Arizona, poor state management has resulted in worse outcomes.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
Gold Tron
TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
Death isn't increasing because it lags behind, taking as long as four to six weeks of suffering for someone to succumb to the virus. Death rate will begin to go up in a few weeks. Surely you understand that.
The bolded is categorically false. We have only had a single patient that required more than two weeks of ventilation before declaring themselves one way or the other.
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
br53
Being controlled is one reason the Texians took to arms against General Antonio de Padua Mara Severino Lpez de Santa Anna y Prez de Lebrn.
TexasScientist
Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
The bolded is categorically false. We have only had a single patient that required more than two weeks of ventilation before declaring themselves one way or the other.
Wrong. Nick Cordero suffered for over a month before he died. Read what I wrote that you bolded. I said as long as. Some people die much sooner. The evidence is abundantly clear that death rate lags behind infection rate and hospitalization.
ScruffyD
because our education and healthcare systems have been near dead last in the nation for 20 years. And who has been running this state that long? to say nothing of our taxes, even. and they will blame property taxes on local officials, but when they don't tax business to pay their fare share...guess who makes up for it?

also folks going to the ER for primary care increases property taxes (see healthcare).

in the rural communities this is even more perplexing. they will soon have zero healthcare. nowhere to go for a specialist etc.

and yet they will just keep voting them in.
Doc Holliday
TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
The death rate should already be up. Your clock is already on time buddy.

Where's the bodies?
Gold Tron
TexasScientist said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

Doc Holliday said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Death isn't increasing.
Wrong. Nick Cordero suffered for over a month before he died. Read what I wrote that you bolded. I said as long as. Some people die much sooner. The evidence is abundantly clear that death rate lags behind infection rate and hospitalization.
I have taken care of more than 50 Covid + patients personally, half of them on a vent, but I am sure you know more.
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
TexasScientist said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Booray said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I think you mean 700?
Whut?

Most Texans are reasonable people who have compassion for others, and don't mind temporary inconvenience for others benefit until we get through this. Texans endured rationing in WWII. Do you think that was socialism and a threat to their individual freedoms?
Horrible analogy. In WWII I would have been on the front lines bearing arms fighting for our freedom. I am certainly ready, willing, and able to do the same in 2020/ 2021if necessary.

-- Barack Obama
Texasjeremy
Forest Bueller said:

cinque said:

Canada says hi.
Canada has lost 230 lives per million.

Texas has lost 97 lives per million.

If the subject is the Texas outbreak, so far at least, we are faring better than Canada.
CORONAVIRUS DEATHS PER 1M RESIDENTS (THROUGH 7/7/20)
1,704 - New Jersey
1,642 - New York
1,218 - Connecticut
1,175 - Massachusetts
909 - Rhode Island
710 - Louisiana
619 - Michigan
572 - Illinois
537 - Maryland
529 - Pennsylvania
523 - Delaware
400 - Indiana
393 - NATIONAL AVERAGE
373 - Mississippi
289 - Colorado
279 - New Hampshire
268 - Georgia
266 - Minnesota
249 - Ohio
246 - New Mexico
245 - Arizona
227 - Iowa
218 - Virginia
206 - Alabama
178 - Nevada
176 - Washington
172 - Florida
167 - Missouri
159 - California
159 - South Carolina
145 - Nebraska
137 - Wisconsin
132 - Kentucky
132 - North Carolina
107 - South Dakota
105 - North Dakota
105 - Oklahoma
96 - Arkansas
96 - Kansas
95 - Tennessee
90 - Texas
89 - Vermont
82 - Maine
58 - Utah
53 - West Virginia
51 - Idaho
50 - Oregon
35 - Wyoming
22 - Alaska
21 - Montana
13 - Hawaii

CORONAVIRUS CASES PER 1M RESIDENTS (THROUGH 7/7/20)
20,545 - New York
19,427 - New Jersey
16,088 - Rhode Island
15,787 - Massachusetts
14,279 - Louisiana
13,748 - Arizona
13,184 - Connecticut
12,686 - Delaware
11,769 - Illinois
11,572 - Maryland
10,456 - Mississippi
10,266 - Nebraska
9,956 - Iowa
9,247 - Florida
9,149 - Alabama
9,041 - Georgia
8,902 - South Carolina
8,859 - NATIONAL AVERAGE
7,981 - Arkansas
7,923 - Utah
7,868 - South Dakota
7,737 - Virginia
7,561 - Tennessee
7,369 - Nevada
7,294 - Michigan
7,165 - Indiana
7,121 - Pennsylvania
7,023 - North Carolina
6,865 - Minnesota
6,805 - Texas
6,803 - California
6,442 - New Mexico
6,020 - Wisconsin
5,860 - Colorado
5,807 - Kansas
5,053 - North Dakota
4,933 - Ohio
4,743 - Washington
4,409 - Idaho
4,313 - New Hampshire
4,062 - Oklahoma
3,867 - Missouri
3,812 - Kentucky
2,954 - Wyoming
2,556 - Maine
2,417 - Oregon
1,992 - Vermont
1,936 - West Virginia
1,589 - Alaska
1,149 - Montana
670 - Hawaii

CORONAVIRUS DEATHS PER CASES REPORTS (THROUGH 7/7/20)
9.23% - Connecticut
8.77% - New Jersey
8.49% - Michigan
7.99% - New York
7.44% - Massachusetts
7.43% - Pennsylvania
6.46% - New Hampshire
5.65% - Rhode Island
5.58% - Indiana
5.05% - Ohio
4.97% - Louisiana
4.94% - Colorado
4.86% - Illinois
4.64% - Maryland
4.48% - Vermont
4.44% - NATIONAL AVERAGE
4.31% - Missouri
4.12% - Delaware
3.87% - Minnesota
3.81% - New Mexico
3.70% - Washington
3.56% - Mississippi
3.46% - Kentucky
3.20% - Maine
2.97% - Georgia
2.82% - Virginia
2.76% - West Virginia
2.58% - Oklahoma
2.42% - Nevada
2.33% - California
2.28% - Iowa
2.28% - Wisconsin
2.25% - Alabama
2.08% - North Dakota
2.07% - Oregon
2.01% - Hawaii
1.88% - North Carolina
1.86% - Florida
1.84% - Montana
1.78% - Arizona
1.78% - South Carolina
1.66% - Kansas
1.41% - Nebraska
1.37% - Alaska
1.37% - South Dakota
1.32% - Texas
1.25% - Tennessee
1.20% - Arkansas
1.19% - Wyoming
1.17% - Idaho
0.73% - Utah

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.