Texas now grapples with one of country's worst outbreaks

12,097 Views | 205 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by quash
ATL Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TexasScientist said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

C'mon November 3rd! We just gotta hang on til then.
Do you think the headline will be that HC cures it or just that there will be no more headlines about it? This is all based on my assumption that it disappears if the DEM nominee wins. I also think it will disappear if the REP nominee wins because there wont be a political enemy for the media to destroy either way, the election will simply be over.
It will still be around, just not most every minute of every day in the 24/7 news cycle. Covid will have to share the stage with cancer, heart disease, diabetes and all the other diseases we have battled for centuries. I think this happens, regardless of which candidate wins.
It's on track to exceed the cancer death rate, which will keep it in the forefront.
Wait wut??? 600,000 people die each year from cancer. Did you mean specific types of cancer?
ATL Bear
It's amazing to me that everyone said cases would go up once reopening started. Cases are going up as expected and we're surprised?

I've still got my target at 300k-400k deaths before it's over, likely in 3-4 years, although our treatments and understanding have improved, so we may not get there before burn out has been reached.
Booray
ATL Bear said:

It's amazing to me that everyone said cases would go up once reopening started. Cases are going up as expected and we're surprised?

I've still got my target at 300k-400k deaths before it's over, likely in 3-4 years, although our treatments and understanding have improved, so we may not get there before burn out has been reached.
Flip that around. People also accepted that after we reopened and we saw case spikes, we would have to react to those spikes, Why are people now so upset about reacting to the spikes?
blackie
I am glad that thus far Texas doesn't have more deaths than it does. However, the hospitalizations are increasing at an alarming rate. Remember that deaths are a lagging indicator. The stories I have seen on many of the news channels when they talked about deaths or specific people had them being in the hospital or ICU for 6 or more weeks. The actor who died in the last few days had been there since March, I believe. We are probably just starting to see the deaths of people who participated in Memorial Day celebrations, protests, and expanded re-openings.

The other thing is it is not only deaths, but people who recover whose long-term health is screwed. I have no problem with people going out because they don't won't to live in fear. But they better consider the rest of us that would also like to get along with our lives, at least what are left of those lives, and wear their mask, distance, and avoid large crowds in tightly enclosed areas. The public for the most part is not doing that, even when under orders to do so, and our glorious leader is leading the way with that attitude.
ATL Bear
Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

Flip that around. People also accepted that after we reopened and we saw case spikes, we would have to react to those spikes, Why are people now so upset about reacting to the spikes?
Cases verses hospitalizations verses fatalities are all different criteria for consideration of response. What variables we react to and how matter. We are prepared for spikes already, the question is what happens beyond the spike should it occur. The issue is whether or not we go from 0-panic immediately.
Booray
ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

Cases verses hospitalizations verses fatalities are all different criteria for consideration of response. What variables we react to and how matter. We are prepared for spikes already, the question is what happens beyond the spike should it occur. The issue is whether or not we go from 0-panic immediately.
Right. And the test positivity rate was one of the key metrics. As the political executives saw that rise, they wanted to impose more stringent measures. Why is that surprising to anyone?

If it were just rising cases based on rising testing, the positivity rates and hospitalizations would not be increasing like they are. So we clearly have ongoing community spread in spots--we should not be surprised at efforts to control that spread.
ATL Bear
Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

Right. And the test positivity rate was one of the key metrics. As the political executives saw that rise, they wanted to impose more stringent measures. Why is that surprising to anyone?

If it were just rising cases based on rising testing, the positivity rates and hospitalizations would not be increasing like they are. So we clearly have ongoing community spread in spots--we should not be surprised at efforts to control that spread.
Actually, rising positivity and hospitalizations are natural signs of more cases, which is exactly what was predicted when everyone said cases would go up after reopening.

It may sound odd, but I'm encouraged by the ratio improvement of hospitalizations and of course deaths to the increase in cases. It displays lower overall virus severity and more effectiveness of treatments. We were always just delaying increases through shutdowns, and our measures even now are about slowing spread not eradicating it. Just to prove a point, even those nations and states utilizing extreme measures still today are still seeing new cases everyday, and usually deaths.
Booray
ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

Actually, rising positivity and hospitalizations are natural signs of more cases, which is exactly what was predicted when everyone said cases would go up after reopening.

It may sound odd, but I'm encouraged by the ratio improvement of hospitalizations and of course deaths to the increase in cases. It displays lower overall virus severity and more effectiveness of treatments. We were always just delaying increases through shutdowns, and our measures even now are about slowing spread not eradicating it. Just to prove a point, even those nations and states utilizing extreme measures still today are still seeing new cases everyday, and usually deaths.
My point was that the mantra of increased testing explains the increased cases is not true. The positivty rate and hospitalization rates going up prove that more people are getting infected, not that more people are being tested. As you pointed out, that was to be expected as we re-opened. But as I pointed out, we developed well-designed metrics to determine when the increased number of infections was potentially too much.

Its not the increased number of cases that is causing Abbott and the mayors of Houston and Austin concern; it is the other metrics that tell them we might be at place we can;t handle if we are not careful. So sure, I agree with you that we should not be surprised at a rise in cases. We should also not be surprised when we need to take action to control rises that might get out of control.

ATL Bear
Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

My point was that the mantra of increased testing explains the increased cases is not true. The positivty rate and hospitalization rates going up prove that more people are getting infected, not that more people are being tested. As you pointed out, that was to be expected as we re-opened. But as I pointed out, we developed well-designed metrics to determine when the increased number of infections was potentially too much.

Its not the increased number of cases that is causing Abbott and the mayors of Houston and Austin concern; it is the other metrics that tell them we might be at place we can;t handle if we are not careful. So sure, I agree with you that we should not be surprised at a rise in cases. We should also not be surprised when we need to take action to control rises that might get out of control.

It was likely the expectation that cases wouldn't go up much after reopening that has people staring at the panic button.
Booray
ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

It was likely the expectation that cases wouldn't go up much after reopening that has people staring at the panic button.
I do think the hope that summer would make the disease less likely to transmit was pretty strong.
Doc Holliday
ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

And death isn't up because it's a bunch of 20-45 year olds getting it at bars and what not. The death rate is super low for that age range.
Gold Tron
Booray said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Username checks out said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Do you think the headline will be that HC cures it or just that there will be no more headlines about it? This is all based on my assumption that it disappears if the DEM nominee wins. I also think it will disappear if the REP nominee wins because there wont be a political enemy for the media to destroy either way, the election will simply be over.

His comment mimics the trumpist talking point, this whole thing is a hoax fabricated to help Democrats. It's really sad given the hundreds of thousands that have died and will continue to die. The tribalist mindset can't fathom a world bigger than the dominion of the tribe, neighbors be damned.
Covid-19 has killed .00038 percent of America's 330,000,000 people.

No doubt that Covid is real, it is just not that deadly. Sorry.

I think overall, our tribes are safe.
It is that deadly, and it comes with a high comorbidity. It takes at least 70% infection of the population to get to herd immunity. That's 231 million people in the US. If the death rate is only .005 that is well over 1 million deaths.

Your math is irrelevant and meaningless. Only 2,922,000 have been infected with 130,000 deaths. That's 4.4%. The remaining 227 million +/- have not been infected yet.

You're a moron. We have at least 10 people infected for every person that has tested positive.
That makes it a 0,44% mortality rate. If you get herd immunity at 227 million people, to get there, you have 227,000,000 x .0044=998,000 deaths. (Actual that is for 9 for every one infected).You might note that TS estimated the death rate at 0.5% rather than at the 4.4% that comes from the case mortality rate.

So maybe not such a moron?

The death rate is dropping week over week. I'm not convinced we will get to 300K deaths.
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
Flaming Moderate
What's Texas' current death rate? How does it compare to the flu? How does it compare to other states for Wuhan virus?
Canada2017
Gold Tron said:

Booray said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

His comment mimics the trumpist talking point, this whole thing is a hoax fabricated to help Democrats. It's really sad given the hundreds of thousands that have died and will continue to die. The tribalist mindset can't fathom a world bigger than the dominion of the tribe, neighbors be damned.

It is that deadly, and it comes with a high comorbidity. It takes at least 70% infection of the population to get to herd immunity. That's 231 million people in the US. If the death rate is only .005 that is well over 1 million deaths.

Your math is irrelevant and meaningless. Only 2,922,000 have been infected with 130,000 deaths. That's 4.4%. The remaining 227 million +/- have not been infected yet.

You're a moron. We have at least 10 people infected for every person that has tested positive.
That makes it a 0,44% mortality rate. If you get herd immunity at 227 million people, to get there, you have 227,000,000 x .0044=998,000 deaths. (Actual that is for 9 for every one infected).You might note that TS estimated the death rate at 0.5% rather than at the 4.4% that comes from the case mortality rate.

The death rate is dropping week over week. I'm not convinced we will get to 300K deaths.

Deaths usually lag behind infections by a couple of weeks .

However as hydroxychloroquine gets used more frequently hopefully the percentage of deaths will be reduced .
Gold Tron
Flaming Moderate said:

What's Texas' current death rate? How does it compare to the flu? How does it compare to other states for Wuhan virus?

Just under 2700 deaths. Rate is 93/million population.
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
4th and Inches
Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

New York is 1,659 per million and New Jersey with 1,723 per million for comparison
bear2be2
Gold Tron said:

Booray said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Remember when people were trashing the original IMHE models for forecasting 162,000 deaths on the high end? Now we're talking about nearly twice that as an achievement, and many here are still downplaying the threat of this virus. Crazy.
Booray
Gold Tron said:

Booray said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

He wasn't predicting a million deaths, he was saying it would take a million deaths to get to 70% immunity.
Flaming Moderate
Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

So we cancelled the State Fair when we have > 7,000 deaths to go to reach a bad influenza season? We're smart.
Robert Wilson
bear2be2 said:

Gold Tron said:

Booray said:

Gold Tron said:

TexasScientist said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

br53 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Remember when people were trashing the original IMHE models for forecasting 162,000 deaths on the high end? Now we're talking about nearly twice that as an achievement, and many here are still downplaying the threat of this virus. Crazy.
Not so much. I remember lots of people trashing models calling for 3 million deaths. I think way early on I said it would be something like 150k - 300k deaths and that should be viewed as a nice accomplishment but would not. Looking ballpark so far...
Booray
Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

So we cancelled the State Fair when we have > 7,000 deaths to go to reach a bad influenza season? We're smart.
I think you mean 700?
Sam Lowry
Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Yeah, it would be much smarter to wait and cancel it after everyone's dead.
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"everyone's dead"

Well, that will eventually be true, but well over 99% of them will not have died from covid.
GoneGirl
Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

First case at my mother-in-law's nursing care facility in Dallas.

She's bedridden and we haven't seen her since February. My b- and s-in-law who live in Dallas haven't een her since the lock-down in March.

If you guys had flattened the curve insead of letting Trump override the strong recommendations of public health policy makers, we might be coming out the other end by now.

You're all hothead flaming and no "moderate." Can you just give the B.S. about how much more important the economy is than old people a rest right now?
Robert Wilson
Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

She's bedridden and we haven't seen her since February. My b- and s-in-law who live in Dallas haven't een her since the lock-down in March.

If you guys had flattened the curve insead of letting Trump override the strong recommendations of public health policy makers, we might be coming out the other end by now.

You're all hothead flaming and no "moderate." Can you just give the B.S. about how much more important the economy is than old people a rest right now?
How do old people fare in wrecked economies? Want a hint?
GoneGirl
Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"everyone's dead"

Well, that will eventually be true, but well over 99% of them will not have died from covid.
More than 40% of COVID deaths are occurring in nursing homes.

The one where my mother-in-law lives in Dallas just had their first case.

She's 89, frail and already has a chronic cough.

Maybe her life doesn't mean enough to you to take public health precautions, but it means a lot to us.

Now would be a good time for you to shut up about how few people will die from COVID when, thanks to voters like you, Abbott opened up too soon, with the predictable results you're now seeing.
GoneGirl
Robert Wilson said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

How do *******s nobody would hire because they're jerks who don't care about anyone but themselves fare in wrecked economies?
Robert Wilson
Jinx 2 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

How do *******s nobody would hire because they're jerks who don't care about anyone but themselves fare in wrecked economies?
I think those people site around and whine about capitalists in both good and bad economies.
Robert Wilson
Jinx 2 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"everyone's dead"

Maybe her life doesn't mean enough to you to take public health precautions, but it means a lot to us.

Now would be a good time for you to shut up about how few people will die from COVID when, thanks to voters like you, Abbott opened up too soon, with the predictable results you're now seeing.
Yes, a large % of the covid deaths are happening in nursing homes. The largest #s happened in blue states during lockdowns. But I'm glad you can find sufficient people to blame for virus-caused deaths and deaths that haven't even happened yet. Hope it helps you with those anger issues.
GoneGirl
Robert Wilson said:

Jinx 2 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"everyone's dead"

Yes, a large % of the covid deaths are happening in nursing homes. The largest #s happened in blue states during lockdowns. But I'm glad you can find sufficient people to blame for virus-caused deaths and deaths that haven't even happened yet. Hope it helps you with those anger issues.
Spoken like a true Trump voter. You're learned a lot from your master, Robert.

The lockdowns happened after the COVID outbreaks were already underway, in states with lots of international travel and high exposure. But don't let facts, much less proven public health methods, get in the way of your greed and rudeness.

Do you go to church every Sunday and feel like you belong there?
Robert Wilson
Jinx 2 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Jinx 2 said:

Robert Wilson said:

Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"everyone's dead"

Spoken like a true Trump voter. You're learned a lot from your master, Robert.

The lockdowns happened after the COVID outbreaks were already underway, in states with lots of international travel and high exposure. But don't let facts, much less proven public health methods, get in the way of your greed and rudeness.

Do you go to church every Sunday and feel like you belong there?
Did not even vote for Trump. Won't this time either. But unlike you I do use my brain from time to time as opposed to pure tribal hatred. The largest #s of deaths happened in blue states because their guvs (like you) believed the fear porn regarding hospital overruns and sent cases back into nursing homes, which was the worst possible thing to do. Guess what. People are going to die. And people are going to suffer. From the virus. And from lockdowns. You can blame Abbott or me, but it's going to happen. But someone has to act like an adult and make some real decisions. Easy to whine when they do, but we weren't going to come out of this unscathed in any event, and the most costly mistakes have been the fear-driven overreactions.
4th and Inches
Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

nope, too many people who think that their civil liberty to not wear a mask and social distance is more important than doing the right thing. It would not matter how many lock down orders or whatever the government and CDC recommend,
GoneGirl
Gruvin said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

nope, too many people who think that their civil liberty to not wear a mask and social distance is more important than doing the right thing. It would not matter how many lock down orders or whatever the government and CDC recommend,
And why is that? One big reason is the example set by Trump and by governors like Abbott and Ducey.
GrowlTowel
Jinx 2 said:

Gruvin said:

Jinx 2 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

And why is that? One big reason is the example set by Trump and by governors like Abbott and Ducey.
No. It is because the country was built on rugged individualism, not collectivism. Americans do not like being told what to do whether it be a blender up the ho-ha or a pantie on the face.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Flaming Moderate
Sam Lowry said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Gold Tron said:

Flaming Moderate said:

How many people would have to get it at the current 1% mortality rate for everyone to be dead?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.