RBG dead

18,582 Views | 352 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bearitto
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

The Senate must not have approved of his selection. So the nomination wasn't presented. It's that simple
Bull**** . He was never presented. The constitutional process was not followed and you guys know it. You just don't care.

Having a hissy fit doesn't change that the Constitution doesn't say whatever you think it says.
The constitution was interpreted the same way on this issue from its ratification in 1788 until Mitch McConnell unilaterally decided to change it in 2016. To pretend or suggest otherwise is willful ignorance.
I know you're genuinely concerned about fairness and the Constitution, but I couldn't disagree more with this post. McConnell didn't change anything. In these circumstances it has always been difficult for a president to appoint a justice when his party didn't control the Senate. When they do control the Senate, it's a completely different matter. Like it or not, the Republicans are acting consistently and according to precedent.
There is no precedent one can point to for McConnell's decision to ignore a duly appointed supreme court nominee without so much as a vote on the senate floor. The only thing anyone can throw out there is the so-called Biden Rule, which was never actually tested ... and which McConnell/the Republicans have refused to make official senate policy.

If the Republicans had voted and chosen not to confirm Garland, which they had the votes to do, it would have been one thing. Still wrong IMO, given that he was both duly appointed and extremely well qualified, but it would have been consistent with the senate's constitutional duties. To ignore the appointment entirely as though it never happened with eight months remaining in a sitting president's term and leave the court short a justice for more than a year was an unprecedented (and IMO chicken****) move by a chicken**** politician who has done as much as anyone in either house of congress to create the toxic partisan climate that has paralyzed and essentially delegitimized our legislature.

So while, yes, it is always difficult for a president to appoint a justice without control of the senate, we have never seen a senate majority leader act as childishly as McConnell did in 2016 -- a move that is all but guaranteed to make an overt hypocrite of him and his fellow Republican partisans.

And if you look at the confirmation vote tallies of justices before and after the Merrick Garland incident, I don't see any way one can conclude that McConnell's actions in 2016 have done anything but further partisanize the supreme court appointment process -- a development that will have devastating consequences for this country.
On the contrary, of the thirty-five Supreme Court nominations that have failed, only twelve received a vote on the floor. Two of John Tyler's nominations were tabled for almost a year.

There is one course of action that would be truly unprecedented, and it happens to be the very one that Democrats are insisting on. Never in our history has a president simply refused to fill a seat when his party controlled the Senate.
Whiskey Pete
bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

The Senate must not have approved of his selection. So the nomination wasn't presented. It's that simple
Bull**** . He was never presented. The constitutional process was not followed and you guys know it. You just don't care.

Having a hissy fit doesn't change that the Constitution doesn't say whatever you think it says.
The constitution was interpreted the same way on this issue from its ratification in 1788 until Mitch McConnell unilaterally decided to change it in 2016. To pretend or suggest otherwise is willful ignorance.
I know you're genuinely concerned about fairness and the Constitution, but I couldn't disagree more with this post. McConnell didn't change anything. In these circumstances it has always been difficult for a president to appoint a justice when his party didn't control the Senate. When they do control the Senate, it's a completely different matter. Like it or not, the Republicans are acting consistently and according to precedent.
There is no precedent one can point to for McConnell's decision to ignore a duly appointed supreme court nominee without so much as a vote on the senate floor. The only thing anyone can throw out there is the so-called Biden Rule, which was never actually tested ... and which McConnell/the Republicans have refused to make official senate policy.

If the Republicans had voted and chosen not to confirm Garland, which they had the votes to do, it would have been one thing. Still wrong IMO, given that he was both duly appointed and extremely well qualified, but it would have been consistent with the senate's constitutional duties. To ignore the appointment entirely as though it never happened with eight months remaining in a sitting president's term and leave the court short a justice for more than a year was an unprecedented (and IMO chicken****) move by a chicken**** politician who has done as much as anyone in either house of congress to create the toxic partisan climate that has paralyzed and essentially delegitimized our legislature.

So while, yes, it is always difficult for a president to appoint a justice without control of the senate, we have never seen a senate majority leader act as childishly as McConnell did in 2016 -- a move that is all but guaranteed to make an overt hypocrite of him and his fellow Republican partisans.

And if you look at the confirmation vote tallies of justices before and after the Merrick Garland incident, I don't see any way one can conclude that McConnell's actions in 2016 have done anything but further partisanize the supreme court appointment process -- a development that will have devastating consequences for this country.
First, while Merrick Garland is not as liberal as the likes of Sotomayor, Kagan or Ginsburg... he's not as moderate as the media and liberals try to convince everyone. Scalia was a conservative justice. Obama did not have a senate majority. If Obama wanted a new justice confirmed, perhaps he should've nominated someone more to center or even very slight conservative, but less conservative than Scalia.

So, Obama nominated someone, the Senate said "nope" and Obama cut his nose off to spite his face by not trying to bring someone else forward. Essentially having the attitude of "If I can't have my way, then I'm not going to play."

Sure go ahead and blame McConnell, but you would be shortsighted not to put some blame on Obama either.

The American people gave the Senate back to the conservatives in 2014, they kept it in 2016 and grew their majority in 2018.

Elections have consequences.

I know you don't like it, but here's the reality:
McConnell didn't violate the rules in 2016
McConnell won't be violating the rules in 2020
If you were pissed when the Senate didn't vote for a justice in 2016, you shouldn't be pissed if they vote for one in 2020 - after all, two wrongs don't make a right, right?

You can cry hypocrisy all day long. McConnell doesn't care what you call him; he's going to move forward.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

blackie said:

Both parties have engaged in whatever they could do to thwart the other once partisanship took over. Neither has the moral high ground on this. They both need to also be careful to change things (filibuster rule, number of Supreme Court justices, etc) as history has shown that situations get reversed and you then end up on the short end of the stick and it bites you in the a**..

End of the two party system would seem to help, but doubt it will ever come, certainly in my lifetime. We need more options. The Reps and Dems have both lost it.
I love you blackie. You sound like my 19 year old son. I just try to tell him, we gotta keep the Republic in place and hold our nose and vote for Trump to survive the next four years. Both decks gets reshuffled in 2024. We need a third party to step up. The bat**** crazy Libertarian Party is not the answer.
You'll say the same thing in 2024 and be just as wrong.
You don't think we'll have two new candidates in 2024 to pick from including another obscure, invisible Libertarian candidate? I do.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Bearitto
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

blackie said:

Both parties have engaged in whatever they could do to thwart the other once partisanship took over. Neither has the moral high ground on this. They both need to also be careful to change things (filibuster rule, number of Supreme Court justices, etc) as history has shown that situations get reversed and you then end up on the short end of the stick and it bites you in the a**..

End of the two party system would seem to help, but doubt it will ever come, certainly in my lifetime. We need more options. The Reps and Dems have both lost it.
I love you blackie. You sound like my 19 year old son. I just try to tell him, we gotta keep the Republic in place and hold our nose and vote for Trump to survive the next four years. Both decks gets reshuffled in 2024. We need a third party to step up. The bat**** crazy Libertarian Party is not the answer.
You'll say the same thing in 2024 and be just as wrong.
You don't think we'll have two new candidates in 2024 to pick from including another obscure, invisible Libertarian candidate? I do.

Quash is hoping chairman Mao makes a comeback.
J.R.
Bearitto said:

J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

Jack and DP said:

RIP

It's nice of you to wish, but highly unlikely, given her advocacy for murdering babies.
idiot

No need to sign your posts. We know.
You do realize that you have marginalized yourself to the laughing stock on this board? You are like Trump...incoherent, rambling, dumbed down. At least rifle act has a take. You just aren't that smart. Enjoy.
Whiskey Pete
J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

Jack and DP said:

RIP

It's nice of you to wish, but highly unlikely, given her advocacy for murdering babies.
idiot

You do realize that you have marginalized yourself to the laughing stock on this board? You are like Trump...incoherent, rambling, dumbed down. At least rifle act has a take. You just aren't that smart. Enjoy.
I'm disappointed. I thought I was the non-smart one.

I feel cheated on.
J.R.
Bearitto said:

Jack Bauer said:

Hot, smart, religious, and honest about our Constitution. She's the anti-RBG. What a wonderful pick for a new shift of the court toward actual justice.
you are just a moron.
J.R.
HashTag said:

J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

Jack and DP said:

RIP

idiot

I'm disappointed. I thought I was the non-smart one.

I feel cheated on.
oh no, mr. tag. You are the smart one!!! And isn't even close!
Bearitto
J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

Jack and DP said:

RIP

idiot

Do you think the opinions of ret arded animals interest me?
bear2be2
Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

On the contrary, of the thirty-five Supreme Court nominations that have failed, only twelve received a vote on the floor. Two of John Tyler's nominations were tabled for almost a year.

There is one course of action that would be truly unprecedented, and it happens to be the very one that Democrats are insisting on. Never in our history has a president simply refused to fill a seat when his party controlled the Senate.
Your statistic is misleading as 12 of the 37 failed nominations were withdrawn by the nominating president. Excluding rejections (12), withdrawals (12), delays (3) and instances where the nominee declined the position (7), there have only been 10 unconfirmed nominations in this country's history where no action was taken by the senate. And excluding Garland, to find a case where such a judge was not re-nominated and confirmed within three months, you'd have to go all the way back to 1866.

Like so many other things that both parties have tried to normalize in recent decades, this is not typical senate behavior. To paint it as business as usual just isn't accurate. In fact, for most of our history, this hasn't even been a terribly partisan process. Most judges regardless of nominating party have been confirmed with overwhelming support. Only recently did this become hyper-politicized, and McConnell has played as large a role in that as anyone.
Oldbear83
Democrats burned their bridges, now they want to whine about it.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
bear2be2
Oldbear83 said:

Democrats burned their bridges, now they want to whine about it.
I don't give a **** about the Democrats. I want a healthy, functioning government. And as long as ****heels like Mitch McConnell and Nancy Pelosi are given a pass by their party to play stupid political games to hyper-partisan ends, we'll never have that.
Osodecentx
bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

Like so many other things that both parties have tried to normalize in recent decades, this is not typical senate behavior. To paint it as business as usual just isn't accurate.
bear
I'm not trying to convince you to support Trump or his nominee to SCOTUS. I am trying to convince you that the rules of the US Senate do not equal the Constitution. There is a difference.

The Senate rules exist to facilitate the execution of the Constitutional duties assigned to the Senate.
Harry Reid changed the Senate rules concerning the confirmation of federal judges. I didn't like it then and I suspect you didn't like them as McConnell used them to confirm Kavanaugh or kill Obama's nomination of Garland. "Advise and Consent" isn't defined in the Constitution. Advise and Consent is defined as the Senate wishes it and no court can overrule it because of the Separation of Powers in the Constitution.

The powers of the Senate majority leader were radically changed when LBJ became the Leader. The powers of the Leader are not enumerated in the Constitution, but rather in the rules of the Senate. Same thing applies to the filibuster. It isn't in the Constitution.

I didn't like the way G.W. Bush's judicial nominees were treated by the Democrat minority. They used the filibuster rules to kill good nominees, but senators used the Senate rules to accomplish that. They were not guaranteed an up or down vote.

Schumer is talking about changing Senate rules to do away with filibusters. I don't like that.

He who laughs today weeps tomorrow.
Baylor3216
Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

Like so many other things that both parties have tried to normalize in recent decades, this is not typical senate behavior. To paint it as business as usual just isn't accurate.
bear
I'm not trying to convince you to support Trump or his nominee to SCOTUS. I am trying to convince you that the rules of the US Senate do not equal the Constitution. There is a difference.

The Senate rules exist to facilitate the execution of the Constitutional duties assigned to the Senate.
Harry Reid changed the Senate rules concerning the confirmation of federal judges. I didn't like it then and I suspect you didn't like them as McConnell used them to confirm Kavanaugh or kill Obama's nomination of Garland. "Advise and Consent" isn't defined in the Constitution. Advise and Consent is defined as the Senate wishes it and no court can overrule it because of the Separation of Powers in the Constitution.

The powers of the Senate majority leader were radically changed when LBJ became the Leader. The powers of the Leader are not enumerated in the Constitution, but rather in the rules of the Senate. Same thing applies to the filibuster. It isn't in the Constitution.

I didn't like the way G.W. Bush's judicial nominees were treated by the Democrat minority. They used the filibuster rules to kill good nominees, but senators used the Senate rules to accomplish that. They were not guaranteed an up or down vote.

Schumer is talking about changing Senate rules to do away with filibusters. I don't like that.

Yep. Again if Barry Sotoro could have led well enough to win the senate they would have had a scenario to get their pick. He needed to propose someone less liberal the Senate could compromise on. The voice of the people was heard and he was gone like a fart in the wind.

Then as his parting accomplishment, he was so bad he gave us a populist president that has enabled freedom and opportunity for the common man at a level not seen since Reagan.

If people haven't succeeded and bettered their lives since President Trump, welp that's on them.
J.R.
Bearitto said:

J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

J.R. said:

Bearitto said:

Jack and DP said:

RIP

idiot

Do you think the opinions of ret arded animals interest me?
re tarded animal?.....keep it coming, Mr. Brightside! How freaking old are you and did you really graduate from Bu? You are an embarrassment. Lookin good.
bear2be2
Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

bear

This is a long thread, so I understand if you haven't read the whole thing. But I'm pretty sure I already addressed this and agree with you on both the ethics and prudence of changing senate rules for partisan purposes.

But perpetuating this tit for tat because "they started it" all but ensures that it will never end, and we'll be stuck with the ****ty brand of partisan politics that has put us in our current situation.

I don't care who's more responsible for the current toxic state of our congressional politics. I despise both parties. I just want it to end. And as long as the electorate is content to allow their team to bend or break the rules because (or before) the other team does it, that will never happen.
Whiskey Pete
bear2be2 said:

Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

bear

This is a long thread, so I understand if you haven't read the whole thing. But I'm pretty sure I already addressed this and agree with you on both the ethics and prudence of changing senate rules for partisan purposes.

But perpetuating this tit for tat because "they started it" all but ensures that it will never end, and we'll be stuck with the ****ty brand of partisan politics that has put us in our current situation.

I don't care who's more responsible for the current toxic state of our congressional politics. I despise both parties. I just want it to end. And as long as the electorate is content to allow their team to bend or break the rules because (or before) the other team does it, that will never happen.
So, since both parties suck and hate the tit for tat.... I'm guessing, should pelosi and her gang decide to try and impeach Trump to stall the confirmation... you would equally be against that fuming at the democrats too?
cinque
Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

bear

The filibuster will be a casualty of the expanded court, and that's okay.
Make Racism Wrong Again
bear2be2
HashTag said:

bear2be2 said:

Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

bear

So, since both parties suck and hate the tit for tat.... I'm guessing, should pelosi and her gang decide to try and impeach Trump to stall the confirmation... you would equally be against that fuming at the democrats too?
I think Pelosi, like McConnell, is terrible for this country and have said so many, many times. And I thought the impeachment was a bad political decision based on a flimsy case with no productive outcome for the Democrats or the country. Unfortunately they didn't ask me before they proceeded with it.
Osodecentx
bear2be2 said:

Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

bear

Mostly agree. It is a long thread and I may have missed a post
Whiskey Pete
bear2be2 said:

HashTag said:

bear2be2 said:

Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

bear

I think Pelosi, like McConnell, is terrible for this country and have said so many, many times. And I thought the impeachment was a bad political decision based on a flimsy case with no productive outcome for the Democrats or the country. Unfortunately they didn't ask me before they proceeded with it.
cool story, but you stil didn't answer my question.
bear2be2
HashTag said:

bear2be2 said:

HashTag said:

bear2be2 said:

Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

bear

You didn't ask a question. You stuck a question mark on the end of an opinion.
Green My Eyes
As long as one party is willing to go farther in its means of accomplishing its objectives than the other party is willing to go, then you have a "ratchet wrench" form of political progression. The first party changes the rules by ungentlemanly means, and the other party cannot reverse it without being equally ungentlemanly. Thus the first party slowly and surely turns the bolt.

When the second party finally takes off the gloves, the wailing and gnashing of teeth by the first party becomes a banshee's cry of deafening proportions.

bear2be2
Green My Eyes said:

As long as one party is willing to go farther in its means of accomplishing its objectives than the other party is willing to go, then you have a "ratchet wrench" form of political progression. The first party changes the rules by ungentlemanly means, and the other party cannot reverse it without being equally ungentlemanly. Thus the first party slowly and surely turns the bolt.

When the second party finally takes off the gloves, the wailing and gnashing of teeth by the first party becomes a banshee's cry of deafening proportions.
The problem is, as the old saying goes, that an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

The longer this back and forth goes on, the less likely bi-partisan solutions become. And we have too many problems in this country that can and will only be solved with bi-partisan solutions.
Whiskey Pete
bear2be2 said:

HashTag said:

bear2be2 said:

HashTag said:

bear2be2 said:

Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

bear

It's a question.... but hey if you don't want to answer it, I can't say that I'm surprised
bear2be2
HashTag said:

bear2be2 said:

HashTag said:

bear2be2 said:

HashTag said:

bear2be2 said:

Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

bear

It's a question.... but hey if you don't want to answer it, I can't say that I'm surprised
What am I meant to answer? Would a second impeachment attempt be bad for America? Yes. The first was bad for America.

I don't think the Democrats are stupid enough to try that stunt again. But they've surprised me many times since 2016.
Whiskey Pete
bear2be2 said:

HashTag said:

bear2be2 said:

HashTag said:

bear2be2 said:

HashTag said:

bear2be2 said:

Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

bear

What am I meant to answer? Would a second impeachment attempt be bad for America? Yes. The first was bad for America.

I don't think the Democrats are stupid enough to try that stunt again. But they've surprised me many times since 2016.
Geesh, are you really this dense?

I'll spell it out for you....

If Pelosi tried to impeach Trump (again) in order to stall a Supreme Court Justice nomination and confirmation, would you be angry and calling out the democrats on this board for their BS, at least as much as you are the Republicans?
Wrecks Quan Dough

Wrecks Quan Dough
HashTag said:

If Pelosi tried to impeach Trump (again) in order to stall a Supreme Court Justice nomination and confirmation, would you be angry and calling out the democrats on this board for their BS, at least as much as you are the Republicans?
Pelosi should do exactly that. Don't even convene committee hearings. Just have Schiff draw up the articles tonight. The Senate will confirm Trump's nominee before it takes up any articles that pass the House.
Oldbear83
bear2be2 said:

Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

bear

I'd be a lot more impressed if you spoke up like this and defended qualified nominees like Bork. Far as I am concerned the Democrats' conduct during the Kavanaugh hearings and the impeachment trial told me they are to be opposed and defeated at every turn.

It's about the bridges burned, and too damn bad if you want to rethink that move now.
riflebear
Rioters & the media trying to pull the heart strings that RBG wanted the pick to wait. Well she knows better than anyone what she says is flat out wrong in this case, but they've also uncovered her saying what every other liberal did back in 2016. Everyone is a hypocrite in DC but the media is trying to paint it as one sided as usual by committing Obama Biden RBG Hillary Schumer's etc comments where they have also flip flopped.

bear2be2
HashTag said:

bear2be2 said:

HashTag said:

bear2be2 said:

HashTag said:

bear2be2 said:

HashTag said:

bear2be2 said:

Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

bear

Geesh, are you really this dense?

I'll spell it out for you....

Has anyone other than you even suggested that as a possibility? I certainly haven't seen it. But if, under the most remote of circumstances, the House were to try to impeach Trump again without some bombshell or smoking gun emerging, yes, I would absolutely call it out as BS.

I don't know how to make it any clearer to you that I already hold Pelosi and McConnell in the same ****ty esteem. I loathe partisan hacks of all stripes. They are the enemies of effective, functional government.
cinque
riflebear said:

Rioters & the media trying to pull the heart strings that RBG wanted the pick to wait. Well she knows better than anyone what she says is flat out wrong in this case, but they've also uncovered her saying what every other liberal did back in 2016. Everyone is a hypocrite in DC but the media is trying to paint it as one sided as usual by committing Obama Biden RBG Hillary Schumer's etc comments where they have also flip flopped.

I agree with RBG, but everything changed in 2016.
Make Racism Wrong Again
Oldbear83
From Hillary Clinton:

"The Republicans in the Senate and on the Campaign trail who are calling for [the] ... seat to remain vacant dishonor our Constitution. The Senate has a constitutional responsibility here that it cannot abdicate for partisan political reasons"

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/breaking-news-supreme-court-justice-antonin-scalia-dead-at-the-age-of-79-219246

Of course she said this in 2016, but it's pretty clear. As I said before, too damn late to say we can't do what history shows has been done many times with no problems.
bear2be2
Oldbear83 said:

bear2be2 said:

Osodecentx said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

Sam Lowry said:

bear2be2 said:

FWBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BornAgain said:

bear

I'd be a lot more impressed if you spoke up like this and defended qualified nominees like Bork. Far as I am concerned the Democrats' conduct during the Kavanaugh hearings and the impeachment trial told me they are to be opposed and defeated at every turn.

It's about the bridges burned, and too damn bad if you want to rethink that move now.
First, I was 2 years old when Bork was rejected. Second, I don't have a problem with someone who opposed the Civil Rights Act and other anti-discriminatory legislation being rejected -- particularly given that he was the only nominee to be so in a span of 16 supreme court confirmation hearings dating from 1970 to 2010.

Reagan's other nominees were confirmed by votes of 99-0, 65-33, 98-0, 97-0. Bork clearly had red flags that O'Connor, Rehnquist, Scalia and Kennedy didn't.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.