1M cases in Texas

13,264 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wrecks Quan Dough
J.R.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
which is the highest of any state. It's getting worse, folks, not better. Certainly not a hoax. Wearing a mask is probably a good idea when around people. Listen to the science.
Forest Bueller_bf
J.R. said:

which is the highest of any state. It's getting worse, folks, not better. Certainly not a hoax. Wearing a mask is probably a good idea when around people. Listen to the science.
Been wearing a mask since March. Every single time I'm around someone not in my household.
Doc Holliday
Yeah JR, let's go ahead and lockdown for two months and increase penalties for not wearing masks.

Also no travel.

If you object because it's hurting your wallet then you're a racist bigot.
J.R.
Doc Holliday said:

Yeah JR, let's go ahead and lockdown for two months and increase penalties for not wearing masks.

Also no travel.

now, doc....I'm pragmatic, and you aren not. I'm not saying lockdown, I go to the office everyday, support my local restaurants and bars. It's obvious that mercans are either are too selfish or arrogant to voluntarily wear a mask in public. Travel can wait. I've traveled extensively , both business, and personal, and still do. Racist bigot, bro, that a little harsh, even for you. This is a time for everyone to pull together in a reasonable manner that doesn't increase the pandemic or tank the economy.
ATL Bear
Apparently we need better masks.
Sam Lowry
ATL Bear said:

We can't invent one that will wear itself.
blackie
J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

Also no travel.

now, doc....I'm pragmatic, and you aren not. I'm not saying lockdown, I go to the office everyday, support my local restaurants and bars. It's obvious that mercans are either are too selfish or arrogant to voluntarily wear a mask in public. Travel can wait. I've traveled extensively , both business, and personal, and still do. Racist bigot, bro, that a little harsh, even for you. This is a time for everyone to pull together in a reasonable manner that doesn't increase the pandemic or tank the economy.
Many don't want to pull together. Many shun masks for no other reason than Trump said he wasn't going to wear one and his minions followed.

Ironic that Trump's stance toward the virus and his followers doing everything they could to super spread the thing in those rallies arguably cost him the election. All he had to do was give even a faint leaning back in the spring and summer that the virus was more powerful than him and a threat to the country and done at least on the surface something that showed he gave a sh** for the people of this country who were losing family and becoming physically wrecked. Had he done so all these threads about "fraudulent" elections would be nowhere to be seen. He likely would have still been President on January 21. Karma's a bit**.
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Keep believing that's the reason when nations with the strictest of mask mandates and social restriction policies are raging. Most people are masking with the equivalent of an air sponge that works both ways (external and internal) and repeatedly creating air flow through it. Science and stuff...
Sam Lowry
ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Keep believing that's the reason when nations with the strictest of mask mandates and social restriction policies are raging. Most people are masking with the equivalent of an air sponge that works both ways (external and internal) and repeatedly creating air flow through it. Science and stuff...
Not what the science says, but that's beating a dead horse. Hopefully the new administration can turn things around.
Mothra
Forest Bueller_bf said:

J.R. said:

Been wearing a mask since March. Every single time I'm around someone not in my household.
So are the vast majority of people. Virus is gonna virus.
57Bear
Mothra
J.R. said:

Doc Holliday said:

Also no travel.

Have to say, I am in the office 3 days a week, and regularly out in the world, and I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen without a mask inside public spaces since the mask mandate went into effect. So, I don't think it's nearly as obvious that "mercans" are as selfish a lot of people as you think they are.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

If only people not wearing them was the issue.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6936a5.htm?s_cid=mm6936a5_w
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Not what the science says, but that's beating a dead horse. Hopefully the new administration can turn things around.
What does "science" say is the reason a number of the countries in Europe who had the most restrictions have a higher number of cases per capita than the U.S.?
George Truett
J.R. said:

They're getting special refrigeration units in El Paso to help store all the bodies.

George Truett
Mothra said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

J.R. said:

So are the vast majority of people. Virus is gonna virus.
Yeah. One of my friends knows a local beautician who didn't wear a mask and there was a cluster in her salon.

The beautician died last week of COVID.
Gold Tron
J.R. said:

There is zero evidence that a mask mitigates or provides personal protection against a respiratory virus 0.125 microns in size. If it makes you feel safe then great. I only wear one because I don't want to be a jerk. Go read the studies.

https://aapsonline.org/mask-facts/
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
Canada2017
Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

There is zero evidence that a mask mitigates or provides personal protection against a respiratory virus 0.125 microns in size. If it makes you feel safe then great. I only wear one because I don't want to be a jerk. Go read the studies.

N95 is worthwhile....cloth and paper masks ....not so much .
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

The statistical science says masking is a very modest preventer of viral spread and the variables are tremendous. Science is now looking hard at air circulation and filtration measures to impact viral spread because aerosolized virus has a 20-30 foot range of contact as well as remaining airborne for several minutes to an hour. There was a time when 6 foot distances and a face gaiter could stop someone else's spittle from getting to you. We're dealing with a different animal now.
Gold Tron
Canada2017 said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Only good to 0.3 microns
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
Canada2017
Gold Tron said:

Canada2017 said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Then why are doctors and nurses wearing them ?

Only good to 0.3 microns
Doc Holliday
Wrecks Quan Dough
Forest Bueller_bf said:

J.R. said:

You are not doing enough. Have you considered personal bankruptcy?
ATL Bear
Gold Tron said:

Canada2017 said:

Gold Tron said:

J.R. said:

Only good to 0.3 microns
I thought it was the electrostatic nature of N95s that made them the most effective, although as the name implies it isn't 100%.
BellCountyBear
What's ironic is that many leftists claim that "overpopulation" is the problem.
643 Bears
J.R. said:

I interact with one of the world's leading epidemologists on a weekly basis. Back in May, he told me "The first rule of Covid is everybody gets Covid."

He also says the current version isn't nearly as severe as the initial version.

I do find all the mask discussion interesting. Biden talks like a mandate is the silver bullet. But most states already have one and the ones that don't have left it to the counties, and most have adopted a mandate. Best I can tell, most of the country is already under some sort of mask ordinance.

I do notice a difference in compliance the further I get away from the city. Less compliance in the suburbs. We had a football game against a Tyler school 2 weeks ago. No masks.
Robert Wilson
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Lil Sam keeps believing there are silver bullets and pixie dust out there that will keep him safe.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

According to your article it is: "Exposures and activities where mask use and social distancing are difficult to maintain, including going to places that offer on-site eating or drinking, might be important risk factors for acquiring COVID-19."
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

What does "science" say is the reason a number of the countries in Europe who had the most restrictions have a higher number of cases per capita than the U.S.?
As far as I know the only European country with a higher number of cases per capita is Belgium, which was relatively lax compared to its neighbors.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

As far as I know the only European country with a higher number of cases per capita is Belgium, which was relatively lax compared to its neighbors.
https://www.newsweek.com/eu-surpasses-us-new-covid-cases-per-capita-nations-prepare-winter-third-wave-1541491

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/covid-europe-records/2020/10/15/0126c256-0ee7-11eb-b404-8d1e675ec701_story.html

Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

According to your article it is: "Exposures and activities where mask use and social distancing are difficult to maintain, including going to places that offer on-site eating or drinking, might be important risk factors for acquiring COVID-19."

"Might."

Well, in that case, let's shut down all non-essential businesses for 5 months!

LTbear
Doc Holliday said:

Also no travel.

I missed the part where he said lockdown. Weird.
LTbear
ATL Bear said:

Or people to wear them. I've seen fat dumbasses scream to high heaven about "muh rights!" and "how dare you!?!" in the middle of a Walgreens where, you know, other people where lined up to get their medicine. And I've seen ant-mask rallies. The utter stupidity of these delicate little snowflakes is incredible. That they're all being whiny little snowflakes is the height of irony.
Mothra
LTbear said:

ATL Bear said:

Or people to wear them. I've seen fat dumbasses scream to high heaven about "muh rights!" and "how dare you!?!" in the middle of a Walgreens where, you know, other people where lined up to get their medicine. And I've seen ant-mask rallies. The utter stupidity of these delicate little snowflakes is incredible. That they're all being whiny little snowflakes is the height of irony.
The vast majority of people are wearing masks. As I said, I can count one one hand the number of times I've seen people in public spaces not wearing them since the mandate took effect months ago. That's not the reason the virus is spreading.
LTbear
Mothra said:

LTbear said:

ATL Bear said:

The vast majority of people are wearing masks. As I said, I can count one one hand the number of times I've seen people in public spaces not wearing them since the mandate took effect months ago. That's not the reason the virus is spreading.

That's just anecdote. Anecdotally, I've seen lots of people not wearing masks.

Don't misunderstand me though, I'm not suggesting that's THE reason it's getting worse, only that it's certainly a contributing factor in many places.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.