Olympics

11,383 Views | 216 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Canon
Jack Bauer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Canon said:

Porteroso said:

Jack Bauer said:

Simone Biles withdraws from individual gymnastics competition.

Social media praises her as "heroic" for quitting. This will be the new media talking point - are athletics too much pressure for our kids?

Do you have a problem with it? Reminds me of all those that think they are entitled to watching NCAA athletes play without pay. What these athletes choose is alright with me. I'm disappointed, sure, but go team USA.
There's (at a base level minimum) a tacit contract with the American people that if you try out for a spot on the Olympic team, you will give your all as a representative of our country....that you won't simply quit. She just up and quit like a little child. Talent is pointless if you refuse to use it when it counts. If you the pilot of a plane but refuse to fly it, you are as valuable as the luggage in the overhead bin. It turns out, we should have checked that sack of crap at the curb.

Whether it is the Olympics or Little League, sports teaches some very valuable life lessons beyond the scoreboard:

• Give 110%
  • Finish what you started
  • Don't ever QUIT

Every athlete has endured a butt kicking, every athlete has had bad moments, but the great ones persevere.
Porteroso
Canon said:

Porteroso said:

Jack Bauer said:

Social media praises her as "heroic" for quitting. This will be the new media talking point - are athletics too much pressure for our kids?

Do you have a problem with it? Reminds me of all those that think they are entitled to watching NCAA athletes play without pay. What these athletes choose is alright with me. I'm disappointed, sure, but go team USA.
There's (at a base level minimum) a tacit contract with the American people that if you try out for a spot on the Olympic team, you will give your all as a representative of our country....that you won't simply quit. She just up and quit like a little child. Talent is pointless if you refuse to use it when it counts. If you the pilot of a plane but refuse to fly it, you are as valuable as the luggage in the overhead bin. It turns out, we should have checked that sack of crap at the curb.

I can appreciate this. I'm not sure I'd call what she did bravery, but at the same time, nobody really knows the real reason yet. I'm willing to give her the bfnefit of the doubt.

If it turns out she started off with some below average performances, then decided to just quit, I'll get on your train. I bet there is something more. She's doing the right thing by not going into detail. No need to take attention away from the other athletes until it's all over.
boognish_bear
I'm no expert in gymnastics, but I've read other high level gymnasts that are talking about going through something similar mentally where you suddenly lose your sense of where you are in the air. They talked about how dangerous it can be to try and continue when you develop this phenomenon. They said once it develops it can take weeks of practice in the gym to get past. They compared it to getting the yips in other sports.

If you get the yips in golf or ping pong or something similar you could keep on competing. Your performance would slip, but you would be safe. It's a different story when you are running full speed at a vault or flying off a balance beam.
boognish_bear
Forest Bueller_bf
boognish_bear said:

I'm no expert in gymnastics, but I've read other high level gymnasts that are talking about going through something similar mentally where you suddenly lose your sense of where you are in the air. They talked about how dangerous it can be to try and continue when you develop this phenomenon. They said once it develops it can take weeks of practice in the gym to get past. They compared it to getting the yips in other sports.

If you get the yips in golf or ping pong or something similar you could keep on competing. Your performance would slip, but you would be safe. It's a different story when you are running full speed at a vault or flying off a balance beam.
Yep. You could get killed dropping from as high as they jump and landing on your head.
Forest Bueller_bf
Carlos Cruz said:

whitetrash said:

Roberto Duran: the most famous quitter in sports history...

until Biles says "hold my resin bag."
Sugar Ray was my childhood favorite.
Dang boxing used to be an exiting sport. Duran was a total badass, but on that day he just wasn't go to take any more humiliation.

Sugar Ray was totally on, and so quick that day Duran simply had no chance.
Whiskey Pete
Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

Imagine Tom Brady not coming out for the second half because of anxiety
Women want to talk about double standards - well here is a double standard.

Imagine Michael Phelps, Kobe Bryant, Tiger, Jordan, etc just QUITTING because things were not going well. NOBODY would give them any praise like Biles is getting.

Katie Ledecky finished 5th in the 200M freestyle which is uncharacteristic for her but she didn't QUIT the other races.
Move on to another GOAT, imagine Michael Jordan not coming out because of anxiety.

Dude would have to be darn near dead to not play.

That said I understand her doing this. She has been cast in an imagine where the full weight of the Olympics, at least gymnastics, were on her. Jordan would embrace it. She has had enough trama in her life that it overtook her. Do not want to see her landing on her head and dying just to prove a point. She was way way off.

She is not 15 years old, she is a grown ass 24 year old woman in her 3rd Olympics!

Overall, Biles is a great person and tremendous athlete. But to call this decision "heroic" boggles my mind!
So, quitters are heroes now? Not surprised, coming from the left.

The term hero has been so over used; it's been completely diluted and mean barely anything anymore.

Pretty soon, high school drop outs will be "heroes", throw in anyone who has the courage to accept public assistance or is brave enough to go vote or shows no fear when trying to wrestle a cop's gun away.
BaylorBJM
Rawhide said:

WacoKelly83 said:

Not a great start

https://nypost.com/2021/07/24/team-usa-makes-the-wrong-kind-of-olympic-history/
Biden's America

Leading the metal count?

America. **** yea.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
BaylorBJM said:

Rawhide said:

WacoKelly83 said:

Not a great start

https://nypost.com/2021/07/24/team-usa-makes-the-wrong-kind-of-olympic-history/
Biden's America

Leading the metal count?

America. **** yea.
Medal.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
BaylorBJM
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

lThat pretty much sums up where our country is right now. We are no longer a bully on the world stage. Just a hapless victim.

top medal getter in the Olympics right now with our best sports yet to come.

Can't wait for more RD2 sports insights!! Like his polling results as judge, they never cease to impress!

I suppose that's why he was run off the football boards after his non-stop Rhule comments on how he'll never win any games
BaylorBJM
Oldbear83 said:

The Biden Olympics - late, clumsy, overpromised, underdelivered, sometimes Anti-American.

I have no reason to give them even a moment's attention." -says this staunch anti-American

Sorry you hate our country.

Maybe move to Canada like you promised a couple months ago you coward.

lulz
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
BaylorBJM said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

lThat pretty much sums up where our country is right now. We are no longer a bully on the world stage. Just a hapless victim.

Can't wait for more RD2 sports insights!! Like his polling results as judge, they never cease to impress!

I suppose that's why he was run off the football boards after his non-stop Rhule comments on how he'll never win any games
Medal.

-- Barack Obama
BaylorBJM
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

BaylorBJM said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Medal.

4.1% of registered voters
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
BaylorBJM said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

BaylorBJM said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Medal.

Medal. Not metal.

-- Barack Obama
Oldbear83
BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

The Biden Olympics - late, clumsy, overpromised, underdelivered, sometimes Anti-American.

I have no reason to give them even a moment's attention." -says this staunch anti-American

lulz
1. I love America far more than you do

2. I never promised to 'move to Canada'. You seem to have me confused with the voices in your head ... again.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
BaylorBJM
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

BaylorBJM said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

BaylorBJM said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Medal.

Medal. Not metal.

Last, only to margin or error.

Tight race between you and MoE though.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
BaylorBJM said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

BaylorBJM said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

BaylorBJM said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Medal.

Medal. Not metal.

Last, only to margin or error.

Tight race between you and MoE though.
Whatever, Little Man. Have a good evening.

-- Barack Obama
Canon
Rawhide said:

Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

Imagine Michael Phelps, Kobe Bryant, Tiger, Jordan, etc just QUITTING because things were not going well. NOBODY would give them any praise like Biles is getting.

Katie Ledecky finished 5th in the 200M freestyle which is uncharacteristic for her but she didn't QUIT the other races.
Move on to another GOAT, imagine Michael Jordan not coming out because of anxiety.

That said I understand her doing this. She has been cast in an imagine where the full weight of the Olympics, at least gymnastics, were on her. Jordan would embrace it. She has had enough trama in her life that it overtook her. Do not want to see her landing on her head and dying just to prove a point. She was way way off.

She is not 15 years old, she is a grown ass 24 year old woman in her 3rd Olympics!

Overall, Biles is a great person and tremendous athlete. But to call this decision "heroic" boggles my mind!

The term hero has been so over used; it's been completely diluted and mean barely anything anymore.

Pretty soon, high school drop outs will be "heroes", throw in anyone who has the courage to accept public assistance or is brave enough to go vote or shows no fear when trying to wrestle a cop's gun away.

My wife was a competitive gymnast and her take on this is as follows.

1. The 'yips' are not a thing. Elite gymnasts don't lose air sense. She was probably just pissed she wasn't hitting her harder skills and didn't want to risk embarrassment.

2. Every elite gymnast, if they are missing key skills in their warmup has a secondary routine with easier skills as a backup. Biles had an easier routine she could have done, but didn't want to give the judges the satisfaction of seeing her not do the tougher skills they had preemptively denied points for....and didn't want to be embarrassed by not doing them, after she'd hyped them up.

3. You work out 5-8+ hours per day (well more to go to the Olympics) to be competitive for advanced competition. Team meets only happen at elite levels. If you are on a team, you beat out others. The team gets best 3 scores out of 4 participants. She just put massively more pressure on the team mates she abandoned than what she claimed to suffer. She let them down by cowardly quitting.

4. She's no hero. She's not brave. She's a selfish quitter.

BaylorBJM
Oldbear83 said:

BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

lulz

2. I never promised to 'move to Canada'. You seem to have me confused with the voices in your head ... again.

Surejan.gif

Remember a few weeks ago when you posted that every military veteran who voted Democrat really hated America full stop?

That was real patriotic of you.

Tell us more about how you're a champion of the military.

Real message board warrior this Canon Coward
Oldbear83
BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

lulz

Surejan.gif

Remember a few weeks ago when you posted that every military veteran who voted Democrat really hated America full stop?

Dude, trying reading the name next time.

I am not Canon. I don't use sock puppets if that's where you are going, and you are proving yourself a braying ass with posts like that.

To coin Mr. Hand's phrase in 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High', are you on drugs?

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Canon said:

Rawhide said:

Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

1. The 'yips' are not a thing. Elite gymnasts don't lose air sense. She was probably just pissed she wasn't hitting her harder skills and didn't want to risk embarrassment.

2. Every elite gymnast, if they are missing key skills in their warmup has a secondary routine with easier skills as a backup. Biles had an easier routine she could have done, but didn't want to give the judges the satisfaction of seeing her not do the tougher skills they had preemptively denied points for....and didn't want to be embarrassed by not doing them, after she'd hyped them up.

3. You work out 5-8+ hours per day (well more to go to the Olympics) to be competitive for advanced competition. Team meets only happen at elite levels. If you are on a team, you beat out others. The team gets best 3 scores out of 4 participants. She just put massively more pressure on the team mates she abandoned than what she claimed to suffer. She let them down by cowardly quitting.

I love you man, but I think you are being way too hard on Simone Biles. Wish she would have finished out her career with perfection, but it did not happen. She is the GOAT. Nobody can take that from her.

We should all be embracing and celebrating her teammate, Sunni Lee. She stepped up an won the Gold in the all-around. A much younger and less experienced athlete. Am very proud of Sunni. Yeah, I think Simone is 24 but I still consider her a kid. Hope she is able to get through and slay the demons that are troubling her. I wish her nothing but the best going forward.

-- Barack Obama
BaylorBJM
Oldbear83 said:

BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

lulz

Surejan.gif

Dude, trying reading the name next time.

I am not Canon. I don't use sock puppets if that's where you are going, and you are proving yourself a braying ass with posts like that.

To coin Mr. Hand's phrase in 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High', are you on drugs?

You're right. Not the same handles <wink, wink>

83/not Canon earlier in this thread: I have no reason to give them even a moment's attention.

What a PATRIOT!
Florda_mike
Oldbear83 said:

BaylorBJM said:

Oldbear83 said:

lulz

BJM like NoZe both seem psychotic to me too

Intelligence mixed with psychotic drugs can lead to bad trips and they may never come back
Florda_mike
83, I'd suggest doing same you've told me and give a rest with this BJM dude

He cra cra
Canon
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canon said:

Rawhide said:

Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

I love you man, but I think you are being way too hard on Simone Biles. Wish she would have finished out her career with perfection, but it did not happen. She is the GOAT. Nobody can take that from her.

We should all be embracing and celebrating her teammate, Sunni Lee. She stepped up an won the Gold in the all-around. A much younger and less experienced athlete. Am very proud of Sunni. Yeah, I think Simone is 24 but I still consider her a kid. Hope she is able to get through and slay the demons that are troubling her. I wish her nothing but the best going forward.

I'll relay your message to my (former competitive gymnast) wife whose thoughts these were.

I found it interesting that all gymnasts at this level have an easier backup routine and I didn't know that being on a team is rare (only elite) and kind of sought after in a very solitary sport. My wife's take on the best 3/4 scores in light of this explains her disdain for Biles' quitting.
Jack Bauer
Canon said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canon said:

Rawhide said:

Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

I'll relay your message to my (former competitive gymnast) wife whose thoughts these were.

Welcome to the new world...can't wait to see kids quitting due to 'mental health'.
--
After Tuesday's meet, she broke down as she told reporters, "This Olympic Games, I wanted it to be for myself. But I was still doing it for other people. It hurts my heart that doing what I love has been kind of taken away from me to please other people."

Instead of labeling this night a dsappointment for the American team, perhaps it's a time to celebrate the ushering in of a new era: one in which gold medals take a backseat to mental health.
Canon
Jack Bauer said:

Canon said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canon said:

Rawhide said:

Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

Welcome to the new world...can't wait to see kids quitting due to 'mental health'.
--
After Tuesday's meet, she broke down as she told reporters, "This Olympic Games, I wanted it to be for myself. But I was still doing it for other people. It hurts my heart that doing what I love has been kind of taken away from me to please other people."

Instead of labeling this night a dsappointment for the American team, perhaps it's a time to celebrate the ushering in of a new era: one in which gold medals take a backseat to mental health.

This Olympics is a huge black eye for the "gender is a social construct crowd."

No man alive would do what she did and not get soundly (and rightly) ridiculed. But let a woman do it and she's 'brave'.
Jack Bauer
Canon said:

Jack Bauer said:

Canon said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canon said:

Rawhide said:

Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

--

This Olympics is a huge black eye for the "gender is a social construct crowd."

No man alive would do what she did and not get soundly (and rightly) ridiculed. But let a woman do it and she's 'brave'.
yep - just like Naomi Osaka.

Men would never just quit a major sporting event on the spot...but I fear that is what is coming now with this generation of parents. When a kid gets tired, frustrated, upset about his sport, he can just "take a break" for his mental health.
Oldbear83
Florda_mike said:

He cra cra
I agree, Florda. I normally don't put people on ignore, but wow, BJM is way out there.
BaylorBJM
Oldbear83 said:

Florda_mike said:

He cra cra
I agree, Florda. I normally don't put people on ignore, but wow, BJM is way out there.
Forest Bueller_bf
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canon said:

Rawhide said:

Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

Sunni won but it was the worst finals I can remember. She basically won by default. Her score would have gotten 11th or 12th place in the 2016 Finals, they just simply weren't as proficient this year.

Now back to Biles, they showed her working out on uneven bars with deep padding to land on, over and over she landed on her back, the back of her head, really really bad, she could have been hurt badly.

She looked as bad as that make a wish kicker they allowed to kick extra points this past fall, she was that bad.
Forest Bueller_bf
Canon said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canon said:

Rawhide said:

Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

I found it interesting that all gymnasts at this level have an easier backup routine and I didn't know that being on a team is rare (only elite) and kind of sought after in a very solitary sport. My wife's take on the best 3/4 scores in light of this explains her disdain for Biles' quitting.
It could be Biles is too prideful to resort to her backup routine after her being crowned the GOAT, and her even having goats embroidered into some of her travel stuff. Maybe she just refuses to be second fiddle, because the way she was performing, that's where she would have been.

I'm surprised that angle has gotten zero attention. She may legitimately not wanted to get beaten badly.
Jack Bauer
I see pole vault and 100m 1st heats start tomorrow (tonight - Texas time)

Good luck, Bears!!
Florda_mike
Forest Bueller_bf said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canon said:

Rawhide said:

Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

Sunni won but it was the worst finals I can remember. She basically won by default. Her score would have gotten 11th or 12th place in the 2016 Finals, they just simply weren't as proficient this year.

Now back to Biles, they showed her working out on uneven bars with deep padding to land on, over and over she landed on her back, the back of her head, really really bad, she could have been hurt badly.

She looked as bad as that make a wish kicker they allowed to kick extra points this past fall, she was that bad.

What in the world do they think went wrong with Biles???
Canon
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Canon said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canon said:

Rawhide said:

Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

It could be Biles is too prideful to resort to her backup routine after her being crowned the GOAT, and her even having goats embroidered into some of her travel stuff. Maybe she just refuses to be second fiddle, because the way she was performing, that's where she would have been.

I'm surprised that angle has gotten zero attention. She may legitimately not wanted to get beaten badly.

The perspective of someone who (20 years ago) would have loved to go to the Olympics was enlightening for me in an inside baseball sort of way. It was interesting she called BS on the yips thing. She did say that over time you will eventually lose air sense (as an older coach) with regard to twisting (fulls) first and then (many years later) flipping. But that's not something that Biles would be experiencing now.

The backup routine was complete news to me, but it makes sense. Apparently Biles had some hot s-it new and near impossible skills she was going to throw, which the Olympic judges had already said they weren't going to give her full points fir because if she hit them, no one else would have a chance. If she thought she wasn't going to hit them that day, she'd be embarrassed by first not doing them and second by losing the high road of doing them without appropriate point values awarded.

This wasn't mental health for her. This was the 'me monster' brat.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.