Olympics

11,351 Views | 216 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Canon
Forest Bueller_bf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Florda_mike said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canon said:

Rawhide said:

Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

Simone Biles withdraws from individual gymnastics competition.

Social media praises her as "heroic" for quitting. This will be the new media talking point - are athletics too much pressure for our kids?
Imagine Tom Brady not coming out for the second half because of anxiety
Women want to talk about double standards - well here is a double standard.

Imagine Michael Phelps, Kobe Bryant, Tiger, Jordan, etc just QUITTING because things were not going well. NOBODY would give them any praise like Biles is getting.

Katie Ledecky finished 5th in the 200M freestyle which is uncharacteristic for her but she didn't QUIT the other races.
Move on to another GOAT, imagine Michael Jordan not coming out because of anxiety.

Dude would have to be darn near dead to not play.

That said I understand her doing this. She has been cast in an imagine where the full weight of the Olympics, at least gymnastics, were on her. Jordan would embrace it. She has had enough trama in her life that it overtook her. Do not want to see her landing on her head and dying just to prove a point. She was way way off.

She is not 15 years old, she is a grown ass 24 year old woman in her 3rd Olympics!

Overall, Biles is a great person and tremendous athlete. But to call this decision "heroic" boggles my mind!
So, quitters are heroes now? Not surprised, coming from the left.

The term hero has been so over used; it's been completely diluted and mean barely anything anymore.

Pretty soon, high school drop outs will be "heroes", throw in anyone who has the courage to accept public assistance or is brave enough to go vote or shows no fear when trying to wrestle a cop's gun away.

My wife was a competitive gymnast and her take on this is as follows.

1. The 'yips' are not a thing. Elite gymnasts don't lose air sense. She was probably just pissed she wasn't hitting her harder skills and didn't want to risk embarrassment.

2. Every elite gymnast, if they are missing key skills in their warmup has a secondary routine with easier skills as a backup. Biles had an easier routine she could have done, but didn't want to give the judges the satisfaction of seeing her not do the tougher skills they had preemptively denied points for....and didn't want to be embarrassed by not doing them, after she'd hyped them up.

3. You work out 5-8+ hours per day (well more to go to the Olympics) to be competitive for advanced competition. Team meets only happen at elite levels. If you are on a team, you beat out others. The team gets best 3 scores out of 4 participants. She just put massively more pressure on the team mates she abandoned than what she claimed to suffer. She let them down by cowardly quitting.

4. She's no hero. She's not brave. She's a selfish quitter.

I love you man, but I think you are being way too hard on Simone Biles. Wish she would have finished out her career with perfection, but it did not happen. She is the GOAT. Nobody can take that from her.

We should all be embracing and celebrating her teammate, Sunni Lee. She stepped up an won the Gold in the all-around. A much younger and less experienced athlete. Am very proud of Sunni. Yeah, I think Simone is 24 but I still consider her a kid. Hope she is able to get through and slay the demons that are troubling her. I wish her nothing but the best going forward.
Sunni won but it was the worst finals I can remember. She basically won by default. Her score would have gotten 11th or 12th place in the 2016 Finals, they just simply weren't as proficient this year.

Now back to Biles, they showed her working out on uneven bars with deep padding to land on, over and over she landed on her back, the back of her head, really really bad, she could have been hurt badly.

She looked as bad as that make a wish kicker they allowed to kick extra points this past fall, she was that bad.

What in the world do they think went wrong with Biles???
I don't think no matter how much they discuss it, they will ever really know, I'm not sure she really knows.
Jack Bauer
Ok.

So....let's also fire every female reporter covering male sports.

Booray
Canon said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Canon said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canon said:

Rawhide said:

Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

Social media praises her as "heroic" for quitting. This will be the new media talking point - are athletics too much pressure for our kids?

Imagine Michael Phelps, Kobe Bryant, Tiger, Jordan, etc just QUITTING because things were not going well. NOBODY would give them any praise like Biles is getting.

Katie Ledecky finished 5th in the 200M freestyle which is uncharacteristic for her but she didn't QUIT the other races.
Move on to another GOAT, imagine Michael Jordan not coming out because of anxiety.

That said I understand her doing this. She has been cast in an imagine where the full weight of the Olympics, at least gymnastics, were on her. Jordan would embrace it. She has had enough trama in her life that it overtook her. Do not want to see her landing on her head and dying just to prove a point. She was way way off.

She is not 15 years old, she is a grown ass 24 year old woman in her 3rd Olympics!

Overall, Biles is a great person and tremendous athlete. But to call this decision "heroic" boggles my mind!

The term hero has been so over used; it's been completely diluted and mean barely anything anymore.

Pretty soon, high school drop outs will be "heroes", throw in anyone who has the courage to accept public assistance or is brave enough to go vote or shows no fear when trying to wrestle a cop's gun away.

1. The 'yips' are not a thing. Elite gymnasts don't lose air sense. She was probably just pissed she wasn't hitting her harder skills and didn't want to risk embarrassment.

2. Every elite gymnast, if they are missing key skills in their warmup has a secondary routine with easier skills as a backup. Biles had an easier routine she could have done, but didn't want to give the judges the satisfaction of seeing her not do the tougher skills they had preemptively denied points for....and didn't want to be embarrassed by not doing them, after she'd hyped them up.

3. You work out 5-8+ hours per day (well more to go to the Olympics) to be competitive for advanced competition. Team meets only happen at elite levels. If you are on a team, you beat out others. The team gets best 3 scores out of 4 participants. She just put massively more pressure on the team mates she abandoned than what she claimed to suffer. She let them down by cowardly quitting.

I love you man, but I think you are being way too hard on Simone Biles. Wish she would have finished out her career with perfection, but it did not happen. She is the GOAT. Nobody can take that from her.

We should all be embracing and celebrating her teammate, Sunni Lee. She stepped up an won the Gold in the all-around. A much younger and less experienced athlete. Am very proud of Sunni. Yeah, I think Simone is 24 but I still consider her a kid. Hope she is able to get through and slay the demons that are troubling her. I wish her nothing but the best going forward.

I'll relay your message to my (former competitive gymnast) wife whose thoughts these were.

I found it interesting that all gymnasts at this level have an easier backup routine and I didn't know that being on a team is rare (only elite) and kind of sought after in a very solitary sport. My wife's take on the best 3/4 scores in light of this explains her disdain for Biles' quitting.
It could be Biles is too prideful to resort to her backup routine after her being crowned the GOAT, and her even having goats embroidered into some of her travel stuff. Maybe she just refuses to be second fiddle, because the way she was performing, that's where she would have been.

I'm surprised that angle has gotten zero attention. She may legitimately not wanted to get beaten badly.

The perspective of someone who (20 years ago) would have loved to go to the Olympics was enlightening for me in an inside baseball sort of way. It was interesting she called BS on the yips thing. She did say that over time you will eventually lose air sense (as an older coach) with regard to twisting (fulls) first and then (many years later) flipping. But that's not something that Biles would be experiencing now.

The backup routine was complete news to me, but it makes sense. Apparently Biles had some hot s-it new and near impossible skills she was going to throw, which the Olympic judges had already said they weren't going to give her full points fir because if she hit them, no one else would have a chance. If she thought she wasn't going to hit them that day, she'd be embarrassed by first not doing them and second by losing the high road of doing them without appropriate point values awarded.

This wasn't mental health for her. This was the 'me monster' brat.
You have expended a lot of energy on this to get it so wrong.

First point and it matches what your wife said: yes, Simone had a back up routine. That was the routine she flamed out on, not her super trick. She had decided not to do her new stuff before the competition even started.

Second point: her inability to do the easier trick caused a really low score. . Not "low for Simone Biles" but "low for anybody in the competition." If she repeated that performance on any of the next three events, USA would have been out of the medal hunt. They were far enough back because of Simone's vault score that a gold was highly unlikely. So withdrawing was the right thing to do for the team. Her decision proved out and her team got the best possible result from where they sat when the decision was made.

None of us know her actual motivations for withdrawing, but it was the right thing to do for the team.

Jack Bauer
"Males do not have a competitive advantage"

Please watch the last 2 legs of this race
*By the way - USA was NOT DQd in this race, the official made an error and they were reinstated.

Florda_mike
Are you sure they weren't DQed?

Didn't look good on that exchange?
Forest Bueller_bf
Jack Bauer said:

*By the way - USA was NOT DQd in this race, the official made an error and they were reinstated.

Wow, they definitely looked outside the zone.
Jack Bauer
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Wow, they definitely looked outside the zone.
Wrecks Quan Dough
They got away with it.
Canon
Booray said:

Canon said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Canon said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canon said:

Rawhide said:

Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

I'll relay your message to my (former competitive gymnast) wife whose thoughts these were.

I found it interesting that all gymnasts at this level have an easier backup routine and I didn't know that being on a team is rare (only elite) and kind of sought after in a very solitary sport. My wife's take on the best 3/4 scores in light of this explains her disdain for Biles' quitting.
It could be Biles is too prideful to resort to her backup routine after her being crowned the GOAT, and her even having goats embroidered into some of her travel stuff. Maybe she just refuses to be second fiddle, because the way she was performing, that's where she would have been.

I'm surprised that angle has gotten zero attention. She may legitimately not wanted to get beaten badly.

The perspective of someone who (20 years ago) would have loved to go to the Olympics was enlightening for me in an inside baseball sort of way. It was interesting she called BS on the yips thing. She did say that over time you will eventually lose air sense (as an older coach) with regard to twisting (fulls) first and then (many years later) flipping. But that's not something that Biles would be experiencing now.

The backup routine was complete news to me, but it makes sense. Apparently Biles had some hot s-it new and near impossible skills she was going to throw, which the Olympic judges had already said they weren't going to give her full points fir because if she hit them, no one else would have a chance. If she thought she wasn't going to hit them that day, she'd be embarrassed by first not doing them and second by losing the high road of doing them without appropriate point values awarded.

First point and it matches what your wife said: yes, Simone had a back up routine. That was the routine she flamed out on, not her super trick. She had decided not to do her new stuff before the competition even started.

Second point: her inability to do the easier trick caused a really low score. . Not "low for Simone Biles" but "low for anybody in the competition." If she repeated that performance on any of the next three events, USA would have been out of the medal hunt. They were far enough back because of Simone's vault score that a gold was highly unlikely. So withdrawing was the right thing to do for the team. Her decision proved out and her team got the best possible result from where they sat when the decision was made.

None of us know her actual motivations for withdrawing, but it was the right thing to do for the team.

I appreciate your thoughts but I'm going to do what I've done for two decades and listen to my wife.
Florda_mike
Carlos Cruz said:

They got away with it.

Yep they sure did

Better teach that gal what those lines mean as in that interview she had no clue at all! Or pull her
Booray
Canon said:

Booray said:

Canon said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Canon said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canon said:

Rawhide said:

Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

I appreciate your thoughts but I'm going to do what I've done for two decades and listen to my wife.
Probably a good idea for a variety of reasons
Jack Bauer
Baylor's KC Lightfoot qualified for the pole vault finals which will be held Tuesday (Tokyo Time)!
Jack Bauer
Trayvon Bromell first heat for 100M qualifying will be Sat 6AM Texas time.
Jack Bauer
Katie Ledecky wins the 800m freestyle.

She owns the 24 fastest times ever for the event!!!!
Jack Bauer
Preach it, Bill!!

Booray
Jack Bauer said:

Almost blows it. Finished fourth in the heat and barely scrapes into the next round. Hopefully just a blip.
Jack Bauer
Booray said:

Jack Bauer said:

Almost blows it. Finished fourth in the heat and barely scrapes into the next round. Hopefully just a blip.

Adegoke passes Bromell in tight finish, wins 100m round

https://www.nbcolympics.com/videos/adegoke-passes-bromell-tight-finish-wins-100m-round
Florda_mike
Idk can't tell if Bromell was cruising to 3rd or lacks customary acceleration

I'd certainly guess the former though

When's next 100 Heat for him?
Jack Bauer
Florda_mike said:

American Trayvon Bromell, who owns the fastest time this year of 9.77sec, scraped into the men's 100m semis after timing 10.05 to finish fourth in his heat

The semi-finals and finals both take place on Sunday evening, local time, in Tokyo.
Florda_mike
Jack Bauer said:

Florda_mike said:

The semi-finals and finals both take place on Sunday evening, local time, in Tokyo.

Let's pray for him everyone!

He's most talented, presently in field
Jack Bauer
3 semi races

Qualification Rules: First 2 in each heat (Q) and the next 2 fastest (q) advance to the Final
Wrecks Quan Dough
Our female discus thrower could pass for a model.
Canon
Carlos Cruz said:

Well the woke shot put broad.....

Jacques Strap
If you are looking for someone to root for check out USA's WR holder Sydney McLaughlin 400m hurdles (lane 5)

LOL can't get Youtube to work. Just google it.

Wrecks Quan Dough
Jacques Strap said:

If you are looking for someone to root for check out USA's WR holder Sydney McLaughlin 400m hurdles (lane 5)

LOL can't get Youtube to work. Just google it.

There is no shortage of USA athletes to cheer for. The problem is we have few virtue-signaling, white-washed tombs who run their country down and suck the air out of the room for the other athletes. Go Sydney! Go USA!
Jack Bauer
I think we found our next ESPY Courage Award winner. No particular athletic achievements but plenty of social statements!

Laurel Hubbard, transgender weightlifter, exits Olympic competition early after failing on all three attempts

Quote:

TOKYO Laurel Hubbard, a transgender weightlifter from New Zealand, was knocked out of the women's 87+ kilogram competition early after failing on all three of her attempts.
Hubbard failed on her first attempt to get 120kg above her head, bailing out early. On her second attempt at 125kg, she was able to get the weight up and pumped her fist after in satisfaction, however judges ruled it a "no lift."

She returned quickly for another attempt at 125kg only to fail to stand up with the weight above her head. Hubbard was the only one of the 13 finalists to not complete at least one lift.
whitetrash
Jack Bauer said:

I think we found our next ESPY Courage Award winner. No particular athletic achievements but plenty of social statements!

Laurel Hubbard, transgender weightlifter, exits Olympic competition early after failing on all three attempts

Quote:

TOKYO Laurel Hubbard, a transgender weightlifter from New Zealand, was knocked out of the women's 87+ kilogram competition early after failing on all three of her attempts.
Hubbard failed on her first attempt to get 120kg above her head, bailing out early. On her second attempt at 125kg, she was able to get the weight up and pumped her fist after in satisfaction, however judges ruled it a "no lift."

She returned quickly for another attempt at 125kg only to fail to stand up with the weight above her head. Hubbard was the only one of the 13 finalists to not complete at least one lift.

Apparently completing a lift and having a pecker are mutually exclusive.
Jack Bauer
whitetrash said:

Jack Bauer said:

Quote:

Apparently completing a lift and having a pecker are mutually exclusive.

Finishing dead ass last. SUCH BRAVERY!!!!!
whitetrash
Canon said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Quoted as saying "If the IOC tries to take my medal (for protesting), I'm making a run for the border."

Too bad these Olympics weren't in Seoul.
Wrecks Quan Dough
whitetrash said:

Canon said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Quoted as saying "If the IOC tries to take my medal (for protesting), I'm making a run for the border."

They should take the medal from her right now. The border would be the Atlantic Ocean.
Forest Bueller_bf
whitetrash said:

Canon said:

Carlos Cruz said:

A true protest would be to refuse to go to the Olympics. If someone in their heart truly believes this is the "Evil Empire" as they act, they should refuse to represent the country, that would be the only legitimate protest.

What we are really seeing a a bunch of attention hungry athletes angling for acclaim and often $$.
Jack Bauer
Forest Bueller_bf said:

whitetrash said:

Canon said:

Carlos Cruz said:

A true protest would be to refuse to go to the Olympics. If someone in their heart truly believes this is the "Evil Empire" as they act, they should refuse to represent the country, that would be the only legitimate protest.

What we are really seeing a a bunch of attention hungry athletes angling for acclaim and often $$.

Example: Naomi Osaka

Too stressed out and tired to <checks notes> take questions from reporters at the French Open.

Following week: poses in Sports Illustrated swimsuit magazine.
Forest Bueller_bf
Jack Bauer said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

whitetrash said:

Canon said:

Carlos Cruz said:

Example: Naomi Osaka

Too stressed out and tired to <checks notes> take questions from reporters at the French Open.

Following week: poses in Sports Illustrated swimsuit magazine.

Not sure what is going on with athletes. Combine the most talented, most privileged people that have ever lived, combined with everybody gets a trophy culture and we have what we have.

Anxiety is real, I knew a person that literally could not leave their house without an attack, spinning head, nausia, other stomach issues, real issues like diarrhea. This went on for months.

I don't see this with these athletes, but it's something.
Jack Bauer

Wrecks Quan Dough
Jack Bauer said:

She got about a foot and a half higher than a male counterpart who did the same skill. She is an absolute champion.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.