Olympics

11,372 Views | 216 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Canon
Jack Bauer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Florda_mike said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Our NBA superstars just lost their opening game to France, 83-76. Lost to a bunch of Frenchmen!!! That pretty much sums up where our country is right now. We are no longer a bully on the world stage. Just a hapless victim. Maybe Popovich will get to come home early.

Well maybe the feminine side of Pop can lead the team wearing blm shirts coming home early?

Winning doesn't matter as long as Vox and Huffington Post applaud Pop for insulting Trump.
Thee University
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Our NBA superstars just lost their opening game to France, 83-76. Lost to a bunch of Frenchmen!!! That pretty much sums up where our country is right now. We are no longer a bully on the world stage. Just a hapless victim. Maybe Popovich will get to come home early.
Pop-A-Zit needs to retire to his winery in California. Talk about a sellout. I suppose he owes the NBA though so he is going to toe the line, sing the praises of being woke, China, etc.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Porteroso
Of course I'm watching a bit. It's not like I watch ping pong or archery all the time, but every 4 years, the best in the world competing, it's fun.

Some of you are too busy navel gazing, being embarrassed about Americans expressing their freedoms to watch, and to that, I just say you're in good company. Left wingers have been too embarrassed of America to root for us for a few decades now. About time you right wingers join the pity party!
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Thee University said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Pop-A-Zit needs to retire to his winery in California. Talk about a sellout. I suppose he owes the NBA though so he is going to toe the line, sing the praises of being woke, China, etc.
The most shocking fun fact about Pop is that he is a graduate of the Air Force Academy. Go figure!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Jack Bauer
Gotta cheer for Simone Biles though, she is awesome!

Simone Biles is set to compete in all six finals -- team, individual all-around, floor exercise, beam, uneven bars and vault -- at the Tokyo Olympics despite an uncharacteristically shaky performance from most of the United States women's team during qualifications. She'll be the first woman to compete in all six artistic gymnastics finals at one Olympics since Shannon Miller and Lavinia Milosovici did so in 1992. Biles competed in five finals at the Rio Olympics, missing out on uneven bars.
Jack Bauer
Florda_mike
Former LSU Tracksters talking Track

I like it

Lolo, a big crowd favorite, mentioning the negative aspects of social justice and how it's hurting this Olympics
Osodecentx
USA Gymnastics says Simone Biles is out for 'medical issue'

TOKYO USA Gymnastics has provided a statement on Simone Biles's withdrawal from the team final competition.
"Simone has withdrawn from the team final competition due to a medical issue," the organization said. "She will be assessed daily to determine medical clearance for future competitions."
The nature of the issue is unclear. Biles is on the floor cheering for her teammates as they compete on beam.

Jack Bauer
Japan beats USA 2-0 in Softball gold medal game.
Bexar Pitts
Osodecentx said:

USA Gymnastics says Simone Biles is out for 'medical issue'

TOKYO USA Gymnastics has provided a statement on Simone Biles's withdrawal from the team final competition.
"Simone has withdrawn from the team final competition due to a medical issue," the organization said. "She will be assessed daily to determine medical clearance for future competitions."
The nature of the issue is unclear. Biles is on the floor cheering for her teammates as they compete on beam.

Bummer.
Jack Bauer
US women's gymnastics finishes 2nd to Russia.

Damn - I hope Trayvon can reverse this bad karma

Final Team Standings
ROC - 169.528
USA - 166.096
Great Britain - 164.096
Italy - 163.638
Japan -164.280
France - 163.264
China - 161.196

Jack Bauer
Here is Simone Biles with the mishap on the vault, then seemingly leaving team competition.

She did not appear visibly injured.

Biles appeared to have trouble on her Amanar, a two-and-a-half twisting vault, in warmups and also struggled in competition. She only performed one-and-a-half twists and landed in a deep squat before taking a step forward. Because she did not perform the Amanar her score was significantly lower than her typical marks.

Oldbear83
The Biden Olympics - late, clumsy, overpromised, underdelivered, sometimes Anti-American.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Jack Bauer
Sounds like Biles was not injured but was about to have a mental breakdown.

Quote:

Gymnastics superstar Simone Biles says tennis pro Naomi Osaka inspired her to pull out of the team final after a shock error on her first event, explaining that she needed to 'focus on her wellbeing' while insisting 'there is more to life than just' her sport.

The 24-year-old's dramatic exit from competition cleared the way for Team USA's Russian rivals to claim gold in a dramatic upset following Simone's exit from the event, which she has now revealed was due to her personal mental health struggles.
'To focus on my wellbeing,' she told reporters of her reasons for pulling out of the competition following a sensational flub on the vault. 'And you know, there's more to life than just gymnastics.

'It is very unfortunate that it has to happen at this stage because I definitely wanted this Olympics to go a little bit better but again, we'll take it one day at a time and we're going to see how the rest goes.'
Speaking to the Today show, she added: 'Physically, I feel good, I'm in shape. Emotionally, that kind of varies on the time and moment. Coming to the Olympics and being head star isn't an easy feat, so we're just trying to take it one day at a time and we'll see.'
Simone - who had been expected to lead the US to gold in the team event - was withdrawn from the lineup after flubbing her vault in the opening minutes of the team final competition in Tokyo on Tuesday, however she insisted that she will be fit to take part in the individual all-around this Thursday, despite officials stating that she will have to undergo 'daily assessments' to determine her competition status.
The gymnast admitted that she is 'dealing with some things internally', but vowed to return to competition in time for the all-around final, having gone into the Olympics as the favorite to win the gold.

'I'm OK,' Simone said. 'Just dealing with some things internally which will get fixed out in the next couple of days.'

Jack Bauer
An ESPN sportswriter said Monday he couldn't enjoy the opening ceremonies of the Tokyo Olympics because the presence of the American flag reminded him of the Jan. 6 Capitol riot and the "rise of white nationalism."
Liberal "Undefeated" scribe William Rhoden said on "CBS This Morning" that he had enjoyed covering the Olympics during his long career but felt differently in 2021.

"I love the opening ceremonies, march of countries. Then I realized, you know, man, particularly after these last four years, I had it wrong. Nationalism is not good. We've seen the rise of white nationalism. Nationalism is not good," he said in a clip flagged by NewsBusters. "And also, this whole idea I keep thinking back on the Capitol riots, and I saw a lot of, you know, U.S. flags."

Florda_mike
Oldbear83 said:

The Biden Olympics - late, clumsy, overpromised, underdelivered, sometimes Anti-American.

Jimmy Carter = Joe Biden?
Jack Bauer
Simone Biles withdraws from individual gymnastics competition.

Social media praises her as "heroic" for quitting. This will be the new media talking point - are athletics too much pressure for our kids?
Whiskey Pete
Jack Bauer said:

Social media praises her as "heroic" for quitting. This will be the new media talking point - are athletics too much pressure for our kids?
Wow, does that mean she won't even qualify for the participation trophy liberals love so much?
Florda_mike
Jack Bauer said:

Amen brother

Keepa preachin it
Osodecentx
Jack Bauer said:

Imagine Tom Brady not coming out for the second half because of anxiety
Canon
Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

We've gone from "play through the pain" to "I have the sads, so I'm quitting."

Her Nike ad: "Just Quit It!"
Jack Bauer
Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

Women want to talk about double standards - well here is a double standard.

Imagine Michael Phelps, Kobe Bryant, Tiger, Jordan, etc just QUITTING because things were not going well. NOBODY would give them any praise like Biles is getting.

Katie Ledecky finished 5th in the 200M freestyle which is uncharacteristic for her but she didn't QUIT the other races.
whitetrash
Roberto Duran: the most famous quitter in sports history...

until Biles says "hold my resin bag."
GrowlTowel
NBC's primetime coverage of the Tokyo Olympics continued to spiral downward on Monday, averaging 14.7 million viewers for a 49% drop compared to the equivalent night from the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games.

Monday's telecast also shed 53% of viewers from coverage of the first weeknight primetime during the 2012 London Olympics and declines were even larger among the advertiser-coveted demographic of adults aged 18-49

https://www.foxnews.com/media/nbc-olympics-coverage-spurs-advertiser-anxiety
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Wrecks Quan Dough
whitetrash said:

Roberto Duran: the most famous quitter in sports history...

until Biles says "hold my resin bag."
Sugar Ray was my childhood favorite.
whitetrash
GrowlTowel said:

NBC's primetime coverage of the Tokyo Olympics continued to spiral downward on Monday, averaging 14.7 million viewers for a 49% drop compared to the equivalent night from the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games.

Monday's telecast also shed 53% of viewers from coverage of the first weeknight primetime during the 2012 London Olympics and declines were even larger among the advertiser-coveted demographic of adults aged 18-49

https://www.foxnews.com/media/nbc-olympics-coverage-spurs-advertiser-anxiety
Maybe the advertisers should withdraw and claim it's to improve their mental health.
Porteroso
Jack Bauer said:

Do you have a problem with it? Reminds me of all those that think they are entitled to watching NCAA athletes play without pay. What these athletes choose is alright with me. I'm disappointed, sure, but go team USA.
Forest Bueller_bf
Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

Imagine Michael Phelps, Kobe Bryant, Tiger, Jordan, etc just QUITTING because things were not going well. NOBODY would give them any praise like Biles is getting.

Katie Ledecky finished 5th in the 200M freestyle which is uncharacteristic for her but she didn't QUIT the other races.
Move on to another GOAT, imagine Michael Jordan not coming out because of anxiety.

Dude would have to be darn near dead to not play.

That said I understand her doing this. She has been cast in an imagine where the full weight of the Olympics, at least gymnastics, were on her. Jordan would embrace it. She has had enough trama in her life that it overtook her. Do not want to see her landing on her head and dying just to prove a point. She was way way off.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Simone Biles is a class act. The other option would be stay in the competition, perhaps perform poorly (by her standards), and deny someone else the opportunity to have their best day. She did not run the country down and did not blame shift. Nothing but respect for Ms. Biles.
Thee University
Porteroso said:

Jack Bauer said:

Do you have a problem with it? Reminds me of all those that think they are entitled to watching NCAA athletes play without pay. What these athletes choose is alright with me. I'm disappointed, sure, but go team USA.
Yeah..........like athletes are always right.

If this is a mental breakdown she should never have gotten on the plane. She knew. She knew. Her handlers knew she was not all in. Just like Dr. Jill Biden knows. She knew and knows it won't end well for Old Joe. It's embarrassing that family will go along with this. At least she will be 1st Lady for a while!
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Jack Bauer
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Jack Bauer said:

Osodecentx said:

Jack Bauer said:

Move on to another GOAT, imagine Michael Jordan not coming out because of anxiety.

Dude would have to be darn near dead to not play.

That said I understand her doing this. She has been cast in an imagine where the full weight of the Olympics, at least gymnastics, were on her. Jordan would embrace it. She has had enough trama in her life that it overtook her. Do not want to see her landing on her head and dying just to prove a point. She was way way off.

She is not 15 years old, she is a grown ass 24 year old woman in her 3rd Olympics!

Overall, Biles is a great person and tremendous athlete. But to call this decision "heroic" boggles my mind!
Porteroso
Thee University said:

Porteroso said:

Jack Bauer said:

If this is a mental breakdown she should never have gotten on the plane. She knew. She knew. Her handlers knew she was not all in. Just like Dr. Jill Biden knows. She knew and knows it won't end well for Old Joe. It's embarrassing that family will go along with this. At least she will be 1st Lady for a while!

Politics aside, how do you know that Biles knew she'd withdraw before she got on the plane? Seems like bs, but what do I know, you're probably her BFF.
Canon
Porteroso said:

Jack Bauer said:

There's (at a base level minimum) a tacit contract with the American people that if you try out for a spot on the Olympic team, you will give your all as a representative of our country....that you won't simply quit. She just up and quit like a little child. Talent is pointless if you refuse to use it when it counts. If you are the pilot of a plane but refuse to fly it, you are as valuable as the luggage in the overhead bin. It turns out, we should have checked that sack of crap at the curb.
Thee University
Porteroso said:

Thee University said:

Porteroso said:

Jack Bauer said:

Politics aside, how do you know that Biles knew she'd withdraw before she got on the plane? Seems like bs, but what do I know, you're probably her BFF.
You misunderstand. As usual.

Competitive athletes, particularly Olympic caliber, know if their "mind is right" or not. There can be no doubt. At that level, on that stage, there should be no doubt or hesitation. With a single point or a fraction of a point separating places you have to be 100% locked, loaded and ready.

I simply suggest there was doubt and it did not hit her yesterday.
Porteroso
Thee University said:

Porteroso said:

Thee University said:

Porteroso said:

Jack Bauer said:

You misunderstand. As usual.

Competitive athletes, particularly Olympic caliber, know if their "mind is right" or not. There can be no doubt. At that level, on that stage, there should be no doubt or hesitation. With a single point or a fraction of a point separating places you have to be 100% locked, loaded and ready.

I simply suggest there was doubt and it did not hit her yesterday.

That is hilariously inaccurate. I usually make assumption jokes, but the assumptions here are absurd. Everyone has doubt about one thing or another, and we often don't know if we will be able to work through it until we are truly strained.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.