If evolution truly created us, why

38,057 Views | 728 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LIB,MR BEARS
BusyTarpDuster2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

"If God has a reason for allowing pain and suffering, yet he has the power to change that reason in order to eliminate pain and suffering, then that reason is no longer good, is it?"

No, if God changes the good reason in order to eliminate pain and suffering, he would be changing what is already good. Does He need to do that?
-- Wouldn't he be changing the 'good' to the better? You can't justify your statement.

"Then, if pain and suffering is better before going to heaven, why have heaven at all? Just leave it as its is."

Because heaven after pain and suffering is better than no heaven after pain and suffering.
-- That's not logical. All powerful god can make heaven better without pain and suffering if he chooses.

"Isn't that what Jehovah's Witnesses believe? Temporary harm wouldn't be necessary for an all loving, all powerful, all knowing god. What you describe is a less than all loving, and all powerful god."

Well, then that would mean both you and Jehovah's Witnesses aren't logically correct.
--If you are right, then why does the NT imply god will heal the sick? Why would Jesus heal the infirm, if they are better off to suffer. Why is it better for some to suffer more than other? Why would you seek out medical care, if you are better off to suffer? Why would you try to improve your life at all, if you are better off in the afterlife for having immensely suffered in this life? Where is there any logic in your argument?

"Isn't it arrogant to presume the trials and tribulations of this life are preparing you for something better, especially when there is no objective evidence for making such claim. If there were a god, he/she may not be all loving."

Of course there is objective evidence, including but not limited to the historical testimonies of those who witnessed the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. The objective evidence of the universe, the earth, life on earth, us humans and the unfathomable machinery that is the human body, and DNA the digital code to build it - all points to design and intelligence, a mind. You observe the same objective evidence, but come to a different conclusion (which involves a lot of denial, and a whole lot more faith, ironically).
-- There are no historical testimonies of those who witnessed the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. There are only stories of stories that were written down in final form centuries later from tales that began with at best third hand written reports. There is no evidence that any of Jesus followers wrote down any chronology or history of Jesus (most probably couldn't read or write). The evidence of reality reveals that the universe, earth, life and DNA etc. are all the products of physical processes that do not require, nor is there evidence of any behind the scenes shenanigans to account for anything. You're denying the evidence of reality to insert a non-evidentiary primitive people's supernatural being where one is not needed to explain anything.

The arrogance in your thinking is that you're putting your perspective on the same level as an all-knowing being, which, even if you don't believe in an all-knowing being, is logically absurd. The religious aren't doing that.
-- Are you really telling me that it is not arrogant to believe in a sugar daddy that is ultimately going to take care of you, in order to make our plight in life more palatable, and for some easier to cope? How is it arrogance to observe the evidence of reality, and accept it for what it is?

"Wouldn't he be changing the 'good' to the better? You can't justify your statement."

Your reasoning is that if the good reason can be changed to something better, then that original reason was not good; but since the reason IS good, by that reasoning there is no "better" that it can be changed to.

"That's not logical. All powerful god can make heaven better without pain and suffering if he chooses."

Not if having pain and suffering provides the BEST heaven.

"If you are right, then why does the NT imply god will heal the sick? Why would Jesus heal the infirm, if they are better off to suffer. Why is it better for some to suffer more than other? Why would you seek out medical care, if you are better off to suffer? Why would you try to improve your life at all, if you are better off in the afterlife for having immensely suffered in this life? Where is there any logic in your argument?"

The argument isn't that God makes every instance of harm into something good for eternal benefit, so that it's better to just let every instance of pain and suffering continue on, lest you cheat others or yourself out of that benefit. Rather, the argument is that God allowing suffering to exist would not be inconsistent with His love, if having suffering allows for a greater eternal benefit. This does not, however, preclude God from allowing or justifying earthly relief from suffering, or the pursuit thereof, within that framework, especially if it serves His purpose. In fact, that may be part of how the eternal benefit of suffering is ultimately realized in heaven. See John chapter 9 for an example.

"There are no historical testimonies of those who witnessed the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. There are only stories of stories that were written down in final form centuries later from tales that began with at best third hand written reports. There is no evidence that any of Jesus followers wrote down any chronology or history of Jesus (most probably couldn't read or write).

The gospels were either written by the disciples by which they were named, or by scribes who recorded directly their preachings, like Mark did for Peter. The apostle Paul, who claimed to have direct interaction with the resurrected Jesus, was a contemporary of the disciples and had direct interaction with them, preaching the same gospel they did, and his writings are dated to within twenty or so years from Jesus' death. Paul refers to Luke's gospel in his letters, so that puts the gospel of Luke at around the same time, or even earlier. Luke is considered by scholars to be a first rate historian, and being a contemporary he had access to the first hand witnesses of Jesus as he produced his gospel. In the prologue to his gospel, Luke writes, "Many have undertaken to compose an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by the initial eyewitnesses and servants of the word. Therefore, having carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught." The science of textual criticism has revealed that the New Testament we have today is near 99.5% textually pure, meaning what we have today is a faithful and accurate reproduction of the original writings.

So, yeah, there is good evidence that the gospels we have today are accurate historical testimonies.

The evidence of reality reveals that the universe, earth, life and DNA etc. are all the products of physical processes that do not require, nor is there evidence of any behind the scenes shenanigans to account for anything. You're denying the evidence of reality to insert a non-evidentiary primitive people's supernatural being where one is not needed to explain anything."

Believing that the universe, earth, us humans and our unfathomably complex body with it's millions, perhaps billions or trillions, of finely tuned processes all working in balance towards a state of homeostasis, and the digital code of DNA that can build it all from a single cell is merely the product of natural, random processes while denying any possibility that it's evidence of intelligent design is demonstrating one-dimensional thinking that higher thinking people have moved away from. It also demonstrates, ironically, a level of faith that might be even greater than that of the religious.

"Are you really telling me that it is not arrogant to believe in a sugar daddy that is ultimately going to take care of you, in order to make our plight in life more palatable, and for some easier to cope? How is it arrogance to observe the evidence of reality, and accept it for what it is?"

What you are describing about believiers is called hope, not arrogance. You observing reality and coming to your conclusions isn't the arrogance I'm referring to, it's your assumption that your understanding is at the level of an all-knowing God.
BusyTarpDuster2017
quash said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

Rationalizing a spiritual benefit for suffering is a waste of time. Humanism gets you to the same place without threatening eternal suffering for failure to worship.

you do you

You know the gospel at least if not better than I do. You chose to walk away.

According to you, Mother Teresa, Adolph Hitler and yourself, when all is said and done, end up in a fertilizer pit. One, no more valuable than the next.

No rationalization needed here.

Our bodies end up the same. How we affected the world is different.

In an atheistic, naturalist universe, how you affect the world was not the result of your free will and choice. You were going to affect the world, how the physical laws governing the atoms and molecules in your brain already determined you were going to affect the world. The idea of attaching any sort of merit to your actions is absurd and meaningless. You, Txscience, and Waco47 still have not shown there to be a possibility of it being otherwise in your naturalist universe.

Free will exists in a materialist universe.

When I deliberate on a decision I am exercising free will. Even if I am deliberating on why I believe in determinism I am refuting that belief by the very act of deliberating.

You are saying that determinism is true and free will is false. The rain is falling outside because of what you would call deterministic causes (I would call them probabilistic) and yet falling rain is neither true nor false, it simply is.

Now let's talk about religious determinism: how does a human agent exercise moral authority for doing what a god has ordained him to do?

And I notice you have never dealt with the questions I raised about a soul, despite my continued engagement on your topic of choice. Show a little respect.

In your naturalist universe, your "deliberations" are nothing other than what the physical laws governing the atoms and molecules in your brain have already determined them to be. You still not have offered a mechanism or explanation by which in your universe, free will or choice can exist. Your probabilistic rain analogy does nothing to escape this.

I don't understand the point of your "religious determinism" question. And what questions about the soul do you feel I'm obligated to answer?
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Quote:

Calm down. I'm a Christian. And Jesus is My Lord.
Now pull apart my Premises and conclusion.

Premise #1 As a Christian I reject and old theism that you support.
My theism process and existentialist theologies.
Premise 2 Because I am Christin I believe in an all powerful of God of love and Scriptures support that position.

Premise 3. All theologies are existential rand regardless of what one may say about beliefs. What really matters is what do with my life right and right in this moment.
Premise 4. The Biblical Christian faith and Jesus continually say that it is what a disciple does that determines whether they a life. That is existential theism.

Conclusion The decisive claim on my life is my decision for Jesus Christ. That claim is love and it is lived existential
Now which premises are wrong?

Your theology has been destroyed repeatedly on this forum. The really sad thing is, you're not able to comprehend any of it. God have mercy on you.

Do yourself a favor. Go to a Christian, and tell them what you believe - that God did NOT create the heavens and the earth (very first sentence of the bible) and that Jesus was NOT bodily resurrected. Ask them if that makes you a Christian or not.

Your 2nd premise states, "I believe in an all powerful of God of love". So you believe He is all-powerful now? This is a radical change from your stated beliefs, if this is what you meant. I suspect it isn't.

** Not sure why my post is printed all in bold, won't let me fix it**
You are making stories about me. Careful reading might show that your classical/orthodox theim no longer speaks to secular humans.
"I believe in an all powerful God love" is a premise I have stated countless times.
I really want you to take on my premises. You simply rant. Read then think critically about each premise. What's wrong about each? What's not supported by scripture or reason? What are your premises? But rants are not helpful to you or me.
"I believe in an all powerful God love" is a premise I have stated countless times."

So you believe God is all-powerful, and thus has the power to move atoms and molecules?
quash

You are not obligated to show me the same respect I showed you. A humanist would understand.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

What I keep seeing here is that you are demanding that God, however we define Him/Her/It, must bide by your rules, your comprehension, your standards.

That is, TS, you want to be God.

Common enough, but I wonder if you see it.
I'm not demanding anything. I just point out what is obvious.
What's obvious is your solipsism.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Waco1947
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TS: That's not logical. All powerful god can make heaven better without pain and suffering if he chooses.

Also TS: -- Are you really telling me that it is not arrogant to believe in a sugar daddy that is ultimately going to take care of you, in order to make our plight in life more palatable, and for some easier to cope? How is it arrogance to observe the evidence of reality, and accept it for what it is?

Well which is it? Should we be pain-free, or is it 'arrogant' to believe in an end to pain?

Also, TS continues to ignore the possibility, I would say likelihood, that suffering serves a purpose.

If there is an all loving, all powerful, god, then why shouldn't there be an end to pain?

How can suffering serve any purpose if there is an all loving, all powerful god? You can't be all loving and idly watch pain and suffering, when you have the power to end it, and even change the 'purpose' for it.
TS has accurately described the old theism about the presence of evil over against an loving , all powerful (over physics, chemistry, biology.
Now you, TS, will hear the old theism that God "allows us free will and allows evil for some mysterious reason.
Waco1947
Waco1947

No I do not believe in an all power God of science. My God cannot move physical stuff around but I believe in God's love, redeeming, creating power in this world - real world.
I connect to this God spiritually.

Again here are my premises. Attack them with reason not emotion. Your logic and reason may prove me wrong......Give it a try

Premise 2 Because I am Christin I believe in an all powerful of God of love and Scriptures support that position.

Premise 3. All theologies are existential rand regardless of what one may say about beliefs. What really matters is what do with my life right and right in this moment.
Premise 4. The Biblical Christian faith and Jesus continually say that it is what a disciple does that determines whether they a life. That is existential theism.

Conclusion The decisive claim on my life is my decision for Jesus Christ. That claim is love and it is lived existentially
Waco1947
Oldbear83
Waco seems to put a lot of limits on his 'god'.

I believe in the God of Scripture, in part because I have seen His work with my own eyes.
Waco1947
Oldbear83 said:

Waco seems to put a lot of limits on his 'god'.

I believe in the God of Scripture, in part because I have seen His work with my own eyes.
Science puts limits on your God'.
Every prayer answered at the throne of grace, a million prayers go unanswered by your God. You chalk up to mystery. Physics, chemistry, and biology cannot be moved around by your God on.
Waco1947
Waco1947
God is pure unbounded love.
Waco1947
Oldbear83
Waco: "Science puts limits on your God"

Nope. Science is limited to describing Man's comprehension of the Universe. God's boundaries go far beyond Science or those who can only think to the limits of the laboratory.

Waco: "Every prayer answered at the throne of grace, a million prayers go unanswered by your God."

Your god may ignore prayers, the God of Scripture answers all, but sadly too many many do not hear God, so they imagine He is not answering.

Waco: "You chalk up to mystery. Physics, chemistry, and biology cannot be moved around by your God on."

My God creates all Life and does as pleases Him. My God saved my daughter when she was an infant because believers prayed to Him, and saved me from dying of Cancer because it pleased Him to do so.

Your lack of faith creates limits for you, Waco, not God.
LIB,MR BEARS
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TS: That's not logical. All powerful god can make heaven better without pain and suffering if he chooses.

Also TS: -- Are you really telling me that it is not arrogant to believe in a sugar daddy that is ultimately going to take care of you, in order to make our plight in life more palatable, and for some easier to cope? How is it arrogance to observe the evidence of reality, and accept it for what it is?

Well which is it? Should we be pain-free, or is it 'arrogant' to believe in an end to pain?

Also, TS continues to ignore the possibility, I would say likelihood, that suffering serves a purpose.

If there is an all loving, all powerful, god, then why shouldn't there be an end to pain?
Because then LIB wouldn't be able to tell his jokes, and shouldn't he have that freedom?
Ahhh! I get it. But would a loving god allow us to suffer his jokes? IDK
OUCH!
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

God is pure unbounded love.

If you really believed that, you would not try to bind God with Science.
LIB,MR BEARS
Waco1947 said:

No I do not believe in an all power God of science. My God cannot move physical stuff around but I believe in God's love, redeeming, creating power in this world - real world.

Again here are my premises. Attack them with reason not emotion. Your logic and reason may prove me wrong......Give it a try

Conclusion The decisive claim on my life is my decision for Jesus Christ. That claim is love and it is lived existentially

paragraph 1= you would like to have a teddy bear.

Does your god of love consider justice?

Is wrath ever used in a description of your god of love?

Did Jesus have a bodily resurrection?
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

I HAVE attacked and destroyed these "premises" of yours in my posts. Maybe you just aren't competent enough to understand. It'll probably be a waste of time, but oh well, I'll review:

Your "premise" #1: "As a Christian...."

As I explained earlier, you are NOT a Christian. You don't believe the central tenet of Christianity that Jesus was bodily resurrected. You don't believe God created the heavens and the earth (the very first sentence of the bible) You ask any competent Christian, and unless they come from the same wacky school of thought that you do, they will tell you that this makes you far, far from a Christian.

Your "premise" #2: "Because I'm Christin[sic] I believe in an all powerful of[sic] God of love"

You are not a Christian, and you DON'T believe God can move matter so no, you DON'T believe He is all-powerful.

Your "premise" #3: "....What really matters is what do[sic] with my life right[?] and right at this moment..."

If you believe that God is powerless to move atoms and molecules, then you need to explain how YOU can do it when you move the atoms and molecules in your brain in correspondence with your free will and choice. If you say you aren't doing this, then you're saying you don't have true free will and choice, thus "what do with my life right and right at this moment" isn't really up to you to decide. So no, it doesn't really matter. Not unless you can account for free will and choice in a universe that is only controlled by physical laws and nothing more.

Your "conclusion" : "The decisive claim on my life is my decision for Jesus Christ..."

As explained in #3, unless you explain how there is free will and choice in a universe governed only by physical laws and nothing more, you made no "decisive claim" or "decision" for Jesus Christ.

Any of this ring a bell?
Seen these comments earlier in this thread?
I already stated all these things, but you just called them a "rant" and called me "emotional" and then ignored all the points.
BusyTarpDuster2017
quash said:

You are not obligated to show me the same respect I showed you. A humanist would understand.

I'm sorry the physical laws of the universe didn't move the atoms and molecules in my brain in the way that you'd prefer.
TexasScientist
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

"If God has a reason for allowing pain and suffering, yet he has the power to change that reason in order to eliminate pain and suffering, then that reason is no longer good, is it?"

No, if God changes the good reason in order to eliminate pain and suffering, he would be changing what is already good. Does He need to do that?
-- Wouldn't he be changing the 'good' to the better? You can't justify your statement.

"Then, if pain and suffering is better before going to heaven, why have heaven at all? Just leave it as its is."

Because heaven after pain and suffering is better than no heaven after pain and suffering.
-- That's not logical. All powerful god can make heaven better without pain and suffering if he chooses.

"Isn't that what Jehovah's Witnesses believe? Temporary harm wouldn't be necessary for an all loving, all powerful, all knowing god. What you describe is a less than all loving, and all powerful god."

Well, then that would mean both you and Jehovah's Witnesses aren't logically correct.
--If you are right, then why does the NT imply god will heal the sick? Why would Jesus heal the infirm, if they are better off to suffer. Why is it better for some to suffer more than other? Why would you seek out medical care, if you are better off to suffer? Why would you try to improve your life at all, if you are better off in the afterlife for having immensely suffered in this life? Where is there any logic in your argument?

"Isn't it arrogant to presume the trials and tribulations of this life are preparing you for something better, especially when there is no objective evidence for making such claim. If there were a god, he/she may not be all loving."

Of course there is objective evidence, including but not limited to the historical testimonies of those who witnessed the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. The objective evidence of the universe, the earth, life on earth, us humans and the unfathomable machinery that is the human body, and DNA the digital code to build it - all points to design and intelligence, a mind. You observe the same objective evidence, but come to a different conclusion (which involves a lot of denial, and a whole lot more faith, ironically).
-- There are no historical testimonies of those who witnessed the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. There are only stories of stories that were written down in final form centuries later from tales that began with at best third hand written reports. There is no evidence that any of Jesus followers wrote down any chronology or history of Jesus (most probably couldn't read or write). The evidence of reality reveals that the universe, earth, life and DNA etc. are all the products of physical processes that do not require, nor is there evidence of any behind the scenes shenanigans to account for anything. You're denying the evidence of reality to insert a non-evidentiary primitive people's supernatural being where one is not needed to explain anything.

The arrogance in your thinking is that you're putting your perspective on the same level as an all-knowing being, which, even if you don't believe in an all-knowing being, is logically absurd. The religious aren't doing that.
-- Are you really telling me that it is not arrogant to believe in a sugar daddy that is ultimately going to take care of you, in order to make our plight in life more palatable, and for some easier to cope? How is it arrogance to observe the evidence of reality, and accept it for what it is?

"Wouldn't he be changing the 'good' to the better? You can't justify your statement."

Your reasoning is that if the good reason can be changed to something better, then that original reason was not good; but since the reason IS good, by that reasoning there is no "better" that it can be changed to.
-- No, if you follow your reasoning there are good reasons for suffering, then I'm saying if the original reason is good, an all powerful, loving god can change it to something better. A good reason can be made better, or the god is not all powerful

"That's not logical. All powerful god can make heaven better without pain and suffering if he chooses."

-- Sure he could. It's within an all powerful, loving god's power to make heaven the BEST without pain and suffering. Otherwise he is either not all powerful, or all loving.

"If you are right, then why does the NT imply god will heal the sick? Why would Jesus heal the infirm, if they are better off to suffer. Why is it better for some to suffer more than other? Why would you seek out medical care, if you are better off to suffer? Why would you try to improve your life at all, if you are better off in the afterlife for having immensely suffered in this life? Where is there any logic in your argument?"

The argument isn't that God makes every instance of harm into something good for eternal benefit, so that it's better to just let every instance of pain and suffering continue on, lest you cheat others or yourself out of that benefit. Rather, the argument is that God allowing suffering to exist would not be inconsistent with His love, if having suffering allows for a greater eternal benefit. This does not, however, preclude God from allowing or justifying earthly relief from suffering, or the pursuit thereof, within that framework, especially if it serves His purpose. In fact, that may be part of how the eternal benefit of suffering is ultimately realized in heaven. See John chapter 9 for an example.
-- You describing a god who is not all loving, if is suits his pleasure or serves his purpose to allow some to suffer and others not. What you describe is incredibly inconsistent with an all loving god. He allows relief at his own sadistic pleasure. John 9 describes a sadistic egotistic god. He could accomplish the same ends without requiring suffering.

"There are no historical testimonies of those who witnessed the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. There are only stories of stories that were written down in final form centuries later from tales that began with at best third hand written reports. There is no evidence that any of Jesus followers wrote down any chronology or history of Jesus (most probably couldn't read or write).

The gospels were either written by the disciples by which they were named, or by scribes who recorded directly their preachings, like Mark did for Peter. The apostle Paul, who claimed to have direct interaction with the resurrected Jesus, was a contemporary of the disciples and had direct interaction with them, preaching the same gospel they did, and his writings are dated to within twenty or so years from Jesus' death. Paul refers to Luke's gospel in his letters, so that puts the gospel of Luke at around the same time, or even earlier. Luke is considered by scholars to be a first rate historian, and being a contemporary he had access to the first hand witnesses of Jesus as he produced his gospel. In the prologue to his gospel, Luke writes, "Many have undertaken to compose an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by the initial eyewitnesses and servants of the word. Therefore, having carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught." The science of textual criticism has revealed that the New Testament we have today is near 99.5% textually pure, meaning what we have today is a faithful and accurate reproduction of the original writings.

So, yeah, there is good evidence that the gospels we have today are accurate historical testimonies.
-- Scholars will tell you that the Gospels were written from 66 CE to 110 CE, with John being the last. The Gospels were in circulation anonymously up until the time of Irenaeus. None of the Gospels had names during the time of Justin, 30years prior to Irenaeus. They were given the names of apostles later, to answer a need for an appeal to authority over claims of Gnostics, Marcionites, and Jewish/Christian Ebionites etc. Prior to that, there were any number of Gospels and none are associated with one apostle or another. There are no surviving early copies, and the earliest consists of only fragments of second century writings. Consideration of the date when they were first written from circulating oral tales, means they at best were written only by disciples, of disciples, of the original disciples. Further, the copies that we do have, which were written by scribes copying copies of innumerable copies, are full of errors, inconsistencies, contradictions, and added texts, and even deleted texts. There were no living eye witnesses by the time most were written, and Mark being the earliest, the same as the other Gospels, was written in Greek. None of the original apostles were literate, and most likely only spoke Aramaic. What the author of Luke writes is for the self serving purpose of lending authority to his writings, which was a common tactic in those days. If you want your theology to have authority, then give it the name of, or attribute its contents to a recognized authority.

The evidence of reality reveals that the universe, earth, life and DNA etc. are all the products of physical processes that do not require, nor is there evidence of any behind the scenes shenanigans to account for anything. You're denying the evidence of reality to insert a non-evidentiary primitive people's supernatural being where one is not needed to explain anything."

Believing that the universe, earth, us humans and our unfathomably complex body with it's millions, perhaps billions or trillions, of finely tuned processes all working in balance towards a state of homeostasis, and the digital code of DNA that can build it all from a single cell is merely the product of natural, random processes while denying any possibility that it's evidence of intelligent design is demonstrating one-dimensional thinking that higher thinking people have moved away from. It also demonstrates, ironically, a level of faith that might be even greater than that of the religious.
-- DNA supports evolution. The evidence of reality tells us that evolution accounts for life that conforms to physical laws that govern the universe. No faith is required, just observation. Faith is required to accept the understandings and beliefs of primitive people in a supernatural being as an explanation of anything.

"Are you really telling me that it is not arrogant to believe in a sugar daddy that is ultimately going to take care of you, in order to make our plight in life more palatable, and for some easier to cope? How is it arrogance to observe the evidence of reality, and accept it for what it is?"

What you are describing about believiers is called hope, not arrogance. You observing reality and coming to your conclusions isn't the arrogance I'm referring to, it's your assumption that your understanding is at the level of an all-knowing God.
-- Why do you need hope, if there is no doubt? My understanding is based upon evidence. An all knowing god would make himself evident without any ambiguity.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

What I keep seeing here is that you are demanding that God, however we define Him/Her/It, must bide by your rules, your comprehension, your standards.

Solipsism? I believe in the reality of the universe, regardless of whether my brain is alive, or capable of observation.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Solipsism? I believe in the reality of the universe, regardless of whether my brain is alive, or capable of observation.
Solipsism accepts the reality of the Universe. It's the focus that defines the word.
quash
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

I'm sorry the physical laws of the universe didn't move the atoms and molecules in my brain in the way that you'd prefer.

You were predestined not to display mutual respect? If you say so.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
BusyTarpDuster2017
"No, if you follow your reasoning there are good reasons for suffering, then I'm saying if the original reason is good, an all powerful, loving god can change it to something better. A good reason can be made better, or the god is not all powerful"

Well, you originally stated that if God can change the good to better, then the original reason was not good. This is logically false. So then what's wrong with "good"? Why is that not loving?

The argument of "better" can go on for infinity. Must God exist in an infinite loop and thus stuck in inaction? Is there not a "best" that God can settle on, where there is no "better"? How do you know that the best isn't being done? "Best" from what perspective? God's, or yours?

If you assume that God could make it "better" - does that necessarily mean He is not all-powerful or loving if he settles at "good"? What point along "better" would satisfy you before you disqualify Him from being all-powerful and loving? And again, "better" according to whom? I don't necessarily believe no pain and suffering would be better. So how do you know that it is?

Sure he could. It's within an all powerful, loving god's power to make heaven the BEST without pain and suffering. Otherwise he is either not all powerful, or all loving.

Why is the best heaven necessarily one without pain and suffering before?

DNA supports evolution. The evidence of reality tells us that evolution accounts for life that conforms to physical laws that govern the universe. No faith is required, just observation. Faith is required to accept the understandings and beliefs of primitive people in a supernatural being as an explanation of anything.

You really don't grasp DNA.
And you haven't disproven intelligent design.
You've decided to believe in something happening against astronomical odds in order to explain something away from what is the obvious revelation that there is design, intent, and purpose in all of creation, because you fear the implications.

Why do you need hope, if there is no doubt? My understanding is based upon evidence. An all knowing god would make himself evident without any ambiguity.

Hope is a part of faith, not doubt - "Now faith is the assurance of what we hope for and the certainty of what we do not see."
Your understanding rejects evidence and reasoning based on your preconceived bias.
An all knowing God has made himself evident by what we see in the universe, the earth, life on earth, and us humans and our sentience. There is no excuse, as the apostle Paul says.
BusyTarpDuster2017
quash said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

No, YOU say so, according to your naturalistic universe.
BusyTarpDuster2017
"Scholars will tell you that the Gospels were written from 66 CE to 110 CE, with John being the last."

Yes, like I said - they were written within one generation of the life of Jesus, therefore conceivably by first hand eyewitnesses, or those who directly recorded their testimony.

The Gospels were in circulation anonymously up until the time of Irenaeus. None of the Gospels had names during the time of Justin, 30years prior to Irenaeus. They were given the names of apostles later, to answer a need for an appeal to authority over claims of Gnostics, Marcionites, and Jewish/Christian Ebionites etc.

No, the authorship of the gospels wasn't even a question by the earliest church fathers and Christians, who all attributed authorship to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Attestation of authorship of the gospels dates very early, and there is an unbroken chain of evidence. There are both internal and external evidences that support the genuiness of the gospels. And don't forget Paul - there is hardly any question over who wrote his letters.

"Prior to that, there were any number of Gospels and none are associated with one apostle or another. There are no surviving early copies, and the earliest consists of only fragments of second century writings. Consideration of the date when they were first written from circulating oral tales, means they at best were written only by disciples, of disciples, of the original disciples. Further, the copies that we do have, which were written by scribes copying copies of innumerable copies, are full of errors, inconsistencies, contradictions, and added texts, and even deleted texts."

The science of textual criticism has shown the New Testament that we have today to be 99.5% accurate. Based on what is learned through textual criticism, the ability to scribe copies of the original gospels and other New Testament writings was done very accurately, thus we have objective evidence to support the genuiness and reliability of the gospels.

"There were no living eye witnesses by the time most were written, "

Already debunked. You're just ignoring evidence I had just presented. Papias said that Mark wrote down directly what He heard Peter preach. Luke in his gospel states, "Many have undertaken to compose an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by the initial eyewitnesses...."

"What the author of Luke writes is for the self serving purpose of lending authority to his writings, which was a common tactic in those days. If you want your theology to have authority, then give it the name of, or attribute its contents to a recognized authority."

Yeah, this is just a chosen narrative and doesn't invalidate Luke's gospel as authoritative and reliable. Luke is regarded by scholars as an excellent historian. He was a contemporary of Paul, who was a contemporary of the original disciples, so he was within earshot of the first eyewitnesses. Being a physician, he was likely very meticulous about being accurate with details.
Waco1947
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

I Corinthians 1 Now I encourage you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ: Agree with each other and don't be divided into rival groups. Instead, be restored with the same mind and the same purpose.
Waco1947
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

quash said:

I Corinthians 1 Now I encourage you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ: Agree with each other and don't be divided into rival groups. Instead, be restored with the same mind and the same purpose.

Great! So why aren't you agreeing with me?
Sam Lowry
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Because then LIB wouldn't be able to tell his jokes, and shouldn't he have that freedom?
exactl... no wait.
LOL!
TexasScientist
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

-- No. I'm just following your reasoning. If you follow your reasoning, something that might be good, can't be changed to something better. Clearly an all powerful deity can change things to however he wants. If he is all loving, he would eliminate pain and suffering, because he can eliminate the 'need' for the pain and suffering that you postulate.

-- Then he wouldn't be all loving, because he would have the power to create a better heaven without pain and suffering.

-- What you just described is a god who is either not all powerful, or is not all loving, because such god would have the power and the love to make things better without suffering. You're describing a god with a whimsical and sadistic personality.

-- No we don't have any such good evidence. The four gospels are full of contradiction with each other. There is no way to know who actually wrote these gospels. The authorship was assigned in the second half of the second century, and the names were assigned based upon assumptions and lore. Anonymity of the authors was respected by Christians for decades. References to the gospels by authors of the early second century never refer to them by name. Justin Martyr quotes versed from the Gospels without reference to names, just as memoirs of the apostles. The first time they show up with names is around 180-5 CE by Irenaeus.

Based upon third hand information Papias claimed the disciple Matthew, a Jew, independently wrote down the sayings of Jesus in Hebrew, which later were translated into Greek. There is nothing to indicate that these are the same writings as today's Gospel of 'Matthew.' What he says about these writings contradicts what we know about today's Matthew. Today's Gospel of Matthew is not just a collection of Jesus' sayings, but of his deeds and experiences, is in Greek not Hebrew. Additionally, today's Matthew was written based upon the Gospel of Mark and other sources. In similar fashion, orthodox circles assigned a name to the Gospel as they did the others to differentiate them from other 'false' Gospels circulated amongst 'heretics'.
Similarly to the other Gospels, Luke's author is not named in the Gospel nor its companion book, Acts of the Apostles. The critical consensus of scholars points to the numerous contradictions between the account in Acts and Paul's authentic letters (excluding those he did not write). Luke's theology is not exactly the same as Paul's, and he doesn't represent Paul's views accurately in Acts. These contradictions and differences indicate that 'Luke' the author of the Gospel, is not one and the same as Luke, Paul's companion.

-- Except that is exactly what biology, the fossil record, physics and chemistry tell us. Without any faith, we can observe what has and is transpiring, without any outside behind the scenes assistance.

-- Why do you need hope, unless you have doubt? My assumptions are based upon the evidence of reality, as opposed to the non-evidence of a supernatural being.
TexasScientist
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

"Scholars will tell you that the Gospels were written from 66 CE to 110 CE, with John being the last."

Yes, like I said - they were written within one generation of the life of Jesus, therefore conceivably by first hand eyewitnesses, or those who directly recorded their testimony.

-- 66 CE to 110 CE is more than a generation. We already know that they weren't written by first hand witnesses of what Jesus said or did. That's not credibly disputed.

The Gospels were in circulation anonymously up until the time of Irenaeus. None of the Gospels had names during the time of Justin, 30years prior to Irenaeus. They were given the names of apostles later, to answer a need for an appeal to authority over claims of Gnostics, Marcionites, and Jewish/Christian Ebionites etc.

No, the authorship of the gospels wasn't even a question by the earliest church fathers and Christians, who all attributed authorship to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Attestation of authorship of the gospels dates very early, and there is an unbroken chain of evidence. There are both internal and external evidences that support the genuiness of the gospels. And don't forget Paul - there is hardly any question over who wrote his letters.

-- Then why were they anonymous until late second century? Who is all. Irenaeus is the first to assign written names. See my post in previous thread.

"Prior to that, there were any number of Gospels and none are associated with one apostle or another. There are no surviving early copies, and the earliest consists of only fragments of second century writings. Consideration of the date when they were first written from circulating oral tales, means they at best were written only by disciples, of disciples, of the original disciples. Further, the copies that we do have, which were written by scribes copying copies of innumerable copies, are full of errors, inconsistencies, contradictions, and added texts, and even deleted texts."

The science of textual criticism has shown the New Testament that we have today to be 99.5% accurate. Based on what is learned through textual criticism, the ability to scribe copies of the original gospels and other New Testament writings was done very accurately, thus we have objective evidence to support the genuiness and reliability of the gospels.

-- What does that even mean 'accurate' ? Accurate to what? We know they are full of discrepancies, and disagreements between gospels, and historical inaccuracies. Scribes added things over the years, and omitted things, intentionally and unintentionally. There are thousands of these discrepancies. Some are insignificant, but others are very significant. One copy to the next, are not the same until the printing press was invented. And then, it depends upon which version is chosen for printing.

"There were no living eye witnesses by the time most were written, "

Already debunked. You're just ignoring evidence I had just presented. Papias said that Mark wrote down directly what He heard Peter preach. Luke in his gospel states, "Many have undertaken to compose an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by the initial eyewitnesses...."

-- Papias got his information fourth hand from followers of elders. Eyewitnesses and earwitnesses are notoriously unreliable. Especially fourth or fifth hand. There are good reasons to believe what Papias says he heard fourth hand is not historically reliable material. He is writing about what an alleged companion of an elder says the elder said, and presumably the elder new the apostle. Oral traditions are not reliable. What Papias says about Matthew is not true of today's Gospel of Matthew. So either he is wrong about Matthew, or he is writing about a different Matthew from today's Matthew. If he is wrong about Matthew, why believe he is right about Mark? Scholars, even evangelical, agree that Papias preserves traditions that are not historically to be trusted. Some are so incredible, fundamental evangelical scholars readily dismiss them - but they will accept the claims they do want to hear. They trust him with claims they want to hear, but not with claims they don't want to hear. If he is wrong about Matthew, is he wrong about Mark? Papias makes an effort to state that Mark meticulously wrote down, even though poorly arranged and ordered, what he heard from Peter. He was intent to leave out nothing he heard, in all of the time spent with Peter, of the sayings and actions of Jesus as relayed by Peter. Mark's gospel is shockingly too short for such an account. You can read it in an hour or so. After all that time spent with Peter, that's all he got out of it? Either he had a different gospel in mind and later on others attributed the second gospel to be the one he is talking about, or he is talking about today's Mark and just can't be trusted to give the correct version of how it came about. And, are there any scholars who believe Mark's writings are a Greek transcript of Peter's Aramaic preaching? It's a Greek compilation recording the oral traditions that had been circulating for decades. Also, Eusebius doesn't say anything about what Papias has to say about Luke and John. Is that because what he had to say about them was so outlandish, or lacking in credibility that Eusebius rejected it.

"What the author of Luke writes is for the self serving purpose of lending authority to his writings, which was a common tactic in those days. If you want your theology to have authority, then give it the name of, or attribute its contents to a recognized authority."

Yeah, this is just a chosen narrative and doesn't invalidate Luke's gospel as authoritative and reliable. Luke is regarded by scholars as an excellent historian. He was a contemporary of Paul, who was a contemporary of the original disciples, so he was within earshot of the first eyewitnesses. Being a physician, he was likely very meticulous about being accurate with details.

-- Besides the Gospel and Acts author not being named until the late second century, there are far too many discrepancies between the accounts in Acts and the letters actually written by Paul (as opposed to those claimed to be written by Paul) for the author to be the same Luke who was Paul's companion. His theology and views differ on key points from Paul's. There is no good reason to believe Paul's companion wrote the Gospel or Acts.

BusyTarpDuster2017
1. "66 CE to 110 CE is more than a generation. We already know that they weren't written by first hand witnesses of what Jesus said or did. That's not credibly disputed."

What a "generation" is, is irrelevant. Smart people understand that the dates still fall within the lifetimes of those who were first-hand witnesses. ALL the early church fathers and christians were UNANIMOUS in attributing the authors of the gospels as Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. There was NO other rival tradition that disputed this.

Whether or not the gospels were written by the first hand witnesses themselves does NOT make them unreliable. A highly reputable person like Luke, who associated with Paul and livedwith his level of education and mastery of the Greek language, and a physician to boot which makes it likely that his attention to detail was excellent, and being a companion of Paul thus living during the time of the first hand eyewitnesses, would unquestionably make a gospel account reliable. You're just up against a huge wall of evidence.

2. "Then why were they anonymous until late second century? Who is all. Irenaeus is the first to assign written names. See my post in previous thread."

Papias, in 125 AD, wrote that Mark wrote down the apostle Peter's preaching. He also wrote that Matthew wrote "The Logia" which was a collection of Jesus' sayings, that some scholars believe either referred to his gospel, or an early version of it. Some scholars believe Matthew wrote his gospel in stages, with that one being the first written in Aramaic, later additions in Hebrew, and the final form translated into Greek by a trained scribe. 125 AD is VERY close to the time the gospels were first written.

3. "What does that even mean 'accurate' ? Accurate to what? We know they are full of discrepancies, and disagreements between gospels, and historical inaccuracies. Scribes added things over the years, and omitted things, intentionally and unintentionally. There are thousands of these discrepancies. Some are insignificant, but others are very significant. One copy to the next, are not the same until the printing press was invented. And then, it depends upon which version is chosen for printing."

The science of textual criticism has shown that of all the known copies of New Testament writings that exist (of which there are hundreds of thousands, making it the most BY FAR of any ancient document) 99.5% of the text is in agreement.

And whatever disagreement there is on the text, virtually NONE affect doctrine in any significant way. Here is a quote from your hero Bart Ehrman:

"Bruce Metzger is one of the great scholars of modern times, and I dedicated the book to him because he was both my inspiration for going into textual criticism and the person who trained me in the field. And even though we may disagree on important religious questionshe is a firmly committed Christian and I am notwe are in complete agreement on a number of very important historical and textual questions. If he and I were put in a room and asked to hammer out a consensus statement on what we think the original text of the New Testament probably looked like, there would be very few points of disagreementmaybe one or two dozen places out of many thousands.
The position I argue for in Misquoting Jesus does not actually stand at odds with Prof. Metzger's position that the essential Christian beliefs are not affected by textual variants in the manuscript tradition of the New Testament."

4. "Besides the Gospel and Acts author not being named until the late second century, there are far too many discrepancies between the accounts in Acts and the letters actually written by Paul (as opposed to those claimed to be written by Paul) for the author to be the same Luke who was Paul's companion. His theology and views differ on key points from Paul's. There is no good reason to believe Paul's companion wrote the Gospel or Acts."

When narrating Paul's journeys, the writer uses the "we", indicating he was a traveling companion of Paul.
So of course there is good reason. I don't know what discrepancies or theological differences you are referring to, but I'm gonna guess that they won't support your conclusion that there is "no good reason".
BusyTarpDuster2017
-- What you just described is a god who is either not all powerful, or is not all loving, because such god would have the power and the love to make things better without suffering. You're describing a god with a whimsical and sadistic personality.

Why is "better" only without suffering?
And why is God not all-powerful or loving if he settles at "good"?

-- Except that is exactly what biology, the fossil record, physics and chemistry tell us. Without any faith, we can observe what has and is transpiring, without any outside behind the scenes assistance.

Biology, the fossil record, physics, and chemistry do NOT tell us that the universe, earth, and life arose independent from an intelligence. That is the conclusion you draw from your observation of evidence. What biology, the fossil record, physics, chemistry, math, and logic DO tell us is that in order for you to come to your conclusion you must believe that something happened against extraordinarily, extraordinarily, astronomical odds.

You also come to your conclusion while completely ignoring subjective aspects to our reality such as our consciousness and self-awareness, which science is completely useless to quantify and explain, yet it is as real and undeniable as scientific truth. Yet you believe science is sufficient to fully explain who and what we are, and how we came to be?

Having a higher level sense and reason, above that of a one-dimensional plane of scientific thinking, and without the horse blinders of preconceived bias, allows one to recognize the patterns of intelligence, design, intent, and purpose that is evident and obvious throughout creation. Those who can't are either incapable of this sense or dishonest with themselves because they can not accept the implications of this truth.
LIB,MR BEARS
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Biology, the fossil record, physics, and chemistry do NOT tell us that it all happened without intelligent design.

. TS believes the life-cycle and the multi-generational migration cycle of the monarch butterfly came about by chance. He doesn't see design at all.
BusyTarpDuster2017
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Biology, the fossil record, physics, and chemistry do NOT tell us that it all happened without intelligent design.

. TS believes the life-cycle and the multi-generational migration cycle of the monarch butterfly came about by chance. He does see design at all.
Those who think like him either don't fully grasp biology or they have such an overly simplified understanding of it. Or, they do fully grasp it, and are so desperate to reject how it points to intelligent design, that they accept an alternate idea that is so improbable that it truly is beyond reason.
quash
LOL. Really. The top scientists in a variety of fields have produced piles of evidence.

But you've got a 2,000 year old science book as support for ID, which is only a critique of evolution, not a replacement.
Oldbear83
"The top scientists in a variety of fields have produced piles of evidence."

So much to unpack there.

1. "Top" as defined by whom?

2. "Variety of fields" implies you are mixing unrelated data to support an emotional preference, not provide empirical proof of a claim

3. Who defined the standards for this 'evidence'?

I certainly do not consider Scripture relevant as a lab textbook, after all, but do expect claims of authority to show something so support their argument beyond 'because I am the important one here'.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Oldbear83 said:

"The top scientists in a variety of fields have produced piles of evidence."

So much to unpack there.

1. "Top" as defined by whom?

2. "Variety of fields" implies you are mixing unrelated data to support an emotional preference, not provide empirical proof of a claim

3. Who defined the standards for this 'evidence'?

I certainly do not consider Scripture relevant as a lab textbook, after all, but do expect claims of authority to show something so support their argument beyond 'because I am the important one here'.
Yep. "Piles of evidence". Even dog doo-doo comes in piles. Gotta make more than an empty, generic appeal to authority if you want to show the evidence is more than a stinker.

He doesn't understand that Intelligent Design is an inference based only on what science, math, and logic tell us. It has nothing to do with New Testament beliefs or any religious idea whatsoever. "Top scientists in a variety of fields" currently and throughout history are and were believers of intelligent design. Science, logic, and reason are moving scientists towards intelligent design, not away. Bill Gates has said, "DNA is like a computer program, but far, far more advanced than any software we've ever created."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.