Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,124,482 Views | 30121 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Assassin
GoldMind
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trey3216 said:

GoldMind said:

S11 said:

GoldMind said:

S11 said:

GoldMind said:

I think you're all smoking dried drain cleaner if you think we can get "80-90%" of Zekes production in a 3rd rounder.

He's only the best RB we've had since Emmitt left.

Which recent super bowl champs have spent that much on a RB?

He's good but teams winning the biggest aren't treating RB like a key position to invest in.

I didnt say hes worth 50mil, I said he was the best.

I like having players I can talk to my kids about, not randoms.

I like playoff wins past the wild card round people under 30 remember, not ones that predated Y2K.

Spending anywhere near what Zeke demands on a contract is poor roster management. Free up resources for building out the roster to win with, possibly get some picks to fill holes, and go win.
If we dont pay him, I guess we can just be sad when he goes to another team and wins a trophy.

I dont think were gonna get any better by letting the best RB and the best QB walk, probably the only one on earth who thinks that.

Zeke isn't the best in the league right now, and I love him. Dak isn't even in the top 10 in the league, and if he is, he's No. 10.
Dak has been nothing short of the most consistently efficient QBs in the league, 3rd behind only Mahomes and Tannehill. 3rd in YPG, 3rd in YPA, 4th in Completions, 30 TDs to 11 Picks, 1.8 interception pct.

4th lowest sack pct, 5th in QBR, was also blitzed 155 times and completed more than hapl of those throws.

Summary, hes definitely top ten if not top 5 by several diff measures. And did it with a checked out coach.

Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
trey3216
GoldMind said:

trey3216 said:

GoldMind said:

S11 said:

GoldMind said:

S11 said:

GoldMind said:

I think you're all smoking dried drain cleaner if you think we can get "80-90%" of Zekes production in a 3rd rounder.

He's good but teams winning the biggest aren't treating RB like a key position to invest in.

I like playoff wins past the wild card round people under 30 remember, not ones that predated Y2K.

Spending anywhere near what Zeke demands on a contract is poor roster management. Free up resources for building out the roster to win with, possibly get some picks to fill holes, and go win.
If we dont pay him, I guess we can just be sad when he goes to another team and wins a trophy.

I dont think were gonna get any better by letting the best RB and the best QB walk, probably the only one on earth who thinks that.

Zeke isn't the best in the league right now, and I love him. Dak isn't even in the top 10 in the league, and if he is, he's No. 10.
Dak has been nothing short of the most consistently efficient QBs in the league, 3rd behind only Mahomes and Tannehill. 3rd in YPG, 3rd in YPA, 4th in Completions, 30 TDs to 11 Picks, 1.8 interception pct.

4th lowest sack pct, 5th in QBR, was also blitzed 155 times and completed more than hapl of those throws.

Summary, hes definitely top ten if not top 5 by several diff measures. And did it with a checked out coach.

I don't hate Dak by any measure, and I would like to keep him, but he loaded a bunch of stats this year in garbage time. A lot of it his own doing.
GoldMind
Im just not convinced this team needs a tear-down to win a ring.

We have good players.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Franko
S11 said:

GoldMind said:

S11 said:

GoldMind said:

S11 said:

GoldMind said:

Top tier QBs deserve elite pay and paying them rarely costs a title shot.

True, but since 1995, no team has won a Super Bowl with a QB making more than 11.7% of the team's salary cap. If the news reports are accurate, Dak wants $35 million a year or more. That would put him at over 17% of the projected 2020 salary cap. I like Dak, but not enough cripple the Cowboys' ability to compete.
S11
Staff
GoldMind said:

Im just not convinced this team needs a tear-down to win a ring.

We have good players.

Never said tear down

Just saying tying up so much money at the RB spot in a league where champions spend on defense and the passing game is foolish
Assassin
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Cowboys are attempting to sign Dak Prescott long-term prior to March 10.
Dallas is essentially trying to strike a long-term deal before the franchise tag window closes on March 10. Rapsheet subtly adds the Cowboys "are going to" tag Prescott if a deal isn't in place, too. It was recently reported the 26-year-old turned down an extension worth $33 million annually last summer, so the organization will likely be hard-pressed to reach an agreement in just a few weeks time given that Prescott's side holds all the cards. Whatever the case, the two are fully expected to find a middle ground this offseason.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Feb 11, 2020, 9:58 AM ET
Assassin
Athletic mock by John Machota

So here we go a way-too-early Cowboys seven-round mock draft.

First round, No. 17 overall: A.J. Epenesa, DE, Iowa.
The Cowboys have several needs on defense, and it's a good bet that this pick will be spent on that side of the ball. Despite two of the draft's top safeties Alabama's Xavier McKinney and LSU's Grant Delpit still available, Dallas goes with the highest-ranked remaining player on its board. Losing Quinn in free agency would make pass rusher arguably the Cowboys' biggest need. Epenesa doesn't have Quinn's speed off the edge; if he did, he'd never fall to No. 17. But he was extremely productive for the Hawkeyes over the last two seasons. His 2018 stats: 10.5 sacks, 16.5 tackles for loss, four forced fumbles and three passes defended. In 2019, Epenesa totaled 11.5 sacks, 14 tackles for loss, four forced fumbles and three passes defended.
At 6-6 and 280 pounds, Epenesa showed an ability to win rushing off the edge or while lining up inside. He would give the Cowboys an immediate impact pass-rusher to line up opposite of DeMarcus Lawrence. The Athletic's Dane Brugler ranked Epenesa as the draft's No. 14 prospect in his latest top-100 board.

Second round, No. 51 overall: Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne.
Safety has been one of the Cowboys' biggest needs for a while. They had an opportunity to upgrade the position in the second round last year but passed in favor of DT Trysten Hill. They pull the trigger in the second round this time, pairing the 6-2, 220-pound Dugger with Xavier Woods.
Dugger, one of the top performers at this year's Senior Bowl, only played in seven games last season because of injury. However, he did enough to win the Cliff Harris Award, given to the nation's small college defensive player of the year, representing Div. II, Div. III and NAIA schools. Dugger finished his college career with 237 tackles, 10 interceptions, 36 pass break-ups, six forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries, two blocked kicks and six punt-return touchdowns.

Third round, No. 82 overall: Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia.
If Byron Jones takes his talents to another team via free agency, cornerback will be one of the Cowboys' biggest offseason needs. Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis are under contract for another year. Anthony Brown is a free agent, but he might be retained on a team-friendly deal. Corner could also be addressed as early as Pick 17. In this scenario, the Cowboys go with the best player available in the first two rounds and address cornerback in the third.
Hall started Virginia's first six games last season before suffering a season-ending ankle injury. The 6-1, 200-pound defensive back recorded five interceptions and 44 pass deflections in 44 career games (39 starts). He led the nation with 22 pass breakups in 2018.

Fourth round, No. 113 overall: Devin Duvernay, WR, Texas.
If this scenario played out, the Cowboys wouldn't be drafting an offensive player in the first three rounds for the first time since 2017. That year, their fourth-round pick ended up being wide receiver Ryan Switzer. Again, Dallas goes with an inside receiver in Duvernay. Cooper is expected to be back. There's a good chance Randall Cobb also returns. That doesn't leave a lot of opportunities for a young receiver to immediately step in and make an impact, but a player like Duvernay could find some touches in 2020 and then see his role increase in 2021.
The 5-11, 210-pound receiver put up big numbers during his senior season, finishing with 106 receptions for 1,386 yards and 10 touchdowns. Duvernay wound up 98th on Brugler's rankings and could be gone by this pick, but the position is so deep in this class that quality receivers are likely to still be around at this point.

Fifth round, No. 147 overall: Benito Jones, DT, Mississippi.
The Cowboys need to get bigger up the middle and a 6-1, 330-pound tackle like Jones could be the answer. He led Ole Miss in tackles for loss last season with 10 while also totaling 5.5 sacks, 30 total tackles and an interception in 11 games.
The Cowboys are expected to bring Antwaun Woods and Trysten Hill back. Tyrone Crawford also has the ability to play inside. But with Maliek Collins hitting free agency, defensive tackle will need to be addressed this offseason and maybe earlier than Pick 147.

Fifth round, (Compensatory pick for Cole Beasley): Devin Asiasi, TE, UCLA.
It's tough to project where the tight ends will come off the board, but this seems like a good place for the Cowboys to address the position. Blake Jarwin is obviously part of the team's future. He has proved to be a reliable pass-catcher. But with Jason Witten's future uncertain, that leaves Dalton Schultz as the only other tight end.
Asiasi (6-3, 260) had a breakout junior season, catching 44 passes for 641 yards and four touchdowns. If he's already off the board, this also could be a good spot to address linebacker, an offensive tackle project or add another defensive back.

Seventh round, No. 209 overall: Shaquille Quarterman, LB, Miami.
Linebacker should be addressed at some point, whether it's for depth with Leighton Vander Esch coming back from his neck issue or Sean Lee possibly playing somewhere else. It's also a great position to improve special teams. The Cowboys were able to find solid linebacker options like Anthony Hitchens (2014) and Damien Wilson (2015) in the fourth round. Both ended up starting this year for the Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs. Maybe Dallas tries to find another similar type of linebacker earlier than the seventh.
Quarterman (6-1, 240) led Miami with 107 tackles and 15.5 tackles for loss last season. The four-year starter finished with 356 tackles, 46.5 tackles for loss, 12 sacks, 13 pass deflections and two forced fumbles in 52 career games.
BearForce
Assassin said:

First round, No. 17 overall: A.J. Epenesa, DE, Iowa.
The Cowboys have several needs on defense, and it's a good bet that this pick will be spent on that side of the ball. Despite two of the draft's top safeties Alabama's Xavier McKinney and LSU's Grant Delpit still available, Dallas goes with the highest-ranked remaining player on its board. Losing Quinn in free agency would make pass rusher arguably the Cowboys' biggest need. Epenesa doesn't have Quinn's speed off the edge; if he did, he'd never fall to No. 17. But he was extremely productive for the Hawkeyes over the last two seasons. His 2018 stats: 10.5 sacks, 16.5 tackles for loss, four forced fumbles and three passes defended. In 2019, Epenesa totaled 11.5 sacks, 14 tackles for loss, four forced fumbles and three passes defended.
At 6-6 and 280 pounds, Epenesa showed an ability to win rushing off the edge or while lining up inside. He would give the Cowboys an immediate impact pass-rusher to line up opposite of DeMarcus Lawrence. The Athletic's Dane Brugler ranked Epenesa as the draft's No. 14 prospect in his latest top-100 board.

Second round, No. 51 overall: Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne.
Safety has been one of the Cowboys' biggest needs for a while. They had an opportunity to upgrade the position in the second round last year but passed in favor of DT Trysten Hill. They pull the trigger in the second round this time, pairing the 6-2, 220-pound Dugger with Xavier Woods.
Dugger, one of the top performers at this year's Senior Bowl, only played in seven games last season because of injury. However, he did enough to win the Cliff Harris Award, given to the nation's small college defensive player of the year, representing Div. II, Div. III and NAIA schools. Dugger finished his college career with 237 tackles, 10 interceptions, 36 pass break-ups, six forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries, two blocked kicks and six punt-return touchdowns.

Third round, No. 82 overall: Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia.
If Byron Jones takes his talents to another team via free agency, cornerback will be one of the Cowboys' biggest offseason needs. Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis are under contract for another year. Anthony Brown is a free agent, but he might be retained on a team-friendly deal. Corner could also be addressed as early as Pick 17. In this scenario, the Cowboys go with the best player available in the first two rounds and address cornerback in the third.
Hall started Virginia's first six games last season before suffering a season-ending ankle injury. The 6-1, 200-pound defensive back recorded five interceptions and 44 pass deflections in 44 career games (39 starts). He led the nation with 22 pass breakups in 2018.

Fourth round, No. 113 overall: Devin Duvernay, WR, Texas.
If this scenario played out, the Cowboys wouldn't be drafting an offensive player in the first three rounds for the first time since 2017. That year, their fourth-round pick ended up being wide receiver Ryan Switzer. Again, Dallas goes with an inside receiver in Duvernay. Cooper is expected to be back. There's a good chance Randall Cobb also returns. That doesn't leave a lot of opportunities for a young receiver to immediately step in and make an impact, but a player like Duvernay could find some touches in 2020 and then see his role increase in 2021.
The 5-11, 210-pound receiver put up big numbers during his senior season, finishing with 106 receptions for 1,386 yards and 10 touchdowns. Duvernay wound up 98th on Brugler's rankings and could be gone by this pick, but the position is so deep in this class that quality receivers are likely to still be around at this point.

Fifth round, No. 147 overall: Benito Jones, DT, Mississippi.
The Cowboys need to get bigger up the middle and a 6-1, 330-pound tackle like Jones could be the answer. He led Ole Miss in tackles for loss last season with 10 while also totaling 5.5 sacks, 30 total tackles and an interception in 11 games.
The Cowboys are expected to bring Antwaun Woods and Trysten Hill back. Tyrone Crawford also has the ability to play inside. But with Maliek Collins hitting free agency, defensive tackle will need to be addressed this offseason and maybe earlier than Pick 147.

Fifth round, (Compensatory pick for Cole Beasley): Devin Asiasi, TE, UCLA.
It's tough to project where the tight ends will come off the board, but this seems like a good place for the Cowboys to address the position. Blake Jarwin is obviously part of the team's future. He has proved to be a reliable pass-catcher. But with Jason Witten's future uncertain, that leaves Dalton Schultz as the only other tight end.
Asiasi (6-3, 260) had a breakout junior season, catching 44 passes for 641 yards and four touchdowns. If he's already off the board, this also could be a good spot to address linebacker, an offensive tackle project or add another defensive back.

Seventh round, No. 209 overall: Shaquille Quarterman, LB, Miami.
Linebacker should be addressed at some point, whether it's for depth with Leighton Vander Esch coming back from his neck issue or Sean Lee possibly playing somewhere else. It's also a great position to improve special teams. The Cowboys were able to find solid linebacker options like Anthony Hitchens (2014) and Damien Wilson (2015) in the fourth round. Both ended up starting this year for the Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs. Maybe Dallas tries to find another similar type of linebacker earlier than the seventh.
Quarterman (6-1, 240) led Miami with 107 tackles and 15.5 tackles for loss last season. The four-year starter finished with 356 tackles, 46.5 tackles for loss, 12 sacks, 13 pass deflections and two forced fumbles in 52 career games.

That is a nice draft except maybe the TE pick...I would double down at CB personally.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

That is a nice draft except maybe the TE pick...I would double down at CB personally.
I love this draft although not taking Delpit in 1 wouldnt work if I were picking. And you know how lhg I have been preaching fireplug. Getting Benito in Rd 5 would be a nice rotational DT pick
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

I love this draft although not taking Delpit in 1 wouldnt work if I were picking. And you know how lhg I have been preaching fireplug. Getting Benito in Rd 5 would be a nice rotational DT pick

The nice thing is there are a glut of NT/1 Techs hitting free agency this off season, you can even afford to not draft that guy and get a proven vet on the cheap.

As for Delpin, he is good but so good that he is a must have. There are guys like Winfield from Minnesota who would be nice as well. Lets be honest though, we screwed the pooch drafting Hill over Thornhill or any of the other safeties that were there in the 2nd round last year.

By the way love the CB out of UVa too so that is a nice pick.
Assassin
Do we really need Dez if we re-sign Amari? Starting you have Gallup (66), Cooper (79) and hopefully Cobb (55) with Devin Smith (5) and Cedrick Wilson backing up, I dont see Tavon Austin (13) coming back. In the background you have Ventell Bryant, Lance Lenoir, Tevin Jones, Noah Brown and JonVea Johnson

Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

The nice thing is there are a glut of NT/1 Techs hitting free agency this off season, you can even afford to not draft that guy and get a proven vet on the cheap.

As for Delpin, he is good but so good that he is a must have. There are guys like Winfield from Minnesota who would be nice as well. Lets be honest though, we screwed the pooch drafting Hill over Thornhill or any of the other safeties that were there in the 2nd round last year.

By the way love the CB out of UVa too so that is a nice pick.
if X was available, would you rather have him?

We could do a deal with the Texans to grab last years pick Xavier Crawford. Thus you could have the Triple X

Assassin
BTW - Duverney is really moving up my figurative draft board. Maybe even ahead of Mims. I think Mims fits Daks skillset better, but I love Duv's quickness and speed
BearForce
Assassin said:

BTW - Duverney is really moving up my figurative draft board. Maybe even ahead of Mims. I think Mims fits Daks skillset better, but I love Duv's quickness and speed

I think they play different positions...Duvernay is a slot to me and Mims is either an X or Y, likely a Y for us as Gallup eventually supplants Cooper.
Assassin
Damn. This kid has so much talent but I never felt like I could depend on him at Baylor when it came to holding on to the ball, knowing where the 1st down marker is, etc

Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

I think they play different positions...Duvernay is a slot to me and Mims is either an X or Y, likely a Y for us as Gallup eventually supplants Cooper.
Mims is the guy I want to throw to when you know the ball is gonna be in a tight, contested area. he can create space and great hand fighter, plus he has those vise grip hands
Assassin
Former Dallas Cowboys running back Lance Dunbar now plays for the Dallas Renegades of the XFL.
GoldMind
Quarterman is good LB. Would take.
BearForce
Assassin said:

Former Dallas Cowboys running back Lance Dunbar now plays for the Dallas Renegades of the XFL.

Yep...he played Sunday
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Yep...he played Sunday
I gotta catch a game. Havent seen it yet
GoldMind
BearForce
17: R1P17
DL DERRICK BROWN
AUBURN

51: R2P19
S ANTOINE WINFIELD, JR.
MINNESOTA

82: R3P18
EDGE CURTIS WEAVER
BOISE STATE

120: R4P17
WR QUINTEZ CEPHUS
WISCONSIN

164: R5P18
CB HARRISON HAND
TEMPLE

179: R5P33
LB SHAQUILLE QUARTERMAN
MIAMI

231: R7P17
CB LAVERT HILL
MICHIGAN
Assassin
Derrick Brown is starting to appear more in my searches. Thought he was a Top 5 guy
Assassin
ESPN Cowboy Story
Projected 2020 cap space: $74.0 million
1. Lock up Dak Prescott. Quincy Carter, Anthony Wright, Ryan Leaf, Clint Stoerner, Chad Hutchinson, Quincy Carter, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Henson and Drew Bledsoe. Those are the quarterbacks the Cowboys started between the end of Troy Aikman's run and the beginning of Tony Romo's, and they stumbled onto Romo as an undrafted free agent. When Dallas was ready to replace Romo, owner Jerry Jones had to be talked out of drafting Johnny Manziel and only ended up with Prescott after the Broncos and Raiders beat him to Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook, respectively.
The overwhelming evidence suggests the Cowboys have had virtually no idea of what makes a good quarterback in the draft for two decades now. (If they were really confident Romo was going to turn into a starter, they would have used an actual draft pick on the Eastern Illinois product.) While there are other quarterbacks available in free agency, none of them are in Prescott's league. The 2016 fourth-round pick finished fourth in the NFL in Total QBR.
It would cost the Cowboys $59.2 million to franchise Prescott twice and $105.6 million to get him a third time, which is right in line with the league's highest-paid quarterbacks. They might not want to pay that much, but after years of signing their homegrown talent to massive extensions, they can't suddenly expect Prescott to take a discount. No, Prescott isn't Patrick Mahomes. If the Cowboys decide to play hardball or actually move on from Prescott thinking they can just find another quarterback, their chances of finding another Hutchinson or Cook are far greater.
2. Transition tag Amari Cooper on the way to an extension. Given how aggressively the Cowboys restructure deals, they can create plenty of cap room to retain Prescott and at least one of their other star free agents without much effort. Cooper should be the first one to target. Since the start of 2018, Prescott averages 8.2 yards per attempt and a passer rating of 102.3 with Cooper on the field. Those marks fall to 7.0 yards per attempt and 89.5, respectively, without the former Raiders first-rounder.
play
1:11

How Dak and the Cowboys can strike a new deal
Keyshawn Johnson explains how Dak Prescott and the Cowboys could meet in the middle to get a new deal done.
Injuries appear to be part of the reality with Cooper. Even though he has only missed three games in his five-year career, the former Alabama star has spent months of his career battling injuries like plantar fasciitis and ankle sprains. There's no doubting his toughness, but the healthy Cooper we saw swing the division for the Cowboys in 2018 was likely the exception as opposed to the rule.
Even with that reality, the Cowboys can't justify moving on from Cooper after trading away a first-round pick to grab him from the Raiders in 2018. If they can get a deal done with Prescott, they should franchise Cooper; if not, they should start with the transition tag and work quickly toward an extension. There are going to be teams that take a shot at signing Cooper without any compensation attached.
3. Rebuild the defensive line around DeMarcus Lawrence. Beyond re-signing their stars on offense, the Cowboys have major work to do up front on defense. Robert Quinn, Michael Bennett, Maliek Collins, Christian Covington and Kerry Hyder are all free agents, and it's probably time to move on from Tyrone Crawford, who hasn't lived up to a $45 million extension. Those guys combined for more than 3,500 defensive snaps last season, and the only linemen left who played more than 500 snaps for the Cowboys in 2019 is Lawrence. Randy Gregory is suspended indefinitely, while Antwaun Woods is likely to return as an exclusive-rights free agent.
Dallas has also turned over its defensive coaching staff, replacing Rod Marinelli and Kris Richard with former 49ers coach Mike Nolan. The defense is likely to stick with four down linemen as its base defense package, which means it needs to do some work. Woods might figure in as a run-plugging defensive tackle, but the Cowboys likely need to give him help and find a penetrator to play alongside hum. They would surely love to bring back Quinn, but if we assume that he gets a bigger deal elsewhere, Nolan will need a starter across from Lawrence and a replacement for Bennett behind them. If the Cowboys can convince Crawford to come back on a reduced salary, he would figure in as part of the tackle rotation, but there are four or five players the team realistically needs to add this offseason.
Nolan just came over from the Saints, where he was linebackers coach; there's not a flood of defensive linemen leaving New Orleans, but I wonder if the Cowboys might look at David Onyemata, who was a solid starter for the Saints and is likely to leave in free agency. Former Packers standout Mike Daniels might also look to reunite with new Dallas coach Mike McCarthy after a frustrating season in Detroit. In the much bigger picture, you can't count out the Cowboys in the Jadeveon Clowney pursuit, even if it means paying two defensive ends like franchise players.
4. Sign a star defensive back. The Cowboys don't appear to have much interest in retaining cornerback Byron Jones, who is likely to get something close to top-of-the-market money in free agency. Safeties Darian Thompson and Jeff Heath are both free agents, and while the latter has seemingly been with the Cowboys since the Jimmy Johnson days, safety is due for a refresh.
NFL's Greatest Games
Relive some of the league's most memorable games, from Super Bowl XLII to the 2018 AFC title game. Watch on ESPN+
The team seemed to signal that it wanted to make a significant investment at safety near the trade deadline when it was reportedly attempting to add Jamal Adams from the Jets, which would have likely cost a first-round pick. While I don't think the Adams negotiations are likely to open up again, I wonder if they're more likely to target safeties than cornerbacks this offseason.
Just based on their new coaching staff, the Cowboys could target Vonn Bell of the Saints and former Packers standout Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. Picking No. 17 over in April's draft, though, they could also target LSU's Grant Delpit, who is one of the top safeties in this class. In his most recent mock draft, Todd McShay has them preferring Alabama safety Xavier McKinney. Either way, it wouldn't be shocking see the Cowboys looking toward safety in Round 1.
5. Find a solution at tight end. Jason Witten returned to the Cowboys after a year here at ESPN and basically re-created the season he had before retiring; he caught 63 passes on 87 targets for 560 yards and five touchdowns in 2017, then returned with 63 catches on 83 targets for 529 yards and four touchdowns last season. He is going to be a reliable set of hands who catches the ball 8 yards downfield and falls down (he ranks 135th out of 140 receivers in average yards after catch) for as long as he wants.

It's unclear whether he will play in 2020 or if he'll do so for the Cowboys, with rumors linking Witten to a season in New York with new Giants offensive coordinator (and former Dallas coach) Jason Garrett. The Cowboys will likely bring Witten, 37, back for another season if he wants to return, but they will need a short-term starter if he doesn't. This is also a position the team should look to address with a younger player for the long term, although given the work they have to do on defense, they might have to put it off until 2021.

BearForce
Call me crazy but from what I have seen so far I think we might want to look into Cardell Jones as a backup QB. He has looked really good for this DC XFL team.
Assassin

BearForce
BearForce said:

Call me crazy but from what I have seen so far I think we might want to look into Cardell Jones as a backup QB. He has looked really good for this DC XFL team.
So to expand on this thought a little more, if you accept the premise that the XFL is about NFL preseason game 3 and 4 level quality, I am not sure I have seen better numbers from Cooper Rush:

Through two games so far:

39/63 for 511 yards, 61.9% completion percentage with 4 TDs/1 INT
Yards per attempt is 8.1 and yards per completion is 13.1, which fits with what I see, which is a QB who is pushing the ball down the field. Oh by the way that arm looks pretty loaded with velocity with little effort by Jones.

You might even say that he is a bigger Dak:

2016 Combine Stats
Jones Prescott
Height 6 ft 5 in 6 ft 2 14 in
Weight 253 lb 226 lb
Arm length 33 34 in 32 14 in
Hand size 9 34 in 10 78 in
40-yard dash 4.81 s 4.79 s
Vert jump 36 in 32.5 in
Wonderlic 25 25

Funny, I totally forgot that not only were Jones and Prescott in the same draft, they were both drafted in the 4th round with Dak going for spots ahead of Cardale.

We'll see how he progresses during the season but right now I would love to bring him in to compete with Cooper Rush for the backup slot.
Assassin
BearForce said:

BearForce said:

So to expand on this thought a little more, if you accept the premise that the XFL is about NFL preseason game 3 and 4 level quality, I am not sure I have seen better numbers from Cooper Rush:

We'll see how he progresses during the season but right now I would love to bring him in to compete with Cooper Rush for the backup slot.

Call Jerry on your guys private line
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

BearForce said:

Call Jerry on your guys private line

I was kinda hoping you might seeing as you two are neighbors.
Machiavelli
I think XFL is preseason game 1 level quality.
BearForce
Machiavelli said:

I think XFL is preseason game 1 level quality.

Disagree...too many XFL players that have made it on to at least a practice squad to be preseason game 1 level....that is why I think game 3 or 4, more 4 than 3.
GoldMind
Context rules everything I believe, and in the context of pro sports, I believe this is a higher quality product than its previous incarnation.
Assassin
GoldMind said:

Context rules everything I believe, and in the context of pro sports, I believe this is a higher quality product than its previous incarnation.
WWW?

Assassin

Wichitabear
Man usher ugly!
First Page Last Page
Page 397 of 861

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.