Football
Sponsored by

Spavital

23,729 Views | 315 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by boognish_bear
Big_Pumpin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In first
PawpaBear
Not impressed
Wacoraisedbear
Not bad I think
Daveisabovereproach
Meh. Better than Matt Wells or trying to promote Bell. from what I know of him, he's like the store brand version of Coach Bro. Runs a variation of the air raid. Unless we can somehow snag a legit quarterback, I don't see how this will change the bottom line.

I'm not sure how a guy like this is going to gel with a defense- minded head coach.
Married A Horn
Guys, anything is better than run run pass punt.

Let's give him a chance.
Bear8084
Better than what was doomed on here. Now will it gel and work? I dunno, hoping for the best.
gobears20
Staff
https://sicem365.com/s/16421/breaking-baylor-to-hire-cals-jake-spavital-as-its-next-offensive-coordinator
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
Buttpanda
A&M fans hated him. Texas State fans hated him. Cal sucks. Not sure how this is a good thing, but I'm open to putting my green and gold goggles on and being convinced.

But as of now I'm disappointed.
BearlyBeloved
Head coach at Texas State, 2019-2022.

19-35 record

If he's now leaving Berkeley, does this mean that Cal won't score again????
DanaDane
Do Texas high school football coaches, recruits and players like him? That's who I want to like him.
Big_Pumpin
Ok boys let's try and be positive. Gonna be a long 8 months.

1st positive. Cal increased their yds/game by 30 yards and scoring by 8 points in his 1st year this season.

What are some others? Any QBs he could bring from cCal?
muddybrazos
He can coach up Sawyer bc he is a decent qb coach, I guess. Oh well, if it works then cool and if it doesnt then we get a new coach.
ImwithBU
Hard to tell. Runs a spread but unsuccessful as the head coach. Maybe Aranda can truly focus on defense and Spavital can focus on offense with particular interest on the QBs
Art_E_Guinn
Big hire. Spav is only 38 so he still has a lot to prove. Offense at Cal shot up in his first season back and they didn't have a lot to work with either.

Hopefully he brings RGC Mike Bloesch along. Bloesch was a disciple of Monty at Tulsa.

If you think this is a bad hire, you're either ignorant or you're one of our deluded Briles Beta Boomers who want nothing more in (what's left of their) life than to get down on two knees and smell Art Briles' farts for a day.
PartyBear
I think this is fine actually. I think this would be a decent hire by a brand new HC here hypothetically.
MarcelloSwisher
Still disappointed but about all we could expect with the state of the program. No good OC is going to step into a lame duck coaching situation like we have here. He's probably figuring that he's got a good shot to be interim head coach down the line. I wonder if that played a part in his decision to come here.
DanaDane
I don't remember his offenses running every play to the short side of the field, so he's already 1 leg up on what I've watched for the past couple of years.
atxBear2008
Cal is going to a bowl game. That's a pretty nice feat for that program.
Art_E_Guinn
Also, Bloesch played for Briles (and Aranda) while at Houston. Good chance he comes with. Great O-line coach.

Daveisabovereproach
DanaDane said:

Do Texas high school football coaches, recruits and players like him? That's who I want to like him.

First question they'll be asking him is "how long are you actually going to be there?" I know it's a big assumption, but I assume that Aranda is getting canned next year if we don't go bowling, and that schedule is not ideal
dycbaylor02
What qb is he bringing?
BearlyBeloved
Cal averaged 31 ppg this year.

Went 6-6.

Close losses to Auburn and USC.

MarcelloSwisher
Dudes been within 100 feet of Art Briles in the last 50 years? He ain't coming here. BOR would sadly never allow it.
PartyBear
Amazing how fast the wikipedia pages change.

It looks like he was on his second tour of duty as OC at Cal. He was also OC there for Dykes final year.
Daveisabovereproach
dycbaylor02 said:

What qb is he bringing?

We're rolling with Sawyer Robertson, and we will likely bring in some sort of warm body to compete against him.
Wacoraisedbear
Art_E_Guinn said:

Big hire. Spav is only 38 so he still has a lot to prove. Offense at Cal shot up in his first season back and they didn't have a lot to work with either.

Hopefully he brings RGC Mike Bloesch along. Bloesch was a disciple of Monty at Tulsa.

If you think this is a bad hire, you're either ignorant or you're one of our deluded Briles Beta Boomers who want nothing more in (what's left of their) life than to get down on two knees and smell Art Briles' farts for a day.

Agreed I'm not taking what he did at Texas state into consideration because they are just horrible. I do remember struggling with his Texas state team in 2021 offense looked pretty good just couldn't finish drives against a stout D but they did move the ball.
DanaDane
Was he the OC at WVU when they beat us 70-63, or was he there shortly thereafter?
PartyBear
DanaDane said:

Was he the OC at WVU when they beat us 70-63, or was he there shortly thereafter?
He was QB coach then. He was later OC at WVU though.

Incidentally while we were all talking about what was going to happen here next late Sat night, I did notice that Cal was really running it up on UCLA. Of course having no clue there would be any tie into us seeing that.
DanaDane
Thanks. I knew he was there at one time, but just couldn't place it.
Wacoraisedbear
No Quarterback said:

DanaDane said:

First question they'll be asking him is "how long are you actually going to be there?" I know it's a big assumption, but I assume that Aranda is getting canned next year if we don't go bowling, and that schedule is not ideal

I don't think he really got a chance to recruit at Texas state so that is yet to be seen I remember reading an article a couple years ago about him at Texas state that his whole 2021 class was transfers he did not sign a single player out of highschool that year.
DanaDane
Seems like Hal, Monaray, Armani, Josh and Jordan will be more likely to stick around.
Art_E_Guinn
MarcelloSwisher said:

Dudes been within 100 feet of Art Briles in the last 50 years? He ain't coming here. BOR would sadly never allow it.
No clue what your first sentence means. My point is that he's not coming back. Some of you guys need to move on. It's sad.
Doc Holliday
Alright guys, time to get familiar with the bubble screen:

ImwithBU
No Quarterback said:

dycbaylor02 said:

What qb is he bringing?

We're rolling with Sawyer Robertson, and we will likely bring in some sort of warm body to compete against him.

I like Sawywr, just wish he would have gotten more in games reps this season. Good thing about high tempo offense is a lot of practice reps. I think underestimated how key this was during the Briles years. All do the backups seemed prepared because they got a lot of snaps during practice
Daveisabovereproach
DanaDane said:

Seems like Hal, Monaray, Armani, Josh and Jordan will be more likely to stick around.

I'm sure he'll spread the rock better than Grimes. I expect a lot of short and safe passes in his game plan considering the state the offensive line is in.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.