Football
Sponsored by

"Baylor coach Matt Rhule channels his inner Butch Jones in bizarre press conference"

17,489 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mothra
MilliVanilli
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

Fwiw...full context of the quote...

"Anytime, you know, if the program's about the players and not about you, you're always sad when they lose. I know how much this meant to them, and I know how hard they've worked and how hard they've tried. Just to not be able to have them -- I really wanted them to walk off the field and I wanted the fans to have us walk off the field victorious. But I told the seniors, we didn't win the game, but that doesn't mean we're not winners. Those young men are winners. They try to do things right. We'll hopefully continue to press forward with them for one more week."
Context doesn't matter here. You know that.
If Rhule pans out once given a fair shot it will be fun to see what all the chicken littles and cabers do to walk back their idiotic rants.

That's a BIG IF the way things have gone. Some expected us to be bowl ineligible this season. No one expected 1 win. Worse part is we get to cap the season off with TCU kicking out asses again. Rhule doesn't like for teams to run up the score, he is going to real butthurt come Friday
Your inflated expectations are a product of your own ignorance about the dire straits of the roster.

bear2be2
MilliVanilli said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

"Anytime, you know, if the program's about the players and not about you, you're always sad when they lose. I know how much this meant to them, and I know how hard they've worked and how hard they've tried. Just to not be able to have them -- I really wanted them to walk off the field and I wanted the fans to have us walk off the field victorious. But I told the seniors, we didn't win the game, but that doesn't mean we're not winners. Those young men are winners. They try to do things right. We'll hopefully continue to press forward with them for one more week."
If Rhule pans out once given a fair shot it will be fun to see what all the chicken littles and cabers do to walk back their idiotic rants.

It will indeed. We'll see a whole lot of spin and whining about necroposting, I'm sure. And then we'll have folks like Wac, who will pretend they were fans all along, as he did with Briles ... despite ripping that hire and calling for his head in Year 2.
ImwithBU
MilliVanilli said:

ImwithBU said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Statements like that add even more credence to my belief that he may unfortunately be more of a motivational speaker than a X's and O's football coach.

It's not like he's won before or anything...
You are so right. He's off to a fast start as HC in a P5 conference. After all, we did beat Kansas.

He did have back to back 10 win seasons before stepping into our now major rebuild.

This team won 7 games last year with an intern coach. He could of won 6. Liberty sucks UTSA beatable, Duke sucks, Kansas sucks, Tech sucks, that gives you 5 wins and 7 games to get an upset. Any coach that is considered big time can manage an upset
Just stop with this obtuse narrative. Baylor got blown out in four of their last six games, they completely fell apart after October 15, 2016 and didn't beat a P5 team for more than a calendar year afterwards.

Did they or did they not win 7 games last year. Does those 7 games include the likes of liberty, UTSA, Duke and Kansas and even an upset (considering we loss 6 games straight). Like I said I expected more out of him, atleast 6 wins. I was wrong. Im not going to change my standard because Rhule failed to meet them. His worse in the press conference Saturday is he expects us to be a "really good team next year" I'm going to hold him to that standard. Anything less just proves others were right when they said he sucks
MilliVanilli
ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

ImwithBU said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Statements like that add even more credence to my belief that he may unfortunately be more of a motivational speaker than a X's and O's football coach.

You are so right. He's off to a fast start as HC in a P5 conference. After all, we did beat Kansas.

He did have back to back 10 win seasons before stepping into our now major rebuild.

This team won 7 games last year with an intern coach. He could of won 6. Liberty sucks UTSA beatable, Duke sucks, Kansas sucks, Tech sucks, that gives you 5 wins and 7 games to get an upset. Any coach that is considered big time can manage an upset
Just stop with this obtuse narrative. Baylor got blown out in four of their last six games, they completely fell apart after October 15, 2016 and didn't beat a P5 team for more than a calendar year afterwards.

Did they or did they not win 7 games last year. Does those 7 games include the likes of liberty, UTSA, Duke and Kansas and even an upset (considering we loss 6 games straight). Like I said I expected more out of him, atleast 6 wins. I was wrong. Im not going to change my standard because Rhule failed to meet them. His worse in the press conference Saturday is he expects us to be a "really good team next year" I'm going to hold him to that standard. Anything less just proves others were right when they said he sucks
I realize nuance is too taxing for your kind, but it's why you deserve to be so frustrated with your alternate reality.
RioRata
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

What is something right out of the BoR playbook for $200 Alex?

{bad dudes}

The Daily Double, Rio.
MilliVanilli
RioRata said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

What is something right out of the BoR playbook for $200 Alex?

{bad dudes}

The Daily Double, Rio.
Cabers gonna caber, heads in the sand.

Briles is innocent and SEC bound, rape victims are liars, Carlton Dotson is wrongfully imprisoned.

Rinse and repeat.

YoakDaddy
MilliVanilli said:

PartyBear said:

I think what happened actually is that Rhoades put all his eggs in hiring Herman, in fact I think he was probably hired to hire Herman, then Texas unexpectedly made a move against Strong and that threw everything off for him. He then had to scramble to get someone.
You serious, Clark?

Strong was a dead man walking by midseason of last year, truthfully after the first month of the 2016 season.

The Herman sweepstakes was always between UT and LSU.

Strong was dead man walking much earlier; try 2015.
NoBSU
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

You are right. All that matters to this board is that those players are losers. Going to be murder grabbing a cup of coffee or water in the office kitchen tomorrow. Sheer hell.
JXL
boognish_bear said:

It's not surprising that the double-digit IQ's of the SEC didn't understand what Rhule was saying.
Krieg
Those players really were winners.

That is until he arrived. Prior to that they'd never seen a losing season, and now we're about to be 1-11. So yeah, the players are winners, it's just Rhule that's the loser.
MilliVanilli
Krieg said:

Those players really were winners.

That is until he arrived. Prior to that they'd never seen a losing season, and now we're about to be 1-11. So yeah, the players are winners, it's just Rhule that's the loser.
More likely it's an internet poster that has apologized for the inexcusable for 18 months that's a loser.
Mothra
Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

His time at Temple is what gives me hope and allows for the possibility of forgetting the numerous blunders and sloppy play that have been the hallmark of his first season. But with respect to major rebuilds, let's not forget that tearing the place down was his idea. It didn't have to be that way.
Mothra
MilliVanilli said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

Well that certainly is better than the alternative - your blind faith being proven wrong.
Mothra
bear2be2 said:

MilliVanilli said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

It will indeed. We'll see a whole lot of spin and whining about necroposting, I'm sure. And then we'll have folks like Wac, who will pretend they were fans all along, as he did with Briles ... despite ripping that hire and calling for his head in Year 2.

As someone who thinks Rhule's first year was an absolute coaching disaster, I couldn't be any happier to see your blind faith rewarded.
Bear8084
Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

His time at Temple is what gives me hope and allows for the possibility of forgetting the numerous blunders and sloppy play that have been the hallmark of his first season. But with respect to major rebuilds, let's not forget that tearing the place down was his idea. It didn't have to be that way.

True about his Temple tenure, he got off to a bad start there, too. He may have made it worse here, for sure, but also don't forget the previous team did have a regular season losing streak with multiple blowouts in a row. It was not a good season or a good sign of things to come for any new Coach and Staff.
Pale Rider
Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

True about his Temple tenure, he got off to a bad start there, too. He may have made it worse here, for sure, but also don't forget the previous team did have a regular season losing streak with multiple blowouts in a row. It was not a good season or a good sign of things to come for any new Coach and Staff.
He knew it was going to be very difficult the first year. Problem is, all of us didn't.
Bear8084
Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

He knew it was going to be very difficult the first year. Problem is, all of us didn't.

Agree. I am speaking from hindsight as I had us winning from 6 to 8 games.
MilliVanilli
Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Many underestimated the roster depletion.
Boatshoes
We all knew it was going to be difficult this first year. Nobody was predicting a conference championship, bowl game, or a winning record.

Difficult is 4-8. 5-7 when you start the season with Liberty, UTSA, and Duke and play Kansas.

1-11 is blatant incompetence.
Jacques Strap
Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

MilliVanilli said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

As someone who thinks Rhule's first year was an absolute coaching disaster, I couldn't be any happier to see your blind faith rewarded.
Fairly certain I would rejoice at a Big 12 championships under CMR and stand in line to polish the shoes of his statue outside McLane stadium and buy his books. I hope CMR is a great coach for BU. So far though CMR results are 1-10. I must be unusual in that I enjoyed the CAB era and also hope to enjoy the CMR era. I can also see that at 1-10 so far not much to enjoy and this is not a 1-10 roster.
D. C. Bear
Boatshoes said:

We all knew it was going to be difficult this first year. Nobody was predicting a conference championship, bowl game, or a winning record.

Difficult is 4-8. 5-7 when you start the season with Liberty, UTSA, and Duke and play Kansas.

Your bolded statement above is simply false.
Gust Avrakotos
D. C. Bear said:

Boatshoes said:

Your bolded statement above is simply false.

I was predicting a bowl. Shame on me. I thought an idiot could walk in here with our talent, beat liberty and utsa, and win 6 games.

Just goes to show you that there are horrible coaches being hired every year .
Jacques Strap
My final preseason prediction was 6-6 so yeah, bowl game. The wins were
Liberty
UTSA
Duke
Kansas

Two wins from this group
WVU
ISU
Tech
Texas
KSU

Losses
TCU
OU
OSU

Has no idea it would or even could be be this dismal until the the Liberty game...

If someone can dig up the pre season thread on here I was on the pessimistic side at 6-6. Many were 7 wins or better regular season.
EasyE
MilliVanilli said:

Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

How was the defensive line depleted from the previous season? I don't think I heard one good thing about that unit all season. Pre-season we heard about the strides Ira Lewis made during the offseason, how Brian Nance had come back, and how KJ Smith was poised for a solid senior season. Tyrone Hunt had just come off of a bowl MVP performance and there was a natural expectation that Bravion Roy would take a step forward in his development from a true freshman to a more seasoned sophomore. This group should have been better than last year,but the results suggest otherwise, and it was not because their unit was depleted from the previous season.
robby44
EasyE said:

MilliVanilli said:

Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

How was the defensive line depleted from the previous season? I don't think I heard one good thing about that unit all season. Pre-season we heard about the strides Ira Lewis made during the offseason, how Brian Nance had come back, and how KJ Smith was poised for a solid senior season. Tyrone Hunt had just come off of a bowl MVP performance and there was a natural expectation that Bravion Roy would take a step forward in his development from a true freshman to a more seasoned sophomore. This group should have been better than last year,but the results suggest otherwise, and it was not because their unit was depleted from the previous season.

The Roster wasn't "depleted" and I didn't hear anyone say preseaon that this was going to be a "major rebuild"
Didn't hear that until the first 2 catastrophic losses when it became evident that this staff had stepped into a situation that was over their heads
MilliVanilli
robby44 said:

EasyE said:

MilliVanilli said:

Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

The Roster wasn't "depleted" and I didn't hear anyone say preseaon that this was going to be a "major rebuild"
Didn't hear that until the first 2 catastrophic losses when it became evident that this staff had stepped into a situation that was over their heads
Flat out wrong, the roster was very raw, lacked depth and was increasingly strapped as the season progressed.
MilliVanilli
EasyE said:

MilliVanilli said:

Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Nance and KJ Smith fought to stay on the field while nursing injuries. Bravvion Roy was beat out by true freshmen for playing time, the d-line wasn't stellar the year before either.

Hunt played a good game against Boise State, big whoop. Baylor didn't beat a P5 team for a calendar year starting midseason of 2016, and 4 of the 6 losses were blowouts.

robby44
It will be interesting to see how this roster gets "fixed"
Once you go down that road of blaming everything on your roster issues it somehow never gets straightened out. Then you're stuck hoping for the next great recruiting class (thats not gonna come)
Beaneater
Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

MilliVanilli said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

This. I hope we return to winning ways. Many posters say we are improving...from here it just looks like a mess. Rhule had a terrible, terrible year, with one more butt-whipping to come. But he's ours, for at least 2 more seasons, and likely more than that, no matter what. So, hopefully he figures it out. He did well recruiting last year, and signs are he is doing well this year, which is pretty amazing, so well done coach. It would not hurt my feelings at all if he showed up next monday with a pink slip on his desk, but that's not going to happen so...

All this talk of a bowl next year is absurd. Year 3? Let's see what happens in year 2. I'll believe it when I see it. Conference championship? Show me a bowl season then I can maybe think about that.
ColomboLQ
robby44 said:

EasyE said:

MilliVanilli said:

Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

There's definitely constant revisionist history happening on this site, that's for sure.
robby44
ColomboLQ said:

robby44 said:

EasyE said:

MilliVanilli said:

Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

There's definitely constant revisionist history happening on this site, that's for sure.

Yea especially when you have guys who thinks that a d lineman being named MVP of a bowl game is no big deal. What that tells me is you have something to work with
Gust Avrakotos
It's only morons like bear2be2 and nobsu crying about depleted rosters. Both of them were huge Morriss apologists.
Gust Avrakotos
robby44 said:

It will be interesting to see how this roster gets "fixed"
Once you go down that road of blaming everything on your roster issues it somehow never gets straightened out. Then you're stuck hoping for the next great recruiting class (thats not gonna come)

Nice to know that we have some fans that understand the devastation of how this will play out.
303Bear
robby44 said:

Quote:

Yea especially when you have guys who thinks that a d lineman being named MVP of a bowl game is no big deal. What that tells me is you have something to work with
Agree with this. The "roster was super depleted" line doesn't hold much water when looking at the totality of the season.

Liberty, UTSA and Duke - not really an excuse. The roster we have now is on par or better than the teams they field.

The roster was terrible, yet able to hang with OU, and play well at times against KSU and WV. The marked change in offensive play calling surely had nothing to do with that. Wither OU played about as bad as they are capable of doing so against us, or there is more to it than just talent.

Other than the O-Line, no one was seriously concerned about depth that I can remember. And talk of the roster being seriously depleted came about after the season stated.

Look, I hope Rhule turns it around next year, I really do, but this roster, with our schedule, is not the reason we will finish 1-11.
Robert Wilson
ColomboLQ said:

robby44 said:

EasyE said:

MilliVanilli said:

Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Yep

Go back and check all the preseason predictions

I was at 6-6 which had me on the low end

The roster has issues but isn't nearly as bad as it's been made out to be

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.