Football
Sponsored by

"Baylor coach Matt Rhule channels his inner Butch Jones in bizarre press conference"

17,496 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mothra
D. C. Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ATL Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

ATL Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

bear2be2 said:

D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Here's the thing. The roster was depleted is correct when compared to what we've had and had built in recruiting when competing for conference championships. The roster was not 1-10 (probably 1-11) level depleted. This is evidenced by early season personnel and scheme issues that contributed to a few really inexcusable losses This staff made some strategically poor decisions leading up to the season, and have been really scrambling to adjust ever since. Injuries only made the adjustments more difficult and compounded the blunders.

There is nothing you can say about this season except that the team under achieved even the most modest of preseason expectations. We can only hope this staff has a better plan for 2018 and can execute it with the players they have and bring in.

As an aside, one thing I worry about on recruiting is that the type of football Rhule is fond of, even from a defensive scheme standpoint, is not something that permeates Texas high school football, which is your bread and butter recruiting area. It is seen quite a bit here in Georgia and Alabama, and in some of the B1G hotbed states like Pennsylvania and Ohio. I'm curious if he will adjust to the talent pool he's picking most from, or if he thinks he can build on bringing in more out of state players whose learning curves aren't as great.

At some level, tackling is tackling, blocking is blocking, throwing is throwing, catching is catching and running is running.

Yep, and several of those programs are currently poaching and having success with Texas recruits, making that a bogus argument. Nobody runs the exact same system in college they ran in high school, and for many it's drastically different. That's not a success-inhibitor. It's just a good case for redshirting your freshmen, a luxury we didn't have this year.
Yep, Notre Dame and Ohio State have thrived off Texas recruits for decades.
Notre Dame takes 3-4 kids from Texas, as they do Florida, Georgia, California, etc. and all the other states with the most talent. Ohio State is always majority Ohio, but like Notre Dame, they take a few kids each year from the other hot bed states listed above. Not sure we can compare to major Blue Bloods that are always in on the top talent from across the country. We have to live off of Texas (which is a good thing) mostly, but at the 2nd and 3rd tier of talent mostly.
There are 8 Texas kids on Notre Dame's present roster, and when they were blown out in the national title a few years ago they had 5 Texas players starting.

Yes, across 4 different classes, meaning, as I said, a few kids each year (or less). Not to mention Notre Dame probably has the most diverse roster as far as states you could have, as California, Florida, Ohio, Illinois, and NY/NJ all have as many or more kids there than Texas. Again, we don't swim in that same lane as far as that type of recruiting.

We were staring to swim in that lane.
Mothra
I agree 6 wins should happen. Without some major philosophical changes, however, I think it's looking more like 3-4 wins at best. I hope you are right nonetheless.
Mothra
I agree we should. Hope you are right.
LionBear
Gust Avrakotos said:

Steele would have beaten Liberty, he would have eeek'd out a win over UTSA....and he probably would have lost to KU by a field goal.

Gust,

There you go violating the terms of the free board again. In addition to "Steele", "Liberty" and "UTSA", you need to throw in one more from the additional phrase list.

May I suggest "sabotage"? You can also use the "BaylorFans Random Complaint Post Generator Tool". It's located just above the Emoticon selection list. Just a suggestion:

+ Jersey (the coach, not the shirt or the state)
+ Oklahoma (the drill, not the team or the state)
+ The head coach's annual salary
+ The length of the head coach's contract
+ BOR
+ CAB
+ Offensive scheme
+ Defensive scheme
+ Sabbotage
+ Fear of next year's scheduled opponents
+ Personal fear re: receiving/signing for Registered Mail
+ How to get unemployment benefits from the state, Feds or preferably both

Thanks.
LionBear
D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

ATL Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

bear2be2 said:

D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Here's the thing. The roster was depleted is correct when compared to what we've had and had built in recruiting when competing for conference championships. The roster was not 1-10 (probably 1-11) level depleted. This is evidenced by early season personnel and scheme issues that contributed to a few really inexcusable losses This staff made some strategically poor decisions leading up to the season, and have been really scrambling to adjust ever since. Injuries only made the adjustments more difficult and compounded the blunders.

There is nothing you can say about this season except that the team under achieved even the most modest of preseason expectations. We can only hope this staff has a better plan for 2018 and can execute it with the players they have and bring in.

As an aside, one thing I worry about on recruiting is that the type of football Rhule is fond of, even from a defensive scheme standpoint, is not something that permeates Texas high school football, which is your bread and butter recruiting area. It is seen quite a bit here in Georgia and Alabama, and in some of the B1G hotbed states like Pennsylvania and Ohio. I'm curious if he will adjust to the talent pool he's picking most from, or if he thinks he can build on bringing in more out of state players whose learning curves aren't as great.

At some level, tackling is tackling, blocking is blocking, throwing is throwing, catching is catching and running is running.

Yep, and several of those programs are currently poaching and having success with Texas recruits, making that a bogus argument. Nobody runs the exact same system in college they ran in high school, and for many it's drastically different. That's not a success-inhibitor. It's just a good case for redshirting your freshmen, a luxury we didn't have this year.
Notre Dame takes 3-4 kids from Texas, as they do Florida, Georgia, California, etc. and all the other states with the most talent. Ohio State is always majority Ohio, but like Notre Dame, they take a few kids each year from the other hot bed states listed above. Not sure we can compare to major Blue Bloods that are always in on the top talent from across the country. We have to live off of Texas (which is a good thing) mostly, but at the 2nd and 3rd tier of talent mostly.
There are 8 Texas kids on Notre Dame's present roster, and when they were blown out in the national title a few years ago they had 5 Texas players starting.

Yes, across 4 different classes, meaning, as I said, a few kids each year (or less). Not to mention Notre Dame probably has the most diverse roster as far as states you could have, as California, Florida, Ohio, Illinois, and NY/NJ all have as many or more kids there than Texas. Again, we don't swim in that same lane as far as that type of recruiting.

Staring while swimming is so Charlie Rose....
D. C. Bear
TV55 said:

D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

ATL Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

bear2be2 said:

D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Staring while swimming is so Charlie Rose....
lol. I should read before clicking post.
ColomboLQ
D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

"Trust the process" is the new "Internal improvements".

The scoreboard totals, the underlying statistics and the recruiting say they are nothing alike.
"We lose by respectable margins now!"

Go look at what Kevin Steele produced. It was qualitatively and quantitatively much, much worse than what we saw this year.

Kevin Steele didn't have a single 4 star player on his roster. Rhule started with 10.

Now, let's take Steele's talent level and transfer that to today. Think Rhule wouldn't have gotten his ass blown out on a weekly basis? I certainly do.

The talent level allowed for some respectable losses.

That's right. And Rhule is responsible for a fair bit of that talent level, including a number of the upperclassmen.

He picked up a top 40 class last year because he was able to piggyback off of our success and brand the last few years. Steele didn't have that luxury. And as I've said previously, there are countless examples of teams that have been able to recruit well but can't coach worth a damn. See UT the last 6 years.

The coaching this season left a lot to be desired. Hopefully Rhule had some on the job training and learned a lot.

Yes, he was able to use the success of the past few years, but that alone is not enough to account for the good class we got or for the players who could have left (looking at you, Taylor Young) but decided to remain at Baylor and fight.

The coaching may not have left quite so much to be desired if they had just a few more players who were injured. These are not first time coaches with no track record. They know what they are doing.
Nixon is not a first time OC/ play caller?
D. C. Bear
ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

The scoreboard totals, the underlying statistics and the recruiting say they are nothing alike.

Go look at what Kevin Steele produced. It was qualitatively and quantitatively much, much worse than what we saw this year.

Kevin Steele didn't have a single 4 star player on his roster. Rhule started with 10.

Now, let's take Steele's talent level and transfer that to today. Think Rhule wouldn't have gotten his ass blown out on a weekly basis? I certainly do.

That's right. And Rhule is responsible for a fair bit of that talent level, including a number of the upperclassmen.

He picked up a top 40 class last year because he was able to piggyback off of our success and brand the last few years. Steele didn't have that luxury. And as I've said previously, there are countless examples of teams that have been able to recruit well but can't coach worth a damn. See UT the last 6 years.

The coaching this season left a lot to be desired. Hopefully Rhule had some on the job training and learned a lot.

Yes, he was able to use the success of the past few years, but that alone is not enough to account for the good class we got or for the players who could have left (looking at you, Taylor Young) but decided to remain at Baylor and fight.

The coaching may not have left quite so much to be desired if they had just a few more players who were injured. These are not first time coaches with no track record. They know what they are doing.

Yes, he's a first time play caller. He's also an experienced coach. The staff has a lot of veteran coaches. They aren't idiots.
Pale Rider
D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Yes, he's a first time play caller. He's also an experienced coach. The staff has a lot of veteran coaches. They aren't idiots.

A combined 37 years of NFL experience.
MilliVanilli
ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Didn't bother you in the Cotton Bowl embarrassment in 2014, why do you care now?
ColomboLQ
D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Do you think Charlie Strong is an idiot?
MilliVanilli
ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

For employing a first year play caller in Sterlin Gilbert that now thrives with him at USF?
ColomboLQ
You mean the game we set a collegiate bowl record for passing yards? As opposed to a guy who's offense is just offensive? I know you like to troll, but this is too stupid even for you.
MilliVanilli
ColomboLQ said:

You mean the game we set a collegiate bowl record for passing yards? As opposed to a guy who's offense is just offensive? I know you like to troll, but this is too stupid even for you.
You mean where the team couldn't get a simple first down to win the game after blowing a 20 point lead.

D. C. Bear
MilliVanilli said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Didn't bother you in the Cotton Bowl embarrassment in 2014, why do you care now?

Quit dwelling in the past.
MilliVanilli
D. C. Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

You weren't being addressed and clearly weren't informed enough to chime in so move along.
SicThe12
MilliVanilli said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

For employing a first year play caller in Sterlin Gilbert that now thrives with him at USF?

USF offensive number are down across the board. Tell more pretty lies though.
MilliVanilli
SicThe12 said:

MilliVanilli said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Lulz, they're 5-3 and in the thick of things in their conference. Cabers like to whine and moan about any alternate reality narrative they can cling to.
SicThe12
MilliVanilli said:

SicThe12 said:

MilliVanilli said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Lulz, they're 5-3 and in the thick of things in their conference. Cabers like to whine and moan about any alternate reality narrative they can cling to.

USF only has one loss, thats another lie! Keep em coming!!!!
CarelessBear
SicThe12 said:

MilliVanilli said:

SicThe12 said:

MilliVanilli said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

What an ignorant fool
MilliVanilli
SicThe12 said:

MilliVanilli said:

SicThe12 said:

MilliVanilli said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

That was a typo, my bad they are 9-1...but it's hilarious that you're such a thin-skinned troll that now you've pivoted from your original lie that they're somehow a deficient team.

What a remarkable unintentional triggering.

Mothra
TV55 said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

Steele would have beaten Liberty, he would have eeek'd out a win over UTSA....and he probably would have lost to KU by a field goal.

Gust,

There you go violating the terms of the free board again. In addition to "Steele", "Liberty" and "UTSA", you need to throw in one more from the additional phrase list.

May I suggest "sabotage"? You can also use the "BaylorFans Random Complaint Post Generator Tool". It's located just above the Emoticon selection list. Just a suggestion:

+ Jersey (the coach, not the shirt or the state)
+ Oklahoma (the drill, not the team or the state)
+ The head coach's annual salary
+ The length of the head coach's contract
+ BOR
+ CAB
+ Offensive scheme
+ Defensive scheme
+ Sabbotage
+ Fear of next year's scheduled opponents
+ Personal fear re: receiving/signing for Registered Mail
+ How to get unemployment benefits from the state, Feds or preferably both

Thanks.

Do you have this post saved and you just keep reposting it? I swear I either have deja vu or I've seen this same post like 5 or 6 times.
MilliVanilli
CarelessBear said:

SicThe12 said:

MilliVanilli said:

SicThe12 said:

MilliVanilli said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

What an ignorant fool
Let the group therapy begin!

Mothra
D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Steele was an experienced coach as well. Had spent more than a decade in the NFL before coming here. However the fact is Nixon hasn't been an OC with any measure of success anywhere else.
bear2be2
Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Steele was an experienced coach as well. Had spent more than a decade in the NFL before coming here. However the fact is Nixon hasn't been an OC with any measure of success anywhere else.
Steele was hired as a head coach without ever being so much as a coordinator. Comparing him to a coordinator whose resume qualified him for the job he holds, whether he'd done it previously or not, is silly IMO.

Nixon may or may not succeed in his position, but the angst here regarding his offensive scheme is premature. Art Briles' first two Baylor offenses averaged 28 and 20.8 points per game, respectively. Wait and see what Nixon's offense looks like when he has the line to actually run it.
SicThe12
MilliVanilli said:

SicThe12 said:

MilliVanilli said:

SicThe12 said:

MilliVanilli said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

That was a typo, my bad they are 9-1...but it's hilarious that you're such a thin-skinned troll that now you've pivoted from your original lie that they're somehow a deficient team.

"typo" riiiiigggghhhhhhtttt keep spewing horse manure and then copping pleas when corrected

2016 USF finished 13th in the entire NCAA in total offense. They played 3 ranked teams

This year they have played 0 ranked teams. They are currently 26th. In total offense.

Try to keep up.
Mothra
The idea that you think Nixon's resume qualified him for the job is remarkable. I see nothing in that resume to suggest he would be successful as an OC in the premiere offensive conference in the land because he spent a season as Kelly's RB coach. Sorry.

Unlike you, I simply can't blame the players for everything. Buck stops with the coaches.
MilliVanilli
SicThe12 said:

MilliVanilli said:

SicThe12 said:

MilliVanilli said:

SicThe12 said:

MilliVanilli said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

saw this year.

"typo" riiiiigggghhhhhhtttt keep spewing horse manure and then copping pleas when corrected

2016 USF finished 13th in the entire NCAA in total offense. They played 3 ranked teams

This year they have played 0 ranked teams. They are currently 26th. In total offense.

Try to keep up.
So easy to trigger a petulant and desperate troll writhing in the death throes of his agenda.

Your argument was trying to discredit that a 9-1 team was thriving, and when my phone copied and pasted their bowl record as opposed to their current record you flip out and try to pivot, absolutely hilarious.

The mood in caber land is so desperate and clingy at this point that it will just rant without reason.

Because whether 5-3 or 9-1 Strong and Gilbert and doing great in USF, contrary to your ever-changing rant.

PS if strength of schedule really mattered to you then you wouldn't be an FAU fanboy, a team that hasn't beaten anyone ranked and has lost to Buffalo, but we all know your agenda so it figures.

SicThe12
Offense is way worse, same QB, same backs, same recivers. But "thriving" we all knew milli was challenged but this takes the cake.
MilliVanilli
SicThe12 said:

Offense is way worse, same QB, same backs, same recivers. But "thriving" we all knew milli was challenged but this takes the cake.
9-1 but not thriving...ok.

Meanwhile losing to Buffalo and playing Conference USA is awesome success...
D. C. Bear
MilliVanilli said:

D. C. Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

You weren't being addressed and clearly weren't informed enough to chime in so move along.

Do you ever wonder why you get banned?
MilliVanilli
D. C. Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

D. C. Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Do you ever wonder why you get banned?
Lulz, are you capable of existing without clutching your pearls and being a busybody?

Please show us where the post triggered you.

It's true I have occasionally offended the sensibilities of those ill-equipped to adult and have to run for protection because they can't take what they might dish out or parrot absolute lies as cabers do.

Do I care that you're offended? No, not one iota.
bear2be2
Mothra said:

The idea that you think Nixon's resume qualified him for the job is remarkable. I see nothing in that resume to suggest he would be successful as an OC in the premiere offensive conference in the land because he spent a season as Kelly's RB coach. Sorry.

Unlike you, I simply can't blame the players for everything. Buck stops with the coaches.
Nixon has coached every offensive position but the line, has experience at the small college, Division I and NFL levels and has experience in a variety of schemes and under a variety of head coaches. The only thing lacking from his resume was play-calling experience, which is true of every first-year offensive coordinator. It was true of Matt Lubick until 2016 -- a season that got his head coach fired. Was he qualified?

If your stance is that we shouldn't have hired a first-year OC, then I can't really argue with that. But Nixon's resume is as good or better than most coaches at the time of their first coordinator jobs.
MilliVanilli
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

Nixon has coached every offensive position but the line, has experience at the small college, Division I and NFL levels and has experience in a variety of schemes and under a variety of head coaches. The only thing lacking from his resume was play-calling experience, which is true of every first-year offensive coordinator. It was true of Matt Lubick until 2016 -- a season that got his head coach fired. Was he qualified?

If your stance is that we shouldn't have hired a first-year OC, then I can't really argue with that. But Nixon's resume is as good or better than most coaches at the time of their first coordinator jobs.
Pay no mind to the death throes of those that feel powerless that are trying desperately to feel empowered from their cynical armchairs, their schtick is louder because it's more desperate than ever.

it's what happens when your hopes get dashed and you are too prideful to admit you miscalculated what you chose to hope in, it must be some external reason they're unhappy, couldn't possibly be an internal misplacement of anything that brought them such unmitigated misery.

GoldenBear007
What was this thread about again?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.