Football
Sponsored by

"Baylor coach Matt Rhule channels his inner Butch Jones in bizarre press conference"

17,507 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mothra
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He wasn't dead man walking when Rhoades can on board. I was actually told in August of 16 by an athletic dept staffer that this is why Rhoades was the pick for AD. Trust me Milli I told the guy that would be a stupid reason to hire someone as the AD.

It also makes sense that the 5 month search for a HC ended with a last minute scramble
boognish_bear
GShack
Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Johnny Bear said:

Chanceux said:

Gotdang Kevin Steele is back.
Not really. Kevin Steele would've at least beaten Liberty (especially at home).

And then get blown out by everyone else.

I bet he'd have won at least 3 (UTSA and Kansas). Maybe we go 3-9 and lose all 9 by 40+, but that's still a 300% improvement over this year.

That is unless you're Rhule and think you can win without actually winning.

Side note, we had a member last night post this quote that apparently is notable enough that an SEC website talks about it... but the mods deleted the thread. Pretty ridiculous censorship if you ask me.

Why was that thread deleted??
Gust Avrakotos
PartyBear said:

He wasn't dead man walking when Rhoades can on board. I was actually told in August of 16 by an athletic dept staffer that this is why Rhoades was the pick for AD. Trust me Milli I told the guy that would be a stupid reason to hire someone as the AD.

It also makes sense that the 5 month search for a HC ended with a last minute scramble
The board admin claim that Rhodes interviewed 2 others. I don't think that it was a last minute scramble...I don't think anyone but Jersey was ever given real consideration.

Rhodes knew he was hiring Jersey after the interview at Mizzou.
Gust Avrakotos
GShack said:

Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Johnny Bear said:

Chanceux said:

I bet he'd have won at least 3 (UTSA and Kansas). Maybe we go 3-9 and lose all 9 by 40+, but that's still a 300% improvement over this year.

Side note, we had a member last night post this quote that apparently is notable enough that an SEC website talks about it... but the mods deleted the thread. Pretty ridiculous censorship if you ask me.

Because even the board admin knew how ridiculously stupid it sounded and they knew it would be controversial given 1-11.
xiledinok
Maybe it was a back handed slap at some folks. It was a good day of good byes yesterday.
The regents made sure to cover the left over from Briles with black funeral sheets.
Jersey as you call him was in demolition mode this year.
They previous house was burnt down by mistakes at all levels.
Jersey best start his work. We will not settle for a Tri State tent city of a football team next season.
Quinton
Franklins said:

Once you start seeing these types of bizarre quotes it is a death knell. I'm not saying it's going to happen tomorrow, but nobody comes back from this combination of disastrous losses and desperate spin behavior. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying he's proud that they are still out there fighting but the Little League "we're all winners in my book" rhetoric is embarrassing.

Matthew understands the kind of pasties he is dealing with at Bu. He also understands the terrible perception the school has right now. As long as he talks up effort and character he is in the catbird seat for years. He knows this.

Now i believe he also wants to win but if it doesn't happen for him he gets job security for awhile playing this "kids are winners" line.
Quinton
robby44 said:

We've gone from being feared to being laughed at

Robby, if you were playing for this guy would you start to be embarrassed with your coach at this point?
Quinton
PartyBear said:

Franklins said:

Once you start seeing these types of bizarre quotes it is a death knell. I'm not saying it's going to happen tomorrow, but nobody comes back from this combination of disastrous losses and desperate spin behavior. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying he's proud that they are still out there fighting but the Little League "we're all winners in my book" rhetoric is embarrassing.

Agree, he knows the end is near. Not saying next week, but probably 53 weeks from yesterday or today if things aren't significantly better by then. He is already exhibiting Steele final year antics.

Party, nothing is happening to this guy next year unless he goes 0 fer and offends some no name regents sensibilities by having a beer in public or something
D. C. Bear
Franklins said:

There are two kinds of coaches, those that have been fired and those that are gonna be fired.
Krieg
GShack said:

Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Johnny Bear said:

Chanceux said:

I'm guessing because they didn't want that line of criticism or something, but I don't know. Since I still have the thread up in my browser, I'll copy the OP here and let you decide if it was reasonable.

OP: SicThe12
Title:
"We may not have walked the field off as winners but we're winners in my book,"

Body:
-Jersey

I wish i was making this up

https://twitter.com/DavidSmoak/status/932032686973161472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsicem365.com%2Fs%2F2062%2Fgameday-thread-baylor-vs-iowa-state

How that violates the rules on any website is beyond me.
PartyBear
Compounding said:

PartyBear said:

Franklins said:

Agree, he knows the end is near. Not saying next week, but probably 53 weeks from yesterday or today if things aren't significantly better by then. He is already exhibiting Steele final year antics.

Party, nothing is happening to this guy next year unless he goes 0 fer and offends some no name regents sensibilities by having a beer in public or something

You perhaps didn't see the desolate McLane including tail gating grounds in person. The bottom line is going to dictate and I think after what I observed yesterday, possibly sooner perhaps than I thought based on a turnout that truly shocked even me.
boognish_bear
Fwiw...full context of the quote...

"Anytime, you know, if the program's about the players and not about you, you're always sad when they lose. I know how much this meant to them, and I know how hard they've worked and how hard they've tried. Just to not be able to have them -- I really wanted them to walk off the field and I wanted the fans to have us walk off the field victorious. But I told the seniors, we didn't win the game, but that doesn't mean we're not winners. Those young men are winners. They try to do things right. We'll hopefully continue to press forward with them for one more week."
drahthaar
Johnny Bear said:

Chanceux said:

I'd tend to agree here except I saw that game, and the way Liberty played, Steele would have lost that, too.
SicThe12
Krieg said:

GShack said:

Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Johnny Bear said:

Chanceux said:

I'm guessing because they didn't want that line of criticism or something, but I don't know. Since I still have the thread up in my browser, I'll copy the OP here and let you decide if it was reasonable.

OP: SicThe12
Title:
"We may not have walked the field off as winners but we're winners in my book,"

Body:
-Jersey

I wish i was making this up

https://twitter.com/DavidSmoak/status/932032686973161472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsicem365.com%2Fs%2F2062%2Fgameday-thread-baylor-vs-iowa-state

How that violates the rules on any website is beyond me.
Yeah I don't see how i posted anything warranting removal. Baylor fans can't talk about the quote but SEC websites can?
D. C. Bear
GShack said:

Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Johnny Bear said:

Chanceux said:

I don't recall anything specific, but threads may sometimes get deleted because of the posts that come after the OP. Wouldn't surprise me if a mod decided to just delete it instead of messing with individual posts.
Krieg
D. C. Bear said:

GShack said:

Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Johnny Bear said:

Chanceux said:

I don't recall anything specific, but threads may sometimes get deleted because of the posts that come after the OP. Wouldn't surprise me if a mod decided to just delete it instead of messing with individual posts.

It's just censorship.
baylor88bear
robby44 was one of the best ever Period. Yes #63 was unbelievable. But those of you like me who saw robby44 play know just how good he was. When he post stuff about being laughed at. My hope is we have players who take this to heart and come out on a mission next year
Mothra
boognish_bear said:

"Anytime, you know, if the program's about the players and not about you, you're always sad when they lose. I know how much this meant to them, and I know how hard they've worked and how hard they've tried. Just to not be able to have them -- I really wanted them to walk off the field and I wanted the fans to have us walk off the field victorious. But I told the seniors, we didn't win the game, but that doesn't mean we're not winners. Those young men are winners. They try to do things right. We'll hopefully continue to press forward with them for one more week."

I have no problem at all with that.
Krieg
baylor88bear said:

robby44 was one of the best ever Period. Yes #63 was unbelievable. But those of you like me who saw robby44 play know just how good he was. When he post stuff about being laughed at. My hope is we have players who take this to heart and come out on a mission next year

I don't think it's up to the players...
Forest Bueller
RR/BV said:

Woodway Family Center. Everyone plays and everyone is a winner. Part of the *****fication of America. You can be a winner in life and still get the ever loving crap kicked out of you. When that happens you are a LOSER

I hear what you are saying.

OTOH I've known a few people who went from the everyone plays league to kicking ass.

You gotta start somewhere.
RR/BV
No scores kept or standings. Believe me my boys knew who won and lost at WFC
RealLarryDon
Statements like that add even more credence to my belief that he may unfortunately be more of a motivational speaker than a X's and O's football coach.
Bear8084
RealLarryDon said:

Statements like that add even more credence to my belief that he may unfortunately be more of a motivational speaker than a X's and O's football coach.

It's not like he's won before or anything...
RealLarryDon
Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

You are so right. He's off to a fast start as HC in a P5 conference. After all, we did beat Kansas.
D. C. Bear
RealLarryDon said:

It is ridiculous to think that a guy with Rhule's background would not know Xs and Os.
Bear8084
RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

You are so right. He's off to a fast start as HC in a P5 conference. After all, we did beat Kansas.

He did have back to back 10 win seasons before stepping into our now major rebuild.
RealLarryDon
D. C. Bear said:

RealLarryDon said:

It is ridiculous to think that a guy with Rhule's background would not know Xs and Os.
1-10 is pretty compelling evidence.
Bear8084
D. C. Bear said:

RealLarryDon said:

Yup. But I am growing used to hot takes thrown out here without much thought behind them.

At least a "let that sink in" wasn't added at the end. That's like the #1 hot take conclusion on here.
Grizz Air
#big12participationprize
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

Context doesn't matter here. You know that.
MilliVanilli
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

If Rhule pans out once given a fair shot it will be fun to see what all the chicken littles and cabers do to walk back their idiotic rants.
ImwithBU
Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

He did have back to back 10 win seasons before stepping into our now major rebuild.

This team won 7 games last year with an intern coach. He could of won 6. Liberty sucks UTSA beatable, Duke sucks, Kansas sucks, Tech sucks, that gives you 5 wins and 7 games to get an upset. Any coach that is considered big time can manage an upset
MilliVanilli
ImwithBU said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

This team won 7 games last year with an intern coach. He could of won 6. Liberty sucks UTSA beatable, Duke sucks, Kansas sucks, Tech sucks, that gives you 5 wins and 7 games to get an upset. Any coach that is considered big time can manage an upset
Just stop with this obtuse narrative. Baylor got blown out in four of their last six games, they completely fell apart after October 15, 2016 and didn't beat a P5 team for more than a calendar year afterwards.
ImwithBU
MilliVanilli said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

If Rhule pans out once given a fair shot it will be fun to see what all the chicken littles and cabers do to walk back their idiotic rants.

That's a BIG IF the way things have gone. Some expected us to be bowl ineligible this season. No one expected 1 win. Worse part is we get to cap the season off with TCU kicking out asses again. Rhule doesn't like for teams to run up the score, he is going to real butthurt come Friday

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.