Football
Sponsored by

"Baylor coach Matt Rhule channels his inner Butch Jones in bizarre press conference"

17,394 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mothra
SicThe12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/baylor-coach-matt-rhule-channels-inner-butch-jones-bizarre-press-conference-quote
GhettoHEBear
Quote:

And unfortunatly for Matt Rhule of Baylor, he gave a particularly cring worthy quote following his team's 23-13 loss to Iowa State.
"We may not have walked the field off as winners but we're winners in my book," Rhule said.
Some would point out that in the real record book, the Bears are now 1-10 on the season, which is even worse than Jones' Tennessee team.
Rhule declared moral victory. What's so bizarre about that?
Baylor Mafioso
Franklins
Once you start seeing these types of bizarre quotes it is a death knell. I'm not saying it's going to happen tomorrow, but nobody comes back from this combination of disastrous losses and desperate spin behavior. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying he's proud that they are still out there fighting but the Little League "we're all winners in my book" rhetoric is embarrassing.
SicThe12
GhettoHEBear said:

Quote:

And unfortunatly for Matt Rhule of Baylor, he gave a particularly cring worthy quote following his team's 23-13 loss to Iowa State.
"We may not have walked the field off as winners but we're winners in my book," Rhule said.
Some would point out that in the real record book, the Bears are now 1-10 on the season, which is even worse than Jones' Tennessee team.
I think the fact that it was our 4-5th moral victory of the year. Or that this is big time college football, they shouldn't exist at all?
robby44
We've gone from being feared to being laughed at
CorsicanaBear
Losing to Liberty and UTSA in your first two games as a P5 head coach is hard to overcome.
Illigitimus non carborundum
BylrFan
Champions of life
PartyBear
BylrFan said:

Champions of life

That was real? I thought the Noze Brothers we're behind that.
Chanceux
Gotdang Kevin Steele is back.
PartyBear
Franklins said:

Once you start seeing these types of bizarre quotes it is a death knell. I'm not saying it's going to happen tomorrow, but nobody comes back from this combination of disastrous losses and desperate spin behavior. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying he's proud that they are still out there fighting but the Little League "we're all winners in my book" rhetoric is embarrassing.

Agree, he knows the end is near. Not saying next week, but probably 53 weeks from yesterday or today if things aren't significantly better by then. He is already exhibiting Steele final year antics.
lakersfan34
PartyBear said:

Franklins said:

Agree, he knows the end is near. Not saying next week, but probably 53 weeks from yesterday or today if things aren't significantly better by then. He is already exhibiting Steele final year antics.
Guessing he gets at least 3 years. The staff comes back intact next year, repeats some equivalent level of failure in the second season, the AD forces coordinator(s) changes, he becomes a lame duck and then gets fired at end of a 3-9 season in the third year. We'll look back at Liberty like we look back at the UNLV debacle during Steele's first year. It is difficult to climb out of holes in your initial season.
PartyBear
If the turnout including the tail gate turnout yesterday is a harbinger of support for this going forward, which the AD should take as such, they aren't going to let this go on beyond 2 years. They can't afford to let it go longer. In fact a career AD such as Is Rhoades is going to be shxtting his pants showing up yesterday and seeing a half full stadium and half full tail gate grounds. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is talking now to BMDs to see if there is possibility he can get a buyout together as soon as next weekend. Rhoades knows he loses his among the highest paid in the country AD gig here real soon as well if he can't fix this.
SMack
SicThe12 said:

GhettoHEBear said:

Quote:

I think the fact that it was our 4-5th moral victory of the year. Or that this is big time college football, they shouldn't exist at all?

So if we get one more moral victory, do we become moral bowl-eligible?
BaylorOkie
The BOR would love for us to play in the Moral Bowl.
PartyBear
BaylorOkie said:

Only if we win it by coming within 2 TDS of the opponent.
NoBSU
BaylorOkie said:

Ummm. That does sound good. Sauteed in butter with a little pepper and salt.

I sometimes have trouble with my a and e vowels.
Robert Wilson
CorsicanaBear said:

Losing to Liberty and UTSA in your first two games as a P5 head coach is hard to overcome.

I agree. He made some major tactical and even strategic errors early that are going to be very difficult to overcome. A more incremental approach on implementing the defense and a willingness to play the hand he was dealt on offense would've gone a long way.
SMack
What other teams are moral bowl-eligible?
Johnny Bear
Chanceux said:

Not really. Kevin Steele would've at least beaten Liberty (especially at home).
gobears.
SMack said:

SicThe12 said:

GhettoHEBear said:

Quote:

So if we get one more moral victory, do we become moral bowl-eligible?
Dia del DougO

Matt Rhule didn't have a full roster chock full of seasoned five star talent like Butch wasted (after actually trying covering up rape, but they failed to mention that part for some odd reason). SEC Country seems like they suck.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Chanceux
Dia del DougO said:

Matt Rhule didn't have a full roster chock full of seasoned five star talent like Butch wasted (after actually trying covering up rape, but they failed to mention that part for some odd reason). SEC Country seems like they suck.
Did cover up rape. Paid the big bucks and moved on. Course it wasn't institutional like at Baylor.
PartyBear
Dia del DougO said:

If he did, he may have won 2 or 3 games.
Bear8084
Johnny Bear said:

Chanceux said:

And then get blown out by everyone else.
Gust Avrakotos
This loser is the reincarnation of Kevin Steele.
Dia del DougO
Gust Avrakotos said:

This loser is the reincarnation of Kevin Steele.

Not true. I don't think Rhule ever ate a carrot in his life.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
RR/BV
Woodway Family Center. Everyone plays and everyone is a winner. Part of the *****fication of America. You can be a winner in life and still get the ever loving crap kicked out of you. When that happens you are a LOSER
Gust Avrakotos
PartyBear said:

If the turnout including the tail gate turnout yesterday is a harbinger of support for this going forward, which the AD should take as such, they aren't going to let this go on beyond 2 years. They can't afford to let it go longer. In fact a career AD such as Is Rhoades is going to be shxtting his pants showing up yesterday and seeing a half full stadium and half full tail gate grounds. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is talking now to BMDs to see if there is possibility he can get a buyout together as soon as next weekend. Rhoades knows he loses his among the highest paid in the country AD gig here real soon as well if he can't fix this.
I love hearing this. I hope nobody was there (sorry Sr's but you are the victims in all of this) and that next season the stadium is half full.

McCollum, Hurd and the others need to explain this to the alumni and that is where we are headed.

Beautiful!
PartyBear
It was pretty clear that the bottom has fallen out in terms of support for what is going on with the program since the last game in Waco. I'll say it again it was very reminiscient of the atmosphere at Steele's last home game in 2002 against OSU. I'll say again. I was expecting this about a year from now if things were still bad. I was very surprised at the turnout yesterday enough that I'm wondering if it might be a game changer.
Krieg
Bear8084 said:

Johnny Bear said:

Chanceux said:

And then get blown out by everyone else.

I bet he'd have won at least 3 (UTSA and Kansas). Maybe we go 3-9 and lose all 9 by 40+, but that's still a 300% improvement over this year.

That is unless you're Rhule and think you can win without actually winning.

Side note, we had a member last night post this quote that apparently is notable enough that an SEC website talks about it... but the mods deleted the thread. Pretty ridiculous censorship if you ask me.
Gust Avrakotos
Steele would have beaten Liberty, he would have eeek'd out a win over UTSA....and he probably would have lost to KU by a field goal.
BellCountyBear
Matt Rhule has solidified my dislike of most yankees. Going from west Texas to any yankee was a tactical mistake.
Gust Avrakotos
Franklins said:

This is exactly right. This is the beginning of a coach realizing that he was completely in over his head when he took the job and now it is basically trying to string it out as long as he can to keep the checks rolling in.

I told JC Wartsman this the other day.....Mack Rhodes made the hiring decision of Jersey without considering another coach. Jersey won the Baylor job during his interview at Mizzou.

We have an AD that cheated the entire university out of "The Process". Not that ridiculously stupid process that the board admin wants you to believe in. I'm talking about "the hiring process".

The great news here though is that if Jersey goes down.....so does Rhodes. He will never get another P5 job because Jersey will be around his neck like a lead anchor.
PartyBear
I think what happened actually is that Rhoades put all his eggs in hiring Herman, in fact I think he was probably hired to hire Herman, then Texas unexpectedly made a move against Strong and that threw everything off for him. He then had to scramble to get someone.
MilliVanilli
PartyBear said:

I think what happened actually is that Rhoades put all his eggs in hiring Herman, in fact I think he was probably hired to hire Herman, then Texas unexpectedly made a move against Strong and that threw everything off for him. He then had to scramble to get someone.
You serious, Clark?

Strong was a dead man walking by midseason of last year, truthfully after the first month of the 2016 season.

The Herman sweepstakes was always between UT and LSU.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.