Football
Sponsored by

"Baylor coach Matt Rhule channels his inner Butch Jones in bizarre press conference"

17,499 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mothra
RioRata
How long do you want to ignore this user?
robby44 said:

EasyE said:

MilliVanilli said:

Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Statements like that add even more credence to my belief that he may unfortunately be more of a motivational speaker than a X's and O's football coach.

It's not like he's won before or anything...
You are so right. He's off to a fast start as HC in a P5 conference. After all, we did beat Kansas.

He did have back to back 10 win seasons before stepping into our now major rebuild.

His time at Temple is what gives me hope and allows for the possibility of forgetting the numerous blunders and sloppy play that have been the hallmark of his first season. But with respect to major rebuilds, let's not forget that tearing the place down was his idea. It didn't have to be that way.

True about his Temple tenure, he got off to a bad start there, too. He may have made it worse here, for sure, but also don't forget the previous team did have a regular season losing streak with multiple blowouts in a row. It was not a good season or a good sign of things to come for any new Coach and Staff.
He knew it was going to be very difficult the first year. Problem is, all of us didn't.
Many underestimated the roster depletion.

How was the defensive line depleted from the previous season? I don't think I heard one good thing about that unit all season. Pre-season we heard about the strides Ira Lewis made during the offseason, how Brian Nance had come back, and how KJ Smith was poised for a solid senior season. Tyrone Hunt had just come off of a bowl MVP performance and there was a natural expectation that Bravion Roy would take a step forward in his development from a true freshman to a more seasoned sophomore. This group should have been better than last year,but the results suggest otherwise, and it was not because their unit was depleted from the previous season.

The Roster wasn't "depleted" and I didn't hear anyone say preseaon that this was going to be a "major rebuild"
Didn't hear that until the first 2 catastrophic losses when it became evident that this staff had stepped into a situation that was over their heads

Whole lotta truth right here.
MilliVanilli
Robert Wilson said:

ColomboLQ said:

robby44 said:

EasyE said:

MilliVanilli said:

Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Statements like that add even more credence to my belief that he may unfortunately be more of a motivational speaker than a X's and O's football coach.

You are so right. He's off to a fast start as HC in a P5 conference. After all, we did beat Kansas.

He did have back to back 10 win seasons before stepping into our now major rebuild.

His time at Temple is what gives me hope and allows for the possibility of forgetting the numerous blunders and sloppy play that have been the hallmark of his first season. But with respect to major rebuilds, let's not forget that tearing the place down was his idea. It didn't have to be that way.

True about his Temple tenure, he got off to a bad start there, too. He may have made it worse here, for sure, but also don't forget the previous team did have a regular season losing streak with multiple blowouts in a row. It was not a good season or a good sign of things to come for any new Coach and Staff.
He knew it was going to be very difficult the first year. Problem is, all of us didn't.

How was the defensive line depleted from the previous season? I don't think I heard one good thing about that unit all season. Pre-season we heard about the strides Ira Lewis made during the offseason, how Brian Nance had come back, and how KJ Smith was poised for a solid senior season. Tyrone Hunt had just come off of a bowl MVP performance and there was a natural expectation that Bravion Roy would take a step forward in his development from a true freshman to a more seasoned sophomore. This group should have been better than last year,but the results suggest otherwise, and it was not because their unit was depleted from the previous season.

The Roster wasn't "depleted" and I didn't hear anyone say preseaon that this was going to be a "major rebuild"
Didn't hear that until the first 2 catastrophic losses when it became evident that this staff had stepped into a situation that was over their heads
There's definitely constant revisionist history happening on this site, that's for sure.

Yep

Go back and check all the preseason predictions

I was at 6-6 which had me on the low end

The roster has issues but isn't nearly as bad as it's been made out to be
Please tell us how elite and experienced the o and d lines are, we can't wait to hear you dissect that for us in detail.
YoakDaddy
Trust The Process is now a joke.

We rode the shuttle from McLane back to the FCS lot. As we were filing into the shuttle, some dude said very loudly to Trust The Process. Cynical laughing ensued then the dude said we were a young team to which somebody else shouted GTF outta here. Didn't care for the vulgarity since I had kids with me, but Trust The Process is now a joke among alumni and fans.
Robert Wilson
YoakDaddy said:

Trust The Process is now a joke.

We rode the shuttle from McLane back to the FCS lot. As we were filing into the shuttle, some dude said very loudly to Trust The Process. Cynical laughing ensued then the dude said we were a young team to which somebody else shouted GTF outta here. Didn't care for the vulgarity since I had kids with me, but Trust The Process is now a joke among alumni and fans.

During the game, some guys behind me kept yelling "trust the process." At first, I thought they must've come from the sic em premium board. Then, I realized they were making fun of it by yelling it at inopportune times. I did not hear them get any pushback.
AbeFromanZZ
I didn't see a depleted roster at all. I watched all season as we ran a horribly predictable offense and defense. Starting with UTSA we were out schemed routinely and made very few adjustments. As a coach, I cannot imagine starting a season with your 3rd string qb and routinely making terrible roster moves and not play calling to the strengths of your team. With our o line being the weak spot of the entire team, the last 2 games, we lined up in sets that included no wide receivers and ran power iso that just continuously got stuffed for less than a yard when that is all we needed. In the later parts of the 4th quarter of the ISU game the announcers mentioned that we averaged 3rd and 8 on offense for the entire game. That calls for major changes in play calling including who is calling the plays all together.
D. C. Bear
robby44 said:

EasyE said:

MilliVanilli said:

Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

You heard me say that the offensive line was very thin and would need to develop as a unit and avoid injuries or it could be a long season. They did not avoid injuries and we ended up playing guys who should never have been on the field. For big chunks of the season, we had no tight end who could catch the ball. As the season went on, we lost a lot of speed at WR, the kind of speed that can make a defense change. At defensive end, KJ Smith, an all conference kind of player barely played. At various times we were missing both Hasty and Williams, two really good backs. We lost our kicker, which probably cost a TD against Tech. Early on we were missing big chunks of the defensive backfield, we also saw losses at linebacker. Oh, and we're down to a true freshman QB.

None of that excuses 1-10, but it does help explain the difference between what we expected we could see and what we have unfortunately seen.
SMack
"Trust the process" is the new "Internal improvements".
D. C. Bear
SMack said:

The scoreboard totals, the underlying statistics and the recruiting say they are nothing alike.
SicThe12
D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

The scoreboard totals, the underlying statistics and the recruiting say they are nothing alike.
"We lose by respectable margins now!"
D. C. Bear
SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Go look at what Kevin Steele produced. It was qualitatively and quantitatively much, much worse than what we saw this year.
Robert Wilson
D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Go look at what Kevin Steele produced. It was qualitatively and quantitatively much, much worse than what we saw this year.

I agree Steele was much worse (other than the W/L column).

But what a baseline.
SicThe12
D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

he produced more wins
bear2be2
303Bear said:

robby44 said:

Quote:

Yea especially when you have guys who thinks that a d lineman being named MVP of a bowl game is no big deal. What that tells me is you have something to work with
Agree with this. The "roster was super depleted" line doesn't hold much water when looking at the totality of the season.

Liberty, UTSA and Duke - not really an excuse. The roster we have now is on par or better than the teams they field.

The roster was terrible, yet able to hang with OU, and play well at times against KSU and WV. The marked change in offensive play calling surely had nothing to do with that. Wither OU played about as bad as they are capable of doing so against us, or there is more to it than just talent.

Other than the O-Line, no one was seriously concerned about depth that I can remember. And talk of the roster being seriously depleted came about after the season stated.

Look, I hope Rhule turns it around next year, I really do, but this roster, with our schedule, is not the reason we will finish 1-11.

I don't know of anyone who has said the roster is terrible. It's just really young and inexperienced, and talent-poor in two key positions -- offensive line and safety. Add in an insane number of injuries and a poor start and you get what we got this season.

But all of this team's biggest issues are temporary, a fact routinely ignored by the doom and gloom crowd. The vast majority of the game-breaking mistakes we've seen this season can and will be fixed through recruiting and development, and wins will come quickly once they have.
D. C. Bear
Robert Wilson said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

I agree Steele was much worse (other than the W/L column).

But what a baseline.

When someone basically says that Rhule is Steele, that is their comparison, not mine.
ATL Bear
Here's the thing. The roster was depleted is correct when compared to what we've had and had built in recruiting when competing for conference championships. The roster was not 1-10 (probably 1-11) level depleted. This is evidenced by early season personnel and scheme issues that contributed to a few really inexcusable losses This staff made some strategically poor decisions leading up to the season, and have been really scrambling to adjust ever since. Injuries only made the adjustments more difficult and compounded the blunders.

There is nothing you can say about this season except that the team under achieved even the most modest of preseason expectations. We can only hope this staff has a better plan for 2018 and can execute it with the players they have and bring in.

As an aside, one thing I worry about on recruiting is that the type of football Rhule is fond of, even from a defensive scheme standpoint, is not something that permeates Texas high school football, which is your bread and butter recruiting area. It is seen quite a bit here in Georgia and Alabama, and in some of the B1G hotbed states like Pennsylvania and Ohio. I'm curious if he will adjust to the talent pool he's picking most from, or if he thinks he can build on bringing in more out of state players whose learning curves aren't as great.
D. C. Bear
ATL Bear said:

Here's the thing. The roster was depleted is correct when compared to what we've had and had built in recruiting when competing for conference championships. The roster was not 1-10 (probably 1-11) level depleted. This is evidenced by early season personnel and scheme issues that contributed to a few really inexcusable losses This staff made some strategically poor decisions leading up to the season, and have been really scrambling to adjust ever since. Injuries only made the adjustments more difficult and compounded the blunders.

There is nothing you can say about this season except that the team under achieved even the most modest of preseason expectations. We can only hope this staff has a better plan for 2018 and can execute it with the players they have and bring in.

As an aside, one thing I worry about on recruiting is that the type of football Rhule is fond of, even from a defensive scheme standpoint, is not something that permeates Texas high school football, which is your bread and butter recruiting area. It is seen quite a bit here in Georgia and Alabama, and in some of the B1G hotbed states like Pennsylvania and Ohio. I'm curious if he will adjust to the talent pool he's picking most from, or if he thinks he can build on bringing in more out of state players whose learning curves aren't as great.

At some level, tackling is tackling, blocking is blocking, throwing is throwing, catching is catching and running is running.
bear2be2
D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

At some level, tackling is tackling, blocking is blocking, throwing is throwing, catching is catching and running is running.

Yep, and several of those programs are currently poaching and having success with Texas recruits, making that a bogus argument. Nobody runs the exact same system in college they ran in high school, and for many it's drastically different. That's not a success-inhibitor. It's just a good case for redshirting your freshmen, a luxury we didn't have this year.
Mothra
D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Kevin Steele didn't have a single 4 star player on his roster. Rhule started with 10.

Now, let's take Steele's talent level and transfer that to today. Think Rhule wouldn't have gotten his ass blown out on a weekly basis? I certainly do.

The talent level allowed for some respectable losses.
D. C. Bear
Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Kevin Steele didn't have a single 4 star player on his roster. Rhule started with 10.

Now, let's take Steele's talent level and transfer that to today. Think Rhule wouldn't have gotten his ass blown out on a weekly basis? I certainly do.

That's right. And Rhule is responsible for a fair bit of that talent level, including a number of the upperclassmen.
Big guy
SMack said:

Now, we just need Dale S. to be named O C.
303Bear
bear2be2 said:

303Bear said:

robby44 said:

Quote:

Yea especially when you have guys who thinks that a d lineman being named MVP of a bowl game is no big deal. What that tells me is you have something to work with
Agree with this. The "roster was super depleted" line doesn't hold much water when looking at the totality of the season.

Liberty, UTSA and Duke - not really an excuse. The roster we have now is on par or better than the teams they field.

The roster was terrible, yet able to hang with OU, and play well at times against KSU and WV. The marked change in offensive play calling surely had nothing to do with that. Wither OU played about as bad as they are capable of doing so against us, or there is more to it than just talent.

Other than the O-Line, no one was seriously concerned about depth that I can remember. And talk of the roster being seriously depleted came about after the season stated.

Look, I hope Rhule turns it around next year, I really do, but this roster, with our schedule, is not the reason we will finish 1-11.

I don't know of anyone who has said the roster is terrible. It's just really young and inexperienced, and talent-poor in two key positions -- offensive line and safety. Add in an insane number of injuries and a poor start and you get what we got this season.

But all of this team's biggest issues are temporary, a fact routinely ignored by the doom and gloom crowd. The vast majority of the game-breaking mistakes we've seen this season can and will be fixed through recruiting and development, and wins will come quickly once they have.
I do not disagree, there were pivotal mistakes made in personnel, scheme and execution in several losses that, if corrected, make wins far more likely, even probable.

The issue I see is that a lot of the same coaching and personnel mistakes seemed to keep happening throughout the year, or at least until the coach's hands were forced due to other circumstance.

Rhule appears that he can recruit, however I am not sold on his ability to develop, as a lot of the same mistakes continued throughout the year.

I hope you are right, but I don't have a lot of faith in the process at this point.
MilliVanilli
bear2be2 said:

D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Yep, and several of those programs are currently poaching and having success with Texas recruits, making that a bogus argument. Nobody runs the exact same system in college they ran in high school, and for many it's drastically different. That's not a success-inhibitor. It's just a good case for redshirting your freshmen, a luxury we didn't have this year.
Yep, Notre Dame and Ohio State have thrived off Texas recruits for decades.
ATL Bear
D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

At a fundamental level, yes. But if it were just that, anyone could be in the NFL or play college for that matter. The type of competition makes a difference. I'm not talking a debate about where better HS football is played, as there are a number of states with GREAT HS talent and football, but the type of football played at the HS and college level, and the congruence of that on a regional level. As they say, you build your system around your talent, not your talent around your system. The latter is much more difficult, and I'm interested to see if Rhule can pull it off.
ATL Bear
MilliVanilli said:

bear2be2 said:

D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Notre Dame takes 3-4 kids from Texas, as they do Florida, Georgia, California, etc. and all the other states with the most talent. Ohio State is always majority Ohio, but like Notre Dame, they take a few kids each year from the other hot bed states listed above. Not sure we can compare to major Blue Bloods that are always in on the top talent from across the country. We have to live off of Texas (which is a good thing) mostly, but at the 2nd and 3rd tier of talent mostly.
ATL Bear
bear2be2 said:

D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

That's usually top national programs poaching the top talent. That's not Baylor's bread and butter, and never has been, although we were getting into that mix before "that which shall not be mentioned" happened.
Robert Wilson
ATL Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

That's usually top national programs poaching the top talent. That's not Baylor's bread and butter, and never has been, although we were getting into that mix before "that which shall not be mentioned" happened.
It was about to blow up.

And then it did.
MilliVanilli
ATL Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

bear2be2 said:

D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Notre Dame takes 3-4 kids from Texas, as they do Florida, Georgia, California, etc. and all the other states with the most talent. Ohio State is always majority Ohio, but like Notre Dame, they take a few kids each year from the other hot bed states listed above. Not sure we can compare to major Blue Bloods that are always in on the top talent from across the country. We have to live off of Texas (which is a good thing) mostly, but at the 2nd and 3rd tier of talent mostly.
There are 8 Texas kids on Notre Dame's present roster, and when they were blown out in the national title a few years ago they had 5 Texas players starting.

Mothra
D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

That's right. And Rhule is responsible for a fair bit of that talent level, including a number of the upperclassmen.

He picked up a top 40 class last year because he was able to piggyback off of our success and brand the last few years. Steele didn't have that luxury. And as I've said previously, there are countless examples of teams that have been able to recruit well but can't coach worth a damn. See UT the last 6 years.

The coaching this season left a lot to be desired. Hopefully Rhule had some on the job training and learned a lot.
Mothra
ATL Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

bear2be2 said:

D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Add to that the fact that Ohio state's offense is more in line with a Big 12 offense than Big 10, which is why they've pretty much dominated the conference since Meyer has been there
D. C. Bear
Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

He picked up a top 40 class last year because he was able to piggyback off of our success and brand the last few years. Steele didn't have that luxury. And as I've said previously, there are countless examples of teams that have been able to recruit well but can't coach worth a damn. See UT the last 6 years.

The coaching this season left a lot to be desired. Hopefully Rhule had some on the job training and learned a lot.

Yes, he was able to use the success of the past few years, but that alone is not enough to account for the good class we got or for the players who could have left (looking at you, Taylor Young) but decided to remain at Baylor and fight.

The coaching may not have left quite so much to be desired if they had just a few more players who were injured. These are not first time coaches with no track record. They know what they are doing.
ATL Bear
MilliVanilli said:

ATL Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

bear2be2 said:

D. C. Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

There are 8 Texas kids on Notre Dame's present roster, and when they were blown out in the national title a few years ago they had 5 Texas players starting.

Yes, across 4 different classes, meaning, as I said, a few kids each year (or less). Not to mention Notre Dame probably has the most diverse roster as far as states you could have, as California, Florida, Ohio, Illinois, and NY/NJ all have as many or more kids there than Texas. Again, we don't swim in that same lane as far as that type of recruiting.
Mothra
D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Yes, he was able to use the success of the past few years, but that alone is not enough to account for the good class we got or for the players who could have left (looking at you, Taylor Young) but decided to remain at Baylor and fight.

The coaching may not have left quite so much to be desired if they had just a few more players who were injured. These are not first time coaches with no track record. They know what they are doing.

I suspect Rhule is a better recruiter than Steele. The point is these things don't happen in a vacuum. Briles success alllwed for a solid recruiting class.

We will never know if the team would have performed markedly better if certain players hadn't been injured. What we do know is that when many of the current players were healthy, we were still getting beaten soundly by most teams we played. Having success at the AAC doesn't always translate to success on a bigger stage. There are countless examples of that as well.

Bottom line is you have a lot more faith in the coaching staff than I do. I need evidence on the field to tell me things are going to be different next year. I hope you are right, but don't think so.

Are you still sticking by 6 wins and a bowl next season as your prediction?
Sick Em
Does Rhule suffer from TBI?
bear2be2
Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

I suspect Rhule is a better recruiter than Steele. The point is these things don't happen in a vacuum. Briles success alllwed for a solid recruiting class.

We will never know if the team would have performed markedly better if certain players hadn't been injured. What we do know is that when many of the current players were healthy, we were still getting beaten soundly by most teams we played. Having success at the AAC doesn't always translate to success on a bigger stage. There are countless examples of that as well.

Bottom line is you have a lot more faith in the coaching staff than I do. I need evidence on the field to tell me things are going to be different next year. I hope you are right, but don't think so.

I know you were asking D.C. and not me, but I think six wins is very possible. If I were betting, I'd say we win between five and seven games and are competitive in most of our losses.
D. C. Bear
Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Barring a repeat of injuries, absolutely. We should be able to win our non conference and three more.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.