S11 said:

Mothra said:

I am having serious difficulty remembering any positive plays out of the pro style set. I remember getting stopped at the line quite often and often times losing yardage.

I have serious doubts BU will ever attract the kind of oline talent to be successful with a pro style offense. Time will tell.

1- The bad tend to be more memorable in any new tactic.
2- The goal isn't necessarily Stanford, it's Oregon with the ability to be Stanford in short yardage. They didn't exclusively live out of the I at temple. They ran the same kinds of plays from different sets and some games leaned very heavy on spread and others went big. Believe me, I watched WAYYYY too much Temple last offseason.
3- There was almost an entire series against WVU
The TD to Wainwright last week.
I want to say the TD to Feurbacher against KU was pro style. It's had some spots but I too wish to see less of it and more of the spread.

If the goal is to be Oregon, then let's be Oregon. In that case, Rhule needs to seriously up the tempo. Slowing down the spread makes it more predictable and easy to defend. Oregon was one of the quickest teams to the line of scrimmage. That was a huge part of their offensive success. I think Rhule seriously hinders this type of offense playing the TOP game.

I don't mind the pro style sets in short yardage, but he seems to run it a lot more often than mere short yardage situations. Hopefully he'll get a clue on that and stop attempting it in the future. I'd prefer not to be Stanford. They've had a lot of success in the PAC 12, but Stanford is not winning any nattys with that offense. Last team to run a pro style set and win a natty was Alabama back in 2013 and even they decided to adapt.

I suppose the problem for me and other fans is when you had the most unstoppable offense in football and decide to stray from it, it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. Gone is the nuclear weapon from our arsenal. Now we get to find out if BU can equal that unprecedented successs with a pedestrian offense by comparison and a strong defense - something it has never done.