Football
Sponsored by

"Baylor coach Matt Rhule channels his inner Butch Jones in bizarre press conference"

17,514 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mothra
MilliVanilli
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoldenBear007 said:

What was this thread about again?
Rhule bashing derailed by tangents that didn't fit the narrative.
bear2be2
GoldenBear007 said:

What was this thread about again?
Outrage over a quote that was never really said ... at least in the context in which it was presented.
D. C. Bear
MilliVanilli said:

D. C. Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

D. C. Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

"Trust the process" is the new "Internal improvements".

The scoreboard totals, the underlying statistics and the recruiting say they are nothing alike.
"We lose by respectable margins now!"

Go look at what Kevin Steele produced. It was qualitatively and quantitatively much, much worse than what we saw this year.

Kevin Steele didn't have a single 4 star player on his roster. Rhule started with 10.

Now, let's take Steele's talent level and transfer that to today. Think Rhule wouldn't have gotten his ass blown out on a weekly basis? I certainly do.

The talent level allowed for some respectable losses.

That's right. And Rhule is responsible for a fair bit of that talent level, including a number of the upperclassmen.

He picked up a top 40 class last year because he was able to piggyback off of our success and brand the last few years. Steele didn't have that luxury. And as I've said previously, there are countless examples of teams that have been able to recruit well but can't coach worth a damn. See UT the last 6 years.

The coaching this season left a lot to be desired. Hopefully Rhule had some on the job training and learned a lot.

Yes, he was able to use the success of the past few years, but that alone is not enough to account for the good class we got or for the players who could have left (looking at you, Taylor Young) but decided to remain at Baylor and fight.

The coaching may not have left quite so much to be desired if they had just a few more players who were injured. These are not first time coaches with no track record. They know what they are doing.
Nixon is not a first time OC/ play caller?
Didn't bother you in the Cotton Bowl embarrassment in 2014, why do you care now?

Quit dwelling in the past.
You weren't being addressed and clearly weren't informed enough to chime in so move along.

Do you ever wonder why you get banned?
Lulz, are you capable of existing without clutching your pearls and being a busybody?

Please show us where the post triggered you.

It's true I have occasionally offended the sensibilities of those ill-equipped to adult and have to run for protection because they can't take what they might dish out or parrot absolute lies as cabers do.

Do I care that you're offended? No, not one iota.

Not offended. Amused and mildly curious as to why you seem to lack the self awareness most others on here have. Somehow other posters, even those with pretty strong opinions, are able to make their way without earning a ban. It is interesting that you blame others for your unscheduled vacations from posting.
D. C. Bear
ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

The scoreboard totals, the underlying statistics and the recruiting say they are nothing alike.

Go look at what Kevin Steele produced. It was qualitatively and quantitatively much, much worse than what we saw this year.

Kevin Steele didn't have a single 4 star player on his roster. Rhule started with 10.

Now, let's take Steele's talent level and transfer that to today. Think Rhule wouldn't have gotten his ass blown out on a weekly basis? I certainly do.

That's right. And Rhule is responsible for a fair bit of that talent level, including a number of the upperclassmen.

He picked up a top 40 class last year because he was able to piggyback off of our success and brand the last few years. Steele didn't have that luxury. And as I've said previously, there are countless examples of teams that have been able to recruit well but can't coach worth a damn. See UT the last 6 years.

The coaching this season left a lot to be desired. Hopefully Rhule had some on the job training and learned a lot.

Yes, he was able to use the success of the past few years, but that alone is not enough to account for the good class we got or for the players who could have left (looking at you, Taylor Young) but decided to remain at Baylor and fight.

The coaching may not have left quite so much to be desired if they had just a few more players who were injured. These are not first time coaches with no track record. They know what they are doing.

Yes, he's a first time play caller. He's also an experienced coach. The staff has a lot of veteran coaches. They aren't idiots.
Do you think Charlie Strong is an idiot?

I think if he had a QB like Terry Bridgwater, he would still be coaching at UT.
MilliVanilli
D. C. Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

D. C. Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

D. C. Bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Didn't bother you in the Cotton Bowl embarrassment in 2014, why do you care now?

Quit dwelling in the past.
You weren't being addressed and clearly weren't informed enough to chime in so move along.

Do you ever wonder why you get banned?
Lulz, are you capable of existing without clutching your pearls and being a busybody?

Please show us where the post triggered you.

It's true I have occasionally offended the sensibilities of those ill-equipped to adult and have to run for protection because they can't take what they might dish out or parrot absolute lies as cabers do.

Do I care that you're offended? No, not one iota.

Not offended. Amused and mildly curious as to why you seem to lack the self awareness most others on here have. Somehow other posters, even those with pretty strong opinions, are able to make their way without earning a ban. It is interesting that you blame others for your unscheduled vacations from posting.
A cute way of saying obsessed and clutching your pearls.
Mothra
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

The idea that you think Nixon's resume qualified him for the job is remarkable. I see nothing in that resume to suggest he would be successful as an OC in the premiere offensive conference in the land because he spent a season as Kelly's RB coach. Sorry.

Unlike you, I simply can't blame the players for everything. Buck stops with the coaches.
Nixon has coached every offensive position but the line, has experience at the small college, Division I and NFL levels and has experience in a variety of schemes and under a variety of head coaches. The only thing lacking from his resume was play-calling experience, which is true of every first-year offensive coordinator. It was true of Matt Lubick until 2016 -- a season that got his head coach fired. Was he qualified?

If your stance is that we shouldn't have hired a first-year OC, then I can't really argue with that. But Nixon's resume is as good or better than most coaches at the time of their first coordinator jobs.

Play calling experience is a huge thing to be missing for a P5 offensive coordinator in the premier offensive conference in the land. It amazes me how flippant you are about it. To never have called plays at any level is a huge hole in an OC's resume. At least Lubick had spent several seasons as a co-offensive coordinator and passing game coordinator at Duke and Oregon before he got the call up years later. He showed his merit designing plays and assisting with calling plays and was a finalist for assistant coach of the year at Oregon.

Nixon on the other hand spent one season as Kelly's TE coach prior to being called up. You truly believe that experience, along with several position coaching positions, qualifies him to design an Oregon-like offense for our talent? Like I said, remarkable.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Remarkable is a very kind word.
Boatshoes
Mothra said:

To never have called plays at any level is a huge hole in an OC's resume.
You think?
LionBear
Mothra said:

TV55 said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

Steele would have beaten Liberty, he would have eeek'd out a win over UTSA....and he probably would have lost to KU by a field goal.

Gust,

There you go violating the terms of the free board again. In addition to "Steele", "Liberty" and "UTSA", you need to throw in one more from the additional phrase list.

May I suggest "sabotage"? You can also use the "BaylorFans Random Complaint Post Generator Tool". It's located just above the Emoticon selection list. Just a suggestion:

+ Jersey (the coach, not the shirt or the state)
+ Oklahoma (the drill, not the team or the state)
+ The head coach's annual salary
+ The length of the head coach's contract
+ BOR
+ CAB
+ Offensive scheme
+ Defensive scheme
+ Sabbotage
+ Fear of next year's scheduled opponents
+ Personal fear re: receiving/signing for Registered Mail
+ How to get unemployment benefits from the state, Feds or preferably both

Thanks.

Do you have this post saved and you just keep reposting it? I swear I either have deja vu or I've seen this same post like 5 or 6 times.

Yes. It's also a "feature" on the free board. It's also located to the upper right of the emoticon list. It saves retyping the same reminders to the same people who keep retyping the same stupid ****ing posts over here. Extremely helpful.
ColomboLQ
Mothra said:

TV55 said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

Steele would have beaten Liberty, he would have eeek'd out a win over UTSA....and he probably would have lost to KU by a field goal.

Gust,

There you go violating the terms of the free board again. In addition to "Steele", "Liberty" and "UTSA", you need to throw in one more from the additional phrase list.

May I suggest "sabotage"? You can also use the "BaylorFans Random Complaint Post Generator Tool". It's located just above the Emoticon selection list. Just a suggestion:

+ BOR
+ CAB
+ Offensive scheme
+ Defensive scheme
+ Sabbotage

Thanks.

Do you have this post saved and you just keep reposting it? I swear I either have deja vu or I've seen this same post like 5 or 6 times.
He's posted it several times. I think he thinks he's being funny but I'm not sure.
MilliVanilli
ColomboLQ said:

Mothra said:

TV55 said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

Gust,

+ BOR
+ CAB
+ Offensive scheme
+ Defensive scheme
+ Sabbotage

Thanks.

He's posted it several times. I think he thinks he's being funny but I'm not sure.
18 months into the same trite caber postings and you're bothered by one guy posting something a couple of times?
ColomboLQ
D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

Yes, he's a first time play caller. He's also an experienced coach. The staff has a lot of veteran coaches. They aren't idiots.

So you don't think he was a good coach, he just got lucky with Teddy Bridgwater? In my opinion, I actually think he is a good coach (and not an idiot), just a bad fit for UT. It's not a surprise to me at all that he's having so much success as USF, that area of the country, that culture fits him more and he fits there more. For the record, I think he would do well at UF but I don't see him getting that job.

I have similar feelings about Rhule as of this moment given what I've seen. I had really high hopes for the guy when he was first hired. I think he is a good coach, but just not a good fit here. I think he would experience much greater success much quicker at a school like Purdue, or Illinois or Pitt or something along those lines. Unless he changes how he fundamentally views football and success in football, he will continue to struggle here in Texas and in the Big 12.

Another poster in another thread, while defending Rhule, stated that he felt Rhule could get the job done if he made some staff/philosophical adjustments to the offense and he felt that Rhule would. I just don't think he will and this is why. The guy in every press conference seems to blame the poor play/poor results on anything but the coaching. That leads me to believe that the guy has zero interest in reevaluating their schemes on any level and just believe that once personnel catch up to what they want, the success will be immediate. I personally don't agree but I do hope I'm wrong. Charlie Strong and Gary Patterson didn't want to adjust but eventually they relented. It ended up being too late for Charlie but look at the success Patterson has had since then.

Again, I have nothing personal against Rhule, but unless he fundamentally changes his philosophy and approach to football as a coach (and I do not believe that he will), I do not believe he will succeed here. Like I said earlier, I really really hope I'm wrong and we win 6 games next year and go to a bowl and we are competing for conference titles in the next 3-4 years. I would love nothing more than to eat as much crow as anyone is willing to serve me. But as of this moment, today, I just don't see it.
D. C. Bear
ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

So you don't think he was a good coach, he just got lucky with Teddy Bridgwater? In my opinion, I actually think he is a good coach (and not an idiot), just a bad fit for UT. It's not a surprise to me at all that he's having so much success as USF, that area of the country, that culture fits him more and he fits there more. For the record, I think he would do well at UF but I don't see him getting that job.

I have similar feelings about Rhule as of this moment given what I've seen. I had really high hopes for the guy when he was first hired. I think he is a good coach, but just not a good fit here. I think he would experience much greater success much quicker at a school like Purdue, or Illinois or Pitt or something along those lines. Unless he changes how he fundamentally views football and success in football, he will continue to struggle here in Texas and in the Big 12.

Another poster in another thread, while defending Rhule, stated that he felt Rhule could get the job done if he made some staff/philosophical adjustments to the offense and he felt that Rhule would. I just don't think he will and this is why. The guy in every press conference seems to blame the poor play/poor results on anything but the coaching. That leads me to believe that the guy has zero interest in reevaluating their schemes on any level and just believe that once personnel catch up to what they want, the success will be immediate. I personally don't agree but I do hope I'm wrong. Charlie Strong and Gary Patterson didn't want to adjust but eventually they relented. It ended up being too late for Charlie but look at the success Patterson has had since then.

Again, I have nothing personal against Rhule, but unless he fundamentally changes his philosophy and approach to football as a coach (and I do not believe that he will), I do not believe he will succeed here. Like I said earlier, I really really hope I'm wrong and we win 6 games next year and go to a bowl and we are competing for conference titles in the next 3-4 years. I would love nothing more than to eat as much crow as anyone is willing to serve me. But as of this moment, today, I just don't see it.
No, I also think Strong is a good coach. I think he'd have had more success at UT if he had a really good quarterback.

Whether Rhule will be successful in the Big 12 is an open question. I think a "multiple" offense is worth a shot, and I also think he will adjust to do what is needed to win. Being able to do different things on offense allows you to minimize those things which don't work and maximize those which do.

At the end of the day, without a doubt, it comes down to whether you can score touchdowns on a higher percentage of your drives that your opponent can score on his.
PartyBear
ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

I'm pretty sure Rhoades is not going to let Rhule get him fired if it isn't already too late for that concern on his part . I think he mandates changes, whether that makes Rhule unhappy coaching here or not.
S11
Staff
RioRata said:

robby44 said:

EasyE said:

MilliVanilli said:

Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Statements like that add even more credence to my belief that he may unfortunately be more of a motivational speaker than a X's and O's football coach.

It's not like he's won before or anything...
You are so right. He's off to a fast start as HC in a P5 conference. After all, we did beat Kansas.

He did have back to back 10 win seasons before stepping into our now major rebuild.

His time at Temple is what gives me hope and allows for the possibility of forgetting the numerous blunders and sloppy play that have been the hallmark of his first season. But with respect to major rebuilds, let's not forget that tearing the place down was his idea. It didn't have to be that way.

True about his Temple tenure, he got off to a bad start there, too. He may have made it worse here, for sure, but also don't forget the previous team did have a regular season losing streak with multiple blowouts in a row. It was not a good season or a good sign of things to come for any new Coach and Staff.
He knew it was going to be very difficult the first year. Problem is, all of us didn't.
Many underestimated the roster depletion.

How was the defensive line depleted from the previous season? I don't think I heard one good thing about that unit all season. Pre-season we heard about the strides Ira Lewis made during the offseason, how Brian Nance had come back, and how KJ Smith was poised for a solid senior season. Tyrone Hunt had just come off of a bowl MVP performance and there was a natural expectation that Bravion Roy would take a step forward in his development from a true freshman to a more seasoned sophomore. This group should have been better than last year,but the results suggest otherwise, and it was not because their unit was depleted from the previous season.

The Roster wasn't "depleted" and I didn't hear anyone say preseaon that this was going to be a "major rebuild"
Didn't hear that until the first 2 catastrophic losses when it became evident that this staff had stepped into a situation that was over their heads

Whole lotta truth right here.

Whole lotta false here.

There was NO excuse for the first two games. None.

However that doesn't also mean that the roster wasn't depleted.

Most people's predictions were made prior to spring practice- back before four OL medically retired before the season even began. Back before Solomon got a concussion retirement, before Platt was gone, before KJ, before Johnston, etc.

If we had any remotely healthy version of the roster we expected in December then maybe I could buy some of the revisionist history line but I honestly haven't ever seen a team that had this many freak injuries. Not even his Temple teams did either.

Time will tell if Rhule can turn this around but let's at least be honest about the roster. Between December and now you've had 22 players either lost for the year, medically retire, or leave the team for one reason or another.
Among that is:

-Five of the eight "ready" OL
-One of the best Nickelbacks in the Big 12
-Three wideouts (not sure on Quan) including Platt who is arguably the fastest in the B12 and having two others miss time
-Two RBs while having the other four all miss a game or more.
- Starting and most experienced QB while the backup Smith missed multiple games.
- One TE for the year while the other two missed multiple games
- Three DL including two of the top three DEs for the year
-Top two LB's for the year
- Really good Punter/Kickoff guy

...and all of this is after BU essentially lost half the 2016 class which would have given some help backfilling this.

Additionally he was hired right before the JC signing date in Dec. barely any time to backfill that way.

It doesn't excuse the record or the earliest losses but to act like the roster is remotely resembling normal is simply willful ignorance.
Pale Rider
Finally a factual perspective. Thanks S11.
LionBear
ColomboLQ said:

Mothra said:

TV55 said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

Gust,

+ BOR
+ CAB
+ Offensive scheme
+ Defensive scheme
+ Sabbotage

Thanks.

See S11's excellent response (above) to you and others nonsense that somehow we had a well stocked roster this year. We didn't. The reason I keep posting the above "random complaint post generator tool" words is that you and others here are trapped in your own non-sensical version of self denial.

We didn't have a great roster to start the year.
That not so great roster took some MAJOR hits during the season.
Yeah, it sucks.
The kids and the staff have made "progress" this year despite those major headwinds.
Yeah, none of them (the kids turn the ball over too much and the coaches make questionable play calls) are perfect but "progress" has been made.

As S11 states (and I agree) there was no excuse for losing to Liberty and UTSA. Everyone over here on the free board (and even the premium board) agrees. No excuses. None. Nada. Nope.

But it happened and we can either wallow and keep trading the above array of really stupid words, excuses and/or conspiracy theories OR get on with the business of moving on and setting ourself up for success next year.

I hate even the idea of moral victories. There is no such thing. What I want to see is "is this staff doing the best they can with what they have and are they making progress week to week". I think the answer to this is "yes". Evidence? If we have a Top 35 recruiting class AFTER WHAT HAPPENED THIS YEAR, there is your evidence right there that people (in the real world / not on this board) believe that progress has been made and will be made next season.

robby44
ColomboLQ said:

Mothra said:

TV55 said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

Gust,

+ BOR
+ CAB
+ Offensive scheme
+ Defensive scheme
+ Sabbotage

Thanks.

He needs to add 1 win
to that list
Jacques Strap
D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

SicThe12 said:

D. C. Bear said:

SMack said:

I suspect Rhule is a better recruiter than Steele. The point is these things don't happen in a vacuum. Briles success alllwed for a solid recruiting class.

We will never know if the team would have performed markedly better if certain players hadn't been injured. What we do know is that when many of the current players were healthy, we were still getting beaten soundly by most teams we played. Having success at the AAC doesn't always translate to success on a bigger stage. There are countless examples of that as well.

Bottom line is you have a lot more faith in the coaching staff than I do. I need evidence on the field to tell me things are going to be different next year. I hope you are right, but don't think so.

Are you still sticking by 6 wins and a bowl next season as your prediction?

Barring a repeat of injuries, absolutely. We should be able to win our non conference and three more.
That is my hope to win 6 next year but I want to wait until preseason next year to make a prediction. See who signs, who enrolls, who transfers, etc.
D. C. Bear
TV55 said:

ColomboLQ said:

Mothra said:

TV55 said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

Gust,

+ BOR
+ CAB
+ Offensive scheme
+ Defensive scheme
+ Sabbotage

Thanks.

See S11's excellent response (above) to you and others nonsense that somehow we had a well stocked roster this year. We didn't. The reason I keep posting the above "random complaint post generator tool" words is that you and others here are trapped in your own non-sensical version of self denial.

Yeah, it sucks.
The kids and the staff have made "progress" this year despite those major headwinds.
Yeah, none of them (the kids turn the ball over too much and the coaches make questionable play calls) are perfect but "progress" has been made.

As S11 states (and I agree) there was no excuse for losing to Liberty and UTSA. Everyone over here on the free board (and even the premium board) agrees. No excuses. None. Nada. Nope.

But it happened and we can either wallow and keep trading the above array of really stupid words, excuses and/or conspiracy theories OR get on with the business of moving on and setting ourself up for success next year.

I hate even the idea of moral victories. There is no such thing. What I want to see is "is this staff doing the best they can with what they have and are they making progress week to week". I think the answer to this is "yes". Evidence? If we have a Top 35 recruiting class AFTER WHAT HAPPENED THIS YEAR, there is your evidence right there that people (in the real world / not on this board) believe that progress has been made and will be made next season.

That you keep posting your random complaint generator tool shows that you aren't interested in any real discussion and you like posting, in you own words, "really stupid words." You should consider a different rhetorical choice.
LionBear
Gust Avrakotos said:

Franklins said:

Once you start seeing these types of bizarre quotes it is a death knell. I'm not saying it's going to happen tomorrow, but nobody comes back from this combination of disastrous losses and desperate spin behavior. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying he's proud that they are still out there fighting but the Little League "we're all winners in my book" rhetoric is embarrassing.
This is exactly right. This is the beginning of a coach realizing that he was completely in over his head when he took the job and now it is basically trying to string it out as long as he can to keep the checks rolling in.

I told JC Wartsman this the other day.....Mack Rhodes made the hiring decision of Jersey without considering another coach. Jersey won the Baylor job during his interview at Mizzou.

We have an AD that cheated the entire university out of "The Process". Not that ridiculously stupid process that the board admin wants you to believe in. I'm talking about "the hiring process".

The great news here though is that if Jersey goes down.....so does Rhodes. He will never get another P5 job because Jersey will be around his neck like a lead anchor.

Gust,

Thanks for re-churning the words "Jersey", "Board", "Cheated", "Process". You are still a word short of hitting the "magic 5" words required over here on the Free Board.

May I suggest "Conspiracy", "Fear of Receiving/Signing for Registered Mail" or "Oklahoma Drill"?

Better luck next time and thanks for your continued hard hitting analysis here.
LionBear
D. C. Bear said:

TV55 said:

ColomboLQ said:

Mothra said:

TV55 said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

Gust,

+ BOR
+ CAB
+ Offensive scheme
+ Defensive scheme
+ Sabbotage

Thanks.

Yeah, it sucks.

That you keep posting your random complaint generator tool shows that you aren't interested in any real discussion and you like posting, in you own words, "really stupid words." You should consider a different rhetorical choice.

Discussion? There is no actual discussion on the free board. Just bleating of some mix of the same 10-12 stupid words/phrases/excuses/conspiracy theories. Discussion? LOL. Perhaps YOU should consider a different rhetorical choice?
Mothra
S11 said:

RioRata said:

robby44 said:

EasyE said:

MilliVanilli said:

Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Statements like that add even more credence to my belief that he may unfortunately be more of a motivational speaker than a X's and O's football coach.

You are so right. He's off to a fast start as HC in a P5 conference. After all, we did beat Kansas.

He did have back to back 10 win seasons before stepping into our now major rebuild.

His time at Temple is what gives me hope and allows for the possibility of forgetting the numerous blunders and sloppy play that have been the hallmark of his first season. But with respect to major rebuilds, let's not forget that tearing the place down was his idea. It didn't have to be that way.

True about his Temple tenure, he got off to a bad start there, too. He may have made it worse here, for sure, but also don't forget the previous team did have a regular season losing streak with multiple blowouts in a row. It was not a good season or a good sign of things to come for any new Coach and Staff.
He knew it was going to be very difficult the first year. Problem is, all of us didn't.

How was the defensive line depleted from the previous season? I don't think I heard one good thing about that unit all season. Pre-season we heard about the strides Ira Lewis made during the offseason, how Brian Nance had come back, and how KJ Smith was poised for a solid senior season. Tyrone Hunt had just come off of a bowl MVP performance and there was a natural expectation that Bravion Roy would take a step forward in his development from a true freshman to a more seasoned sophomore. This group should have been better than last year,but the results suggest otherwise, and it was not because their unit was depleted from the previous season.

The Roster wasn't "depleted" and I didn't hear anyone say preseaon that this was going to be a "major rebuild"
Didn't hear that until the first 2 catastrophic losses when it became evident that this staff had stepped into a situation that was over their heads

Whole lotta false here.

Most people's predictions were made prior to spring practice- back before four OL medically retired before the season even began. Back before Solomon got a concussion retirement, before Platt was gone, before KJ, before Johnston, etc.

If we had any remotely healthy version of the roster we expected in December then maybe I could buy some of the revisionist history line but I honestly haven't ever seen a team that had this many freak injuries. Not even his Temple teams did either.

Time will tell if Rhule can turn this around but let's at least be honest about the roster. Between December and now you've had 22 players either lost for the year, medically retire, or leave the team for one reason or another.
Among that is:

-Three wideouts (not sure on Quan) including Platt who is arguably the fastest in the B12 and having two others miss time
- Starting and most experienced QB while the backup Smith missed multiple games.

...and all of this is after BU essentially lost half the 2016 class which would have given some help backfilling this.

Additionally he was hired right before the JC signing date in Dec. barely any time to backfill that way.

It doesn't excuse the record or the earliest losses but to act like the roster is remotely resembling normal is simply willful ignorance.

I think this is a pretty reasonable post. Undoubtedly we were snake bit this year from an injury perspective. Now, there is a question in my mind regarding how the tough physical practices contributed to the wearing down of bodies which in turn contributed to injuries, but undoubtedly many of those injuries contributed to our predicament. I think those things are excusable.

However, there were also a lot of coaching mistakes made along the way - the QB carousel and lack of direction on offense being a major problem. That's not even to mention the unprepared and poorly conditioned players at the beginning of the season.

Next year - when these excuses are not present and we have a number of sidelined talent back on the depth chart - will be key to understanding if this was truly all on talent or if we have a coaching problem. I suspect it's both, but there will be no excuses next year. Btw who was the other DE lost for the year.
hodedofome
S11 said:

RioRata said:

robby44 said:

EasyE said:

MilliVanilli said:

Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Whole lotta false here.

Among that is:

Yet even with a depleted roster by the end of the season (depleted by the staff through outdated practices btw), we were competitive in a few games when we called plays and had tempo like the Briles days. We had enough talent, even after injuries, to win a few more if we had a coaching staff that wanted to make the necessary adjustments to win this year.
S11
Staff
Mothra said:

S11 said:

RioRata said:

robby44 said:

EasyE said:

MilliVanilli said:

Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Whole lotta false here.

Among that is:

I think this is a pretty reasonable post. Undoubtedly we were snake bit this year from an injury perspective. Now, there is a question in my mind regarding how the tough physical practices contributed to the wearing down of bodies which in turn contributed to injuries, but undoubtedly many of those injuries contributed to our predicament. I think those things are excusable.

However, there were also a lot of coaching mistakes made along the way - the QB carousel and lack of direction on offense being a major problem. That's not even to mention the unprepared and poorly conditioned players at the beginning of the season.

Next year - when these excuses are not present and we have a number of sidelined talent back on the depth chart - will be key to understanding if this was truly all on talent or if we have a coaching problem. I suspect it's both, but there will be no excuses next year. Btw who was the other DE lost for the year.

Two DEs were KJ and X Jones.
S11
Staff
hodedofome said:

S11 said:

RioRata said:

robby44 said:

EasyE said:

MilliVanilli said:

Pale Rider said:

Bear8084 said:

Mothra said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Bear8084 said:

RealLarryDon said:

Whole lotta false here.

Among that is:

Yet even with a depleted roster by the end of the season (depleted by the staff through outdated practices btw),

So repeated concussions & knee injuries in prior seasons causing four OL to retire are the fault of practice style? Come on bud. It can impact some injuries but it being to blame for more than a distinct minority of this is something I can't readily agree with. It didn't cause TY, Johnston, Platt, Holmes, Sneed, Solomon, Smith, or the medical retirements to my knowledge.

Quote:

we were competitive in a few games when we called plays and had tempo like the Briles days. We had enough talent, even after injuries, to win a few more if we had a coaching staff that wanted to make the necessary adjustments to win this year.

I think they've made some adjustments but some worked and some didn't. Tempo alone doesn't make it work- having a mauling OL and game breaking wideouts played an equally if not bigger role. I would prefer they stay spread more until the OL and TEs develop enough but some of what they call from that set has worked at times.

Right now they have only one side of the line the opponent respects in the run game and have to find ways to counter tactics that cheat that side. They also have to find things they can get a true FR QB to execute with a WR & RB corps and TE lineup that has constantly been shuffling due to injury.

The staff figured their best odds were with the series of plays in that set. I don't know that I completely agree with them but it isn't as simple of a fix as get spread and go tempo although situationally I do think it can help. Sometimes I agree with the thought and others I am yelling with the rest of y'all. Such is life not calling the plays when it isn't rolling well.

I do think if your offense is working well tempo is a huge asset but I also get the idea that trusting them to consistently produce isn't a safe bet right now and trotting a young and injury thin defense out there for an additional 3 or 5 drives to bet on the offense to make up for any issues isn't a bet I would savor and can easily turn winnable games into blowouts potentially.
Mothra
I am having serious difficulty remembering any positive plays out of the pro style set. I remember getting stopped at the line quite often and often times losing yardage.

I have serious doubts BU will ever attract the kind of oline talent to be successful with a pro style offense. Time will tell.
SicThe12
Mothra said:

I am having serious difficulty remembering any positive plays out of the pro style set. I remember getting stopped at the line quite often and often times losing yardage.

I have serious doubts BU will ever attract the kind of oline talent to be successful with a pro style offense. Time will tell.
Rhules going to own the mid-west in recruiting. Take all the 6'6 320 cheese eaters out of Wisconsin. We'll be fine.
Mothra
SicThe12 said:

Mothra said:

Rhules going to own the mid-west in recruiting. Take all the 6'6 320 cheese eaters out of Wisconsin. We'll be fine.

Lol. Ok.

Seriously though, if we do get those cheese eaters, not sure they're going to have the athletic ability to run the Oregon offense. There's a saying that a jack of all trades is a master of none that probably applies here.
S11
Staff
Mothra said:

1- The bad tend to be more memorable in any new tactic.
2- The goal isn't necessarily Stanford, it's Oregon with the ability to be Stanford in short yardage. They didn't exclusively live out of the I at temple. They ran the same kinds of plays from different sets and some games leaned very heavy on spread and others went big. Believe me, I watched WAYYYY too much Temple last offseason.
3- There was almost an entire series against WVU
The TD to Wainwright last week.
I want to say the TD to Feurbacher against KU was pro style. It's had some spots but I too wish to see less of it and more of the spread.
TD.Baylor12
Let me ask this questions since there seems to be a consensus that Rhule has a much worse roster than Briles did when he began.

For the most part, many believe that Rhule should at a minimum win 6 games and go to a bowl. If he has a much worse roster, why are we expecting him to get to a bowl game faster than Briles?

Please don't use RG3 being injured his second year as an excuse. That would imply that Briles had as good of talent to make it to a bowl game if not for one injury.

I'm only asking this question as part of the debate and when you have a situation like we are currently in you tend to draw comparisons. I'm not saying that I think we should bring back Briles, that is just ridiculous. I am just asking based on what many on here believe.
ColomboLQ
TV55 said:

ColomboLQ said:

Mothra said:

TV55 said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

Gust,

+ BOR
+ CAB
+ Offensive scheme
+ Defensive scheme
+ Sabbotage

Thanks.

Yeah, it sucks.

Not one person has ever stated we had a "well stocked roster" this year. For some reason, if anyone makes a mention about Rhule having more talent than a 1 win team, the people that defend Rhule seem to think that the person is saying that Rhule should have won 10+ games, which is nonsensical. There is not one person that has argued that.

Yes, we;ve had injury issues, yes we've had depth issues, everyone knows that. This team still should have won more than 1 game. Yes, I know all of you guys say there are no excuses for Liberty and UTSA, everyone agrees with this. You guys all see improvement from those 2 games, and I think if everyone is honest with themselves, they would agree. Here is where the fundamental difference and issue is to me. The baseline comparison starts with a horribly coached effort where the defense was out of position 40+ (!!!) times and the team was not focused and ready to play. Of course the team was going to improve. What happened in those first two games goes beyond bad and quite frankly, I don't see how the team could play worse.

But the reality is that even though this team improved, it's still a really bad team. This is the point where you and others bring up the talent/injury/depth issue out most often, but let me explain where I'm coming from. The offense play calling is extremely predictable and incredibly easy to defend. The offense itself does this team no favors in terms of putting them in a place to where they are most likely to be successful (see goaline play against ISU as a prime example). We constantly have to take timeouts because players and/or coaches don't know how to get a play in on time or don't know what personnel should be in the game. The team still finds themselves out of position on plays and we are at the end of the season. The corners play way off receivers and we have a safety that plays 30 yards away from the line of scrimmage for whatever reason. These are all coaching issues, not talent issues. Sure, the team is not the horrible disaster it was to start the year, but they are still not being placed in positions to have success, regardless of talent level. I really hope that changes.
ColomboLQ
TD.Baylor12 said:

Let me ask this questions since there seems to be a consensus that Rhule has a much worse roster than Briles did when he began.

For the most part, many believe that Rhule should at a minimum win 6 games and go to a bowl. If he has a much worse roster, why are we expecting him to get to a bowl game faster than Briles?

Please don't use RG3 being injured his second year as an excuse. That would imply that Briles had as good of talent to make it to a bowl game if not for one injury.

I'm only asking this question as part of the debate and when you have a situation like we are currently in you tend to draw comparisons. I'm not saying that I think we should bring back Briles, that is just ridiculous. I am just asking based on what many on here believe.
I can promise you that there is NOT a consensus about that. And I don't think most people believe Rhule should have won a minimum of 6 games and go to a bowl. But I do think most people believe that given the current roster, that COULD have been possible.
S11
Staff
If Baylor had a healthy version of the December projected roster 6+ would be possible if not reasonable.

10-20 players less than that and five gone from the OL? Not so much.
hodedofome
S11 said:

hodedofome said:

Yet even with a depleted roster by the end of the season (depleted by the staff through outdated practices btw),

So repeated concussions & knee injuries in prior seasons causing four OL to retire are the fault of practice style? Come on bud. It can impact some injuries but it being to blame for more than a distinct minority of this is something I can't readily agree with. It didn't cause TY, Johnston, Platt, Holmes, Sneed, Solomon, Smith, or the medical retirements to my knowledge.

Quote:

we were competitive in a few games when we called plays and had tempo like the Briles days. We had enough talent, even after injuries, to win a few more if we had a coaching staff that wanted to make the necessary adjustments to win this year.

I think they've made some adjustments but some worked and some didn't. Tempo alone doesn't make it work- having a mauling OL and game breaking wideouts played an equally if not bigger role. I would prefer they stay spread more until the OL and TEs develop enough but some of what they call from that set has worked at times.

Right now they have only one side of the line the opponent respects in the run game and have to find ways to counter tactics that cheat that side. They also have to find things they can get a true FR QB to execute with a WR & RB corps and TE lineup that has constantly been shuffling due to injury.

The staff figured their best odds were with the series of plays in that set. I don't know that I completely agree with them but it isn't as simple of a fix as get spread and go tempo although situationally I do think it can help. Sometimes I agree with the thought and others I am yelling with the rest of y'all. Such is life not calling the plays when it isn't rolling well.

I do think if your offense is working well tempo is a huge asset but I also get the idea that trusting them to consistently produce isn't a safe bet right now and trotting a young and injury thin defense out there for an additional 3 or 5 drives to bet on the offense to make up for any issues isn't a bet I would savor and can easily turn winnable games into blowouts potentially.
There is no way for us to know this but is it not possible that an overly physical practice schedule can help aggravate an injury during a game?

Did the players medically retire during the off-season because they were going to do it anyway? Or did they see how the program was going to be run and decide their bodies weren't worth it?

I'm not trying to troll and I'm not the guy saying CAB was great and Rhule was going to be horrible. I really had hopes for Rhule this year but seeing the results (not just the losses, but the injuries his process may have caused) has made me question my initial enthusiasm.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.