Football
Sponsored by

Around the Big 12

39,377 Views | 223 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BiPolarBear
BiPolarBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mitch Henessey said:

Very odd that KU's stadium is called David Booth Memorial when David Booth is very much alive.
He's gotta look to the future
BiPolarBear
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/texas-tech-running-back-set-for-return-this-season-arrested-on-theft-charge/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Texas Tech running back set for return this season arrested on theft charge

Da'Leon Ward was Texas Tech's leading rusher in 2016

Texas Tech running back Da'Leon Ward, a 5-foot-10, 180-pound sophomore from Dallas, was booked into

Lubbock County Jail at 2:35 p.m. CT Tuesday according to the Lubbock County Sheriff's Office. The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal reported that Ward is facing a serious charge.

According to the Avalanche-Journal in a follow-up, the theft charge stems from a November incident involving cell phones. A sealed indictment followed earlier this summer.

Ward is expected to be a key piece of coach Kliff Kingsbury's squad in 2018. He led the Red Raiders in rushing as a freshman in 2016 with 428 yards and three touchdowns, despite not logging a carry until the sixth game of the season. He sat out the 2017 season and took a redshirt to rehab a leg injury and focus on academics, but was expected to be one of the feature backs heading into a critical year for Kingsbury. The sixth-year coach of the Red Raiders was excited about the progress Ward made during his time off when fall camp kicked off.

"It's night and day from where it was," Kingsbury told the Avalanche-Journal earlier this month. "So we're hoping that he will carry that into the fall, because he loves football, great work ethic, never misses a rep. It's just maturity and focus off the field is the area he had to work on. We feel like he's made some real strides."

With Ward's status in doubt, Tre King will likely take most of the reps as the No. 1 running back for the Red Raiders. King rushed for 623 yards and five touchdowns as a junior last season.

BiPolarBear
BiPolarBear said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/texas-tech-running-back-set-for-return-this-season-arrested-on-theft-charge/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Da'Leon Ward was Texas Tech's leading rusher in 2016

Texas Tech running back Da'Leon Ward, a 5-foot-10, 180-pound sophomore from Dallas, was booked into

Lubbock County Jail at 2:35 p.m. CT Tuesday according to the Lubbock County Sheriff's Office. The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal reported that Ward is facing a serious charge.

According to the Avalanche-Journal in a follow-up, the theft charge stems from a November incident involving cell phones. A sealed indictment followed earlier this summer.

Ward is expected to be a key piece of coach Kliff Kingsbury's squad in 2018. He led the Red Raiders in rushing as a freshman in 2016 with 428 yards and three touchdowns, despite not logging a carry until the sixth game of the season. He sat out the 2017 season and took a redshirt to rehab a leg injury and focus on academics, but was expected to be one of the feature backs heading into a critical year for Kingsbury. The sixth-year coach of the Red Raiders was excited about the progress Ward made during his time off when fall camp kicked off.

"It's night and day from where it was," Kingsbury told the Avalanche-Journal earlier this month. "So we're hoping that he will carry that into the fall, because he loves football, great work ethic, never misses a rep. It's just maturity and focus off the field is the area he had to work on. We feel like he's made some real strides."

With Ward's status in doubt, Tre King will likely take most of the reps as the No. 1 running back for the Red Raiders. King rushed for 623 yards and five touchdowns as a junior last season.

http://www.lubbockonline.com/news/20180822/theft-case-against-texas-tech-player-daleon-ward-dismissed

Theft case against Texas Tech player Da'Leon Ward dismissed

Lubbock County District Attorney Matt Powell on Wednesday morning dismissed a felony theft case against Texas Tech running back Da'Leon Ward.

Powell said he made the decision after learning about Ward's arrest Tuesday evening.

"There was not sufficient evidence in my opinion that a Lubbock County jury could find him guilty of this crime beyond a reasonable doubt," he said.

A Lubbock County grand jury in June returned an indictment against Ward, charging him with a state jail felony count of theft between $2,500 to $30,000.

Ward was not arrested before the case was presented to grand jurors but a warrant for his arrest was issued soon after the indictment was returned. The Lubbock County Sheriff's Office arrested him Tuesday afternoon.

"I'm sorry the young man got arrested," said Powell. "He should have never been arrested, the case should have never been filed."

The indictment stemmed from a November Texas Tech Police investigation into stolen cell phones at the Tech Student Recreation Center.

Powell said there may have been other people involved but there was insufficient evidence at this point to file charges on anyone.
pegging1234
Sounds like Lubbock PD is on par intelligence-wise with the local population on the Ward thing.

Russell Gym
Cmon, now. What's wrong with a little good ole boy dismissal for a star player? What's this world coming to?
BiPolarBear
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/texaslonghorns/2018/08/23/texas-wr-davion-curtis-totransfer-longhorns

Texas WR Davion Curtis to transfer from the Longhorns

By Trenton Daeschner,

Yet another player is transferring from the Texas Longhorns.

On Thursday, Texas announced that redshirt sophomore wide receiver Davion Curtis will officially transfer from the school. Curtis plans to enroll at Tyler Junior College to continue his football career.

"After a lot of thought and prayer and talking things through with my family, I've made the decision to transfer from the University of Texas," Curtis said in a statement. "It was a very tough decision because of how much this team means to me, but getting a new start is something I felt like I needed to do for my future. I love my teammates like my brothers, have made a lot of memories with them and I'm always going to be pulling for them.

"I want to thank Coach Herman, Coach Mehringer, Coach Meekins and all of the staff for coaching me and helping me grow as a person. I also want to thank Coach Strong and Coach Traylor for giving me the opportunity to come to Texas. My path is leading me in a different direction, but I'll always be a Longhorn."

While at Texas, Curtis redshirted his freshman year in 2016 and played in just one game last season.
The Longhorns have had a crowded wide receiver room since Curtis, a Temple, Texas, native, stepped onto the 40 Acres, and it's clear he struggled to earn playing time.

Curtis joins defensive backs John Bonney and Eric Cuffee as players who have transferred from the Longhorns during preseason camp.
BiPolarBear
https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article217190400.html

K-State defensive end arrested for unpaid parking tickets in Manhattan

BY KELLIS ROBINETT

August 23, 2018 10:45 AM

Bronson Massie, a sophomore defensive end with the Kansas State football team, was arrested on four counts of failure to appear early Thursday morning in Manhattan.

Riley County Police arrested Massie at 12:15 a.m. in the 1800 block of College Avenue. He was not confined after paying his bond of $272.50.

Police responded to a warrant issued for Massie by Manhattan Municipal Court for unpaid parking tickets, according to RCPD spokesperson Hali Rowland.

All the parking issues do not appear to warrant any kind of suspension or anything like that for Massie though a spokesperson for the program said the team is aware of the arrest and, most notably, "will handle the matter internally." We're not sure what Bill Snyder thinks is appropriate punishment for unpaid parking tickets but probably safe to assume that the defensive end will need to get some extra conditioning work in at some point in the near future.

Massie is expected to help provide a pass rush for the Wildcats this season. As a freshman, he made 10 tackles and deflected a pass while playing in nine games. He made one start against Iowa State.
BiPolarBear
https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-football/unnamed-ohio-state-assistant-at-strip-club-with-zach-smith-tom-herman/

Unnamed Ohio State assistant at strip club with Zach Smith? Tom Herman

COLUMBUS Ohio State's independent investigation revealed a potential NCAA violation for a recruiting visit that included a strip club visit for former assistant Zach Smith and a high school coach.

Multiple sources with direct knowledge have confirmed to Lettermen Row that the unnamed Ohio State assistant with Smith was the program's former offensive coordinator and current Texas coach Tom Herman.

"In May 2014, in connection with an out-of-town recruiting trip to Florida, Zach Smith ran up a significant bill at a local strip club along with another OSU football coach and one or more high school coaches," according to the findings publicly released on Wednesday by the university. "We have provided the information obtained by the Independent Investigation of this incident to the Office of University Compliance and Integrity and the Athletic Compliance Office to investigate whether this conduct violated the NCAA legislation."

It's unclear what exactly might have triggered a possible violation of NCAA rules by the former staffers with the Buckeyes or how it could potentially impact Herman. An Ohio State school spokesman was unaware of any details beyond what was included in the six-person, independent panel looking into Smith's past as part of the investigation into Urban Meyer. Ultimately those results produced a three-game suspension for Meyer, who once teamed up with Herman for some tremendous offensive success on the way to the national championship in 2014.

Smith and Herman worked together on that coaching staff, and an Instagram post from the former wide receivers lines up with the dates and details mentioned in the Ohio State report. Herman did not respond to a request for comment from Lettermen Row on Thursday.
BiPolarBear
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/texaslonghorns/2018/08/23/texas-dl-flower-mound-nativeandrew-fitzgerald-will-no-longerplay-football-longhorns

Texas DL will no longer play football for Longhorns

Texas announced Thursday night that sophomore defensive lineman Andrew Fitzgerald has given up playing football for the Longhorns. Fitzgerald, a Flower Mound, Texas, native and former third-team 6A all-state player for Marcus High School, will still remain a student at UT.

"My chapter here as a part of the UT football program has come to a close. It was an experience I will remember forever," Fitzgerald said in a statement. "I am so grateful for all the blessings and opportunities the Lord has given me to grow and learn from while I've been here. My family has been with me and encouraged me along this journey. I want to thank all the staff who are a part of this program for all they have done for me spiritually, academically and athletically

"I want to thank Coach (Charlie) Strong for giving me the opportunity to play and go to school at one of the best universities there is, and also Coach (Tom) Herman and Coach (Oscar) Giles for teaching me things I will carry with me the rest of my life, whether it's on the field or off. To my teammates who I worked day in and day out with, I wish y'all the best this season and have nothing but good memories and love for y'all."

Fitzgerald redshirted his freshman year at Texas in 2016 and did not play in a game last season.
This is the Longhorns' fourth player departure during the preseason. Redshirt sophomore wide receiver Davion Curtis announced Thursday afternoon that he will transfer from the program and head to Tyler Junior College. Last week, senior defensive back John Bonney transferred to Texas Tech and third-year defensive back Eric Cuffee departed for Trinity Valley Community College. Linebacker Edwin Freeman also left the program in June as a graduate transfer and went to Florida International.
BiPolarBear
https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/osu-football-wide-receiver-patrick-mckaufman-to-miss-season-with/article_7939eba9-c3d1-556c-beab-0e79e670b55f.html

OK State Wide receiver Patrick McKaufman to miss 2018 season with ACL injury[url=https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/columnists/thepicker/play-the-out-pick-the-picker-contest-to-win-a/article_8887ad65-c782-5166-8451-9a9c6424405e.html#tncms-source=article-nav-prev][/url]

Oklahoma State wide receiver Patrick McKaufman will miss the 2018 season with an ACL injury that will require surgery.

McKaufman posted on Instagram Thursday that he will undergo surgery as soon as possible to begin a six-month rehab process.

A sophomore from Oklahoma City, the 6-foot-6 receiver was expected to back up Tyron Johnson and Tylan Wallace at outside receiver.
He redshirted the 2017 season after transferring from Northeastern Oklahoma A&M. McKaufman was a quarterback at Oklahoma City Douglass.
BiPolarBear
http://www.kimt.com/content/news/ISU-football-suspends-four-freshman-491664201.html

ISU FOOTBALL SUSPENDS FOUR FRESHMAN

AMES, Iowa (AP) Iowa State coach Matt Campbell suspended four freshmen indefinitely Friday for what he described as "multiple incidents of poor choices and behavior."

Newcomers Tayvonn Kyle, Jaeveyon Morton, Joseph Scates and Dallas Taylor-Cortez won't be involved in team activities or have access to Iowa State's athletic facilities during their suspensions, which Campbell said were based a pattern of conduct rather than a single incident. All four will have access to the program's academic facilities.

Campbell said that the Cyclones "have worked diligently to develop a culture of accountability in our program" and the freshmen failed to live up to those expectations. None is expected to play a key role on the team this season.

Iowa State opens the season at home against South Dakota State on Sept. 1.
BiPolarBear
https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2018/08/95669/ohio-state-announces-addition-of-west-virginia-graduate-transfer-quarterback-chris-chugunov

OHIO STATE ANNOUNCES ADDITION OF WEST VIRGINIA GRADUATE TRANSFER QUARTERBACK CHRIS CHUGUNOV

It's now official former West Virginia quarterback Chris Chugunov has joined the Ohio State football team as a graduate transfer.

The news was first reported by Allan Taylor of The Dominion Post earlier this month, but an Ohio State spokesman confirmed on Saturday afternoon that Chugunov is joining the program.

Chugunov will be eligible immediately and has two years of eligibility remaining as he pursues a master's degree in hospitality management after earning his bachelor's degree in finance from WVU.

Chugunov appeared in five games for the Mountaineers last season, starting the final two games of the year, completing 43 of 90 passing attempts for 536 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions.

He announced his intention to transfer from West Virginia in March, and West Virginia head coach Dana Holgorsen said this spring that Chugunov was on track to graduate in May.

Chugunov will add much-needed depth to the quarterback position as the Buckeyes had only three scholarship quarterbacks, only one of which has ever appeared in a game.

An Ohio State spokesman was not able to confirm whether or not Chugunov will be on scholarship this season, but the Buckeyes are currently at the 85-scholarship limit.

BiPolarBear
https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state/Article/Iowa-State-Football-Kamilo-Tongamoa-suspended-for-Iowa-States-season-opener-vs-South-Dakota-State-121084099/

Tongamoa suspended for Iowa State's season-opener

The most notable omission from Iowa State's depth chart release Monday was senior defensive tackle [url=https://247sports.com/Player/Kamilo-Tongamoa-81648][/url]Kamilo Tongamoa, who was on the program's mid-summer release and is entering his final season.

An Iowa State spokesperson said shortly after the release that Tongamoa has been suspended for Iowa State's season-opener Saturday against South Dakota State stemming from his arrest and OWI charge in January.

Tongamoa's suspension is one game, meaning he could play Sept. 8 against Iowa.

Tongamoa arrived at Iowa State in the 2017 recruiting class as the No. 29 overall JUCO in the country, including the fourth-best junior college defensive tackle. His junior season was primarily used for development and Tongamoa appeared in only four games, recording one tackle. Iowa State has worked through fall camp to get Tongamoa ready to make an impact during his final season.
BiPolarBear
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article217389130.html

KU offensive lineman arrested on suspicion of DUI in Lawrence

LAWRENCE

Kansas offensive lineman Malik Clark was arrested early Sunday morning by Lawrence police on suspicion of driving under the influence/drugs (first conviction), according to logs from the Douglas County Sheriff's Department.

Clark, a redshirt sophomore who has not yet played in a game for KU, was released on bond, the log stated.

When contacted by The Star on Monday, the KU football program said, "We are aware of the situation and are currently in the process of gathering more details."
BiPolarBear
http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/cyclones-safety-de-monte-ruth-suspended/article_1252adf6-ad23-11e8-b901-2f36939ed685.html

Cyclones' safety De'Monte Ruth suspended

Another Cyclone will miss Saturday's game against South Dakota State due to a suspension.

Iowa State football announced in a press release Friday morning that senior safety De'Monte Ruth, who was projected to play the starting role at the 'star' position on defense, was suspended for one game due to a traffic stop and arrest for driving with a suspended license. The stop and arrest occurred Thursday evening, according to an Iowa State spokesperson.

Head coach Matt Campbell said in the press release that, "De'Monte was stopped for a traffic violation and arrested for driving with a suspended license early Thursday evening. We have a higher standard of excellence in our program and we ask our players to put the team before their actions.
"
With Ruth out, the likely starter for Saturday's game is redshirt freshman Richard Bowens III, who moved up the depth chart during the offseason.
NoBSU
BiPolarBear said:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article217389130.html

KU offensive lineman arrested on suspicion of DUI in Lawrence

LAWRENCE

Kansas offensive lineman Malik Clark was arrested early Sunday morning by Lawrence police on suspicion of driving under the influence/drugs (first conviction), according to logs from the Douglas County Sheriff's Department.

Clark, a redshirt sophomore who has not yet played in a game for KU, was released on bond, the log stated.

When contacted by The Star on Monday, the KU football program said, "We are aware of the situation and are currently in the process of gathering more details."
Unless he clipped the side panel of a $90,000 sports car belonging to one of the KU basketball players, then he should be back to playing soon.
BiPolarBear
https://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/winners_losers_from_thursday_night_39s_college_football_action/s1_12680_27148589?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

[url=https://sportsnaut.com/2018/08/winners-losers-from-thursday-nights-college-football-action/][/url]Winners, losers from Thursday night's college football action

Loser: Taylor Cornelius, quarterback, Oklahoma State University

While taking over for a great quarterback can be difficult, the task is usually supposed to be easier when facing an inferior opponent. Instead, Cornelius showed everything that the Cowboys will miss this season following the loss of Mason Rudolph.

In his first start, Cornelius was frustratingly inconsistent against Missouri State. The senior quarterback showed plenty of flashes with five touchdowns, but he essentially eliminated any threat of a deep passing attack and threw an interception in the red zone. Repeatedly he either overthrew or underthrew his receivers on shots down the field.

If the Cowboys want to have any shot in the conference this season, Cornelius needs to step up and be far more consistent than he was in the opener. The defenses he will face are only going to get tougher from here, and after years of an explosive offense, this team could be held back by Cornelius issues with the deep ball.
BiPolarBear
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article217719530.html

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO THINK ONLY BAYLOR PUNISHES FOR BAD BEHAVIOR.

Gary Patterson talks 'disciplinary reasons,

TCU had four players unavailable for the opener for what athletics director Jeremiah Donati explained as "disciplinary reasons."

Defensive linemen Ross Blacklock, Joseph Broadnax and L.J. Collier, as well as offensive lineman Chris Gaynor, were held out.

Blacklock is out for the season with an Achilles injury, but coach Gary Patterson sounded optimistic about getting those players back this week.

"We'll get a couple of those defensive linemen back for this ballgame," Patterson said. "Everybody has to learn. Gaynor will be back at center this week, that was also from a NCAA situation.

"Everybody's got to learn. Everybody's gotta pay a price. Hopefully you don't put everybody in harm's way."

Broadnax, Collier and Gaynor bolster the Frogs' depth and are expected to be significant contributors this season.
YoakDaddy
Since ShaggyTexas is no more, check out SurlyHorns.con for the latest on the Fire Tom Herman thread....meltdown!
JXL
YoakDaddy said:

Since ShaggyTexas is no more, check out SurlyHorns.con for the latest on the Fire Tom Herman thread....meltdown!

What happened to shaggy?
YoakDaddy
JXL said:

YoakDaddy said:

What happened to shaggy?

From what I could gather online, it looks like a lawsuit and the guy who won shut it down last March. I guess I've gotta find if that Thujone character is doing the MS Paints somewhere else.
NoBSU
YoakDaddy said:

JXL said:

YoakDaddy said:

What happened to shaggy?

From what I could gather online, it looks like a lawsuit and the guy who won shut it down last March. I guess I've gotta find if that Thujone character is doing the MS Paints somewhere else.

http://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/4104-just-a-bit-of-ms-paint-to-get-the-season-going/
NoBSU
The new stuff is good. I like a classic:

BaylorOkie
Oh thank you. I was looking for that yesterday.
NoBSU
Mitch Henessey said:

Very odd that KU's stadium is called David Booth Memorial when David Booth is very much alive.
Accodinding to Wiki it is more of a David Booth - Memorial Stadium. Booth for the $50M reno of the WWI KU student Memorial Stadium.
YoakDaddy
NoBSU said:

YoakDaddy said:

JXL said:

YoakDaddy said:

What happened to shaggy?

http://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/4104-just-a-bit-of-ms-paint-to-get-the-season-going/

Thanks! The MS Paints from Thujone are simply awesome! His paints after Petty and the Bears beat OU in Norman were so crudely funny!
NoBSU
His aggy stuff is my favorite. But, the new where's Kyler midget OU joke is priceless.
Russell Gym
NoBSU said:

His aggy stuff is my favorite. But, the new where's Kyler midget OU joke is priceless.

Please post if you can.
NoBSU
Russell Gym said:

NoBSU said:

Please post if you can.
Here is the link again to Thujone

BiPolarBear
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/texaslonghorns/2018/09/01/texas-loses-two-key-members-secondary-injury-maryland-loss

Texas loses two key members of its secondary to injury during Maryland loss

LANDOVER, Md. -- The Longhorns' defense took significant blows during Saturday's 34-29 season-opening loss to Maryland.

Texas coach Tom Herman announced after the game that senior cornerback Davante Davis suffered a sprained neck in the second quarter. He did not return to the game.

Junior safety Brandon Jones also sustained a high-ankle sprain late in the game and "would not have been able to go back in," per Herman.

Both will be evaluated when the Longhorns return to Austin, but right now there are no official timetables for when Davis and Jones will be back and it's not known how serious their injuries are.

Jones led the Longhorns in total tackles on Saturday with 10 and had three punt returns for 56 yards, including one for 33 that set up a touchdown.

Per Texas' depth chart, freshman Anthony Cook would be next in line to replace Davis, and freshman B.J. Foster is listed as Jones' backup.
BiPolarBear
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24567432/west-virginia-mountaineers-lb-charlie-benton-hurts-knee-season-over

West Virginia's Charlie Benton hurts knee, season over
12:16 PM CT

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- West Virginia linebacker Charlie Benton will miss the rest of the season with a knee injury.

Coach Dana Holgorsen said during a Big 12 coaches conference call Monday that Benton will have season-ending surgery. The junior college transfer injured his left knee in the second quarter of No. 17 West Virginia's 40-14 win Saturday over Tennessee.

Junior Shea Campbell filled in for Benton in his first college action.

The loss of Benton is a blow to a unit that was undercut earlier in the year with inuries to linebackers Brendan Ferns and Quondarius Qualls. Both are expected to miss much of the season.

West Virginia plays its home opener against Youngstown State on Saturday night.
BiPolarBear
BiPolarBear said:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/texaslonghorns/2018/09/01/texas-loses-two-key-members-secondary-injury-maryland-loss

Texas loses two key members of its secondary to injury during Maryland loss

LANDOVER, Md. -- The Longhorns' defense took significant blows during Saturday's 34-29 season-opening loss to Maryland.

Texas coach Tom Herman announced after the game that senior cornerback Davante Davis suffered a sprained neck in the second quarter. He did not return to the game.

Junior safety Brandon Jones also sustained a high-ankle sprain late in the game and "would not have been able to go back in," per Herman.

Both will be evaluated when the Longhorns return to Austin, but right now there are no official timetables for when Davis and Jones will be back and it's not known how serious their injuries are.

Jones led the Longhorns in total tackles on Saturday with 10 and had three punt returns for 56 yards, including one for 33 that set up a touchdown.

Per Texas' depth chart, freshman Anthony Cook would be next in line to replace Davis, and freshman B.J. Foster is listed as Jones' backup.
When the Texas Longhorns take the field on Saturday for a Week 2 meeting with the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes, they'll do so without senior wide receiver John Burt, Tom Herman announced during his Monday afternoon press conference.

Burt missed the Longhorns season-opening loss to Maryland as well.

Elsewhere, senior cornerback Kris Boyd is working through an ankle sprain, although Herman noted that if he had to label the likelihood of Boyd playing on Saturday, it would be "probable."

Senior cornerback Davante Davis and junior Brandon Jones are also among a minor injury-riddled secondary. Jones, who suffered a high ankle sprain on Saturday, is questionable for the Tulsa game, as is Davis who left the Maryland game with a neck injury. True freshman Anthony Cook is listed as Davis' backup
on the depth chart, although Kobe Boyce filled in during the Maryland game when Davis was sidelined. If Jones is unable to perform, true freshman B.J. Foster is listed as his backup, although Chris Brown may get the nod there.

True freshman linebacker Ayodele Adeoye and fellow true freshman safety DeMarvion Overshown remain out as well due to respective knee injuries.
BiPolarBear
[url=http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?PRINTABLE_PAGE=YES&ATCLID=211770318&DB_OEM_ID=10410] [/url][url=http://www.big12sports.com/RSSFeed.dbml?ATCLID=2117703188&DB_OEM_ID=10410][/url]
[url=http://www.big12sports.com/#][/url]

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211770318

Grier Tabbed National Offensive Player of Week

September 02, 2018

West Virginia's Will Grier earned Walter Camp National Offensive Player of the Week after his 400-plus yard passing performance against Tennessee.

After throwing for a career-high 429 passing yards and tying his career high with five touchdowns, West Virginia quarterback and Heisman Trophy candidate Will Grier has been named the Walter Camp Football Foundation National Offensive Player of the Week, presented by Generation UCAN.

Grier led the Mountaineers to a 40-14 win over Tennessee on Saturday at Bank of America Stadium in his hometown of Charlotte, North Carolina, finishing 25-of-34 (73.5 percent) for 429 yards and five touchdowns. He completed passes to 11 different Mountaineer receivers.

The Charlotte native has thrown for more than 300 or more yards in nine of the 12 games he has played at WVU and has thrown five touchdown passes a school-record four times.
BiPolarBear
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/texastechredraiders/2018/09/03/texas-tech-starting-quarterback-mclane-carters-status-week-2-uncertain

Status of Texas Tech starting QB McLane Carter uncertain for Week 2

For the second straight week, Texas Tech's starting quarterback situation is unclear heading into a game.

Head coach Kliff Kingsbury said during Monday's Big 12 coaches teleconference that McLane Carter's status is uncertain for Saturday's game against Lamar after he suffered a high-ankle sprain in the season-opening loss to Ole Miss.

Kingsbury said the team will use the next couple of days to evaluate him.

Freshman Alan Bowman replaced him against the Rebels and completed 29 of 49 passes for 273 yards and one touchdown.

Kingsbury opted for Bowman over sophomore Jett Duffey, who was once expected to be a frontrunner for the starting job.

After the Week 1 loss, Kingsbury said both Bowman and Duffey would get "a ton of reps this week."
BiPolarBear
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article217760195.html

TCU's Gary Patterson: Cornerback Michael Onyemaobi 'probably out for the season'

TCU has lost its second defensive back for the season.

Coach Gary Patterson said that third-string cornerback Michael Onyemaobi is "probably out for the season" after sustaining an injury in Saturday's 55-7 victory over Southern.

Patterson said on the Big 12 coaches teleconference Monday that Onyemaobi is the only injury setback his team sustained during the season opener.

The Frogs lost freshman safety Atanza Vongor for the season to an injury during fall camp.

Onyemaobi, who is nicknamed "Yo-Yo" or "Obi-Wan Kenobi" by Patterson, took to Instagram to share his injury news.

In a post, Onyemaobi wrote: "I'll be back stronger than ever and that's on my soul."

Onyemaobi had to be helped off the field during the game. He didn't register any statistics on the day.

Onyemaobi redshirted as a true freshman last season. The former three-star recruit out of Chaparral High School (Temecula, California) moved from safety to cornerback in fall camp.

[url=https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/link][/url]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.