Football
Sponsored by

Art Briles speaks to the Baylor Line

78,872 Views | 536 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Pecos 45
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thee University said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LOL! Well I hope you and Thee have a lot of fun at Baylor's next bowl appearance at the next Goody's Headache Powder Bowl. You can brag about our huge stats and great win over Florida International. Whenever that may be.
Where is the Goody's Headache Bowl being played? For me it is all about the location of the game.

When we lost to that commuter school a few years ago in the Fiesta I quit caring about the opponent and looked forward to good trips.
It will be in Jerkwater, USA. Make sure you bring your banjo and tobacky. I think the T.V. rights belong to The Food Channel.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Thee University
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Thee University said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

LOL! Well I hope you and Thee have a lot of fun at Baylor's next bowl appearance at the next Goody's Headache Powder Bowl. You can brag about our huge stats and great win over Florida International. Whenever that may be.
Where is the Goody's Headache Bowl being played? For me it is all about the location of the game.

When we lost to that commuter school a few years ago in the Fiesta I quit caring about the opponent and looked forward to good trips.
It will be in Jerkwater, USA. Make sure you bring your banjo and tobacky. I think the T.V. rights belong to The Food Channel.
I'd rather it be BC Powder over Goody's
BUbearinARK
Booray said:

xiledinok said:

Robert Wilson said:

Booray said:

Robert Wilson said:

Yeah I wouldn't be that gracious about it.
I was also very impressed by one thing from the tape recording of the meeting between the staff and Mack Rhoades over the WSJ article. In the midst of all that s4it, Kendal Briles had one comment: Let's go kick Texas' ass. His dad raised him right.

Briles made mistakes here and should have paid for them. But we screwed him over in a way he did not deserve and the karma is going to kill us for decades.

All dead on.

We really kicked Texas' ass in that 4th quarter! I m told by those in the know Lebby was a dumb one but I didn't expect him to not manage his backs as poorly as he did against Texas.
Of course, when people are recording people, you can expect some folks to play to the recording.
Sleazy people record and pump a little "sound" to juice the audience. Being insincere and stupid works on dumb ones. I have seen it done.
Hasty doesn't fumble and we win. S4it happens, its not always the coaches' fault.
dilly, dilly
Osodecentx
Thee University said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Don't have to worry about trips anymore. Plan your holidays without worrying about bowl games
BeerThief
Malbec said:

BeerThief said:

Chuckroast said:

BeerThief said:

Booray said:

BeerThief said:

ScrappyPaws said:

BeerThief said:

PartyBear said:

Completely different.
Both fanbases have larges masses of people who say each coach did nothing wrong. I certainly wouldnt say completely different.
One coach is proven to have had knowledge that his friend was molesting boys on campus. The other is proven to have raped... no that's not right... covered up... no, that's not it either... ohhh, he sent those text messages hoping some stupid stuff didn't get picked up by the media?!? Plus he should have known Tevin was a serial rapist even though his his teammates and roommates didn't AND he should have known Sam was trouble despite the clean bill of health from BSU.

Totally the same.
Their fans say exactly the same things you just did, he couldn't/didn't know, he didn't do anything wrong, he didn't ask the Penn State bor to keep it under wraps etc etc.

As I recall, Briles apologized on ESPN. If I didn't do anything wrong, I wouldn't be compelled to apologize. Especially if I felt another person or persons was responsible.
His apology was that things happened under his watch, not that he personally did anything wrong. That is what I would call stand-up.

Notice you have responded to other posters, but not to me. Which victims did Briles indirectly encourage not to go to the police. Where can I read those emails/texts?

They're in the same place all these allegations that the bor did something to blow up the football program because buddy jones didn't like that Briles flirted with Texas. You certainly believe that without reading texts or emails, but You imply I'm making this all up. I get the feeling that everyone's mind made up here.

Answer this one question

If x years from now, the case is over and done, and it shows that Briles did indeed send his assistants to tamper with some of the alleged victims, what will your response be?
Why in the world did they pay him $15.1 million to go away then?

Why did Briles and Shillinglaw drop their cases?
Why does someone comment on a thread about an interview, when they didn't even read the interview? Read it.

Generally, people who feel very strongly that they have been wrongly terminated don't drop their cases so they can get another job. I believe him when he says he wants his name back. Dropping a wrongful termination suit doesn't look good.
Robert Wilson
BeerThief said:

Malbec said:

BeerThief said:

Chuckroast said:

BeerThief said:

Booray said:

BeerThief said:

ScrappyPaws said:

BeerThief said:

PartyBear said:

Completely different.
Both fanbases have larges masses of people who say each coach did nothing wrong. I certainly wouldnt say completely different.
One coach is proven to have had knowledge that his friend was molesting boys on campus. The other is proven to have raped... no that's not right... covered up... no, that's not it either... ohhh, he sent those text messages hoping some stupid stuff didn't get picked up by the media?!? Plus he should have known Tevin was a serial rapist even though his his teammates and roommates didn't AND he should have known Sam was trouble despite the clean bill of health from BSU.

Totally the same.
Their fans say exactly the same things you just did, he couldn't/didn't know, he didn't do anything wrong, he didn't ask the Penn State bor to keep it under wraps etc etc.

As I recall, Briles apologized on ESPN. If I didn't do anything wrong, I wouldn't be compelled to apologize. Especially if I felt another person or persons was responsible.
His apology was that things happened under his watch, not that he personally did anything wrong. That is what I would call stand-up.

Notice you have responded to other posters, but not to me. Which victims did Briles indirectly encourage not to go to the police. Where can I read those emails/texts?

They're in the same place all these allegations that the bor did something to blow up the football program because buddy jones didn't like that Briles flirted with Texas. You certainly believe that without reading texts or emails, but You imply I'm making this all up. I get the feeling that everyone's mind made up here.

Answer this one question

If x years from now, the case is over and done, and it shows that Briles did indeed send his assistants to tamper with some of the alleged victims, what will your response be?

Why does someone comment on a thread about an interview, when they didn't even read the interview? Read it.

Generally, people who feel very strongly that they have been wrongly terminated don't drop their cases so they can get another job. I believe him when he says he wants his name back. Dropping a wrongful termination suit doesn't look good.
I think there was probably enough justification to fire Briles while paying him $18M. It was just a really dumb thing to do.

I think the suit was for defamation. Not a wrongful termination suit - that's why they paid him $18M. Very different beast. Tougher to prove up the elements of the cause of action, tougher to establish damages. Just a messy business. Not a good investment of time, generally.
BeerThief
Robert Wilson said:

BeerThief said:

Malbec said:

BeerThief said:

Chuckroast said:

BeerThief said:

Booray said:

BeerThief said:

ScrappyPaws said:

BeerThief said:

PartyBear said:

Completely different.

Totally the same.

Answer this one question

I think there was probably enough justification to fire Briles while paying him $18M. It was just a really dumb thing to do.

I think the suit was for defamation. Not a wrongful termination suit - that's why they paid him $18M. Very different beast. Tougher to prove up the elements of the cause of action, tougher to establish damages. Just a messy business. Not a good investment of time, generally.

Sorry, the article that Malbec insisted I read stated wrongful termination. Also says they paid him $15.1 million not $18.
Aliceinbubbleland
cyberbear said:

cyberbear

Wrong. The objective was achieved by our enemies (ESPN & our conference neighbor to the south) Get rid of Art Briles. Take down Baylor before this impending dynasty goes any further. Mission accomplished. Think of it as The Deep State or the #metoo movement before these common phrases and hashtags came into vogue.

The BOR's motives were REACTIVE to the above systematic takedown.

And the gift that keeps on giving (to our enemies) is the fact that it ALSO served to fracture our fanbase to the point that moving on with full alumni support is next to impossible.

We are quite able to destroy ourselves without any help from ESPN or UT. While I really want to believe this theory you put forth, and it's very possible, don't forget that the Chairman of the UT Regents was a Baylor grad at the time and knowing his family the last thing they want would be to harm Baylor. Paul Foster served as Chairman of the UT Regents during this time frame.

I will firmly believe three or four BOR members had it out for Starr and they didn't care how much damage was done.

OTOH I'll never forgive Starr for bringing PH to the campus. What in hell was he thinking? Was he that incapable of knowing "those women" had no clue about athletics?
Forest Bueller
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

NoBSU said:

Stranger said:

PartyBear said:

Buddy is an idiot if he wanted to fire Briles because he took Texas' call and talked to them. It is clear if he really wanted that job that is where he would be right now in his 5th season. If that numbered Briles' days then Rhule's time should be about up for talking to the Colts on top of his lack of performance issues.

Urban legend says Briles wanted the Texas job but he overplayed his hand. Texas asked him to sit for an interview. Supposedly Art said no. He countered that they knew who he was and what he had accomplished and an interview was unnecessary. Texas said "no thank you" and withdrew their offer.

The big money boys had gathered in a hotel suite at the Fiesta Bowl and had another coach financially wrapped up and ready to announce if Art left. The big money boys had this plan in place because they honestly believed Art was gone.

Buddy was wise to the proceedings.

Chip Brown had been tipped off early of Briles and Starr's firings before it happened on May 26, 2016. That info came from the board room. How it got to Chip is your
guess.

I don't remember past schedules well. How did that Fiesta Bowl turn out?
We ended up 11-2 for the season after losing 52-42 to UCF in the Fiesta Bowl. It was absolutely HORRIBLE!!! Thank God we don't have to deal with that bowl crap anymore on the national stage. Those days really sucked. Hope that helps.

How did our bowl game turn out in 2017?
Not to pick on Art Briles, but Baylor's 2013 loss to UCF by multiple scores was likely the worst thing to happen to the Big 12 since Texas A&M left the conference. The reason being was that Baylor did not defeat anyone of relevant in the regular season OOC, ran through the Big 12 with relative ease, had the nations #1 offense based on those wins (i.e. against the Big 12, bad G5, and FCS teams), and then lost to a functionally G5 team that had already lost to not-undefeated SEC team.

It really provided support for the argument argument that the Big 12 was not that good and didn't play good defense since its 1 loss champion and leader in national offense not only didn't cover a 17+ point spread to that G5 team, but it lost straight up by 10 points to that team. For posters that care about Vegas spreads and would like to treat them as predictions, that would mean that Baylor underperformed in its scoring differential to UCF by 27+ points.
That is IF the Bears make a bowl before they get kicked down to Mountain West Conference.
REX
Doc Holliday said:

xiledinok said:

Once it comes out in public that Art had his crew tampering with victims, the regents' interference and wrapping their hands around some the athletic department dirt will be stuffed in most publications next to the comments on trash service.

It is all about Art on the national level.
Baylor's civil war is blamed on the football coach. The public knows these college coaches break the rules. They love watching them get torched.

It took two years, numerous lawyers (squirrel asses tend to run through lawyers) and Art finally strapped himself onto the Baylor Line Foundation's great work.
The oddball's former boss didn't have a problem lying to hurt the Baylor Alumni Association for the Texas taxpayer fee tobacco lawsuit memorial bridge
You privy to something we don't know.

How?

He's not privy to anything just making stuff up and hoping some of it is correct
He missed this one by a mile
Probably due to lack of sleep
Aliceinbubbleland
Forest Bueller said:

That is IF the Bears make a bowl before they get kicked down to Mountain West Conference.
Forest,

I'm hoping we will be fortunate enough to get in the ACC with UH but Sloan will probably appeal to his connections and dumb us down to his conference with Mary Harden, et al.There is no doubt in my mind we will never survive the next realignment. That died when they fired Art.
Forest Bueller
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Forest Bueller said:

Forest,

I'm hoping we will be fortunate enough to get in the ACC with UH but Sloan will probably appeal to his connections and dumb us down to his conference with Mary Harden, et al.There is no doubt in my mind we will never survive the next realignment. That died when they fired Art.
The AAC is the first step down from P5 and would not be a bad place to land, at the moment the Bears would not be very competitive in the AAC. Hopefully that picks up as the year progresses.
PartyBear
The ACC is the P5 conference on the east coast that Duke, FSU, Miami etc are in.
Forest Bueller
PartyBear said:

The ACC is the P5 conference on the east coast that Duke, FSU, Miami etc are in.
Sorry, just read it wrong. ACC would be great for BU, but the Bears have to get it together.

A couple more 2-10, 3-9 or even 4-8's and the Bears will lose their recruiting momentum.
william
so inept.

so horribly inept.

- BUmma

PartyBear
Forest Bueller said:

PartyBear said:

Sorry, just read it wrong. ACC would be great for BU, but the Bears have to get it together.

A couple more 2-10, 3-9 or even 4-8's and the Bears will lose their recruiting momentum.
This is why I think an emergency coaching change should happen if we continue down the road we are clearly on thus far this season. You cant ignore the empty stadium and Steelish performance on the field despite decent talent. We cant afford to wait and see IF this all works out somehow.
BUbearinARK
PartyBear said:

Forest Bueller said:

PartyBear said:

This is why I think an emergency coaching change should happen. You cant ignore the empty stadium and Steelish performance on the field despite decent talent. We cant afford to wait and see IF this all works out somehow.
...or can we???
NoBSU
BCS Bear said:

Reading this thread I'm a mix of sad, angry, embarrassed, and pissed. Not at the posters, rather, at the sequence of events that have transpired over the past few years to bring us to the point we are today. As an alumni is it too much to ask to have the whole truth come out so that we know what happened, rather than the piecemeal approach that we've gone through lasting years? Why not get everything out in the open, regardless of who's at fault, so that we can address the wrongs that occurred and move forward? As Rex says this continual drip drip of info does nothing to put an end to this, seems to drag the issue into perpetuity, and has us all fighting with each other over what the real truth may be. To me, this has gone way beyond football and what conference we may end up in down the road. It's about the reputation of the school from which we all graduated...and that reputation doesn't seem to show any signs of recovery.
REX's drip, drip is a happy celebration by him of a continual PR campaign by "Coach" to drop information with KWTX, Engel, and now the BLF. REX wants recovery and reputation only for Art Briles so his son can move up in coaching as he follows Kendall Briles around football programs.

Are you familiar with a drip marketing campaign?
Robert Wilson
Aliceinbubbleland said:

cyberbear said:

cyberbear

Wrong. The objective was achieved by our enemies (ESPN & our conference neighbor to the south) Get rid of Art Briles. Take down Baylor before this impending dynasty goes any further. Mission accomplished. Think of it as The Deep State or the #metoo movement before these common phrases and hashtags came into vogue.

And the gift that keeps on giving (to our enemies) is the fact that it ALSO served to fracture our fanbase to the point that moving on with full alumni support is next to impossible.

We are quite able to destroy ourselves without any help from ESPN or UT. While I really want to believe this theory you put forth, and it's very possible, don't forget that the Chairman of the UT Regents was a Baylor grad at the time and knowing his family the last thing they want would be to harm Baylor. Paul Foster served as Chairman of the UT Regents during this time frame.

I will firmly believe three or four BOR members had it out for Starr and they didn't care how much damage was done.

OTOH I'll never forgive Starr for bringing PH to the campus. What in hell was he thinking? Was he that incapable of knowing "those women" had no clue about athletics?
I'm with you on all 3 of these points.

1. Blaming third parties is silly and pointless. We are responsible for ourselves. We could have handled this much better. We didn't.
2. Internal agendas and grudges appear to have played a significant part in having the institution do major damage to itself.
3. He should've hired a defense firm. Hiring an "investigator" and creating an expectation of public findings was a really bad idea, at least as far as Baylor is concerned.
NoBSU
BeerThief said:

Robert Wilson said:

BeerThief said:

Malbec said:

BeerThief said:

Chuckroast said:

BeerThief said:

Booray said:

BeerThief said:

ScrappyPaws said:

BeerThief said:

PartyBear said:

Completely different.

Totally the same.

Answer this one question

Sorry, the article that Malbec insisted I read stated wrongful termination. Also says they paid him $15.1 million not $18.
Posted Baylor filings show 18. 3 went to Briles' attorney allegedly.
NoBSU
Robert Wilson said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

cyberbear said:

cyberbear

I'm with you on all 3 of these points.

1. Blaming third parties is silly and pointless. We are responsible for ourselves. We could have handled this much better. We didn't.
2. Internal agendas and grudges appear to have played a significant part in having the institution do major damage to itself.
3. He should've hired a defense firm. Hiring an "investigator" and creating an expectation of public findings was a really bad idea, at least as far as Baylor is concerned.
The were reports of the review changing once in force with an attorney who is a regent taking a more direct management.

Ian reported in his deposition that he asked a PH attorney where this all was headed. She replied one of three ways with the last being whitewash.

Starr skates with many on this board for his hiring PH. But this board despises PH and feels that the result was preset. I think there are much more plausible theories than that. The Baylor Law School attorney punted. Did he do that after quickly realizing we mishandled Title IX or did he see emails and texts? When did the whitewash go out the window. I believe it was there to a point.

That is what leads me to believe that there is more dirt for regents, administrators and football staff. I think it is major NCAA violation dirt and McCaw and Briles think the regents will not cut their nose off to spite their face. I think they are very wrong in that assessment of the regents that control Baylor.

If there is more dirt than I think the administrators/regents dirt is SA related. I think the football staff's dirt swept under the rug is benefits and grades. Maybe both. You get a booster attorney to fix a legal issue for a kid for free and that is a NCAA problem. Think how damaging it would be to the regent's plans for our assault on real Tier 1 academics to have grade-fixing or test-taking scandal.
Booray
When you are a school in the crosshairs, you go one of two ways with the NCAA. Total war or complete cooperation. If we told the NCAA we were going the complete cooperation route and it determined we withheld evidence of violations, the result will not be pretty.
Lawbear
PartyBear said:

My supporting the team now hasn't done a damn thing to making Rhule and staff do anything close to a good job.
Your idea of support is interesting. But I would agree that your "support" hasn't done a damn thing for Rhule and staff.

I'm tired of hearing about CAB, Starr, RR and Obama. Past is last. Move forward.
YoakDaddy
BeerThief said:

Malbec said:

BeerThief said:

Chuckroast said:

BeerThief said:

Booray said:

BeerThief said:

ScrappyPaws said:

BeerThief said:

PartyBear said:

Completely different.

Totally the same.

Answer this one question

It does when your family/staff are trying to get jobs.
D. C. Bear
Lawbear said:

PartyBear said:

My supporting the team now hasn't done a damn thing to making Rhule and staff do anything close to a good job.
Your idea of support is interesting. But I would agree that your "support" hasn't done a damn thing for Rhule and staff.

I'm tired of hearing about CAB, Starr, RR and Obama. Past is last. Move forward.
The thread is clearly marked as being about Art Briles. The solution is easy: if you don't want to read about it, then don't click on the link.
NoBSU
YoakDaddy said:

BeerThief said:

Malbec said:

BeerThief said:

Chuckroast said:

BeerThief said:

Booray said:

BeerThief said:

ScrappyPaws said:

BeerThief said:

PartyBear said:

Completely different.

Totally the same.

Answer this one question

I never bought that theory. Family knew they were going to be out of work when he filed in December. Remember one foot out the door? Lawsuit dropped in February. They were trying to get jobs when he filed.
YoakDaddy
NoBSU said:

YoakDaddy said:

BeerThief said:

Malbec said:

BeerThief said:

Chuckroast said:

BeerThief said:

Booray said:

BeerThief said:

ScrappyPaws said:

BeerThief said:

PartyBear said:

Completely different.

Totally the same.

Answer this one question

I never bought that theory. Family knew they were going to be out of work when he filed in December. Remember one foot out the door? Lawsuit dropped in February. They were trying to get jobs when he filed.

Not a theory.
NoBSU
YoakDaddy said:

NoBSU said:

YoakDaddy said:

BeerThief said:

Malbec said:

BeerThief said:

Chuckroast said:

BeerThief said:

Booray said:

BeerThief said:

ScrappyPaws said:

BeerThief said:

PartyBear said:

Completely different.

Totally the same.

Answer this one question

Not a theory.
So a tactical error? Lack of anticipation of collateral damage?
PartyBear
Lawbear said:

PartyBear said:

I suppose your support of the team would make Rhule and staff better coaches?? If you think your donating, buying season tickets and showing the hell up would make Rhule and staff do better, then why the hell have you not been supporting the team and why are you criticizing those who do.
Lawbear
PartyBear said:

Lawbear said:

PartyBear said:

I suppose your support of the team would make Rhule and staff better coaches?? Then why the hell have you not been supporting the team.
My point is that your idea of crapping on everything Rhule and Baylor is the exact opposite of support.

Who knows, maybe my support helped us win the first two games, but just wasn't strong enough to get us the third win. I will try to do better.
DAC
D. C. Bear said:

Lawbear said:

PartyBear said:

The thread is clearly marked as being about Art Briles. The solution is easy: if you don't want to read about it, then don't click on the link.

What a concept!
Reverend
Thee is a narcissist. Of course, he doesn't know it.
xiledinok
REX said:

Doc Holliday said:

xiledinok said:

Once it comes out in public that Art had his crew tampering with victims, the regents' interference and wrapping their hands around some the athletic department dirt will be stuffed in most publications next to the comments on trash service.

It is all about Art on the national level.
Baylor's civil war is blamed on the football coach. The public knows these college coaches break the rules. They love watching them get torched.

It took two years, numerous lawyers (squirrel asses tend to run through lawyers) and Art finally strapped himself onto the Baylor Line Foundation's great work.
The oddball's former boss didn't have a problem lying to hurt the Baylor Alumni Association for the Texas taxpayer fee tobacco lawsuit memorial bridge
You privy to something we don't know.

How?

He's not privy to anything just making stuff up and hoping some of it is correct
He missed this one by a mile
Probably due to lack of sleep

You ll did something you should have not done. The answer would be "no" letting some folks manage issues. It didn't work out well.
Looking forward to tomorrow's drip drip...should galvanize those looking for a hero. We'll get to hear more about those rogue regents. I might send RD2win a bottle of 1942 to celebrate.
Rex, fyi, there's a few smoking hot Colombian women working at one of the local "adult" establishments in Tulsa just in case you guys want to hold a reunion weekend this Fall. See if they'll fall down on their knees like perverted little tarts.

You can admit that working at a commuter school isn't working at a Power 5. Did you enjoy picking roadside cotton after last week?
PartyBear
Lawbear said:

PartyBear said:

Lawbear said:

PartyBear said:

I suppose your support of the team would make Rhule and staff better coaches?? Then why the hell have you not been supporting the team.
My point is that your idea of crapping on everything Rhule and Baylor is the exact opposite of support.

Who knows, maybe my support helped us win the first two games, but just wasn't strong enough to get us the third win. I will try to do better.
First of all I have praised the talent of this program and said all year I agreed with Rhule that we would win at least 6 this season. I defended our performance against ACU and UTSA telling everyone here that while there is no science to it, my view is we performed about like a 6 or 7 win team and not to expect a result against the creampuff like we got in 13, 14 and 15. I really thought we would do quite well against Duke I was telling everyone here up until that game that we would have a drastic turnaround this season. I was a bit shocked at that game. I'll eat crow about my earlier observations regarding the first two wins. I dont stick my head in the sand however and pretend all is well under a staff despite the results.
Aberzombie1892
ColomboLQ said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

NoBSU said:

Stranger said:

PartyBear said:

Buddy is an idiot if he wanted to fire Briles because he took Texas' call and talked to them. It is clear if he really wanted that job that is where he would be right now in his 5th season. If that numbered Briles' days then Rhule's time should be about up for talking to the Colts on top of his lack of performance issues.

Urban legend says Briles wanted the Texas job but he overplayed his hand. Texas asked him to sit for an interview. Supposedly Art said no. He countered that they knew who he was and what he had accomplished and an interview was unnecessary. Texas said "no thank you" and withdrew their offer.

The big money boys had gathered in a hotel suite at the Fiesta Bowl and had another coach financially wrapped up and ready to announce if Art left. The big money boys had this plan in place because they honestly believed Art was gone.

Buddy was wise to the proceedings.

Chip Brown had been tipped off early of Briles and Starr's firings before it happened on May 26, 2016. That info came from the board room. How it got to Chip is your
guess.

I don't remember past schedules well. How did that Fiesta Bowl turn out?
We ended up 11-2 for the season after losing 52-42 to UCF in the Fiesta Bowl. It was absolutely HORRIBLE!!! Thank God we don't have to deal with that bowl crap anymore on the national stage. Those days really sucked. Hope that helps.

How did our bowl game turn out in 2017?
Not to pick on Art Briles, but Baylor's 2013 loss to UCF by multiple scores was likely the worst thing to happen to the Big 12 since Texas A&M left the conference. The reason being was that Baylor did not defeat anyone of relevant in the regular season OOC, ran through the Big 12 with relative ease, had the nations #1 offense based on those wins (i.e. against the Big 12, bad G5, and FCS teams), and then lost to a functionally G5 team that had already lost to not-undefeated SEC team.

It really provided support for the argument argument that the Big 12 was not that good and didn't play good defense since its 1 loss champion and leader in national offense not only didn't cover a 17+ point spread to that G5 team, but it lost straight up by 10 points to that team. For posters that care about Vegas spreads and would like to treat them as predictions, that would mean that Baylor underperformed in its scoring differential to UCF by 27+ points.
Disagree with this. I believe the worst thing that happened to the Big 12 since A&M left was Baylor beating Kansas St in 2012 when K. St. was #1 in the country. It cost Colin Klein the Heisman, It cost K. St. a shot at the national title (where they would have had a good chance to beat Notre Dame, thus claiming a national championship for the Big 12), it ended up matching up K. St against Oregon in their bowl game (which was the worst possible opponent for K. St. at the time) and caused a ripple effect that had Oklahoma matched up against A&M in a game they got killed. Instead of having the Big 12 playing in and possibly winning the national title, the top teams in the Big 12 got beat badly that year and that started the whole "the Big 12 is not that good" arguments that have since carried over until today.
There is a good argument for that, just as there is a good argument for Oklahoma State losing to Iowa State the year that Oklahoma State won the conference.

However, the UCF loss was different than those in the sense that it was an end-of-season OOC loss. In that context, Baylor had already proved that it was, hands down, better than the rest of the Big 12 that season and that given it had the nations number one offense, they were ready to dominate in the postseason. Because that did not occur and they allowed 52 points to a G5 team, it made the Big 12 looks terrible.

An abstract, it easy for some to look at the loss and imply that it was not a big deal, however, imagine USC, Alabama, Ohio State, or Clemson going 13-1 in the regular season - showing that they were hands down better than their conferences - and then losing in the postseason to a 13-1 Houston with no top 25 P5 or OOC top 25 G5 regular season wins on its resume. That would be significant.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.