Football
Sponsored by

Fire rhule now...

25,064 Views | 208 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SoTexBear
oldbear69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just do it.... are we really afraid a new guy might go 0-12 or 4-8 ? Jersey don't fit ...we must acquit..... now...
Robert Wilson
oldbear69 said:

Just do it.... are we really afraid a new guy might go 0-12 or 4-8 ? Jersey don't fit ...we must acquit..... now...
You trust the people in charge to make a better hire next time?

Rhule is probably mediocre, give or take one standard deviation. Plus he "fits" at the new Baylor. He may be here for 20 years unless he wins enough to leave.
PartyBear
oldbear69 said:

A good coach should be able to turn it around from Rhule quickly. There is talent here to work with. Rhule just isn't good at that.
oldbear69
oldbear69 said:

I'll be suspended by midnite ... good bye ... farewell ... Auf wiedersehen..adieu...
xiledinok
PartyBear said:

oldbear69 said:

A good coach should be able to turn it around from Rhule quickly. There is talent here to work with. Rhule just isn't good at that.

Who is getting drafted other than possibly Mims, Hurd or Derrick Thomas?
How do you judge talent? Do you care what the pros think?
I saw numerous seniors who were division 2 jewels playing for Baylor today on a Power 5 team.
Granted, the play calling is bad and there's no adjustments to help these lesser players.
Dia del DougO
I'm not ready to fire him, but my expectations took a huge hit today.

TCU comes in with possibly their worst team ever in the Big 12 era, then they lose a few more players early. They're already playing vanilla Jr. High level stuff, but then get even more vanilla, and it's completely over Rhule's head how to scheme against them and make anything happen, or stop them from doing what they need to end an important drive.

It's really frustrating to watch. It was very much like a repeat of the Duke game, except Baylor looked like they had taken steps since then. This game just threw all that perceived progress in the garbage. This is not a good team, and the coaches don't seem to be getting the most out of what they have.
PartyBear
It will only be marginally better next season if it is any better. Marginally better than what we are now in year 3 doesn't cut it. He'll need to be fired a year from now.
CocoRox
* 40/85 of the TCU scholarship players injured.
-beaten by a 3rd string QB
* We had the 3rd ranked roster in the big 12
EGOTbear
There's a lot of strange hand wringing over this loss.

I mean I'm pissed as hell, but are people surprised that Gary Patterson outcoached Rhule? Fatterson has outcoached many a coach in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

He shut us down. Plain and simple. He owned Briles several times too.
PartyBear
Rhule pledged "at least 6 wins" even 3 weeks ago. He will not deliver and hence whatever other things he says about his process are also lacking credibility. Rhule is shot here.
BellCountyBear
EGOTbear said:

I mean I'm pissed as hell, but are people surprised that Gary Patterson outcoached Rhule? Fatterson has outcoached many a coach in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

This is true...Patterson is our kryptonite kind of like Slocum was at a&m.
PartyBear
Just because Rhule makes him look that way doesn't actually make it so
possible12
The guy that beat us was not a 'Johnny come lately'. He was their stud who deserved heavy game planning, given the circumstances. Surely they meant to make someone else make plays.
Redbrickbear
Robert Wilson said:

oldbear69 said:

Rhule is probably mediocre, give or take one standard deviation. Plus he "fits" at the new Baylor. He may be here for 20 years unless he wins enough to leave.
I feel you

I really don't think the Regents are capable of making the right choice next time....it was that corrupt group that got us into this mess.

Might as we keep Rhule and see what he can do for 4 years.

He might surprise us.

Losing to local Texas instate rivals is getting unbearable though.
xiledinok
CocoRox said:

* 40/85 of the TCU scholarship players injured.
-beaten by a 3rd string QB
* We had the 3rd ranked roster in the big 12

Patty had a rag tag roster in 2015 with third team linemen whipping us. Today, his defensive front owned our line.
Patty has won four straight with two games being very similar offensive performances. He handles our weaker o lines fairly well.
Baylor3216
Redbrickbear said:

Robert Wilson said:

oldbear69 said:

I feel you

I really don't think the Regents are capable of making the right choice next time....it was that corrupt group that got us into this mess.

Might as we keep Rhule and see what he can do for 4 years.

He might surprise us.

Losing to local Texas instate rivals is getting unbearable though.

At least one more to take this year and it's gonna be uggggggggly
BoonDockSaint
OP....

Please no more posting from you until later when u are thoroughly drunk.

Thx in advance
oldbear69
BoonDockSaint said:

I OP....

Thx in advance
I'm driving thru northern n Mexico and stopped in at my fav bar in eagle nest nm and I'm on my 4th crown and water.. and ur right....1-11 and 5-7 with no hope for the future .,.. I feel like George Bailey....where's the bridge,....
Hob Howelll
57Bear
EGOTbear said:

And Briles owned him several times, too.
CoachHBU2008
EGOTbear said:

This is true. I think what is frustrating for me is not this loss but the lack of consistency and development of this offense over the course of the season. It's just not good. Has nothing to do with playing style. I'm not advocating the return to HUNH. Not all HUNH are the same. Briles was different in his delivery and the confidence he breathed into his team. You don't just go and say hey Meachem, hey Cumbie come run you HUNH here and we will be fine. It has nothing to do with play style. It has to do with lack of identity. We don't have one. Contrary to what Rhule has said about the offense he'd like to run this is not a pro style offense. It's not even a hybrid pro offense. This offense is a poorly and slowly ran spread offense that doesn't simplify reads for it to be effective nor runs at a tempo that discombobulates defenses.

And had it been a true pro style, it would give Charlie more options and opportunities to check out of bad plays. There were three plays in particular that I can think of that this would have been beneficial.

This is about Patterson out coaching even the likes of Briles. You're at home for senior night, with a chance to get to a bowl game with an almost sold out stadium against a vulnerable TCU team that is a great rival. How you don't embrace that and step up to the occasion is frustrating.

And I am a fan of Rhule, but from day one I have always been critical of the offensive scheme. You are a pro style coach. You get scared off of your approach by a wannabe rabid fan base (no offense fellas lol). You promise a hybrid pro style attack with the speed game. You have no idea how that would work. You hire a Chip Kelly disciple who was at the has never been anything past a running backs coach. He has no offensive play design or play calling experience. And this is he guy who is to create this hybrid offense that you promised from basically scratch.

You use the Oregon offense to create the spread portion of this hybrid offense, an offense that has been exposed and figured out and is not a competent offense at all unless it's run at high speed pace otherwise it is very simple and predictable.

He is forced to now teach the pro game and a Chip Kelly game to a team used to a different spread. He has literally 5 months to create it before spring installs. And we have what we have. An offense that has really no pro concepts except for the receivers routes and how the staff makes the team prepare (NFL like in how they watch film, scouting reports, practice). But no pre snap reads for quarterback. No protection adjustments. No audibles at the line or changing of plays unless it's called from the sidelines. Plays taking forever to get in. Slow developing plays that cause qb to wait for receivers to get open.

That stuff has nothing to do with Patterson and everything to do with us. And on top of all that even with all of that you still have probably the most talented receiving core in the country, a young qb who had the high school football record of pass efficiency and a stable of backs that can all run and catch out of the backfield. Even with an enemic scheme, a component coordinator would be able to find away for us to win this game merely leaning in the talent. It seemed more like the offense limited them than expound on their talent. That's the frustrating thing about this.

Not to say they can't beat Tech next week. But something has to change about the approach. How long are we going to blame the output on just the guys getting to know the playbook and only being in year 2 of the install. That talent should've put that TCU team away.
bear2be2
oldbear69 said:

BoonDockSaint said:

I OP....

Thx in advance
I'm driving thru northern n Mexico and stopped in at my fav bar in eagle nest nm and I'm on my 4th crown and water.. and ur right....1-11 and 5-7 with no hope for the future .,.. I feel like George Bailey....where's the bridge,....
I hope you find it.
PartyBear
Do you have a recommendation for a new OC. The bad part of this is that it may be Rhule micromanaging and overruling Nixon. So the problem may be Rhule not just in general over the state of our program but regarding the play calling specifically.
lakersfan34
PartyBear said:

Do you have a recommendation for a new OC. The bad part of this is that it may be Rhule micromanaging and overruling Nixon. So the problem may be Rhule not just in general over the state of our program but regarding the play calling specifically.
I am inclined to believe that Rhule does more of the play calling than people realize. May explain why the initial OC may have left only weeks into his time here.
Krieg
lakersfan34 said:

PartyBear said:

I am inclined to believe that Rhule does more of the play calling than people realize. May explain why the initial OC may have left only weeks into his time here.

Yep.
CoachHBU2008
lakersfan34 said:

PartyBear said:

Well if so that is atrocious. He should be allowing men who are paid to do a job to do it. And Nixon should threaten to leave if Rhule continues to interfere. This is incompetence at its worse if true.
Krieg
CoachHBU2008 said:

lakersfan34 said:

PartyBear said:

Well if so that is atrocious. He should be allowing men who are paid to do a job to do it. And Nixon should threaten to leave if Rhule continues to interfere. This is incompetence at its worse if true.

Do you think the OC would be the guy deciding to run a true freshman QB with one snap to his name onto the field in the middle of the drive and waste 2nd down? The OC's job is to run a good offense and nobody in the history of football other than whoever keeps doing that for us thinks that's a good idea. I can't imagine 2 people think it's smart, and if Rhule wasn't the one that did it wouldn't have happened more than once...
CoachHBU2008
PartyBear said:

Maybe you go to the NFL ranks and look at a coach attached to one of these well run pro-style rpo offense. Maybe a Mike Kafka with the Chiefs or a Joe Lombardi with the Saints who has coached for years with Brees under Sean Payton and has been an OC before. Both currently qb coaches. Maybe they are looking for any opportunities to become an OC regardless of level.

What happens with Matt Canada after this year? Does Maryland give him the HC job? If not he may be available?

I've joked before about Hue Jackson, but might there be interest in going back to the college ranks as an OC? He has done it at USC.

Maybe someone on Riley's staff at OU? Who is the coordinator for the University of Hawaii? I saw them a couple of weekends ago late night and they have that run and shoot offense humming again like they did when Colt Brennan was there and not nearly with the talent they had in those years nor the talent we currently have on the roster. The run and shoot used to be an NFL offense so it lines up with the NFL style philosophy Rhule is trying to sell. Maybe add some rpo elements which it looks like they have or some counter, trap and iso run plays and you have your hybrid offense right there.

At this point I'll even take Mouse Davis. Anyone who has knowledge of an offense and an identity is what we need. A strong enough personality to overcome Rhule if he is forcing his way to calling plays or someone with some cache to their resume that he would respect.

Neither of these are likely to happen. And it's hard in college football to find a good young coach that run HUNH because they are usually subordinates to a head coach that is the actual play caller, not the actual play designers or play callers ie Sterlin Gilbert. HUNH offenses can be a crapshoot in college football. You have more bad ones than good. You don't just want anyone who runs a spread nor want a HUNH just to have a HUNH. In other words the great HUNH offensive minds usually are looking for and are offered the HC jobs of programs. Not looking to make a lateral movement at OC. Pro style guys are a little more like nomads and don't mind making lateral movement if it means a greater opportunity down the line.

Craig Stutzman is a bright young coach that I remember from Emory a few years ago watching some D3 ball. It looked like some funky version of the run and shoot offense but I was guessing that based on the routes that were ran that looked like the run and shoot concept. Not sure if that was what they were actually running or not, but it looked fun. And qb was making calls at the line of scrimmage on top of that. He just reminded me of Chip Kelly back when he was coaching in New Hampshire and started designing his blurr offense before it took the country by storm at Oregon.

What is more likely to happen is from within. Maybe you promote Nix to an assistant head coach role and let Glenn Thomas take over play calling duties and lets strip this offense down and build it back up from there. Let him run what he ran at temple and the Atlanta Falcons and add spread concepts that the players actually like and can execute accordingly.

But too me something has to change to this offense whether they move on from OC or not. It is not producing at the level it should regardless of o-line play. It's not cohesive and players are being asked to do different things at any given moment with no continuity or rhyme or reason to what they are doing or why. And I have little faith another year in the offense is the solution. If the basic manila install is this erratic and unproductive I doubt adding the rest of the playbook would do the trick.

The problem is the offense forces too much on deep in cutting routes that take too much time to develop and no variation in the passing game to keep defenses on their toes. When you don't have to prepare for quick games (screen game) or misdirection passing plays based on the running game, all you have to do is keep offenses in front of you. That is what is happening. And it's happening regardless if Zach Smith is back there; McClendon is back there or Charlie Brewer is back there at quarterback.

Getting better players eventually helps fix the problems with execution, but poor plays are poor plays. Even with 5 star recruits across the board this offense would not suffice. You'd be better off running what Harbaugh runs at Michigan at that point. The offense lacks continuity. That is the problem and as long as it's doing that it will continue to have fits and starts and some sparks of good and more trends of stalling.

You need someone who is married to an offense that is tried and true and who intimately knows the ins and outs of that offense and an offense, not just an OC with some experience but an actual offense with experience. Our offense is literally less than two years old.
Wwbear
Unfortunately Rhule has 2 more years of nepotism before there's risk of losing the job. The defense is serviceable but Nixon is a huge drag on the offense. Rhule won't make changes at the OC until he's forced to, and by then recruiting will be down.
Stan Mikita

Are we becoming the new Kansas?
Sailor Bear
If we don't fumble inside our own 30, they don't kick a field goal. If we don't fumble in the red zone, we potentially score a TD. There's your game, fellas. Blame coaches all you want, but players can lose you games, too.
PartyBear
Thank you coach. Perhaps you should be on our staff or an advisor to Rhoades if he has to intervene and do this for Rhule.

I'm concerned we can be on the verge of falling into that hole we fell into in the late 90s where we couldn't recruit because we couldn't win and couldn't win because we couldn't recruit. I feel as if we can't afford Rhule much longer if this is how the Rhule era is and it seems where we are is about the epitome of what the Rhule era is and is going to be. We are going into year 3 now and it just isn't good.

Incidentally I looked at Hue Jackson's history. Interestingly enough he was the QB for Bob Cope at Pacific. Cope, now deceased unfortunately, was Reedy's DC his first 3 seasons here.
TexasScientist
Stan Mikita said:

Are we becoming the new Kansas?
Yes.
TexasScientist
PartyBear said:

oldbear69 said:

We should can Rhule now before he has two more years to dig the hole deeper. Two more years of Rhule and we'll be in the hole Kansas is leaving.
PartyBear
Speaking from experience it takes a long time to get out of that hole. KU may not be leaving it like you are assuming. That hole is something we clearly need to avoid getting even close to. I agree, I'm concerned Rhule is taking us right to it and down into it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.