Football
Sponsored by

Fire rhule now...

25,047 Views | 208 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SoTexBear
Stranger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bearish said:

If we don't fumble inside our own 30, they don't kick a field goal. If we don't fumble in the red zone, we potentially score a TD. There's your game, fellas. Blame coaches all you want, but players can lose you games, too.

If, if, if. Little Matty's ineptitude and lack of coaching put the players in a position to fail.

He's a loser and a pretender and he needs to leave right now.
Sailor Bear
PartyBear said:

Rhule pledged "at least 6 wins" even 3 weeks ago. He will not deliver and hence whatever other things he says about his process are also lacking credibility. Rhule is shot here.

We're 5-6 with a shot at a bowl. You can count on one hand the number of plays that makes this team 7-4 right now.

His process is working just fine. You just don't like being in the middle of it.
Bubear2020
I gurrantee you for the time being recruiting is doing just fine.
Stranger
Bearish said:

PartyBear said:

Rhule pledged "at least 6 wins" even 3 weeks ago. He will not deliver and hence whatever other things he says about his process are also lacking credibility. Rhule is shot here.

We're 5-6 with a shot at a bowl. You can count on one hand the number of plays that makes this team 7-4 right now.

His process is working just fine. You just don't like being in the middle of it.

Maybe you should change your name to Rhule-ish
PartyBear
Bearish said:

PartyBear said:

This sounds exactly like and I mean identical to what the Pollyannas said in defense of Steele back in the 99-01 time. You cannot make go away the fact that even 3 weeks ago Rhule was still pledging at least 6 wins. He either doesn't know what he is talking about with regard to his own process or he is Harold Hill and full of crap in River City.
CoachHBU2008
Bearish said:

If we don't fumble inside our own 30, they don't kick a field goal. If we don't fumble in the red zone, we potentially score a TD. There's your game, fellas. Blame coaches all you want, but players can lose you games, too.

All key contributors to the loss. But those things that happened...that's football. You have to have some sort of plan to overcome that. That's coaching as much as it's the players not executing. This is not bang on the coaches for me. I actually like the staff. But my aha moment is when I saw Bohanon. And then I just imagined him in a year or two performing in this offense. And the thought made me shake my head. The way we go about our business on O is going to stunt his growth, a lot like it is doing with Charlie right now. It lacks substance. It's parts and pieces but not a tie offense. Had it been it would have overcome those costly mistakes. Even with what you said you add 7 points to the drive we fumble in the red zone. You take away the two touchdowns from TCU where we were in position to make a play on Reagor, the only guy we should have covered all game, an You now have a game that goes 16-3 Baylor. I didn't count the Lovett fumble drive to our scoring because there was no certainty that we would have scored on the drive. 16-3 against that TCU squad is not good enough. And the defense pitches a shutout with out the turnovers. It's the offense. It's always been the offense. It needs some help either wholesale or it's delivery. But even if the D becomes the best in the big XII, we aren't going to win many games with that offense. They need to revisit it in the offseason.
CoachHBU2008
PartyBear said:

Thank you coach. Perhaps you should be on our staff or an advisor to Rhoades if he has to intervene and do this for Rhule.

I'm concerned we can be on the verge of falling into that hole we fell into in the late 90s where we couldn't recruit because we couldn't win and couldn't win because we couldn't recruit. I feel as if we can't afford Rhule much longer if this is how the Rhule era is and it seems where we are is about the epitome of what the Rhule era is and is going to be. We are going into year 3 now and it just isn't good.

Incidentally I looked at Hue Jackson's history. Interestingly enough he was the QB for Bob Cope at Pacific. Cope, now deceased unfortunately, was Reedy's DC his first 3 seasons here.

That is a interesting fact that I didn't know. Don't know how that skipped me. Thanks for the info.

Jackson is someone who I know would be able to get the most out of Charlie and Bohanon would be a star under him. But it may be wishful thinking.

As for advising I'd take the job if it existed for free. Just a Baylor fan who loves the effort of the kids and sees a coaching staff trying to do right by them but may need some help in its execution. Hopefully they win next week. They all deserve to. Regardless that offense needs retooling
Yogi
Stan Mikita said:

Are we becoming the new Kansas?
Scrubby Little Baylor.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
CoachHBU2008
Krieg said:

CoachHBU2008 said:

lakersfan34 said:

PartyBear said:

Do you have a recommendation for a new OC. The bad part of this is that it may be Rhule micromanaging and overruling Nixon. So the problem may be Rhule not just in general over the state of our program but regarding the play calling specifically.
I am inclined to believe that Rhule does more of the play calling than people realize. May explain why the initial OC may have left only weeks into his time here.

Well if so that is atrocious. He should be allowing men who are paid to do a job to do it. And Nixon should threaten to leave if Rhule continues to interfere. This is incompetence at its worse if true.

Do you think the OC would be the guy deciding to run a true freshman QB with one snap to his name onto the field in the middle of the drive and waste 2nd down? The OC's job is to run a good offense and nobody in the history of football other than whoever keeps doing that for us thinks that's a good idea. I can't imagine 2 people think it's smart, and if Rhule wasn't the one that did it wouldn't have happened more than once...

Yeah it's odd and dumb. I couldn't tell if Charlie was on the field as well and maybe they were trying to surprise them with a wildcat with an actual qb. But that's not what it was. It was a dumb play and waste. If they really want to get Bohanon meaningful snaps we need to stop eating so much clock, blow these guys out and let him get them in garbage time where he can actually learn and take true advantage of the redshirt rule.
Keyser Soze
oldbear69 said:

BoonDockSaint said:

I OP....

Please no more posting from you until later when u are thoroughly drunk.

Thx in advance
I'm driving thru northern n Mexico and stopped in at my fav bar in eagle nest nm and I'm on my 4th crown and water.. and ur right....1-11 and 5-7 with no hope for the future .,.. I feel like George Bailey....where's the bridge,....

Going from 1-11 to 5-7 is the very definition of hope for the future.

Do you have any clue what drama queen you are ?

CoachHBU2008
Bearish said:

PartyBear said:

I've always advocated let the coach do what he needs to do to get this team back to winning a md you're right. We are in the middle of he process and it sucks right now. With that being said there's nothing wrong with adjusting things when going through the process. I always thought the process had more to do with the mindset and philosophy of being tough minded, being physical, mistake free and competing. That doesn't have to change and that I trust him in. The offense whether we like it or not from the jump wasn't a good representation of this process. It's some hodge podge concession of what he wanted and what he thought the Baylor faithful wanted in a spread offense. This can and should be retooled. It lacks identity and is not taking on the identity he likes. When I think of his overall goal the word that comes to mind is dependable. No matter what you know what you're getting. It's not the case with this O. He and the rest of the coaching staff should think long and hard about adjusting what they are doing on that side of the ball and being honest with the what they do well and their blemishes and work on ironing them out or extracting them wholesale during the off-season instead of saying we are just need another year of learning to be physical and tough.

The offensive scheme is not college football quality. It's barley 6A high school football quality. And I'm not trying to drag the guy. I'm being very sincere. It's way to easy for defenses even bad ones to figure out. That is because it has no foundation. And they have figured if you hit Brewer you stop the offense.
PartyBear
If the 1-11 occurred under a different staff, this may be a valid point, Keysor. Last season should have been about like this one actually.

Coach who posts here should be working for our program in some capacity.
4th and Inches
Bearish said:

PartyBear said:

8-3... there are 3 games where we just missed it(i giess 2 if you dont count ISU)
Keyser Soze
PartyBear said:

If the 1-11 occurred under a different staff, this may be a valid point, Keysor. Last season should have been about like this one actually.

Based on your logic, a coach's fate is sealed after year one? or only in Rhule's case?

PartyBear
No you are actually by saying all a coach has to do is have a horrid winless or 1 win season and you can perpetually argue he has improved since his first year.

The benchmark is always are things better than under the predecessor.
Keyser Soze
PartyBear said:

No you are actually by saying all a coach has to do is have a horrid winless or 1 win season and you can perpetually argue he has improved since his first year.
That was not the question. The question was hope for the future.

In regards to hope for future:
Progression from year one to year two > average of first two years.

bear2be2
Stranger said:

Bearish said:

PartyBear said:

Maybe you should change your name to Rhule-ish
And maybe you should make like your name and become a stranger.

You said we were done winning after our second victory ... and third ... and fourth ... and fifth. You have no credibility where the game of football is concerned.
bularry
PartyBear said:

It will only be marginally better next season if it is any better. Marginally better than what we are now in year 3 doesn't cut it. He'll need to be fired a year from now.

You might be right, but he's getting 4 years minimum
PartyBear
We just need to avoid putting ourselves back into multi year rebuild just to be a bowl team which we are on the road to if next season is a duplication of this one. I'm making what I'm afraid is a very safe assumption here that we do not get the vitally important 6th win our program needs now for this season.
possible12
PartyBear said:

Wow
Stan Mikita
I like that Coach Matt Rhule has displayed constant kindness to opposing coaches.
Krieg
Bearish said:

PartyBear said:

This is such a stupid argument. It was used last year and it's being used again this year.

Good coaches don't want to be within a score in the 4th with a chance to win. Good coaches want to be ahead in the 1st quarter and build an insurmountable lead ASAP. There's your core difference between Rhule and competent coaches. He's excited that we could've won had everything gone just right. We'll never have a game where everything goes right, and in fact yesterday we had a TON of things go our way and still lost:

- 40 TCU players out, supposedly
- Played against their 3rd string QB that had zero experience and hadn't practiced thinking he'd play, and he had to play basically the entire game
- TCU was missing their best player because he's a criminal (allegedly)

Yet we still found a way to lose.
Sailor Bear
Krieg said:

Bearish said:

PartyBear said:

This is such a stupid argument. It was used last year and it's being used again this year.

Good coaches don't want to be within a score in the 4th with a chance to win. Good coaches want to be ahead in the 1st quarter and build an insurmountable lead ASAP. There's your core difference between Rhule and competent coaches. He's excited that we could've won had everything gone just right. We'll never have a game where everything goes right, and in fact yesterday we had a TON of things go our way and still lost:

- Played against their 3rd string QB that had zero experience and hadn't practiced thinking he'd play, and he had to play basically the entire game

I'm only arguing that we are improving. Perhaps at a slower pace than we'd all like, but most of us (myself included) were in denial about just how big of a rebuild this job was.

You can be disappointed in a loss, but there is nothing warranting firing this guy. Absolutely nothing. In fact, I challenge you to find one person outside of the CAB-loving Baylor bubble that agrees CMR is underperforming and should be fired. Any article, sound bite or video will do.
Redbrickbear
Stan Mikita said:

I like that Coach Matt Rhule has displayed constant kindness to opposing coaches.

Yea it was good to see him joking it up and slapping backs with Fat Pat after the game.

Just a bunch of good ole Christian good sportsmanship like the Regents want.

Being the lovable losers is what our leaders want most. And they have gotten just that for 80% of our football history.

BUGWBBear
oldbear69 said:

Just do it.... are we really afraid a new guy might go 0-12 or 4-8 ? Jersey don't fit ...we must acquit..... now...

Agreed. He should be fired out of a howitzer.
BigOleBear
No evidence thus far he's the guy. Took over a 6-6 team in '17 which still had a number of CAB recruits. Didn't play them or Zack Smith early enough, otherwise the Liberty and UTSA losses were avoidable. Finally put CAB players in as season unfolded and we pushed WVU and OU around pretty well. Most any smart coach would be licking their chops coming into Waco with a fair number of top recruits remaining and three pre season gimme games on the scheduled.

So, Is he a stubborn Northeasterner that thinks he knows football better than anyone, or was BU just sold bill of goods? I had some hope but as the games pass by I see a guy that isnt ready for P5 football. TU tried it with Charlie Strong and failed miserably. Verdict still out on Herman coming from UH. Rhule came out of the same Level 2 college football world.
Krieg
Bearish said:

Krieg said:

Bearish said:

PartyBear said:

I'm only arguing that we are improving. Perhaps at a slower pace than we'd all like, but most of us (myself included) were in denial about just how big of a rebuild this job was.

You can be disappointed in a loss, but there is nothing warranting firing this guy. Absolutely nothing. In fact, I challenge you to find one person outside of the CAB-loving Baylor bubble that agrees CMR is underperforming and should be fired. Any article, sound bite or video will do.

Subbing in a backup QB to hand the ball off and kill a drive shows he's an idiot. That's all I need to fire him when pairing it with our record and 9 points in his 23rd game.

We improve occasionally, but then we're completely awful again the next week. That's not real improvement.

In fact, the last time you could argue we looked good on offense was the last 3 drives against OSU. You know, the ones after he put the starting QB in for the first time and we scored every drive.

He makes consistently stupid decisions that cost us games and nearly cost us the OSU game. My biggest hope it's we beat Tech and he gets an offer from someone else and he bolts.
Krieg
BigOleBear said:

No evidence thus far he's the guy. Took over a 6-6 team in '17 which still had a number of CAB recruits. Didn't play them or Zack Smith early enough, otherwise the Liberty and UTSA losses were avoidable. Finally put CAB players in as season unfolded and we pushed WVU and OU around pretty well. Most any smart coach would be licking their chops coming into Waco with a fair number of top recruits remaining and three pre season gimme games on the scheduled.

So, Is he a stubborn Northeasterner that thinks he knows football better than anyone, or was BU just sold bill of goods? I had some hope but as the games pass by I see a guy that isnt ready for P5 football. TU tried it with Charlie Strong and failed miserably. Verdict still out on Herman coming from UH. Rhule came out of the same Level 2 college football world.

The facts in the first paragraph are too often ignored.
Krieg
Bearish said:

Krieg said:

Bearish said:

PartyBear said:

For someone that already hired him, though, you're right. We don't have a great reason to fire him.

For someone that thought this was a dumb hire the day it was made (me, for instance) I see a TON of reasons he shouldn't have been hired in the first place.

Maybe that's where we differ. Rhoads should be fired for hiring someone that wanted to nuke everything our team and on-field reputation was built on after lying about doing the opposite, though. He's the reason we hired a guy that keeps trying to cram square pegs in round holes.
CoachHBU2008
I'm curious to know who you thought should of been hired. Not trying to antagonize you. I sincerely would like to know. Thanks!
TheAgentGrant
You're hilarious. Dude, I've read you post and you know NOTHING about football.
Predicting wins at 6? So what. We should have won 8 games this year.
To be honest, we should have won 6 last year.
I would be surprised it we ever win 7 or 8.
The only way we will is IF they get an OC.
And this not knowing whether we are a pro style or a spread thing just isn't working.
Poor play calling, and we actually have the talent now to win.
Won't happen. If it does, I will be the first to say that I was wrong.
TheAgentGrant
If I had only met that really hot chick in my biology class, then I would have been miserable. as I found out yesterday at gym.
She was a sunshine pumper like the coach, and she got fat and divorced twice.
Saw her this weekend, and she's pushing 3 bills.
I ended up marrying a former PB Bunny. Oh well....Glad I took the risk.....
Sailor Bear
Krieg said:

Bearish said:

Krieg said:

Bearish said:

PartyBear said:

For someone that already hired him, though, you're right. We don't have a great reason to fire him.

For someone that thought this was a dumb hire the day it was made (me, for instance) I see a TON of reasons he shouldn't have been hired in the first place.

Maybe that's where we differ. Rhoads should be fired for hiring someone that wanted to nuke everything our team and on-field reputation was built on after lying about doing the opposite, though. He's the reason we hired a guy that keeps trying to cram square pegs in round holes.

You're definitely right about where we differ. I took a wait and see approach from the day we hired him, and I've been sleeping pretty well at night the past two years.

This is what Ive observed from several Baylor fans:

Fan A hated the hire from the beginning, then we lost to Liberty, and Fan A developed this "I told you so" mentality at that point. From then on out, every loss, questionable decision and even the things said at press conferences are used as justification for Fan A's hastily-prepared opinion, which was formed prior to the man stepping foot on campus. Fan A is doomed. Either the team loses, and all his b1tching is validated, or the team wins and he's backtracking from all his previous b1tching. Either way, that guy is a miserable SOB.

Fan B, on the other hand, decided that he'd have to give it some time (at least three years) before even being in a position to form an opinion. Fan B did see what Rhule did at Temple, though, and believed it was possible for him to do the same here. Then we lost to Liberty. At this point, Fan B realized the rebuilding job was much bigger than anyone thought, and prayed the team would show signs of continuous improvement a la Temple Football during 2013-2016. Fan B is a happier person because, at least at this point, it's impossible to be wrong. He hasn't laid claim to something he "knows" because he's watched hundreds of games on TV and is a badass at Madden.
BigOleBear
Not to keep bringing up the past but again, it's an indicator of who we're dealing with now. Watching his reluctance to put returning players, including Zack Smith, in the lineup last year tells me:
1) he didn't watch film of the players he inherited (prior years bowl win)... Not smart!
2) he is gonna do it his way and to hell with the schools recent success... typical Yankee mentality!
3) BO (spineless) R's told him no ties to '16 or before....No surprise there!

IMHO - He obviously didn't recognize the stock of talent still on the roster but instead, he stuck his young recruits in early which contributed to the dismal start. If he had done nothing more than start 22 returning players from the 16 team they would have for sure beat UTSA and Liberty and who knows what kind of momentum that may have generated. Kept the same offensive scheme the returning players were familiar with (just watch film dude) and then inject your style along the way. Very dumb to come in and radically change things especially for a team with so much recent success. Would have been different had he taken over a 0-12 Rice with 30+ years of non productivity.

Inexperienced coach with an attitude. Bad mix, including BOR's that are cool with consistent mediocrity. Afraid things ain't gonna change anytime soon.
TheAgentGrant
Dude, I met the guy with tears in my eyes in Houston, TX IN a private meeting. Madden? Who the hell plays Madden. I want him to win. You must be a Millennial. Don't tell me I am not giving anyone a chance. I played a long time. I came out of a very good program in HS, that spit out pro athletes like chiclets. I am not coming from "an intramural badass" side of things there Mr. FANB....I'm not a fan, I am a former player at BU that expects to win, but you keep waiting on that 4th season. Know who your talking to man....geez

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.