Football
Sponsored by

Justin Fuente

38,766 Views | 255 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wineguy89
Jorkel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearPa said:

I hope you're joking, if not, grow up.

Baylor posters on here hate Patterson correct?
boognish_bear
DTBear
McGuire - Love
Napier - Stud
Fuente - Meh
9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
It's Billy guys. Get used to it
boognish_bear
Jorkel said:

BearPa said:

Cowboy fans used to hate Deion
Timbear
Patterson has been a successful coach for many years, and has employed many many asst coaches in his career. All coaches know each other and have an unspoken bond. It's a fraternity. I'm sure all of his experience would be helpful.
Aliceinbubbleland
I'll take my chances with Napier who has revived a program over Fuentes.
DTBear
clubhi said:

It's Billy guys. Get used to it
If not McGuire then hell yeah. Opens up Louisiana. 10 win season. Downhill running game with spread passing. Physical team. Very measured guy. He seems like he outworks people. Not a talker. Kind of quiet. You can tell his mind is always going and he gets the big picture.

Him and Fickell were the two cant miss guys I thought. And I listened to everything on Youtube from ASU and ULa
Squatch Hunter
.500 coach in the weakest P5 division. Lost to BC (who was trounced by Kansas). Step back from Rhule.
RegentCoverup
I just like the name Napier.

Since there are probably more people named Fuente in Waco, than Napier, just just say we did this for....wait for it......diversity?

You're welcome.
VPI97
If you guys get Fu, good for you. I think you'll find that many, if not most, VT fans can't stand the guy. He took us to our first losing season since 1991 and might be one of the most clueless coaches out there in terms of optics. If he tries to bring his best friend Cornelsen along as OC, you should fight it. The guy's a bum and Fu won't get rid of him here.
boognish_bear
If Napier really just interviewed today I wonder why there was a week long wait to bring him in.
boognish_bear

Jorkel
boognish_bear said:

Jorkel said:

BearPa said:

Cowboy fans used to hate Deion

I personally don't care where they come from as
Long as they can coach and win games. However we are talking about Baylor fans on this forum
GoldenBear007
We can do better. He's had four years to prove himself at Virginia Tech, and seems to have regressed after starting strong. This would be a meh hire as others have said.
RegentCoverup
VPI97 said:

If you guys get Fu, good for you. I think you'll find that many, if not most, VT fans can't stand the guy. He took us to our first losing season since 1991 and might be one of the most clueless coaches out there in terms of optics. If he tries to bring his best friend Cornelsen along as OC, you should fight it. The guy's a bum and Fu won't get rid of him here.
I know a lot of VT fans. Love your college town. Great school.

Let's not take this negative by pawning off your coach, I won't hesitate to return him.
DanaDane
Someone finally wound Mosley up and now he finally started chirping.
boognish_bear
VT's recruiting class is behind ours right now according to 247. BU is at 54 and VT is at 63.

Last year VT was 26th and we were 35th.
RegentCoverup
DanaDane said:

Someone finally wound Mosley up and now he finally started chirping.
He's got church gossip in his veins that Wilshire Baptist man.
DanaDane
boognish_bear said:

VT's recruiting class is behind ours right now according to 247. BU is at 54 and VT is at 63.

Last year VT was 26th and we were 35th.
Didn't he just beat us out for 2021 4 star QB Dematrius Davis of North Shore a few weeks ago?
boognish_bear
Maybe we are finally getting close to an announcement now that there is some buzz out there...whoever it might end up being
gobears20
Staff
Back when the last coaching search was going on this is about the reaction Baylor fans gave Sonny Dykes
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
boognish_bear
Always have to take all these things with a grain of salt....but this is the latest from football scoop fwiw

https://footballscoop.com/news/update-on-baylors-search/

Update on Baylor's search

Scott RousselJanuary 14, 2020

Word began to circulate within the coaching community today that Baylor was close to a hire.

After plenty of discussions over the past few days, word was Baylor seems to know who they want.

Word initially was that Justin Fuente was the target; however, several coaches pointed out that Fuente was in the process of hiring coaches to work with him at Virginia Tech and that would indicate he was locked in at Virginia Tech.

However, this evening Pete Thamel has tweeted that Baylor appears to be targeting Fuente (see tweet below).

In addition to Fuente, sources tell FootballScoop Billy Napier interviewed today and Mack Rhoades was interested in speaking with LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda as well. Arkansas State head coach Blake Anderson and current Baylor assistant Joey McGuire are also believed to be candidates.

A hire "feels imminent" several industry sources told FootballScoop today.

As always, stay tuned to The Scoop for the latest coaching job information.
gobears20
Staff
This is what always crosses my mind

punt (@furrer4heisman) Tweeted:
report: justin fuente targeting extension and raise from virginia tech

boognish_bear
DanaDane
gobears20 said:

This is what always crosses my mind

punt (@furrer4heisman) Tweeted:
report: justin fuente targeting extension and raise from virginia tech

I'm confused. We have some claiming he's seeking a raise and extension while the others are saying he's about to get fired. How many people who are about to get fired have the leverage to get a raise and extension?
boognish_bear
gobears20
Staff
Look this is our soap opera lol
boognish_bear
Sic Em Bears
Their fan board seems to hope he goes.

https://247sports.com/college/virginia-tech/board/59428/Contents/fuente-interviewing-at-baylor--142203348/?page=2
DanaDane
Sic Em Bears said:

https://247sports.com/college/virginia-tech/board/59428/Contents/fuente-interviewing-at-baylor--142203348/?page=2
Our's hoped Rhule would go almost all the way up to the Big 12 championship game,so I'm not sure how meaningful fan sentiment is at predicting the success of a coach.
Mitch Henessey
DanaDane said:

Sic Em Bears said:

Our's hoped Rhule would go almost all the way up to the Big 12 championship game,so I'm not sure how meaningful fan sentiment is at predicting the success of a coach.
Yep, turns out most fans are idiots. Who could have guessed?
boognish_bear
Here's a little info about Napier that came out when was thought to be a candidate for Ole Miss....maybe he could bring back WRU

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2019/12/05/billy-napier-louisiana-ole-miss-coaching-search-arkansas-missouri/2618178001/

Who is Billy Napier? 5 things to know about the Louisiana coach

But who is Billy Napier? Here are five things to know about the coach:

1. Billy Napier is well connected

Since 2006, Napier has spent nearly every season working alongside big-time coaches. Napier worked as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Clemson under Dabo Swinney at the outset of Swinney's Clemson tenure and worked as an offensive analyst and wide receivers coach at Alabama under Nick Saban. He also worked at Arizona State under Todd Graham and at Colorado State under Jim McElwain, both of whom have led teams to Power 5 conference championship games.

2. Billy Napier has turned around Louisiana's offense

In 2017, the year before Napier got to Louisiana, the Ragin' Cajuns averaged 28.2 points per game and 5.78 yards per play. In Napier's first season, he improved those numbers to 31.9 points per game and 6.59 yards per play. This season, Napier's offense has averaged 38.8 points per game and 7.12 yards per play.

3. Louisiana coach has a knack for recruiting receivers

Even in Ole Miss' darkest days, the Rebels were always able to recruit wide receivers like A.J. Brown and D.K. Metcalf. That matches well with Napier's strengths. While working as the wide receivers coach and later offensive coordinator at Clemson, Napier helped bring in future NFL stars like Deandre Hopkins and Martavis Bryant. At Alabama, Napier was a primary recruiter for Jerry Jeudy, a projected first-round pick in the NFL Draft.

4. Billy Napier's success is unprecedented

Louisiana's 10 wins in 2019 is a school record. The Ragin' Cajuns hadn't even won eight games in a season since 1993, when the school won the Big West. The last time Louisiana won nine games in a season was in 1970 when the Ragin' Cajuns were still a Division II program.

5. Billy Napier is a trendy candidate

Napier's name has circulated as a potential candidate for bigger jobs for weeks. His name has popped up on message boards and Facebook groups whenever SEC jobs have opened up, whether it's Arkansas and Missouri.
Jacques Strap
Memphis was horrible and he turned them around. Va Tech thing may just be a bad fit, who knows.
boognish_bear
Very few sure things out there.

Coach O flopped at Ole Miss....and was the fall back hire at LSU....now has a Natty and coach of the year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.