Football
Sponsored by

Justin Fuente

38,772 Views | 255 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wineguy89
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bigkahunaww said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Bigkahunaww said:

boognish_bear said:

Cmon super Dave.

Aranda as HC
McGuire as D.C.
Napier as OC

A guy can dream can't he ?
Yeah, Napier is going to leave a head coaching job to be a coordinator. Sheesh.
Napier made just under nine hundred thousand last year.
You don't think he would take a pay raise to one point five mil, AND get to coach with the big boys.
At forty years old, it would be a huge stepping stone for him.

I believe UL already has or has plans to renegotiate his contract
RiskyBizz Bear
DTBear said:

CoachHBU2008 said:

Timbear said:

We are a college team. We pay our HC to win College games. Whatever O can do that based on Baylor's 100 year history of not recruiting many 4 or 5 * players is the O we should use. Zeno would love the spread.

Not this spread. Watch the recent tape. Not all spreads are equal. And we already run a spread.
You watch the Belk Bowl and think we should be hiring Mark Stoops and not Fuentes

I WOULD like to hire Mark Stoops.

Think he keeps his hand on offense and defense and has held his own in a place tough to recruit to, against the best.
Knows to hire the right assts.

I think his players will be upgraded in TX and he has shown he can do more with less.

I'd like him more than Fuentes.
BearlySober
Team America said:

I'm a no on Fuente and put him in the same category as Fedora. He only had to stop ONE guy in the bowl game and could not do it. Instead, he lets a WR turned QB rush for 233.

Yeah, but Bowden also rushed for 99 against UGA, which is more than we did as an entire team. He's a very good runner, it just took Kentucky a while to figure that out. Once they did he ran over just about everyone.

I think Fuente is a good coach, but he just doen't move the needle much for me. He seems like a perennial 8-4 guy that has some years better and some years worse...and there's nothing wrong with that. He'll make a good living for a long time, but if we are going to pay $5M+, 8-4 should be the low bar. And I was in school during the Steele years - all I wanted was for us to compete for a bowl game every now and then...how things have changed!
gobears20
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
boognish_bear
gobears20 said:

I was wondering about this also.

It is one thing when you are very successful and people are naturally coming after you.... But it is something else when you might be on a little bit of shaky ground And try to pull this
Branch155
boognish_bear said:

gobears20 said:

I was wondering about this also.

It is one thing when you are very successful and people are naturally coming after you.... But it is something else when you might be on a little bit of shaky ground And try to pull this
This is par for the course based on what I've seen from Fuente
gobears20
Staff
Doesn't seem real loyal but what coach is now

Also probably his agents fault also
Team America
BearlySober said:

Team America said:

I'm a no on Fuente and put him in the same category as Fedora. He only had to stop ONE guy in the bowl game and could not do it. Instead, he lets a WR turned QB rush for 233.

Yeah, but Bowden also rushed for 99 against UGA, which is more than we did as an entire team. He's a very good runner, it just took Kentucky a while to figure that out. Once they did he ran over just about everyone.

I think Fuente is a good coach, but he just doen't move the needle much for me. He seems like a perennial 8-4 guy that has some years better and some years worse...and there's nothing wrong with that. He'll make a good living for a long time, but if we are going to pay $5M+, 8-4 should be the low bar. And I was in school during the Steele years - all I wanted was for us to compete for a bowl game every now and then...how things have changed!

He had a month to prepare for it. It wasn't a surprise what Kentucky was going to do.
BearlySober
Team America said:

BearlySober said:

Team America said:

He had a month to prepare for it. It wasn't a surprise what Kentucky was going to do.
Agree, and Kentucky also had a month to prepare for VT's schemes...it does work both ways.

I don't disagree with you about Fuente, I just think you were discounting Bowden's running abilities.
boognish_bear
Team America
BearlySober said:

Team America said:

BearlySober said:

Team America said:

Agree, and Kentucky also had a month to prepare for VT's schemes...it does work both ways.

I don't disagree with you about Fuente, I just think you were discounting Bowden's running abilities.

Not discounting Bowden, been watching him his whole UK career. Baylor and UK are my two teams. Bowden is a hell of an athlete.

I get what you are saying, but I feel like that if a defense can make an offense one dimensional the defense should have a significant edge. UK is not Army or Navy, they don't practice that style year in and year out.
boognish_bear
Gary Ps Sweat Rag
DTBear said:

I will change my mind if this is the guy but right now my thoughts are "meh"
BearlySober
Gary Ps Sweat Rag said:

DTBear said:

I will change my mind if this is the guy but right now my thoughts are "meh"

Lol I first ready your name as "Gary Ps Sweet Rag" - made me feel all kinds of dirty.
Gary Ps Sweat Rag
Hahaha nah just here to help our favorite Ft Worth coach stay focused on the sidelines. Cant call plays with sweat getting in your eyes
boognish_bear
BUmoneymaker
I really hope its not him

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
gobears20
Staff
Dan Wolken (@DanWolken) Tweeted:
My understanding of the situation is that Fuente does have legit interest in Baylor. Whether he takes the job is unclear, especially b/c he's very pleased with his staff overhaul and thinks next years VT team will be very good https://t.co/lObUemo0Xu

canoso
ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

Bear8084 said:

Timbear said:

Coach, the spread that Rhule ran was not effective enough, obviously. We want the spread that scores points.

It was good enough to be 11-3.
I would argue that 11-3 was four games shy of our ceiling
I bow to you. May your tribe increase.
boognish_bear
Coop recognizes that this new version of BU can do better....

xiledinok
It will add to the regents' lore if they hire the Virginia Tech coach.
boognish_bear
I see Hokie fans on twitter talking about going after Napier if we take Fuente....that would be hard to stomach
Aliceinbubbleland
boognish_bear said:

I see Hokie fans on twitter talking about going after Napier if we take Fuente....that would be hard to stomach
Please no. O.M.G. pretty please no to Fuente now.
RegentCoverup
boognish_bear said:

Fuente is a good dude on a lot of levels, but I don't think he's the best candidate.

This is a search very analogous to a lot of good programs, they want to promote someone internally and fans don't trust outsiders, but the market doesn't have a lot of quality free agents. Rhule was a free agent, he won, that spoils us, but the truth is, it's just a tight market. We pay well, but so do a lot of programs.

Whomever brings the best assistants, wins.
RegentCoverup
Aliceinbubbleland said:

boognish_bear said:

You will take FUENTE and you will LIKE it! People who criticize don't want to win, don't you know that?
Aliceinbubbleland
I've sworn off this program so many times with so many disappointments that one more time won't matter lol. The first time I quit was the day we lost to aggy in 1956. We were both ranked and they had that damned John David Crow. It took me a month to get over quitting.

I quit again and gave up my season tickets after we lost to aggy in 1986. I decided we would never win big.

I came back once again only to quit when they fired Briles. It wasn't until last year I started paying attention again.

But here I am again on pins and needles waiting for the new coach.
Art Vandelay
Aliceinbubbleland said:

I've sworn off this program so many times with so many disappointments that one more time won't matter lol. The first time I quit was the day we lost to aggy in 1956. We were both ranked and they had that damned John David Crow. It took me a month to get over quitting.

I quit again and gave up my season tickets after we lost to aggy in 1986. I decided we would never win big.

I came back once again only to quit when they fired Briles. It wasn't until last year I started paying attention again.

Yep, was at the '86 game in aggieland. Blew a 17-0 lead if my recollection serves. Kevin Murry and Rod Bernstein killed in 2nd half. That was rough.
BUBBFAN
Aliceinbubbleland said:

boognish_bear said:

We agree on this.
Jorkel
Aliceinbubbleland said:

I'm doing some math in my head...are you 80 something?
Aliceinbubbleland
Yes
DanaDane
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Yes
You're Butch Henry!!!!!!
Aliceinbubbleland
LOL. No. JHH
DST
One of Fuente's staffers has started following Baylor players and recruits on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Beau_Davidson
RegentCoverup
Not gonna lie, that's interesting.
Big_Pumpin
I'm not going to be excited about Fuente. Good news is my excitement has nothing to do with how the team will actually perform.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.