Football
Sponsored by

Justin Fuente

38,767 Views | 255 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wineguy89
DanaDane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now wait just a second. I just went back and investigated multiple other threads. Several people in this thread talking about how bad Fuente is because of underperforming at VT are quoted in multiple other threads prior and during the Natty telling everyone you can't judge Coach O by his underperforming time at Ole Miss.

This is why I love fan forums.
Futbol Bear

Did anyone happen to notice the last line in the ESPN article?
Sources told ESPN that Boise State coach Bryan Harsin is also a candidate to become Baylor's coach.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28486139/virginia-tech-justin-fuente-favorites-baylor-job

boognish_bear
Futbol Bear said:

Sources told ESPN that Boise State coach Bryan Harsin is also a candidate to become Baylor's coach.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28486139/virginia-tech-justin-fuente-favorites-baylor-job

Nope....I've hardly heard his name at all. I thought he might be a candidate for WSU.
Futbol Bear

If you check his Coaching tenure, you will see that he tends to win a lot - can he mirror that success with a P5 program?
CoachHBU2008
That's a no for me. Nothing against Coach Fuentes, but his teams under achieved. His offense has become predictable and has regressed. Are we so in love with HUNH that we are willing to pick up just anybody who runs it. It hasn't been affective at Tech. It had a good run at Memphis, but if you look at what it does to the quarterback, our qbs would regress in their responsibility. Single read plays. Simplified so quaterbacks don't have to think. Paxton Lynch was severely under developed in this offense at Memphis. Zeno came here to get developed for the league. Not to play pinball on grass. I don't say hyperbolic things ever on this board, but this would be a poor hire if he is given anywhere close to Rhule money. He won't be even bringing in a defensive coordinator and his teams have had discipline problems on and off the field both at Tech and at Memphis. Anyone who has seen his offense recently knows that it isn't as dynamic as you have seen in past seasons. And this has nothing to do with McGuire for me. If he is the guy I hope he proves me wrong and would gladly eat crow if he does. But for me it's a no. Offenses are going away from this style. Going tempo isn't nearly as important as having creative and savvy play callers. Anyone who was watching football the past few years know that Tech's offensive attack was not creative or dynamic. I would not blow things up for this hire. For me if it isn't Aranda at this point out of the now 4 coaches we are pinpointing, I don't see the point of hiring from outside.

Did we even have a shot with Brady?
boognish_bear
CoachHBU2008 said:

Did we even have a shot with Brady?

That would be interesting if CMR and Mack were squaring off over Brady
CoachHBU2008
Futbol Bear said:

Harsin would definitely be a better hire than Fuentes. But is he leaving Boise? And are we paying him close to what we paid Rhule to get him? I'm not sure of the likelihood of this happening.
Timbear
We are a college team. We pay our HC to win College games. Whatever O can do that based on Baylor's 100 year history of not recruiting many 4 or 5 * players is the O we should use. Zeno would love the spread.
CoachHBU2008
Timbear said:

We are a college team. We pay our HC to win College games. Whatever O can do that based on Baylor's 100 year history of not recruiting many 4 or 5 * players is the O we should use. Zeno would love the spread.

Not this spread. Watch the recent tape. Not all spreads are equal. And we already run a spread.
RegentCoverup
Anyone else hear this guys' name and think Daisy Fuentes?

Just me?

Ok, I'll show myself out.
DTBear
CoachHBU2008 said:

Timbear said:

Not this spread. Watch the recent tape. Not all spreads are equal. And we already run a spread.
You watch the Belk Bowl and think we should be hiring Mark Stoops and not Fuentes
Futbol Bear

I don't have a clue - The ESPN blurb is the first time that I have read his name being associated BU.
CoachHBU2008
I look at the totality of his stead at VT. Bowl games can be deceiving. Some times it has to do with matchups. Some teams don't show up for them. I am definitely not judging the offense on just one game. Look at the offenses in the games played during his tenure. Look at his offense on prime time games. You be the judge. Don't take my word for it.

It does not do enough schematic wise that will catch any one off guard. That's just the facts. Big XII defenses have seen better versions of this. Plus with the discipline issues the teams have mainly on the field, I'm just not comfortable with the hire. But that's just my opinion.
Timbear
Coach, the spread that Rhule ran was not effective enough, obviously. We want the spread that scores points.
xiledinok
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Anyone else hear this guys' name and think Daisy Fuentes?

Just me?

Ok, I'll show myself out.
Memory lane with those thoughts.
xiledinok
Timbear said:

Coach, the spread that Rhule ran was not effective enough, obviously. We want the spread that scores points.
Timbear, the NFL liked Rhule. Full blown Jack rabbit spread gets killed against speed. I'd prefer an offense that has won something nationally.
CoachHBU2008
I want any offense that wins games. I don't care if it's the spread or the wing T. As long as we are winning I'm a happy bear. But if it's points we are basing this search on compare the point differential between us and our opponents and VT and their opponents the past couple of years. There is no real difference.

Do you mean to tell me that you would seriously be okay with this hire, without a defensive coordinator, and who has shown in two stops that players are undisciplined on the field? No amount of points matter that much to me. Even if they are light shows. I think some of us are to concerned about how our wins should look like. We need to get someone who is the right cultural as well as schematic fit for our team. I don't know. Something just tells me in 3 years we will be at this again. Hope I'm wrong if he is the hire.
DanaDane said:

Now wait just a second. I just went back and investigated multiple other threads. Several people in this thread talking about how bad Fuente is because of underperforming at VT are quoted in multiple other threads prior and during the Natty telling everyone you can't judge Coach O by his underperforming time at Ole Miss.

Then why not give Kevin Steele another run while we're at it? Steele didn't have these kinds of resources back then. He's one of the top DCs in the country.
Futbol Bear said:

I did. I just came here to note the same thing. Doubt it'll happen, but that would be the top-name hire hire in Baylor history. If Nixon is a strikeout, Fuente is a single, McGuire is a double, and Napier is a triple...
Bear8084
Timbear said:

It was good enough to be 11-3.
boognish_bear
Krieg
DTBear said:

CoachHBU2008 said:

Timbear said:

You watch the Belk Bowl and think we should be hiring Mark Stoops and not Fuentes

Watch the Belk Bowl? People did that?
Krieg
Bear8084 said:

Timbear said:

It was awful and got worse the longer we ran it, which is hard to do. Our D made up for it but that was likely a one-year anomaly due to all of our experience and talent on that side of the ball that is now completely gone.
Bigkahunaww
boognish_bear said:

Cmon super Dave.

Aranda as HC
McGuire as D.C.
Napier as OC

A guy can dream can't he ?
Living the American dream in central Texas !
ColoradoGRN&GLD
Bear8084 said:

Timbear said:

I would argue that 11-3 was four games shy of our ceiling
huntdude365
ColoradoGRN&GLD said:

Bear8084 said:

Timbear said:

I would argue that 11-3 was four games shy of our ceiling

Yeah, it's 4 games shy of ANY teams maximum win total and therefore ceiling, assuming they scheduled the same total number of games we did.
"If an expectation of greatness is too high of a standard for you, we can't be friends." -Me
Dman
xiledinok said:

Timbear said:

Timbear, the NFL liked Rhule. Full blown Jack rabbit spread gets killed against speed. I'd prefer an offense that has won something nationally.

Like LSU, Clemson....etc. That wasn't Nixons offense. Not even Alabama is running Nixon's offense anymore
gobears20
Staff

Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
xiledinok
Dman said:

xiledinok said:

Timbear said:

Like LSU, Clemson....etc. That wasn't Nixons offense. Not even Alabama is running Nixon's offense anymore
I didn't prefer our offense, which has to be ran with first rate quarterback.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Bigkahunaww said:

boognish_bear said:

Cmon super Dave.

Aranda as HC
McGuire as D.C.
Napier as OC

Yeah, Napier is going to leave a head coaching job to be a coordinator. Sheesh.
Bigkahunaww
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Bigkahunaww said:

boognish_bear said:

Cmon super Dave.

Aranda as HC
McGuire as D.C.
Napier as OC

Napier made just under nine hundred thousand last year.
You don't think he would take a pay raise to one point five mil, AND get to coach with the big boys.
At forty years old, it would be a huge stepping stone for him.
Living the American dream in central Texas !
Squatch Hunter
DanaDane said:

Sir, if you are expecting consistency, logic, and rational thought, you are in the wrong place.
bear2be2
Bigkahunaww said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Bigkahunaww said:

boognish_bear said:

Cmon super Dave.

Aranda as HC
McGuire as D.C.
Napier as OC

Napier made just under nine hundred thousand last year.
You don't think he would take a pay raise to one point five mil, AND get to coach with the big boys.
At forty years old, it would be a huge stepping stone for him.

Napier has already coached the big boys. He was offensive coordinator at Clemson and an offensive analyst for Saban at Alabama.

He's not going to leave Louisiana for an assistant coaching job of any kind. His next stop will be a Power 5 head coaching job one way or another.
Texasjeremy
TEXAS RECRUITS THAT HAVE SIGNED WITH JUSTIN FUENTE (AS A HEAD COACH)

MEMPHIS
80.59 (#96 OG) - Micah Simmons (Lindale)
77.93 (#18 S) - Anthony Watson (Blinn College)
76.67 (#153 S) - Jordan Burton (Longview) - Went JUCO instead, then to Oklahoma State
75.83 (#123 TE) - Daniel Montiel (Arlington)
NR (DT QB) - Eric Matthews (Brookshire Royal)

84.74 (#7 JC WDE) - Kewan Alfred (Trinity Valley CC)
82.81 (#34 APB) - Marquis Warford (San Antonio Madison)
80.33 (#28 JC OT) - Nykiren Wellington (Trinity Valley CC)
78.84 (#132 RB) - Doroland Dorceus (Spring)
77.50 (#137 DT) - Cortez Crosby (Commerce)
77.11 (#43 JC WR) - Adrian Henderson (Trinity Valley CC)
76.4 (#196 OT) - Patrick Winfield (League City Clear Springs)

83.35 (#58 WDE) - Isadore Outing (Spring Dekaney)
82.01 (#61 PS QB) - Clay Holgorsen (Katy Taylor)
81.1 (#86 OG) - Trevon Tate (Galena Park North Shore)

81.38 (#211 WR) - Tre Hamilton (Humble Atascocita)
77.90 (#115 SDE) - Khalil Johnson (Dallas Kimball)
77.90 (#301 WR) - Kedarian Jones (Dallas Kimball)

VIRGINIA TECH
91.09 (#1 JC DT QB) - Jerod Evans (Trinity Valley CC)

None

None

None

89.53 (#14 WDE) - Alec Bryant (Alvin Shadow Creek)
87.21 (#25 WDE) - Robert Wooten (Stafford)

2021 (Committed)
94.32 (#4 DT QB) - Dematrius Davis (Galena Park North Shore)
Team America
I'm a no on Fuente and put him in the same category as Fedora. He only had to stop ONE guy in the bowl game and could not do it. Instead, he lets a WR turned QB rush for 233.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.