Football
Sponsored by

Justin Fuente

38,777 Views | 255 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wineguy89
Branch155
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here's my view from ACC country: Please, no on Fuente.

He had 5 players enter the transfer portal this year. Here's an article on his subpar recruiting class this year:

https://www.dailypress.com/sports/college/virginia-tech/vp-sp-hokies-early-signing-period-20191217-tebpb4vpcfgqpoud4yxnr7zoja-story.html

The recruiting class is ranked 63rd in the nation, and next to last in the ACC.

2018 was a bad season for VT. There was serious infighting, with some VT players hoping they would lose, and lots of players in the transfer portal. Here's SI's article:

https://www.si.com/college/2019/08/15/virginia-tech-transfers-unity-justin-fuente

Full disclosure: They seemed to turn around things this year, but it took a near-player mutiny to get Fuente's attention.

Yes, he has won at VT. It wasn't easy following a legend in Frank Beamer, and he's done a credible job. But he has always impressed me as a bit of a jerk (maybe just sour grapes since I'm a UNC fan).

I'm REALLY hoping this is just a feint by Rhoades, or that Fuente is playing us to get more money from VT
boognish_bear
It seems like Fuente would be a relatively safe hire and would probably be a winning coach here....but maybe not a "next level" coach.

I think I'd rather roll the dice on the potentially greater upside with Napier....even though he's unproven at the P5 level. He accomplished historic things for UL in a short time.

UL had the 10th ranked scoring offense nationally and 18th ranked scoring defense.....but of course they are playing mostly non-P5 schools.

Branch155
One more thought: If Fuente leaves, VT is in a world of hurt. Bud Foster, their long-time, very good DC retired this season. I wonder if the uncertainty of new staff makes them more likely to go all in to keep Fuente.
Branch155
boognish_bear said:

It seems like Fuente would be a relatively safe hire and would probably be a winning coach here....but maybe not a "next level" coach.

I think I'd rather roll the dice on the potentially greater upside with Napier....even though he's unproven at the P5 level. He accomplished historic things for UL in a short time.

UL had the 10th ranked scoring offense nationally and 18th ranked scoring defense.....but of course they are playing mostly non-P5 schools.
This. Fuente wouldn't be a disastrous hire. He did great at Memphis, and he's done well enough at VT. Another concern I'd have is whether he would make the jump to the SEC if the chance arose.

To your last point on Napier, the counter is that they are playing against teams with similar talent levels, and excelling. Their only losses were to Miss St and two losses to App State, which ended up ranked 19th.
boognish_bear
Branch155 said:

boognish_bear said:

To your last point on Napier, the counter is that they are playing against teams with similar talent levels, and excelling. Their only losses were to Miss St and two losses to App State, which ended up ranked 19th.

Agree....he's facing lesser talent than P5 competition....but he's also using lesser talent so it's kind of a wash.
RegentCoverup
boognish_bear said:

Branch155 said:

boognish_bear said:

Agree....he's facing lesser talent than P5 competition....but he's also using lesser talent so it's kind of a wash.
I call this, the Klieman effect.
DanaDane
He had 1 winning year out of 2. Why should I not think he's a one hit wonder?
boognish_bear
Ok....I've talked myself into Napier

#napierorbust
boognish_bear
DanaDane said:

I don't think you make the statistical jumps they did by having a lucky year....but there is certainly some risk grabbing someone early in their career
Stretch
Fuente has always been a QB coach and a OC. Coached Andy Dalton and I believe was at least the co offensive coordinator at TCU when they finish #2 in the nation. He also coached Paxton Lynch. He also has the North Shore all world QB commuted to VT that just won his second D1, 6A championship. Kid is a baller and will make a huge lift to anyone's program almost immediately. I would think he might make the jump here if Fuente is hired.
boognish_bear
DanaDane
boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

I don't think you make the statistical jumps they did by having a lucky year....but their is certainly some risk grabbing someone early in their career
I'm also having a hard time reconciling him being a young up-comer OC who set all kinds of school records at Clemson in 2009, yet was fired 1 year later. Was it personal issues? Very odd that a record setting OC would get fired solely based on 1 year.
Branch155
DanaDane said:

Fair question. Napier's predecessor went 15-22 in his last 3 years. The turnaround is nice
Branch155
DanaDane said:

boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

I don't think you make the statistical jumps they did by having a lucky year....but their is certainly some risk grabbing someone early in their career
I'm also having a hard time reconciling him being a young up-comer OC who set all kinds of school records at Clemson in 2009, yet was fired 1 year later. Was it personal issues? Very odd that a record setting OC would get fired solely based on 1 year.
The offense struggled, and he got fired. Dabo didn't have nearly the talent in 2010 that he has today. Napier paid his dues after he got fired. Maybe he just wasn't ready
DanaDane
Branch155 said:

DanaDane said:

Fair question. Napier's predecessor went 15-22 in his last 3 years. The turnaround is nice
No question. The overall turnaround and 2019 are very impressive.
DanaDane
Branch155 said:

DanaDane said:

boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

The offense struggled, and he got fired. Dabo didn't have nearly the talent in 2010 that he has today. Napier paid his dues after he got fired. Maybe he just wasn't ready
Yes. Obviously went back to the drawing board and worked his way up again, which is commendable. I just didn't understand why he would get canned after a year. Was afraid it was a discipline issue or something. Glad to know it wasn't.
boognish_bear
DanaDane said:

boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

From wiki:

When Swinney was promoted from interim head coach to full-time head coach after the 2008 season, Napier was promoted to offensive coordinator while retaining his duties as QB coach.[5] After a 2009 season where Clemson would go on to win the ACC Atlantic Division behind the strength of Napier's offense that scored a then school record 436 points,[6] Napier's 2010 offense output declined mightily ultimately leading to Napier's termination at the end of the 2010 season.[7] Within only a few weeks of being dismissed as OC at Clemson, Napier was contacted by Nick Saban from Alabama and offered a job as an offensive analyst.
boognish_bear
A little more insight from an article at the time it happened:

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article14390552.html

Sunday's decision might be an indication Swinney is willing to offer a veteran coordinator complete autonomy in running the offense, much as Swinney did with his hiring of Kevin Steele as defensive coordinator.

During the last two seasons, Swinney often signaled in offensive plays and admitted he occasionally changed calls. In overall offensive philosophy Swinney wanted to implement some of his own ideas.

The decision also suggests Swinney believes there is little leeway for error going forward in regard to his own security. Former Clemson coach Tommy West was fired in 1998 in his second losing season.

In regard to Xs and Ox, there were also thought to be some philosophical splits between Swinney and the former Furman quarterback. Some observers perceived Clemson's offensive surge in the second half of 2009 in part related to Swinney allowing Napier more authority over the offense. Swinney is a believer in the spread, but in the second half of 2009 Clemson deployed more power formations.

Last season Swinney and Napier also were involved in a heated exchange during a practice.

Napier, who was the recruiting coordinator in 2007-08, was handicapped this year with a lack of difference-making skill players and a regression in play by quarterback Kyle Parker.
PartyBear
If Fuentes' DC recently retired that means he would not be bringing one. If hired he may retain Snow.
Branch155
boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

From wiki:

When Swinney was promoted from interim head coach to full-time head coach after the 2008 season, Napier was promoted to offensive coordinator while retaining his duties as QB coach.[5] After a 2009 season where Clemson would go on to win the ACC Atlantic Division behind the strength of Napier's offense that scored a then school record 436 points,[6] Napier's 2010 offense output declined mightily ultimately leading to Napier's termination at the end of the 2010 season.[7] Within only a few weeks of being dismissed as OC at Clemson, Napier was contacted by Nick Saban from Alabama and offered a job as an offensive analyst.
Odd coincidence: Clemson's DC in 2009 was one Kevin Steele.

Anyway, Clemson's QB in 2009 was Kyle Parker, an average QB. They did have CJ Spiller at RB, who was all-world. In 2010, they still had Parker, but no Spiller. No good. Next year, Tajh Boyd took over at QB, starting Dabo's run of great QBs. I bet if Napier had stayed, he would have looked a lot "smarter" after 2011.
Branch155
PartyBear said:

If Fuentes' DC recently retired that means he would not be bringing one. If hired he may retain Snow.
Hasn't the Snow boat sailed to Carolina?
Coach2Broker
All I can tell, is that no one is sold on anyone. Great, gotta love sports!
DanaDane
PartyBear said:

Or, if Snow is truly going to Charlotte as reported, offer the DC position to McGuire and allow him to gain experience as a coordinator. Surely that would help pacify the McGuire social media team and benefit him for the future as well.
DanaDane
Branch155 said:

boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

From wiki:

Anyway, Clemson's QB in 2009 was Kyle Parker, an average QB. They did have CJ Spiller at RB, who was all-world. In 2010, they still had Parker, but no Spiller. No good. Next year, Tajh Boyd took over at QB, starting Dabo's run of great QBs. I bet if Napier had stayed, he would have looked a lot "smarter" after 2011.
And equally odd, Steele was fired in 2012 after giving up the most yardage in a single game in Clemson history in a bowl game loss to .................WVU.
Aliceinbubbleland
Branch155 said:

PartyBear said:

Hasn't the Snow boat sailed to Carolina?
Yes.
boognish_bear
Branch155 said:

boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

From wiki:

Yep....it's often hard to tease out how much is coaching talent and how much is player talent.

Did Joe Brady make Burrow or did Burrow make Joe Brady?
Squatch Hunter
DanaDane said:

boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

I agree but Dabo fired Steele after one game. I hate what Steele did to BU football but he has been a decent coordinator at Auburn. He was the only DC who managed to contain LSU this year, Dabo may have a quick hook with coaches. If it is Napier vs Fuente, I prefer the former.
DanaDane
Squatch Hunter said:

DanaDane said:

boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

I agree but Dabo fired Steele after one game. I hate what Steele did to BU football but he has been a decent coordinator at Auburn. He was the only DC who managed to contain LSU this year, Dabo may have a quick hook with coaches. If it is Napier vs Fuente, I prefer the former.
Makes sense, particularly since that was early in Dabo's career when he didn't have much leverage with the AD or administration like he does now.
DTBear
Branch155 said:

boognish_bear said:

This. Fuente wouldn't be a disastrous hire. He did great at Memphis, and he's done well enough at VT. Another concern I'd have is whether he would make the jump to the SEC if the chance arose.

26-23 at Memphis
Timbear
Fuentes seems like a blah average nothing special HC. Napier seems like a guy who could get folks fired up and rolling.
BUbackerinET
Noooo, that would be horrible-we need a defensive minded coach - we just lost our awesome DC, and need stability on that side of the ball
SIC EM 94
Stretch said:

Fuente has always been a QB coach and a OC. Coached Andy Dalton and I believe was at least the co offensive coordinator at TCU when they finish #2 in the nation. He also coached Paxton Lynch. He also has the North Shore all world QB commuted to VT that just won his second D1, 6A championship. Kid is a baller and will make a huge lift to anyone's program almost immediately. I would think he might make the jump here if Fuente is hired.

Hiring a coach (hopefully for the long term) because of the possibility a specific player may come here, is a horrible reason to pursue Fuentes.
RegentCoverup
Squatch Hunter said:

DanaDane said:

boognish_bear said:

DanaDane said:

I've been forced to watch more Steele football than I will ever admit on a witness stand, but I'll say this.

He has been a success at Auburn.
That being said, he has some of the most brutally athletic and physical guys on his defense than just about any college fb team. So yeah, it's both.
TeamPlayer
boognish_bear said:

#napierorbust

Wrong answer. Keep talking to yourself and come back with a different hashtag.
boognish_bear
TeamPlayer said:

boognish_bear said:

#napierorbust

Wrong answer. Keep talking to yourself and come back with a different hashtag.

Lucky for you Mack is not returning my calls tonight

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.