Football
Sponsored by

Justin Fuente

38,923 Views | 255 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wineguy89
RegentCoverup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big_Pumpin said:

I'm not going to be excited about Fuente. Good news is my excitement has nothing to do with how the team will actually perform.
Sometimes the best plan is a backup plan. I don't give a **** what the sunshine pumpers think, it doesn't look like we had a plan. But I like Fuente the person, I would love for him to come in and be crazy successful. Even just for his sake.

As I've said, the person that succeeds won't be the best resume, but will be the person that comes in and build the best organization of assistants.
boognish_bear
Big_Pumpin said:

I'm not going to be excited about Fuente. Good news is my excitement has nothing to do with how the team will actually perform.
I'm right there with you...it feels like he's reached his ceiling as a coach and it doesn't look like that ceiling includes having a Top 10 program....much less a Top 5 program like Mack has said he's aiming for.

I'll be a loyal fan and will get on board with whoever Mack picks....but a Fuente hire feels like a big wet fart to me.
boognish_bear
DST said:

One of Fuente's staffers has started following Baylor players and recruits on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Beau_Davidson
Not a good sign at all...
RegentCoverup
boognish_bear said:

I'm right there with you...it feels like he's reached his ceiling as a coach and it doesn't look like that ceiling includes having a Top 10 program....much less a Top 5 program like Mack has said he's aiming for.

He might have meant Top 5 in the Big12?
boognish_bear
DST said:

One of Fuente's staffers has started following Baylor players and recruits on Twitter.

In addition to that he's being followed by our OC Nixon and James Blanchard...those could just be collegial relationships....but...kind of coincidental
57Bear
Jorkel said:

I'm doing some math in my head...are you 80 something?
When you become an octogenarian, you come to grips with the realization that age is just a number.
DanaDane
boognish_bear said:

DST said:

In addition to that he's being followed by our OC Nixon and James Blanchard...those could just be collegial relationships....but...kind of coincidental
Please. No Nixon. Join your college roomie Rhule in Carolina.
RegentCoverup
57Bear said:

Jorkel said:

I'm doing some math in my head...are you 80 something?
When you become an octogenarian, you come to grips with the realization that age is just a number.
I like hanging around you guys. The young folks haven't seen enough to know anything.
Bearsnarl
Aliceinbubbleland said:

I've sworn off this program so many times with so many disappointments that one more time won't matter lol. The first time I quit was the day we lost to aggy in 1956. We were both ranked and they had that damned John David Crow. It took me a month to get over quitting.

I quit again and gave up my season tickets after we lost to aggy in 1986. I decided we would never win big.

I came back once again only to quit when they fired Briles. It wasn't until last year I started paying attention again.

But here I am again on pins and needles waiting for the new coach.
Hey Alice! I saw the Gaggie game in '56. Of course I'm in my 80s too. When did you graduate?
BearlySober
DST said:

How can you tell he started following Baylor players and recruits? He is following 5000+ people...do you just scroll through all of them?
RegentCoverup
BearlySober said:

DST said:

How can you tell he started following Baylor players and recruits? He is following 5000+ people...do you just scroll through all of them?
Listed by most recent. He even started following Kenny Yeboah.

txbear11
Looks like the staffer is from TX. His profile says " l/H-town (Katy HS, Blinn College, UNT) #Hokies #TX2VT". Maybe he has other connections to some of the players
RegentCoverup
i also found it interesting that Thayer Evans is no longer working in journalism after a few of his wonderful SI pieces.
RegentCoverup
txbear11 said:

Looks like the staffer is from TX. His profile says " l/H-town (Katy HS, Blinn College, UNT) #Hokies #TX2VT". Maybe he has other connections to some of the players
Gotta be some of it, but Kenny Yehoah? That seems strategic.
boognish_bear
He also "liked" this ODB tweet

boognish_bear
He "liked" this also.... So maybe he just keeps tabs on football in Texas

Timbear
I just doubt Rhoades will bring in a charismatic coach that will get players and fans fired up. I hope Napier makes it.
Futureman
He's following Dick Trickle, too. Big Deal?
RegentCoverup
My VT grad colleague said we offered and he has until tomorrow to accept.

Can't speak for our end, but it's a full on disaster on their end,

Whatever discussion that's happening could still unravel, but if no tomorrow then I think baylor moves on.
boognish_bear

Russell Gym
A very unfortunate turn of events, if true.
boognish_bear
RegentCoverup
Not sure what he did to piss them off, but I would take Napier over him.

I dont know how he goes back. He's lost a lot of his team it sounds like..

But the bottom line is Rhoades did talk to him. Maybe they went to a hotel, who knows.
Quinton
If this is it and Rhule's oc is retained, not a good trade off. MR needs to take Nix along but somehow i doubt that happens. The best thing that could come out of this not ideal situation is at the very least a new oc and retweeked offense.
Buttpanda
Please don't be Fuente..
Buttpanda
From what I've read Fuente's OC is even worse than Nixon..
Quinton
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

But the bottom line is Rhoades did talk to him. Maybe they went to a hotel, who knows.

Everyone is going to be upset in this situation since its so late in the game. Rhule leaving late (nfl) makes our search unusually late. Solid programs (still consider Va Tech solid) rarely lose their coach this late and will be reeling if it happens. Its a bad situation for all but obviously unavoidable. They are rightly ticked off
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

Big_Pumpin said:

I'll be a loyal fan and will get on board with whoever Mack picks....but a Fuente hire feels like a big wet fart to me.
"Big wet fart" is a little over the top, but I, too, will be disappointed if he's the man.

He's a fine coach, but he's a lot like Sonny Dykes to me. There's just not much upside to get excited about.
oso de esqui
I made the mistake of not supporting the Rhule hire before, but I will support the hire with my continued small contributions and attendance but this is starting to look bad on several levels.
DanaDane
Lotta hand wringing going on in this thread for no reason.
RegentCoverup
It's worth mentioning that the business of athletics is starting to divest itself from direct university management more and more. As evidenced by the growth of IMG, learfield and JMI. It's a safe bet that employees of those cos are here on the site, not being paranoid, just saying don't assume everyone is a sincere fan. Too much money to be made!

There are generally two types of ADs, univ administrators and business people. They are either one or the other Not to single him out, but Ian was the only person that wanted the AD job when it was offered to him. He was the definition f university administrator, It's a better job now, we have a lot of ranked teams and our grad rates are excellent, but that was the past and the future is very much wide open.

The model d college football has a lot of problems, this episode is proof that paying millions to mercenary coaches and hoping to win has a lot of downside. I hope they hire Napier, save some money, and spend the money on the program and assistants,

there has gotta be a way to do this.. just can't think of a lot of Coaches that can meet these kind of expectations,
RegentCoverup
DanaDane said:

I wouldn't call it hand wringing.

I'd call it flashbacks to Kevin Steel and the lame duck years of GuyMo,
RegentCoverup
Compounding said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Everyone is going to be upset in this situation since its so late in the game. Rhule leaving late (nfl) makes our search unusually late. Solid programs (still consider Va Tech solid) rarely lose their coach this late and will be reeling if it happens. Its a bad situation for all but obviously unavoidable. They are rightly ticked off
Very true.

Neither school may end up better off, just too wide of a gap between expectations and reality,
RegentCoverup
Compounding said:

If this is it and Rhule's oc is retained, not a good trade off. MR needs to take Nix along but somehow i doubt that happens. The best thing that could come out of this not ideal situation is at the very least a new oc and retweeked offense.
The idea of keeping all the defensive coaches and bringing in a new offense could turn out well.
bear2be2
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

DanaDane said:

I wouldn't call it hand wringing.

I'd call it flashbacks to Kevin Steel and the lame duck years of GuyMo,
What are you talking about? The only coach who has been named in rumors has two 10-win seasons to his credit. Justin Fuente is not one of my top choices, but this coaching search has in no way hearkened back to the dark days.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.