Story Poster
Photo by Raymond Carlin III-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #8 Baylor (19-3; 7-2) at #10 Kansas (18-3; 7-1)

February 3, 2022

#8 Baylor (19-3; 7-2) travels to #10 Kansas (18-3; 7-1) on February 5th at 3pm CST in Allen Fieldhouse.  The game will be televised on ESPN.  

KenPom Prediction:  Kansas 76 Baylor 75

Torvik Prediction:  Kansas 77 Baylor 75

Evan Miyakawa Prediction:  Baylor 73 Kansas 73

Coaches

Kansas:    Bill Self (59); 746- 226 (540-121 at KU) 21 NCAAs; 13 Sweet 16; 10 Elite 8; 3 Final 4; 1 NC; 5 Level 1 Viol

Baylor:  Scott Drew (51); 411-227 overall (390-216 at Baylor); 9 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; FF; 1 National Championship

Head to Head:   26-6 Bill Self

Last 4:  2-2

Kansas Starters

Guard:  Dajuan Harris (SO) 6-1 170 lbs; 6 ppg; 4 asst; 2 st; 46% FG; 30% 3pt; 80% FT

*Guard:  Ochai Agbaji (SR) 6-5 215 lbs; 21 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 52% FG; 46% 3pt; 70% FT

Guard:  Christian Braun (JR) 6-6 220 lbs; 15 ppg; 6 reb; 3 asst; 51% FG; 32% 3pt; 81% FT

Forward:  Jalen Wilson (SO) 6-8 225 lbs; 9 ppg; 7 reb; 46% FG; 26% 3pt; 60% FT

Forward:  David McCormack (SR) 6-10 250 lbs; 9 ppg; 7 reb; 53% FG; 67% FT

Kansas Bench

Guard:  Jalen Coleman-Lands (SR) 6-4 190 lbs; 5 ppg; 46% FG; 42% 3pt; 80% FT

*Guard:  Remy Martin (SR) 6-0 175 lbs; 8 ppg; 3 reb; 3 asst; 44% FG; 36% 3pt; 76% FT

Forward:  Mitch Lightfoot (SR) 6-8 225 lbs; 5 ppg; 3 reb; 62% FG; 67% FT

Guard:  Joseph Yesufu (SR) 6-0 180 lbs; 2 ppg; 30% FG; 19% 3pt; 100% FT

Baylor Starters

Guard:  James Akinjo (SR) 6-1 190 lbs; 14 ppg; 3 reb; 6 asst; 2 st; 42% FG; 36% 3pt; 79% FT

*Guard:  Adam Flagler (JR) 6-3 180 lbs; 13 ppg; 2 reb; 4 asst; 42% FG; 38% 3pt; 74% FT

Forward:  Matt Mayer (SR) 6-9 230 lbs; 10 ppg; 5 reb; 2 st; 41% FG; 33% 3pt; 56% FT

Forward:  Kendall Brown (FR) 6-8 205 lbs; 10 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 65% FG; 33% 3pt; 76% FT

Forward:  Flo Thamba (SR) 6-10 250 lbs; 5 ppg; 5 reb; 1 blk; 58% FG; 60% FT

Baylor Bench

Forward:  Jonathan Tchatchoua (JR) 6-8 250 lbs; 8 ppg 7 reb; 68% FG; 46% 3pt; 75% FT

*Guard:  LJ Cryer (SO) 6-1 185 lbs; 14 ppg; 2 asst; 48% FG; 47% 3pt; 78% FT

Guard:  Dale Bonner (JR) 6-2 170 lbs; 3 ppg; 2 asst; 31% FG; 25% 3pt; 55% FT

Forward:  Jeremy Sochan (FR) 6-9 230 lbs; 9 ppg; 6 reb; 2 asst; 51% FG; 36% 3pt; 51% FT

*injuries, status uncertain

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #8 Baylor (19-3; 7-2) at #10 Kansas (18-3; 7-1)

19,009 Views | 208 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by GruntTuff
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Apparently, you did not see my correction.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Stefano DiMera
Let's wait till March rolls around till we see if we're healthy before predicting we won't make the tournament.
DanaDane
IowaBear said:

Keep in mind this is garbage KU team defensively. I expected to get beat today but it's time to significantly lower my expectations for the season. I'll be thrilled with a S16 appearance.
With Akinjo, Cryer and Flagler injuries that could leave them all out at any time, this could easily end in a Georgia State or Yale year.
Johnny Bear
DanaDane said:

Left golf long enough to check the boxscore and I see our 3 guards are 0-14 from the floor.

Sounds like 2004 or 2005.

Pretty much like our historically average game in Lawrence. For all intents and purposes over in the first five minutes.
historian
Johnny Bear said:

Fran actually said this could be "good for Baylor".

Seriously….
He was talking big picture. If they learn from this and play better the rest of the season, it could be. Not sure I buy into it but I understand what he was saying.
Jorkel
historian said:

Apparently you corrected it after he reposted yours
Branch155
IowaBear said:

Guard play hadn't been consistent all year that's not surprising.
Well, there's inconsistent -- like, I'm great one night and not so great the next night.

Then there's Jekyll and Hyde. Black and white. Night and day. God and Satan.
IowaBear
Careful those kind of thoughts will upset the sunshine pumpers on here. Even when healthy the guard play is still inconsistent. Kansas and Tech are the class of the B12 we're a ways behind either right now. Maybe that changes in the coming weeks
DanaDane
Johnny Bear said:

DanaDane said:

Left golf long enough to check the boxscore and I see our 3 guards are 0-14 from the floor.

Pretty much like our historically average game in Lawrence. For all intents and purposes over in the first five minutes.
I'll never understand how we crater so badly there. I guess I'll always have fond memories of Macio Teague and the Bears from '20.
IowaBear
Shouldn't the Bama beating have been good for BU? This is more demoralizing then anything we're getting our asses whipped
historian
Clearly they did not learn enough from that disaster.
BluesBear
Branch155 said:

Johnny Bear said:

Have we had any of our guards score a single point yet?
Akinjo 0-7
Flagler 0-4
Bonner 0-3
At what point does one of the 12 assistant coaches tell Akinjo to stop shooting the ball. How ****ing stupid are people...
Louise Romano
historian said:

No, I didn't. Sorry. I just watch the game and then visit the board during commercials. I don't blame you for a correction. LOL
GoodOleBaylorLine
DanaDane said:

Johnny Bear said:

DanaDane said:

I'll never understand how we crater so badly there. I guess I'll always have fond memories of Macio Teague and the Bears from '20.
It's like TCU in football. Somehow every single year, BU shows up unready to play and not appreciating the rivalry.
BleacherBum95
Akinjo first half stats:
0-7 FG
A turnover for every assist
At least 10 lost dribbles and opponent strips

I have been telling you guys that Akinjo ain't leading the Bears anywhere this season, and it has been obvious for quite a while now. And don't lay in on the "he's hurt" bullshaat. That's idiotic and only shows your own ignorance at this point.

When Cryer gets healthy, if Akinjo keeps starting I'm going to start seriously questioning CSD.

If Akinjo and Bonner are on the court.....you can bank that the Bears have zero chance. This one will be Kansas by 40 before it's over.
beardown55
l
beardown55
BleacherBum95 said:

Akinjo first half stats:
0-7 FG
A turnover for every assist
At least 10 lost dribbles and opponent strips

I have been telling you guys that Akinjo ain't leading the Bears anywhere this season, and it has been obvious for quite a while now. And don't lay in on the "he's hurt" bullshaat. That's idiotic and only shows your own ignorance at this point.

When Cryer gets healthy, if Akinjo keeps starting I'm going to start seriously questioning CSD.

If Akinjo and Bonner are on the court.....you can bank that the Bears have zero chance. This one will be Kansas by 40 before it's over.

guy is dog sh it out there
hey32g
I detected a chemistry problem on this team early on that I was afraid would emerge as the season progressed. I'm afraid I was right. I see way too much "me" and not enough "we". Someone (I won't say who) needs to be put at the end of the bench and left there.

When you have starter that physically turns his back on the coach while the coach is talking during a timeout you have a big problem.
Jorkel
GoodOleBaylorLine said:

DanaDane said:

Johnny Bear said:

DanaDane said:

It's like TCU in football. Somehow every single year, BU shows up unready to play and not appreciating the rivalry.

Rivalry?
IowaBear
Ball movement definitely lacks on this team. Not gonna pile on 1 player because the entire team sucks today. But watch KU offensively then watch us. Ball movement goes a long ways towards generating open looks. Dribbling the air out of the ball while everyone stands around does not. Kansas is a much much better offense team and this game is a Golden example of why that's the case
beardown55
"over the back" only called on one team
BluesBear
Cmon on coach....Put Mayer in at point...shake it up....do something....
Jack Bauer
21 mins until our guard scored 1st points
Ghostrider
We have no floor leader this year. No one that steps up. Last year we had 2 in Butler and Mitchell. We had Vital that brought the energy. This year everyone just looks at each other. Really thought Mayer would have been that guy.
IowaBear
Pitiful
Ghostrider
beardown55 said:

"over the back" only called on one team

The refs aren't the problem.
IowaBear
Mayer's just another dude. He's going to have a big games then he'll disappear for a bit. Rinse repeat
beardown55
not losing b/c of the ref$ but they sure are making it a lot worse.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
IowaBear said:

Mayer's just another dude. He's going to have a big games then he'll disappear for a bit. Rinse repeat

Just another dude. Wow.
Ghostrider
IowaBear said:

I remember last year when some posters thought he was a 1st rounder
beardown55
lol ref$$ not even trying to hide. That have serious coin on this game
Jorkel
beardown55 said:

lol ref$$ not even trying to hide. That have serious coin on this game

Baylor players must have money on Kansas too
GoodOleBaylorLine
LOL these refs. Losing control of a blow out because they can't stop bowing to Self.

The game is over. Just call it straight
beardown55
3 mins into the half and they are in the bonus. jfc vegas rules
DanaDane
We're shooting 24% from the floor and 17% from 3. I don't even know what to say.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.