Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: #11 Baylor (19-7; 8-5) vs #2 Houston (23-3; 10-3)

February 22, 2024

#11 Baylor (19-7; 8-5) hosts #2 Houston (23-3; 10-3) Saturday February 24 at 11am CST.  The game will be televised on CBS.

KenPom Prediction:  Houston 70 Baylor 67

Torvik Prediction:  Houston 69 Baylor 64

Evan Miyakawa:  Houston 73 Baylor 68

Haslametrics:  Houston 68 Baylor 64

Coaches

Houston:   Kelvin Sampson (68); 754-348 overall (255-77 at UH); 17 NCAAs; 7 Sweet 16s; 4 Elite 8s; 2 Final 4s

Baylor:  Scott Drew (53); 460-250 overall (440-239 at Baylor); 11 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; FF; 1 National Championship

Head to Head:  6-1 Sampson

Houston Starters

Guard:  Jamal Shead (SR) 6-1 200 lbs; 13 ppg; 4 reb; 6 asst; 45% FG; 35% 3pt; 80% FT

Guard: LJ Cryer (SR) 6-1 200 lbs; 15 ppg; 2 reb; 2 asst; 40% FG; 38% 3pt; 86% FT

Guard: Emanuel Sharp (SO) 6-3 205 lbs; 13 ppg; 4 reb; 38% FG; 35%pt; 84% FT

Forward:  javier Francis (JR) 6-8 240 lbs; 6 ppg; 6 reb; 61% FG; 54% FT

Forward:  J’Wan Roberts (SR) 6-7 235 lbs; 9 ppg; 7 reb; 2 asst; 55% 52% FT

Houston Bench

Guard:  Mylik Wilson (SR) 6-2 175 lbs; 4 ppg; 3 reb; 39% FG; 20% 3pt; 63% FT

Forward:  Joseph Tugler (FR) 6-7 230 lbs; 4 ppg; 4 reb; 53% FG; 46% FT

Guard: Ramon Walker (JR) 6-4 210 lbs; 2 ppg; 3 reb; 33% FG; 30% 3pt; 65% FT

Guard:  Damian Dunn (SR) 6-5 205 lbs; 7 ppg; 2 reb; 36% FG; 32% 3pt; 67% FT

Baylor Starters

Guard:  RayJ Dennis (SR) 6-3 180 lbs; 13 ppg; 4 reb; 7 asst;  49% FG; 38% 3pt; 71% FT

Guard:  Jayden Nunn (JR) 6-3 190 lbs; 11 ppg; 3 reb; 2 asst; 48% FG; 45% 3pt; 68% FT 

Guard:  Ja’Kobe Walter (FR) 6-5 185 lbs; 14 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 39% FG; 32% 3pt; 85% FT

Forward:  Jalen Bridges (JR) 6-9 225 lbs; 11 ppg; 5 reb; 2 asst; 45% FG; 39% 3pt; 86% FT

Forward:  Yves Missi (FR) 6-11 220 lbs; 11 ppg; 6 reb; 2 blocks; 65% FG; 59% FT

Baylor Bench

Guard:  Langston Love (SO) 6-5 210 lbs; 11 ppg; 3 reb; 46% FG; 49% 3pt; 79% FT

Forward:  Caleb Lohner (JR) 6-8 235 lbs; 2 ppg; 2 reb; 54% FG; 22% 3pt; 79% FT

Forward:  Josh Ojianwuna (SO) 6-10 240 lbs; 5 ppg; 3 reb; 79% FG; 59% FT

Guard:  Miro Little (FR) 6-4 185 lbs; 2 ppg; 47% FG; 38% 3pt; 72% FT

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: #11 Baylor (19-7; 8-5) vs #2 Houston (23-3; 10-3)

37,761 Views | 417 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by bear2be2
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
IowaBear said:

Bad feeling we're going to end this season on a huge skid. We get a trip to Lubbock Monday after this embarrassing beatdown
If you mean we play Tech after today you are wrong. We play TCU Monday.

UH was always going to be a tough game, and at least 3 of our last 4 are winnable. If you assume everyone remaining is going to be as good as Houston, you haven't been paying attention.
IowaBear
Ahhhh had em flipped. Thanks for the correction!
Mitch Henessey
IowaBear said:

Depends on the matchup. We're nothing special and there isn't gonna be a single 11,12 seed that will be intimidated by us. (Will end up as a 5-6 seed imo)
Unless the bottom falls out, there's no way we're anything lower than a high 5 seed, and likely a 3-4. We won't get punished by the committee for losing to a top 10 team.
IowaBear
I have been paying attention. Plenty of attention… think you should do the same. We go to TCU and Tech. Those are both long shots. KU is coming to Waco healthy and they beat us without their best player in Lawrence. I think we can beat Tx
Fre3dombear
Missi may lead the team in missed layups / dunks
Quinton
That Missi layup was the start. Needed that badly
CHP Bear
IowaBear said:

Bad feeling we're going to end this season on a huge skid. We get a trip to Lubbock Monday after this embarrassing beatdown
About two weeks ago we had a post asking how many of the remaining games we would win. I was thinking 4 - 3 for last seven. From what I've seen over the last seven games 20 wins could be out of reach.
IowaBear
We will get punished if we limp into the post season and that's entirely possible if not likely at this point.
We could easily lose out . And no I'm not saying we will. I'm saying it's entirely possible.
Stefano DiMera
Every time we struggle in a game people think we're gonna lose out good Lord ..
HuttoBear
oh but he is supposed to be one and done- how can that be
Mitch Henessey
I predict Houston gets run early in the tourney because of refs who won't be content to let them hand check the hell out of everyone.
IowaBear
I never said we're gonna lose our. I said it's possible with the schedule difficultly. Quit putting words in my mouth to fit your agenda. The remaining teams are as good or better than us. I know that's hard for sone to comprehend.
Mitch Henessey
IowaBear said:

We will get punished if we limp into the post season and that's entirely possible if not likely at this point.
We could easily lose out . And no I'm not saying we will. I'm saying it's entirely possible.
The tournament committee no longer considers how a team finishes their season. Momentum has nothing to do with your seeding anymore.
Killing Floor
Their D is just another level. Wow.

Just keep working. Stay in it.
Stefano DiMera
Haha .the odds of us losing out are the same as us winning out probably..are you on of those that hears a strange noise on an airplane and starts screaming.
IowaBear
Losses do matter… not sure how people could argue otherwise
Mitch Henessey
Stefano DiMera said:

Every time we struggle in a game people think we're gonna lose out good Lord ..
It's emblematic of a fanbase with a very low basketball IQ. We're a football fanbase that happens to have a top tier basketball program.
Mitch Henessey
IowaBear said:

Losses do matter… not sure how people could argue otherwise
No one argued that. Now you're putting words in people's mouths.
CHP Bear
Mitch Henessey said:

I predict Houston gets run early in the tourney because of refs who won't be content to let them hand check the hell out of everyone.
Good prediction. And good observation.
HuttoBear
The FAT Lady has/has not sung?
saucebob
Now I know how teams felt when they played our '21Natty team.
rileyroo
The most disappointing part of this team is how often we get beat off of the dribble. Seems like we are always chasing and then relying on Missi to make a block.
Oldbear83
IowaBear said:

I have been paying attention. Plenty of attention… think you should do the same. We go to TCU and Tech. Those are both king shots. KU is coming to Waco healthy and they beat us without their best player in Lawrence. I think we can beat Tx
I think you should look closer at our games. We have actually been pretty consistent for the most part. Close wins and close losses in conference except for our wins against OU and WV.

I will tell you now we will beat TCU. As for Kansas, they beat us with their home-court advantage, which won't be at all the same at Foster. We will have great chances against Texas. Tech is a tough road game, but we will get to it when it's time/

Never let emotion make you too confident, or give up before we even play the game.
IowaBear
Well correct me if I'm wrong butttt wouldnt ending the season of a skid result in loses therefore impacting seeding?

historian
The stats speak volumes:

They are rebounding better
We have too many turnovers
The shooting differential is pathetic
etc

Right now our only saving grace is that they have quite a few fouls. If some of them get into foul trouble later we might be able to take advantage. But that's a thin thread to hold onto.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
IowaBear
You're guaranteeing a win vs TCU Monday ?
Bearsalwayswin
Walter
oldbear69
like i said last week, we finish 1-4 , maybe, but was counting on a win vs horns...we lose to ks, at tcu at tech and now texas game in doubt,,,,,i knew this team had issues after the blowout by a very mediocre sparty...we're a paper tiger, the gang that cant shoot straight,,,in what part of the game do we excell? lets see, cant defend, cant shoot, , cant rebound,and turn it over ,,all the boxes checked..believe its more disappointing than football...how is that even possible?...and please stop with the bad officiating...
Stefano DiMera
Btw ..is anyone's camera angle better?...CBS?
IowaBear
They were always gonna rebound better.
We needed to limit the turnovers and haven't done that yet which has contributed to their lead
Oldbear83
IowaBear said:

You're guaranteeing a win vs TCU Monday ?
Feel good. Don't bet money either way on my opinion.
Mitch Henessey
IowaBear said:

Well correct me if I'm wrong butttt wouldnt ending the season of a skid result in loses therefore impacting seeding?

And I'm saying, even if we end the regular season on a bit of a downswing, we've already put together a resume that would have us no lower than a top two 5-seed.
ImABearToo
Sure seems like it.
IowaBear
I'll take your word for it.
historian
Houston 7 fouls
Bears 3
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.