Petition for Brittney's release

39,195 Views | 264 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by historian
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AirBear said:

If you cannot grasp the concept of being able to support someone's right to protest without being able to support their cause-----then I cannot help you.

I can grasp it very easily. Here's reality though - If the person you were originally responding to under similar circumstances had said that Westboro Church is a bunch of low life scum, let them rot in a Russian jail, you with all your self-righteous "stand up for people's right to peacefully protest" supposed fervor, well you wouldn't have bothered to take their side and say you respect their right to protest, you'd have just let it go - why? Because the right to protest isn't the issue at all. It's whether or not some protests are less than honorable in how they are handled. That's it. You support the kneeling, not because of any right to protest, but because you support the kneeling. The right to protest is just a fake argument to make yourself look reasonable and objective rather than partisan.

For the vast majority, kneeling in protest of the flag is not good and worthy, it was viewed just like protesting at a funeral. Only difference is the TV has repeatedly told everyone that it's A-OK so people just roll with it and get desensitized. Again, we all know it's not really about rights, since nobody is questioning anyone's rights here.

Regardless, regarding the OP, despite her being a kneeler, I don't want her to rot, I hope she is released asap and that Russia doesn't go too hard on her for violating their laws - if in fact she even did.

AirBear
First, you sure have a bunch of assumptions about me and don't even know who I am.

Second, I do not know for sure why BG was kneeling during the National Anthem. So you really can't accuse me of supporting the cause because I don't know if it was about racial inequality, gay rights or some other gripe she has.

By the way, I took an oath to support the Constitutions of the United States and the State of Texas. So if I did what you assume I would do, then I would be violating my oath.

Stick to facts you actually know and not assumptions that that you make.

Have a nice life.
Oso del lago
You don't know me, i don't have to consider what you say, get out of my life, I'm better than you!

Typical discussions these days
lookin4awin
Big-O!-Bear said:

You don't know me, i don't have to consider what you say, get out of my life, I'm better than you!

Typical discussions these days
Most of us just want to see BG get back home.
Oso del lago
In reply to AirBear
slimecap
lookin4awin said:

Most of us just want to see BG get back home.

Praying for Brittney

robby44
Dallas Rep. Colin Allred Working On WNBA Star Brittney Griner's Release From Russia

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2022/03/10/dallas-rep-colin-allred-wnba-brittney-griner/
BUBBFAN
blackie said:

Freedom of speech was never meant to be freedom to only express the kind of speech that you like. Much of the discord in this country stems from both sides refusing to allow the other tribe to their speech and believe that their own speech is the only valid speech that should be heard. It doesn't help when the other side's speech is twisted, spun, exaggerated or taken out of context to negative extremes. If there is one activity our two dominant tribes in this country both excel at is denouncing and vilifying those with whom they do not agree, many times without even taking the time to even try to visualize themselves in the other person's shoes in an effort to understand why they think as they do. I suspect today the Founding Fathers would shake their heads at both tribes as to how their intent of the Constitution has been twisted to fit political agendas that have no room for people unlike their own tribe.

Amen blackie
BUBBFAN
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

AirBear said:

If you cannot grasp the concept of being able to support someone's right to protest without being able to support their cause-----then I cannot help you.

I can grasp it very easily. Here's reality though - If the person you were originally responding to under similar circumstances had said that Westboro Church is a bunch of low life scum, let them rot in a Russian jail, you with all your self-righteous "stand up for people's right to peacefully protest" supposed fervor, well you wouldn't have bothered to take their side and say you respect their right to protest, you'd have just let it go - why? Because the right to protest isn't the issue at all. It's whether or not some protests are less than honorable in how they are handled. That's it. You support the kneeling, not because of any right to protest, but because you support the kneeling. The right to protest is just a fake argument to make yourself look reasonable and objective rather than partisan.

For the vast majority, kneeling in protest of the flag is not good and worthy, it was viewed just like protesting at a funeral. Only difference is the TV has repeatedly told everyone that it's A-OK so people just roll with it and get desensitized. Again, we all know it's not really about rights, since nobody is questioning anyone's rights here.

Regardless, regarding the OP, despite her being a kneeler, I don't want her to rot, I hope she is released asap and that Russia doesn't go too hard on her for violating their laws - if in fact she even did.

Amen to this also.
fredbear
I don't doubt BG does drugs recreationally, I don't doubt she carelessly had vape paraphernalia in her possession. I don't doubt her behavior has sometimes offended many of us, But,

1 BG has been thru the Russian airport hundreds of times. She "just happened" to get caught this time because, with their athletes spurned, Russia was looking for a high profile American athlete to use and embarrass.

2. Putin's account of any story can NEVER be trusted.

3. Though BG has sometimes demonstrated the embarrassing behavior of a person with complex psychological neediness, she played her heart out for both BU and America on numerous occasions. She deserves both our respect and support.

4. No one should be a lost cause to the Christian family at BU. BG can learn from this if she is redeemed from Russian captivity. I think and pray for her release everyday. I would not want anyone to spend 10 years in a Russian prison for recreational drug issues.

5. Hating on BG just contributes to the way she perceives herself as an outcast and reveals issues within the heart of the hater.

6. Give grace, be grace. Pray for release regardless of whether you agree with her stances on social issues.
Oso del lago
Just wondering if those criticizing Russian drug laws cared about our own ridiculously harsh drug laws over the last 3 decades?? Just wondering
fredbear
Ours too harsh as well. No one saying otherwise. Politicians did the get tough on drugs show to get elected. Do less time for murder than a bag of weed.
Proud 1992 Alum
There was an article in the Wall Street Journal today on Griner. It was not encouraging. It discussed similar recent cases.

My takeaways were:

1. Acquittals are extremely rare in Russia.
2. Prison sentences can be severe.
3. Due to (1) and (2), a plea bargain may be her best option with hopefully a light sentence.
4. Political diplomacy is the usual avenue to be able to get out of the country. But this can take months and sometimes involves the highest levels of negotiations. One recent case involved Putin and former Prime Minister Netanyahu of Israel.
5. Given that Russia and America are at their lowest point diplomatically since the collapse of the Soviet Union, diplomacy may not work as well or as quickly as it otherwise might.

Keep Brittney in your prayers.
slimecap
Praying for Brittney

UPDATE
March 11, 2022
Excerpts
.. It's still not clear exactly where Griner is being detained now
.. US Representative Colin Allred said the US Embassy has requested consular access to her but has been denied for 3 weeks
.. Allred said Griner has been in contact with her Russian lawyer, who is in touch with her agent and her family back home
.. "So we do know that she's okay," Allred said, adding that he's also been in contact with the player's agent

- Excerpts from CNN article, 11 March 2022
slimecap
Proud 1992 Alum said:

Keep Brittney in your prayers.
Praying for Brittney
SonOfZuno
She is did, or did not, have illegal drugs on her. That question really must be answered first.
Oso del lago
SonOfZuno said:

She is did, or did not, have illegal drugs on her. That question really must be answered first.

Cereal?
slimecap
Praying for Brittney

Lynnp550
Big-O!-Bear said:

SonOfZuno said:

Cereal?
Why would you say this? If she had drugs then she should rot in hell?

The truth may always be "he said she said."

Russia has been known to plant drugs when they want to arrest someone. Quite likely US as well.

We have imposed sanctions on Russia. What better retribution/leverage than holding an American citizen who is a highly- recognized sports figure?

Innocent until proven guilty, people.
McCavebear
Release Britney.

Damn Putin and his dictatorship, Arrest THAT *******.
McCavebear Lives!
McCavebear
******* rhymes with bass turd
McCavebear Lives!
Oso del lago
Lynnp550 said:

Big-O!-Bear said:

SonOfZuno said:

Cereal?
Why would you say this? If she had drugs then she should rot in hell?

The truth may always be "he said she said."

Russia has been known to plant drugs when they want to arrest someone. Quite likely US as well.

We have imposed sanctions on Russia. What better retribution/leverage than holding an American citizen who is a highly- recognized sports figure?

Innocent until proven guilty, people.

Its whatever Russia says it is. This isn't the USA where there is still a little bit of facts and evidence that must be provided.
Lynnp550
"….facts must be provided"? Are you texting while drinking?
Oso del lago
Lynnp550 said:

Probably. What are you taking exception to? You think she is going to get an American style fair shake trial?
slimecap
beartrackster said:

Saw on talk show just now for people to go to change.org to sign a petition to make Brittney Griner's release a priority.
Praying for Brittney

UPDATE
March 16, 2022

Nearly 60,000 fans have signed an online petition,
organized by Ms Tamryn Spruill,
demanding the US government prioritize her safe return

- Excerpt from Holly Honderich, BBC News, 16 March 2022
Lynnp550
Big-O!-Bear said:

Lynnp550 said:

Probably. What are you taking exception to? You think she is going to get an American style fair shake trial?
Just curious why anybody expects - or needs - facts in order to assess…..what? Whether to support Brittney or not? The facts criteria just seemed odd.
riflebear
Oso del lago
Lynnp550 said:

Big-O!-Bear said:

Lynnp550 said:

Just curious why anybody expects - or needs - facts in order to assess…..what? Whether to support Brittney or not? The facts criteria just seemed odd.

You misread, in America you need facts and evidence to convict. In Russia, is whatever they say is what happened. Drink more.
slimecap
riflebear said:

Praying for Brittney

Hi riflebear,
Appreciate the article. Thank you for posting !!
slimecap
Praying for Brittney

UPDATE
March 17, 2022

bawitdaball
slimecap said:

Praying for Brittney

UPDATE
March 17, 2022

Customary for pre-trial detention to be extended up to 12-18 months. This will likely be a long road that is further complicated by the ongoing war.
The Claw

I read an article that asked the question "What if Tom Brady was currently being held by Russian officials; would the response be different?" Unfortunately, I think so.

Oso del lago
Yup but he has exponentially more money and legal representation. It would be put to use
bawitdaball
The Claw said:

I read an article that asked the question "What if Tom Brady was currently being held by Russian officials; would the response be different?" Unfortunately, I think so.

I don't think Tom Brady would have an agent that allowed him anywhere near Russia in the last 6 months.
The Claw
bawitdaball said:

The Claw said:

I don't think Tom Brady would have an agent that allowed him anywhere near Russia in the last 6 months.

I think you missed the point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.