Petition for Brittney's release

39,204 Views | 264 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by historian
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Praying for Brittney
Oso del lago
You ever seen something as stupid as handcuffing yourself to someone twice your size that could snap your arm like a twig. The Russians never fail to depress me. They have such potential, that they never fail to squander
Guy Noir
Well, tomorrow is July 1, 2022 and Griner is supposed to go to trial. Prayers for Brittney and that the Russians end the passive aggressive delay tactics. I think the innocent/guilty verdict is in the hands of whatever the Russians choose. Hopefully it will be a point where negotiations for her release can constructively move forward.
slimecap
Praying for Brittney

July 1, 2022
Heart
Many Prayers for BG
GelaBear
I heard this "court" has about a 1% acquittal rate. She's a political prisoner. Prayers for her safety, health and release.
Russell Gym
She plead guilty.
baylorbear33
Well, I guess that answers the question of whether or not she did, in fact, have the illegal item in her possession.
Oso del lago
baylorbear33 said:

Well, I guess that answers the question of whether or not she did, in fact, have the illegal item in her possession.

You serious Clark?
slimecap
Praying for Brittney

BUGWBBear
Big-O!-Bear said:

baylorbear33 said:

You serious Clark?

You could ask that question to any moron in here who thinks it's not against the law of a foreign country to bring it in.
historian
In theory, it could be a legal maneuver similar to plea bargaining in the U.S. But this is the Russian judicial system. I don't know much about how it works but I doubt it resembles our system except in maybe broad outlines.

As for all the joking about gulags, those ended with Gorbachev or the fall of the Soviet Union. But since the commies inherited Siberian prison camps from the tsars, it's quite possible the modern Russian prison system has something similar. The Russian political system is more of a kleptocracy than democratic or republican. (Some might say the same about our increasingly dysfunctional government).
Russell Gym
Ten years is a lot for some vape pens, even by Texas standards.
Russell Gym
historian said:

In theory, it could be a legal maneuver similar to plea bargaining in the U.S. But this is the Russian judicial system. I don't know much about how it works but I doubt it resembles our system except in maybe broad outlines.

A guilty verdict is a necessary step towards negotiating a prisoner swap or outright release. This was expected. I don't think that Russia is going to get The Merchant Of Death in a straight up exchange, though.
Russell Gym
historian said:

As for all the joking about gulags, those ended with Gorbachev or the fall of the Soviet Union. But since the commies inherited Siberian prison camps from the tsars, it's quite possible the modern Russian prison system has something similar. The Russian political system is more of a kleptocracy than democratic or republican. (Some might say the same about our increasingly dysfunctional government).

To paraphrase Eisenhower, when the American people can no longer accept the rulings of its courts (or the outcomes of its elections), then the end of the American system is not far off.
slimecap
SonOfZuno
baylorbear33 said:

Yep, like Ive been saying but getting crucified for. It was an honest option on the table that any reasonable person would have to accept as reality. Not all the blinded homers that were convinced she was a "political prisoner" and should be afforded some kind of celebrity special entitlement.

Not happy about it, but I all-along thought this would be the result. She did have the drugs; and knowingly took the risk. Most likely not the first time she's traveled with it. Only the first time she got caught.
SonOfZuno
slimecap said:

What the.....
You can't drag me into "The Baylor Family" on this one!

Shame on you - "Baylor Athletics" should have never weighed in with such a political-driven, morally tone deaf stance. Disappointed in my alma mater for allowing this (and all of the other school) posts on this matter, but not surprised. The entire institution has been moving more and more to the extreme liberal left under the new President.

C'mon -- When you travel abroad, or even to other US states, you are under their jurisdiction laws and covenants.....period. You don't carry the rights and protections of American law and citizen freedom rights around with you into other countries like some insurance card. You now fall under their rules. Any half-educated person would know this.
MrGolfguy
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
slimecap
Praying for Brittney

July 14, 2022

" ... one of Griner's attorneys, Maria Blagovolina, said in a statement that the director of BC UMMC Ekaterinburg, the team for which Griner played in western Russia, spoke on her behalf.

Maxim Ryabkov 'gave a positive description of Brittney Griner during his speech in court, noting her outstanding abilities as a player and personal contribution to strengthening the team spirit, which allowed the team to achieve the highest results in the Russian basketball premier league and in international competitions for many years,' the statement said."

- CNN Update @ 12:44 PM ET, 14 July 2022
slimecap
Praying for Brittney

July 15, 2022

"On Friday her defense team submitted more documents to the court, including around 20 character references from different charities and sporting organizations, as well as medical records purporting to show Griner, a 6-foot-9 native of Houston, had a history of injuries that has resulted in severe chronic pain.

Her lawyers also submitted a document granting permission for the use of cannabis for medical purposes to treat severe chronic pain issued by Arizona's Department of Health, and the player's doping test results, all of which were negative.

The hearing was adjourned to July 26, after the defense requested more time to prepare."

- Excerpts from NBC News, 15 July 2022
historian
Brittney's situation appears to be more complicated.
SonOfZuno
slimecap said:

Praying for Brittney

July 15, 2022

"On Friday her defense team submitted more documents to the court, including around 20 character references from different charities and sporting organizations, as well as medical records purporting to show Griner, a 6-foot-9 native of Houston, had a history of injuries that has resulted in severe chronic pain.

Her lawyers also submitted a document granting permission for the use of cannabis for medical purposes to treat severe chronic pain issued by Arizona's Department of Health, and the player's doping test results, all of which were negative.

The hearing was adjourned to July 26, after the defense requested more time to prepare."

- Excerpts from NBC News, 15 July 2022
Hey, if someone of Lebron James' standing says she's ok then that should be enough for the Russian legal system, right? LMAO

"....for medical purposes to treat severe chronic pain...." Sure, so say a lot of other people too. Can't blame them for taking that shot, I would.

And, since Arizona says it's ok....the world should too? Makes sense....not. LMAO Go to Russia, you are under Russian law. It's not complicated.

I wish her well, but it does appear that she did break Russian law. We'll all see how this plays out. But if her celebrity-ism alone gets her out......then there are a LOT of other Americans in Russian prison that deserve to come home immediately too. Where's Lebron on them? I'll wait......
ScottS
Facebook

A trade?
slimecap
Praying for Brittney
lookin4awin
Yes indeed!
Russell Gym
US offers Russia deal for Brittney Griner, Paul Whelan The Biden administration has offered a deal to Russia aimed at bringing home WNBA star Brittney Griner and another jailed American Paul Whelan.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/27/politics/griner-whelan-biden-offer-viktor-bout-exchange-russia-arms-dealer/index.html
BluesBear
slimecap said:

Baylor. She BROKE the LAW. Wise up. Lucky for her, Old Joe (not sure which version) is gonna get her sent home so we can endure a month long service of talk shows, etc. I'm sure her Book will hit the stores by Christmas. She might even make the cover of time magazine as Person of the Year.
Lynnp550
I just heard that we have offered a trade for Brittney and another American being held.
Lynnp550
WASHINGTON (AP) The U.S. has offered a deal to Russia aimed at bringing home WNBA star Brittney Griner and another jailed American, Paul Whelan, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Wednesday. In a sharp reversal of previous policy, Blinken also said he expects to speak with his Kremlin counterpart for the first time since before Russia invaded Ukraine.
pwactwac
Yes, apparently we offered up The Merchant of Death who purposely sold hardware to those who targeted Americans. Sounds like a great trade…smh

"Viktor Bout, a former Soviet military officer, is currently serving a 25-year prison sentence in the United States on charges of conspiring to kill Americans, acquire and export anti-aircraft missiles, and provide material support to a terrorist organization."
historian
Politics & politicians!!
BUGWBBear
ScottS said:

Facebook

A trade?

Yeah. 3 first round draft picks for 3 years.
BUmoneymaker
Bet she never thought when dunking over b12 opponents she would be the focus of a high level international prisoner swap with one of the most notorious arms dealers of the century, one who had Nick Cage play in a major motion picture. Lordy this has got to be the craziest story ive read all year.

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
slimecap
Praying for Brittney

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.